• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone else walked without staying in Albergues?

Brissy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012) (2018) (2020)
At risk of being thought not a true pilgrim - has anyone else walked without staying in Albergues? We didn't intend to walk the whole way staying in private accommodation, but that's just how it worked out. Did I miss anything? I must say, that it was a very special spiritual time for me, and being an introvert, I wondered if it was perhaps better for me not to be sharing space every night. I did meet up with a lot of people and had many significant conversations when the opportunities arose. Any thoughts?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At risk of being thought not a true pilgrim - has anyone else walked without staying in Albergues? We didn't intend to walk the whole way staying in private accommodation, but that's just how it worked out. Did I miss anything? I must say, that it was a very special spiritual time for me, and being an introvert, I wondered if it was perhaps better for me not to be sharing space every night. I did meet up with a lot of people and had many significant conversations when the opportunities arose. Any thoughts?
Oh yes, Brissy, you absolutely missed the snorers, the rustlers at 5am, the flash-lighters, some very exotic smells, ice-cold showers and all the camaraderie and fellowship associated with it. Seriously, if you can afford the extra coins (if you're a pair, the difference is neglectable) you did the right thing and at that freed your albergue beds to some others on a tight budget.
One can still enjoy the company of other peregrino's over dinners and vino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hope that in asking this question you don't think that you missed out on anything! There are negatives and positives to the albergue experience. You missed out on sleepless nights with the snorers, early mornings with the flashlights and bag rustlers! It sounds like you had a great camino anyway. :)

We started sleeping in Alberques, but after Roncesvalles were not impressed.
People talked after bedtime. Snored loudly. Tossed loudly. Affected the air quality. Made noise in the EARLY morning.
We quickly came to believe that paying a little more, equals a better sleep (and a cleaner toilet).
For 80% of our walk, we stayed in double rooms.

We were well rested, had clean bodies, and enjoy the daily walk even more.

I myself am wondering how restless I would be at night in Albergues as I am a light sleeper and the noise etc. at night as described by the ones who have done their Camino would surely keep me awake. I start my (first ever) pilgrimage in 10 weeks with trepidation in my heart about the accommodation. And just like Brissy, I am an introvert, as you can imagine. If need be it would be worthwhile spending a little more in exchange for comfort and rest every night. After all, we need energy to keep going and finishing what we all travelled from home for. And finally, we do the Camino for our own individual reasons. The camaraderie is there during the walk and mealtime. We don't need it when it's time to sleep.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Brissy - it was your Camino to experience and enjoy - the pain, the joys, the heat, the cold. So whether you stayed in an Albergur, camped in a tent or stayed in a 5 star hotel it does not matter. I am inclined to agree with the comments of Pano. So no I doubt you missed much, unless you also chose to eat away from the pilgrims also. The eating, drinking, talking & singing are often the more important things.

Maybe it would have been better for me to share my various noises at night with others (snoring etc) but, in the end, I thought I would keep that to myself and my much better half.

I thought I was a very fine pilgrim to do that!!
I have no regrets and we met tons of nice folks so no, you are not less of a pilgrim, and yes, others have done it the same way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first recorded pilgrim to Santiago was the Bishop of LePuy. We can assume he did not stay in the most modest accommodations. The Paradors in Santo Domingo, Leon and Santiago were pilgrim accommodation long before the albergues existed. One can certainly stay in the best available places and still be a true traditional pilgrim.

In Spain you can stay in a hotel till midday. If you stay in an albergue you have to be out by nine or earlier. That wastes three entire hours of sleeping, dozing, watching the Karlos Arguinano cooking show, reading, loafing, chatting, tea drinking, coffee drinking, eating, eating again...

Even if you stay in an albergue you can sometimes sleep in during the cold season. Isabel and Pilar found me dozing in Rabanal when they were tidying up. Instead of giving me a dressing down they gave me brunch. I practically skipped up to Iron Cross that morning (or afternoon).

France is even more madrugador, but I managed to stay in an albergue on the Le Puy route till 11am (there was an Aubrac blizzard blowing and I had eating to do). When I eventually left the owners looked at me with admiration. At least, I think it was admiration.

I really like what PANO wrote:
"Seriously, if you can afford the extra coins (if you're a pair, the difference is neglectable) you did the right thing and at that freed your albergue beds to some others on a tight budget." I totally agree!
I think that no matter where you sleep you are a true pilgrim :) (Walking is the hard part!)
For me the sleepless nights, the snoring etc. was part of the Camino experiance - made me appreciate more the nights with no snoring (sometimes it was silent in a 20-bed dorm!) and made me feel more... humble, less demanding. (I'm not sure if I used the right English words). But I was 21 and for such a young pilgrim from a loud generation it is good to learn someting about sleepless nights and some hardships. I stayed in hotels five times, and that was so amazing! But after a couple of hours in my beautiful hotel room I would suddenly feel extremely lonely... Which normally doesn't happen to me, for I am one of those people who like being left alone.
One of the things that the Camino teaches us is to deal with our fears, so I always say one thing: if you stay at hostels just because you want to - that's great. If you stay in hotels out of fear (snoring, triedness) then do the brave thing, face it for a week or two, and after you are peaceful about sleeping in all conditions -- go back to the hotel rooms. But that's just an idea I have in my head after my first Camino and I don't want to sound in any way preachy, it's just a thought and I truly believe that every pilgrim has their own way of doing the Camino :)

