• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone done a Camino Frances with someone with limited mobility

Socalgal

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 17
HI there, I am planning on doing some of the Camino Frances with a family member with MS. He can only walk 3 miles per day. I am thinking of us walking the 3 miles then getting some sort of transportation to the next stage. Any ideas from those of you who have attempted the Frances like this?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
HI there, I am planning on doing some of the Camino Frances with a family member with MS. He can only walk 3 miles per day. I am thinking of us walking the 3 miles then getting some sort of transportation to the next stage. Any ideas from those of you who have attempted the Frances like this?

Reach out to Penny Kingma on this forum.

She has MS and a Compostela

Also, If you go to Rome2rio.com.

Put in starting location and destination for the day.

The route will show you stops along the way.

Pick astop about 4, 6, or 8 minutes from the day’s destination and walk from there.

Or, walk to a bus stop, a few miles out then bus to destination.

Just make certain you map it out.

You don’t want to start walking, tire along the way, and a few kilometers from assistance.

There may be some towns with limited bus service.

In that case take a taxi.

This is doable.

Just takes planning.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Where ever you do stop also consult with the hospitilaire, the reception desk, or the casa rurale manager as to bus times a-n-d the name and phone number of a reliable local taxi driver. There are often many business cards and adertisements for taxis and drivers as you enter but best to ask for a recommendation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did a "slow Camino" trip last year with two ladies.
One walked most of the stages.
One could only walk a VERY short distance and bussed or taxied the rest of the way each day.
I broke the stages up into about 8-10 K and they walked from Sarria to Santiago (not from SJPP).
It shouldn't be difficult to do with a good guidebook. You may have to book private lodging in some places if you're using pack transport. I'm not sure what this means in terms of the Compostela. My lady who walked each step got hers. The other lady didn't but didn't care. She got a Certificate of Distance, I believe. I didn't go to the Pilgrim Office with her so I'm not sure, but she seemed satisfied.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

3 miles/day sounds great, and if it's any help, the handicapped may legitimately use motor assistance, and their accompanying pilgrims/guides may even go so far as to use cars and such legitimately along the pilgrimage for any religious/Compostela certificate purposes.

But bring some good documentation showing the handicap, and I'd suggest trying to obtain for yourself a letter from a priest supporting your purpose of assistance towards your friend and his own pilgrimage. Then focus on helping your friend and letting him help you, and you can have a great Camino !!!

Possibly grab a lightweight sports wheelchair for him so that he can experience a bit more of the Camino than he can walk ?

Thanks for taking the time to give some input on my dilemma everyone. Any other suggestions welcomed too.....

I've got drop foot in both feet and require ankle-foot orthotics to walk. Without them (primarily in bathrooms and showers), it's a struggle.

On the Frances in 2017 (from SJPP) and the Portuguese in 2019 (from Porto) there were very few showers and baths equipped for disabled access outside the larger cities in the places I happened to stay. I took a plastic grip handle that affixes to smooth shower walls, and it came in handy. There are also a lot of places that have no shower hooks or benches to change on.

Where there were facilities for the disabled, I passed the "eye test" and did not require any documentation. :) This amounted to using a shower/toilet combo that was mostly out of use as a shower, or requesting a bottom bunk.

Many albergues have all their sleeping facilities upstairs, so being able to climb stairs is a requirement.

Alone among my Camino friends, I was grilled in the Compostela office about whether I had used motor vehicle transportation to complete the Camino in 2017 (again, probably because of the "eye test"), which I consider a second badge of honor with that Compostela!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've got drop foot in both feet and require ankle-foot orthotics to walk. Without them (primarily in bathrooms and showers), it's a struggle.

On the Frances in 2017 (from SJPP) and the Portuguese in 2019 (from Porto) there were very few showers and baths equipped for disabled access outside the larger cities in the places I happened to stay. I took a plastic grip handle that affixes to smooth shower walls, and it came in handy. There are also a lot of places that have no shower hooks or benches to change on.

Where there were facilities for the disabled, I passed the "eye test" and did not require any documentation. :) This amounted to using a shower/toilet combo that was mostly out of use as a shower, or requesting a bottom bunk.

Many albergues have all their sleeping facilities upstairs, so being able to climb stairs is a requirement.

Alone among my Camino friends, I was grilled in the Compostela office about whether I had used motor vehicle transportation to complete the Camino in 2017 (again, probably because of the "eye test"), which I consider a second badge of honor with that Compostela!
Thanks so much for your response.Very positive!

You may want to see if you can find the video "I'll Push You." A heartwarming story of two friends, one with a neurological disease, who did the Camino together.

Buen Camino to you both. I admire your courage and your family member's tenacity.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back