• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone doing Oxfam Trailwalker 2016?

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
For the first time in years I have no fitness goals. Normally there is a judo competition, last year I did the VDLP and I need something to work towards. The Oxfam is something on my bucket list although I would have to do it in a strange city with a team I have never met. Probably would aim at doing something in June or later. The idea is percolating away in the back of my brain...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Donna, what part of Aust are you in? I'm in Perth and seriously considering doing the Oxfam this year. Ours is on the weekend of Sept 16-18. As you will know it requires a team of four, I asked a few friends last year and they all denied ever receiving the email!!
I do have one friend who has said he will do it with me this year but we still need two more. I asked my son, who graciously declined but noted that it commences on my birthday and commented that a 100km walk was a very 'disturbing' way to celebrate!

Hi Donna, what part of Aust are you in? I'm in Perth and seriously considering doing the Oxfam this year. Ours is on the weekend of Sept 16-18. As you will know it requires a team of four, I asked a few friends last year and they all denied ever receiving the email!!
I do have one friend who has said he will do it with me this year but we still need two more. I asked my son, who graciously declined but noted that it commences on my birthday and commented that a 100km walk was a very 'disturbing' way to celebrate!
I'm in Darwin so it doesn't matter which one I do - they are all equally far away! Those dates potentially are doable. I wonder if my teenage daughter would be interested as it probably would fit a requirement for her Duke of Edinburgh...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Donna, I am still interested. I am leaving in 5 weeks to walk the Camino Frances, SJPP to Finesterre. I have had a bit of problem with my left ITB over the last few weeks (had surgery on the right about 15 years ago). I have been doing lots of stretching and glute and hip strengthening to overcome it but I'm keen to see how I go with CF first. Would you be happy to wait until the end of May for a commitment? If all goes well through CF I'm very keen to make that my next physical challenge. I will speak to my friend (Fab) this weekend and confirm that he is still keen. How did you go with your daughter, is she interested or would we need to find a fourth team member? My husband and Fab's wife would most likely be support crew but if someone else was needed that shouldn't be problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Donna, I am still interested. I am leaving in 5 weeks to walk the Camino Frances, SJPP to Finesterre. I have had a bit of problem with my left ITB over the last few weeks (had surgery on the right about 15 years ago). I have been doing lots of stretching and glute and hip strengthening to overcome it but I'm keen to see how I go with CF first. Would you be happy to wait until the end of May for a commitment? If all goes well through CF I'm very keen to make that my next physical challenge. I will speak to my friend (Fab) this weekend and confirm that he is still keen. How did you go with your daughter, is she interested or would we need to find a fourth team member? My husband and Fab's wife would most likely be support crew but if someone else was needed that shouldn't be problem.
My 15 year old daughter is smart. She wants to go shopping in Perth. So she is happy to volunteer as non-driving support crew and is happy to be bossed around. So we need an extra. Maybe the Camino will provide!

Update: Cathy and I are doing the Oxfam! September is when it all happens so training has started. Getting the appropriate gear together has started. But more importantly fundraising has started!
https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/my/team/25721
If you can spare some cash, please consider directing some in our team's direction because the raising funds is the important bit. If the Camino teaches nothing else, it teaches about giving. And this is our (and your) chance to give a little back to some of the most disadvantaged people out there in Australia and overseas in Africa, Asia, South America and the Pacific.
So support Team Lucky Dux!

FB_IMG_1474111096532.jpg To quote one of my heroes: "We've knocked the bastard off".
And we met all of our goals thanks to our fantastic support crew and the Oxfam volunteers. Absolutely amazing experience. Feel free to check out the team results via the link and there is still time to give if you wish to do so.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well done guys! Our finish line photo is in the pouring rain and we don't look in the slightest victorious. You look like you enjoyed yourselves.

I was in Albergue mode on the last Segment getting faster and faster because all I wanted to do was get over that bloody line and not walk another step. On that last leg I am powered by adrenaline, caffeine and Nurofen. We met all our goals and I am so pleased we stopped for 3 hours sleep. I think it made all the difference.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back