My second Camino starts in two months, can't wait to be walking again :)
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Even if you stay in an albergue you can sometimes sleep in during the cold season. Isabel and Pilar found me dozing in Rabanal when they were tidying up. Instead of giving me a dressing down they gave me brunch. I practically skipped up to Iron Cross that morning (or afternoon)....

How right you are Robert! However on the camino there is little certainty any season; what may once have been need not always be. That's the charm of surprise. Late last November upon arrival in the then frigid mountain town Rabanal del Camino I, too, had planned as usual to stay in the large private Albergue de Pilar. However, the albergue was shut since Pilar was taking a well earned break. At the door Pilar's mother, Isabel, who is my age, graciously hugged me as a close family friend and kindly offered a tiny WARM guest room with FLANNEL sheets and private bath. What unplanned cozy luxury it was!! Every moment spent resting there was double pleasure.

MM

Hi, I'm just wondering what sort of difference there is in cost between albergues and private accommodation (for a solo walker)?

Dear Cate,

I walked the Camino as a solo walker in 2012, so that's the prices I know of:
albergues: from 5 to 15 euro per night
single rooms in hotels/hostals/casa rurales: from 25 to 40 euro per night

You can also find a friend (who doesn't snore :p) and share a twin room, that would be around 17-20 euro per person.

EDIT: I posted my message at the same time as Lisa, ooops :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there. I was a solo walker.
Albergees were €8-15. Pensions/Hostals ranged from €25-50.
Most of mine were 25.
I saved money by only eating once a day and having the Pilgrams menu or a bocadillo.. I snacked on fruit and chocolate.
So my average daily spend was around €35-45 a day. Approx €10 more than I had budgeted for.
Thanks Lise T, really helpful

Than
Dear Cate,

I walked the Camino as a solo walker in 2012, so that's the prices I know of:
albergues: from 5 to 15 euro per night
single rooms in hotels/hostals/casa rurales: from 25 to 40 euro per night

You can also find a friend (who doesn't snore :p) and share a twin room, that would be around 17-20 euro per person.

EDIT: I posted my message at the same time as Lisa, ooops :)
Thanks , I love that I can get such help and support so quickly!!

True pilgrim? what's that all about. Enjoy the experience. Take the bed that's there with grateful gratitude. I used to be the great pretender doing short rambles. St. Jaques et Bon Chemin for French effect,otherwise you'll remember Buen Camino.
Thanks. Yes I was more than grateful for the bed at the end of each day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When we walked in 2012 my brother insisted that we do an authentic Camino, ie that we stay in albergues every night, I told him I wanted to stay in a hostal at least one night a week but after about five days walking he had had enough with the large dorms and nightly snoring concerts, so after that we looked for a double room in the private albergues or hostals. Mind you it did not make much difference to my sleep as he could snore for Australia himself but the extra bit of privacy and comfort was great and we still ate with our Camino family each evening.

Oh yes, Brissy, you absolutely missed the snorers, the rustlers at 5am, the flash-lighters, some very exotic smells, ice-cold showers and all the camaraderie and fellowship associated with it. Seriously, if you can afford the extra coins (if you're a pair, the difference is neglectable) you did the right thing and at that freed your albergue beds to some others on a tight budget.
One can still enjoy the company of other peregrino's over dinners and vino.
HaHa… that's funny Pano. I think I may have brought my very own snorer along with me, but I'm used to the tone of this one. I probably did a little early morning rustling of my own too! So it's probably just as well that I didn't stay at Albergues because I would have been the one annoying everyone…..

Hola Brissy - it was your Camino to experience and enjoy - the pain, the joys, the heat, the cold. So whether you stayed in an Albergue, camped in a tent or stayed in a 5 star hotel it does not matter. I am inclined to agree with the comments of Pano. So no I doubt you missed much, unless you also chose to eat away from the pilgrims also. The eating, drinking, talking & singing are often the more important things.
Hello Saint Mike II,
Yes we were fortunate to be able to spend some evenings with other pilgrims and enjoyed singing and the company. Thanks for your comments

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Heya..

I lasted around 6 nights in Albergees...and then went private. It hurt my budget abit...well alot...but I dont regret it. I call myself an introverted extrovert. I like chatting with people but need space to recharge. I just couldn't relax in a room full of people even when just trying to sleep. It always felt like I was on duty. (Weird I know)

I still ate with people in the evenings, shared lunches, laughed and, cried with others. I formed amazing friendships.
The only difference was I didnt share bedrooms or bathrooms.

If I was to return for a third time....I would save up more and go private again.

Edit: Staying privately doesn't protect you from the snorers or early risers. You can still here them through the walls. But its nice to sit on the loo and not have the door rattle with the next person wanting to visit.

Plus you dont need to carry a towel or sleep liner/bag.
Hello Lise T
I am heartened to hear that others have made pilgrimages in the same way that we did, and yes, we posted the sleeping bags to Santiago early on - the packs were much lighter.

Maybe it would have been better for me to share my various noises at night with others (snoring etc) but, in the end, I thought I would keep that to myself and my much better half.

I thought I was a very fine pilgrim to do that!!
I have no regrets and we met tons of nice folks so no, you are not less of a pilgrim, and yes, others have done it the same way.
Hola Canucks,
I too think you must be a fine pilgrim - your better half can probably block out your snoring, but others may take time to get used to it. You are very thoughtful!

I really like what PANO wrote:
"Seriously, if you can afford the extra coins (if you're a pair, the difference is neglectable) you did the right thing and at that freed your albergue beds to some others on a tight budget." I totally agree!
I think that no matter where you sleep you are a true pilgrim :) (Walking is the hard part!)
For me the sleepless nights, the snoring etc. was part of the Camino experiance - made me appreciate more the nights with no snoring (sometimes it was silent in a 20-bed dorm!) and made me feel more... humble, less demanding. (I'm not sure if I used the right English words). But I was 21 and for such a young pilgrim from a loud generation it is good to learn someting about sleepless nights and some hardships. I stayed in hotels five times, and that was so amazing! But after a couple of hours in my beautiful hotel room I would suddenly feel extremely lonely... Which normally doesn't happen to me, for I am one of those people who like being left alone.
One of the things that the Camino teaches us is to deal with our fears, so I always say one thing: if you stay at hostels just because you want to - that's great. If you stay in hotels out of fear (snoring, triedness) then do the brave thing, face it for a week or two, and after you are peaceful about sleeping in all conditions -- go back to the hotel rooms. But that's just an idea I have in my head after my first Camino and I don't want to sound in any way preachy, it's just a thought and I truly believe that every pilgrim has their own way of doing the Camino :)

My second Camino starts in two months, can't wait to be walking again :)
Buen Camino!
Buen Camino….. enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there. I was a solo walker.
Albergees were €8-15. Pensions/Hostals ranged from €25-50.
Most of mine were 25.
I saved money by only eating once a day and having the Pilgrams menu or a bocadillo.. I snacked on fruit and chocolate.
So my average daily spend was around €35-45 a day. Approx €10 more than I had budgeted for.
Yes, eating once a day worked for us too. Usually there was a breakfast provided in the accommodation. We would leave early, then walk until around 3pm and stop for a main meal - Pilgrim menu - usually 8 to 10 euro each for 3 course meal, bottle of local wine and water! The extra amount for private accommodation then wasn't too hard to fit into the daily budget. As Pano said as a couple it worked out not too bad price-wise.

You are welcome.
Just another tip.
I either used the Brieley Guide to help me finding Pensions/Hostals. Or I found flyers in cafes or in the accomodation I was staying in.
I managed to make most of my bookings by myself over the phone. .or I politely asked random locals for help.
Or you could just turn up and ask if they have a room - as we did. It worked most times. Only once did we need to move on to another hotel, and that was in Leon, so there were plenty of places to choose from.

I hope that in asking this question you don't think that you missed out on anything! There are negatives and positives to the albergue experience. You missed out on sleepless nights with the snorers, early mornings with the flashlights and bag rustlers! It sounds like you had a great camino anyway. :)
Hello Fortview. I don't feel like I missed out on anything at all really. My time on Camino was full, rich and meaningful and I enjoyed every minute. I guess I was just wondering how it was for others who had a different pilgrimage. I love to hear the stories. I met up with one couple who were staying in the same house as us one night, who had stayed in Albergues the whole way up until then. They had a bed-bug experience at their most recent digs and were not keen to repeat it. Fortunately for us, one girl had a ukelele and a beautiful voice….

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How right you are Robert! However on the camino there is little certainty any season; what may once have been need not always be. That's the charm of surprise. Late last November upon arrival in the then frigid mountain town Rabanal del Camino I, too, had planned as usual to stay in the large private Albergue de Pilar. However, the albergue was shut since Pilar was taking a well earned break. At the door Pilar's mother, Isabel, who is my age, graciously hugged me as a close family friend and kindly offered a tiny WARM guest room with FLANNEL sheets and private bath. What unplanned cozy luxury it was!! Every moment spent resting there was double pleasure.

MM
You got flannel sheets in a private room! All I got was an early lunch after my sleep-in. It's a hard place, the Camino, and not always fair.

Flannel indeed!

You always miss something when you don't test your limits, such as giving up most of your privacy. Think of it as the difference between public school and home schooling. You get an education both places, but one place forces you to deal with peers while learning. As you note, though, you get a lot of pilgrim interaction even when staying in private accommodations. However, you do it, don't feel guilty or badly about it. Life is not exclusively about pushing to the edge, and anything you missed you may not really have missed.

For me, and we all walk our own Camino, I could not walk without staying in albergues.
I would choose hotels / pensions if there was no room at the inn.
I love the social aspect to staying there. Meals with friends you have just met on the trail; singing, and the telling of stories.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes. I walked the Camino del Norte with a group guided by Spanish Steps. Spanish Steps arranged for our overnight stays. I wanted the experience of walking and not to be worrying about where to sleep. It was the right way to go for me. Each to his own way. It is a valid experience either way . Enjoy yourself and make it your own.

We stayed in albergues through most of our camino.

But lots of private albergues that offered dorm beds for 5 euros also offered double rooms for 20 or 25 euros. If you're travelling with a partner, 10 euros each isn't much for a semi-private room! These rooms generally shared bathrooms with the rest of the pilgrims, and - of course - everyone ate together at night. So if you want privacy while sleeping, but you don't want to miss out of the community feel of the camino, I think that double rooms in a private albergue is the way to go!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Agree with Grayland .It was my intention to never, ever stay in an albergue. I was petrified at the thought of sharing a sleeping space with all those strangers. Terrified of disturbing people by needing the loo in the night. When we got to Zubiri , it was an albergue, or nothing. That first night, I lay awake, tense and scared all night, but survived. I grew to love the albergues, and loved the laughter and companionship. But we mixed it up and stayed in hostels or Casa rurals as well. Best of both worlds .

I came alone to walk the Camino Frances with no intention of staying in albergues. I can hardly tolerate my better half snoring in my ear much less strangers. It was a wise decision for me. My only complaint was that having reservations each night while comforting knowing I had a bed, meant that no matter how tired I was I could not stop earlier. I also couldn't add an extra day to rest or sight-see in Burgos and Leon. Staying in albergues allows much more flexibility in your day-to-day Camino. I met many wonderful pilgrims, sharing meals, coffee breaks, conversation or just the Camino itself. Did I miss anything? Probably. But what I got out of the experience was irreplaceable. I am going to walk the Portuguese route from Lisbon in 2015 and plan to do it the same way! Your Camino is totally your own. You don't have to suffer from sleep-deprivation for it to be meaningful. Those that believe you didn't have an "authentic" pilgrim experience need to start walking to Santiago again as they missed the entire spirit of the Camino!

I haven't walked yet but know myself well enough by now to know that I get cranky, achy and just generally don't feel well if I don't get enough sleep. I can't handle situations in my usual polite and humerous way. So I am planing on spending every 3-4th night in more private accommodation. I'll just figure out a way to afford it. I'm also planning on rest days in some places I particularly want to see and not pushing these bones and feet too hard.

During my 9 caminos more than 400 nights have been spent in pilgrim albergues often alone since generally I walk in late autumn/winter. Always it is a GREAT pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, take a HOT shower, chat with any other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another Camino day. BLISS!

MM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some of my best Camino memories are about saying “hi” and getting acquainted to complete strangers in next bunks, sharing an improvised dinner or breakfast, talking with hospitaleros and fellow pilgrims, exchanging comments about last stage, plans for next day or (invariably wrong) predictions about weather.
To me, staying in a hotel would not be the same. It would be too much as my daily life and routines.
Just my personal experience and feelings, friends. We are, fortunately, a very diverse bunch of people.

Last edited:
I just back from the Stevenson trail.....some gites full of hikers, some hotels. We had many big group dinners, and I must say, I am really, really enjoying an evening with no one around.

gitedinner.JPG

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have nothing against people not staying in albergues, but to me it sounds like most of the people defending their reason why they did no do it, are trying to make them self feel better about maybe missing a great part of the experience

I have nothing against people not staying in albergues, but to me it sounds like most of the people defending their reason why they did no do it, are trying to make them self feel better about maybe missing a great part of the experience

Nah, some people really don't like them.
My first Camino I had lunch with a funny, dry humour Brit. "Have you stayed in the Albergues? one word....Don't"

He had started off in them and decided that while some people love them, he had no need for that part of his pilgrimage. Guy Clark has a whole song about thst sort of contrast:

One man’s famine is another man’s feast, one man’s pet is another man’s beast
One man’s bat is another man’s ball, one man’s art is another man’s scrawl
One man’s friend is another man’s foe, one man’s Joesph is another man’s Joe
One man’s hammer is another man’s nail, one man’s freedom is another man’s jail
One man’s road is another man’s rut, one man’s if is another man’s but
One man’s treasure is another man’s trash, one man’s landin’ is another man’s crash

Last edited:
We stayed in albergues through most of our camino.

But lots of private albergues that offered dorm beds for 5 euros also offered double rooms for 20 or 25 euros. If you're travelling with a partner, 10 euros each isn't much for a semi-private room! These rooms generally shared bathrooms with the rest of the pilgrims, and - of course - everyone ate together at night. So if you want privacy while sleeping, but you don't want to miss out of the community feel of the camino, I think that double rooms in a private albergue is the way to go!
It sounds like a good option.. might try it next time…. can't wait!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
During my 9 caminos more than 400 nights have been spent in pilgrim albergues often alone since generally I walk in late autumn/winter. Always it is a GREAT pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, take a HOT shower, chat with any other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another Camino day. BLISS!

MM
You have spent more than 1 full year sleeping in albergues! I am overawed at the thought of this feat! you have been on the pilgrim road for a long time. I admire you.

I came alone to walk the Camino Frances with no intention of staying in albergues. I can hardly tolerate my better half snoring in my ear much less strangers. It was a wise decision for me. My only complaint was that having reservations each night while comforting knowing I had a bed, meant that no matter how tired I was I could not stop earlier. I also couldn't add an extra day to rest or sight-see in Burgos and Leon. Staying in albergues allows much more flexibility in your day-to-day Camino. I met many wonderful pilgrims, sharing meals, coffee breaks, conversation or just the Camino itself. Did I miss anything? Probably. But what I got out of the experience was irreplaceable. I am going to walk the Portuguese route from Lisbon in 2015 and plan to do it the same way! Your Camino is totally your own. You don't have to suffer from sleep-deprivation for it to be meaningful. Those that believe you didn't have an "authentic" pilgrim experience need to start walking to Santiago again as they missed the entire spirit of the Camino!
Its too bad that you had not much flexibility during your camino. If you walk in spring or autumn (or winter if you are keen) you will find that hotels/casa rurals will have a room without pre-booking. Maybe next time? I think that all on this forum have expressed a generosity of spirit and have not judged our pilgrimages based on accommodation choice. I am humbled among so many people who are generous of spirit. Thanks so much.

If “you” do decide to experiment with a double room, may I suggest one.

We stayed there in Sept. 2013. It was like an All-Include, 5-star, Camino resort.

It is a full days walk out of Leon. It is on the alternate route. The one that does not follow a really busy highway.

It costs (please, all you purist, block your ears and cover your eyes) 45 Eruos per person per night.

BUT..... it included a Lunch, a Supper, and a Breakfast. All from local, high quality stuff. Gourmet!

Very friendly, very beautiful. It is an old watermill and built on top of a stream.

If you want a oasis for a night, and treat yourself, this is it..... Molino Galochas

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Opps....
It was called Molino Galochas
I have just (re)edited my description to include the name
Thanks

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sounds great! We will be walking as a couple this time and intend to stay in private accommodation where we can, supporting local business as we go :D Albergues were great for the first four weeks last time, but I am in no hurry to go back to them this time. It is a different walk, for different reasons and with different aims. Most of the quality time I spent with other pilgrims was on the road or at a table anyway, not really in the albergues. But I still love them for what they are and that they make the camino possible!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Heya..

I lasted around 6 nights in Albergees...and then went private. It hurt my budget abit...well alot...but I dont regret it. I call myself an introverted extrovert. I like chatting with people but need space to recharge. I just couldn't relax in a room full of people even when just trying to sleep. It always felt like I was on duty. (Weird I know)

I still ate with people in the evenings, shared lunches, laughed and, cried with others. I formed amazing friendships.
The only difference was I didnt share bedrooms or bathrooms.

If I was to return for a third time....I would save up more and go private again.

Edit: Staying privately doesn't protect you from the snorers or early risers. You can still here them through the walls. But its nice to sit on the loo and not have the door rattle with the next person wanting to visit.

Plus you dont need to carry a towel or sleep liner/bag.

I am so with Lise T and all the others on this thread.
You can socialise and share to your heart's desire during the day but I have no desire to share bedroom space with malodorous noisome stentorian somnambulists :(
I had 10 years experiencing that at boarding school and have no desire to revisit those times:)

However, further to this thread it would be wonderful if one or all those who have stayed in hostals, hotels etc were to start a thread listing and recommending the places in which they stayed.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm just wondering what sort of difference there is in cost between albergues and private accommodation (for a solo walker)?
We paid average €45 per night for a double. I gather singles can get that down to €30

You can socialise and share to your heart's desire during the day but I have no desire to share bedroom space with malodorous noisome stentorian somnambulists :(
I had 10 years experiencing that at boarding school and have no desire to revisit that experience :)

However, further to this thread it would be wonderful if one or all those who have stayed in hostals, hotels etc were to start a thread listing and recommending the places in which they stayed.
Good idea bystander. In 2012 the average cost of a double was €30.00, some were €20.00, some €25 and some €40 to €45.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks 4 this thread. It makes me feel better about having to stay in non alburgue accommodation due to husbands health but he bought his backpack today and we are walking 13ks every day. Have driven for 3 hours to get to some hills with dirt tracks. We are on a journey before we even get to Spain!

Thanks 4 this thread. It makes me feel better about having to stay in non alburgue accommodation due to husbands health but he bought his backpack today and we are walking 13ks every day. Have driven for 3 hours to get to some hills with dirt tracks. We are on a journey before we even get to Spain!
Good on ye, if ye can walk 13k daily ye should have no problems.
Buen Camino.

I had 10 years experiencing that at boarding school and have no desire to revisit those times:)

There is a recent one. You may have to hunt to find it though.

€46,-
The whole purpose of albergues was to provide affordable accommodation for pilgrims. Not many people can afford to pay hotel prices every night for 30 or 40 days, hence cheaper, dormitory style accommodation. For those who can, go for it! For the rest of us, we are just grateful for a warm welcome, a bed and a hot shower.

Here is what you missed: Snoring, farting, cold showers, forced awake very early, being woken up by other pilgrims insisting on leaving by 6AM, being woken up in the night by lights going on. I have to confess that it was me in that albergue. Went to the bathroom at 2AM and noticed the lights in the dorm were on very dimly. I tried to turn them all the way off only to have them come on full bright and no way to turn them off. A fellow pilgrim came to the rescue. Boy, did I feel like a knuckle head. Then there are the communal meals, the singing and the prayers offered by spiritually guided pilgrims. I think you gained a solid nights sleep. I'd say it's a toss up. I mixed it up myself: a few nights in hostels, a few nights under the stars and a few nights in a private room. A "true pilgrim" is one who is guided by their heart's desire. You, my friend are a true pilgrim. Good for you!

The whole purpose of albergues was to provide affordable accommodation for pilgrims. Not many people can afford to pay hotel prices every night for 30 or 40 days, hence cheaper, dormitory style accommodation. For those who can, go for it! For the rest of us, we are just grateful for a warm welcome, a bed and a hot shower.
I don't find dormitory style sleeping difficult, and I know I am more likely to disrupt others by snoring than be disrupted myself. While doing the camino would be more difficult financially, I have budgeted to stay in hotels, including the Parador in Santiago this year. I didn't regret that.

By way of comparison, when I walked St Olav's Way, where the pilgrim support infrastructure is quite sparse, accommodation (only) costs averaged around 500 krona, or about 60 euro, a night. I am saving up for my next pilgrimage there, but it will take a couple of years to get the money together. Walking in Spain is just so much less expensive, and so more attractive to those seeking a pilgrim experience.

I prepared a 40 day itinerary for our Camino in April/May which has a choice of 3 hostals for each night. I called a night ahead to reserve except towards the end when I booked further in advance. I need to update it to what actually happened. If anyone would like this list you can PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.

€46,-
It sounds to me that you aren't reading the posts carefully or accurately if that is what you got out of people's varied choices and reasons for doing what they do. I don't get people trying to make themselves feel better about what they do....I get that they make their choices and, if someone asks a specific question, such as the OP, then they answer to the best of their abilities according to their experience.
There are great experiences no matter how you do your camino. They can be different but still great. To assume that someone is "missing a great part of the experience" shows a lack of awareness that you perhaps missed whatever experience they had.
Who cares? We all have different experiences every day on our own caminos......why would anyone want to be concerned about what someone else may or may not be experiencing at that time or any other time?
But, thank you for prefacing it by saying you have nothing against people not staying in albergues. That is a relief.

Well, anybody visiting this forum for a while may be already familiar with my stance on the significance of where a pilgrim chooses to sleep at night: much ado about nothing. A lot of folks want to set and proclaim to others the norms of pilgrimage and in doing so it only shows their own ignorance about pilgrimages, specifically as it pertains the Camino de Santiago. Personally, I did not stayed in Albergues and still managed to meet tons of great people, including touring many sites in the company of other pilgrims, and many communal dinners. I am heading out next week for my 6th time on the Camino (Frances) and have no intention whatsoever to stay in an albergue. I am sure somebody can benefit well more than I from that available bed. I will get up well rested, take my sweet time on the Camino and let others on the "Race to the Beds" rushed by, not a problem.

The Camino pilgrimage was probably never set out to be a fraternization trip to begin with. The goal was to make it to Santiago from your home. You had to prepare well to ensure a safe passage and arrival. Local churches offered baggage transfer services, wealthy families set up shelters and provided free food, wealthy pilgrims stayed in better accomodations and contributed to poor pilgrims passages, Kings and Queens built bridges, hospitals, lodgings, there was even the Knights of Templar "police force" that helped transport pilgrims through treacherous sections. The goal was to make it whatever it took. So, Brissy, you don't HAVE TO walk the Camino. You CHOOSE to walk the Camino. Do it in the manner you think it will ensure your safe passage. All that needs to happen, will. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The Camino pilgrimage was probably never set out to be a fraternization trip to begin with. The goal was to make it to Santiago from your home. You had to prepare well to ensure a safe passage and arrival. Local churches offered baggage transfer services, wealthy families set up shelters and provided free food, wealthy pilgrims stayed in better accomodations and contributed to poor pilgrims passages, Kings and Queens built bridges, hospitals, lodgings, there was even the Knights of Templar "police force" that helped transport pilgrims through treacherous sections. The goal was to make it whatever it took. So, Brissy, you don't HAVE TO walk the Camino. You CHOOSE to walk the Camino. Do it in the manner you think it will ensure your safe passage. All that needs to happen, will. Buen Camino.

Well said, Olivares, and well put.

I stayed in private rooms with private baths whenever they were available. The cost of these rooms varied from 20€ to 65€ and the accommodations varied from "tolerable" to "luxurious". Surprisingly the comfort and cost seemed unrelated. Occasionally an albergue was the only option and I considered it an adventure, rather fun in small doses. My reasoning was and is: I'm more comfortable when I have space to spread out and when I don't have to concern myself with disturbing others.

Albergues are fun and useful, private rooms are better (in my opinion). When I can, I go the extra mile

[QUOTE="Olivares, post: 220169, member: 12248" I am heading out next week for my 6th time on the Camino (Frances)[/QUOTE]
6th time, it's great. Buen Camino.
I plan walking from Ponferrada from Sunday 29th but I could be contrary and may not say Hola.

How do you get the list of hostels and private places to stay, or did you just find one when you arrived at your stopping point

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
I made it up as I went. I found some very nice inexpensive Hostals which is a little different from a hostel. It's a small hotel with few amenities but clean, comfortable rooms. If you make it to Leon there is a great little family operation called Hostal Guzman el Bueno. It's in the area right around the cathedral. They even did my laundry and it was very quiet.

When we walked in 2012 my brother insisted that we do an authentic Camino, ie that we stay in albergues every night, I told him I wanted to stay in a hostal at least one night a week but after about five days walking he had had enough with the large dorms and nightly snoring concerts, so after that we looked for a double room in the private albergues or hostals. Mind you it did not make much difference to my sleep as he could snore for Australia himself but the extra bit of privacy and comfort was great and we still ate with our Camino family each evening.
Now Wayfarer! How is it that your brother could snore for Australia and not Ireland? Do us Aussies get the guernsey for being the loudest snorers? ;)
Cheerzzzzzzzzzzz ....

To anyone who has trouble with sleeping in an alberge....(simple, cheap solution): WEAR EARPLUGS! Works perfect.
None of the various earplugs i try ever matched the industrial- strength snoring that some share with the world. Earplugs muffle sounds, never 100% eliminate them...in my experience.
Plus it hurt the ear "canal" after a while... My solution was to also stay in private rooms. The 28 nights of my recent caminho were spent in hostals, quintas, albergues ( municpal and private) pensao's and hotels.
Spent anything between 8 - 60 euros per night. And sometimes i also shared hotel/ pensao rooms with other pilgrims.

Not to fret.... The main part of the caminho is internal :)
Let not any traces of comparisons, competitions, lists and other perceived " standarts" detract or distract from your caminho.
Enjoy the camino after glow....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anyone recently walk with Mike from Oz? He said he had reservations for nights along the entire Camino but none cost more than 400.00 euros per night.

My friend & I are currently walking Camino del Norte and have stayed in both albergues, pensiones, hospedajes & hotels. Sometimes albergues were full or closed. Other times we found the nearby hospedaje (like a bed & breakfast) was only a few euros more and gave us the luxury of a bathtub for soaking. The break from a room full of people is a nice respite that becomes much, much more appreciated after experiencing a variety of albergues.

Also, we didn't always stop at the "listed" towns, wanting to go a bit further or make a shorter day, so out only choice is a hotel or pension. With the exception of one hotel in Navia, none have been more than a "one star" accomodation. Do not think that experiencing other forms of accommodations makes you less a pilgrim. It is about the journey...

How do you get the list of hostels and private places to stay, or did you just find one when you arrived at your stopping point

I'm sure that there are a number if resources that list private accommodation, but we relied solely on Brierley's guidebook. The accommodation is marked on the map, and it is grouped into 3 price points for each stage of the journey. We planned to finish walking around 3 or 4 pm each day so that we could find our chosen accommodation for the day and book in. Sometimes we just stopped at the first one we saw.
I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

If you PM me your email address I will send you my 40 day itinerary which I researched using a number of sources. It has a choice of 3 places to stay in each stop ( if available) and I have indicated the cost that we paid in May this year if I have a record.

Jenny, we Irish neeeeever snore, we are much too polite, he only started snoring when he moved to Australia. :):)
Must be that he became too used to having to keep the liquid levels up due to the heat! A refreshing beer on a hot day is nectar to us Aussies and you know what happens when you've had one or two too many ........ Znzzzzz choke choke znzzzzz!

You will likely meet as other woman along the way in which you can share accommodations with. I found that most places were about 55€ and split with another was quite reasonable. Keep your eyes open for some alberguies that have rooms with only 2, 4,or 6 ... I liked to mix it up a bit. Besides being social in the alberguies was great fun.
Oh, and have a look at Airbnb ... Local people opening up their home to pilgrims on the way. Kitchen and laundry! Terrific in larger town where you might like to spend a rest day.

Your Camino is yours to create.

€46,-
On my first Camino, it was not the noise which drove me from albergues-- but rather the lack of ventilation. Often the windows were shut in spite of pitiful pleas, and the room became a stuffy oven. I then discovered pensions, casas rurales, and hostales, and the joys of a private bathroom. In five caminos since I have cleaved to private accommodation and been quite happy about it. It is very true that we miss out on much of the delicious camaraderie of the albergue, but I sleep. I still make friends as I walk and at restaurants and cafés, and it's not the same, but with private accommodation I survive better. In many ways it's good for North Americans to be out of their comfort zone but I found it was too much for me. So I free up albergue spaces for students and those with limited means.

Oh, and have a look at Airbnb ... Local people opening up their home to pilgrims on the way.

A word of caution about Airbnb.com: recently this website has been the target of investigation due to increasing complaints. Google it and you can make your own mind.

My guess is that pilgrims who can afford it, stayed in singles, doubles, casa rurals and hotels from time to time. I know i did. If only to get a good night sleep now and them, not even for the privacy or better shower, but the better sleep.

People on a tighter budget try to stay in the (municipal) albergues as much as possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2012, a portion of the Portuguese Camino in August, 2013 and will walk the Le Puy route this August/September. I've always stayed at B&B's/hotels and will do so on the Le Puy route in France. I enjoy the quiet and privacy at the end of the day.
As soon as I saw the movie The Way, I knew this way of life was for me. I felt called. My pilgrimage started two summers ago and has not stopped. I eat, sleep, walk, talk Camino. For now, at this time in my life, this is what I do - I walk.
Next fall my gaol is to walk from Le Puy and end in Santiago. That's a wonderful goal, a wonderful possibility. One day at a time, one step at a time!!!

It sounds like a good option.. might try it next time…. can't wait!
. bother, I haven't done this properly. Planning to walk Sept/Oct

Very interested to read that there are double rooms in some of the Albergues. Wondering about how that works though, do you end up very modestly, bundled next to each other in your sleeping liners or bags on the same bed or something else ........

Most doubles in Spain are twin beds (ie 2 singles) but some private albergues do have a double (cama matrimonio). We use these at is takes the pressure off the twin bedded rooms and also makes it easier sometimes to get a room as we are a married couple. Our Camino luxury :)

Thank you Tia, but do you have a double liner? And are the double beds a decent width? I will be walking with my husband and wondered if the double beds might be too narrow for both of us to be comfortable when we're very tired. If you choose to use them, I guess they're ok

A 'cama de matrimonio' is usually full size. Our bags do zip together to make a double, but either with the zip down the middle or the hood section at the side :eek::oops: and narrower than the bed itself. Mostly we had blankets any way and sheets, otherwise I think we would have used the bags more like a blanket. It works easier with a square bag (like our old ones) than the mummy/hooded type.
One hostal only had a 3/4 bed and apologised that it was small. As it was the only 'double' room free and we are fairly thin we were happy to have it. Most places expect to give a twin bedded room so you actually have to ask if they have a 'cama de matrimonio', or a 'double room with one bed'. On a couple of occasions we had 2 singles pushed together - be prepared :)
Buen Camino

Last edited:
If you PM me your email address I will send you my 40 day itinerary which I researched using a number of sources. It has a choice of 3 places to stay in each stop ( if available) and I have indicated the cost that we paid in May this year if I have a record.
Greetings from Atlanta! Wife and I would love to see your list of lodging options. Planning for October walk. Many thanks. krr02@mindspring.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I am hoping to stay in private places as well tho I am walking the last part of the northern route -did you walk that way? If so any recommendations dating from Gijon on

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am hoping to stay in private places as well tho I am walking the last part of the northern route -did you walk that way? If so any recommendations dating from Gijon on
Cindy, you will probably get more answers if you post this on a thread in the section for the Norte itself. We have used some private accomodation on the Norte but only as far as Ribadasella.
There are several places in Ribadeo - Cafe-Bar Garden has rooms and this year we are looking at the Hostal Linares because it is pre-bookable.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back