• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone fellow pilgrim has been to mediugorie?

Stefystar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi fellow pilgrims,
As I put on hold my next Camino to 2020,
I need your help in planning my visit to mediugorie early sept.
I am trying to avoid organised groups, not my style...
I wonder if anyone has been and could give me info with regard.
I am considering to fly to Split , is it the best journey to get to mediugorie though,?🤔
My companion is not a walker and actually has some difficulty in maintaining a steady pace... Having to stop frequently...
Basically it will be a pilgrimage for my soul this time
Any info or comments welcome

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
we did but we did not walk from Split we took a bus to Medjugorje...

I have been Medjugorje and am not sure whether or not you can safely walk to the sanctuary there from any other city. Do not remember seeing any walking pilgrims. Probably unsafe to walk along the road.
I stayed in Mostar and took a bus to Medjugorje.
Remember that Split is in Croatia, and Medjugorje in Bosnia Herzegovina.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been in Medjugorje too but with a car not as a walking pilgrim. And I haven't heard there is any kind of marked trail from Split (or Mostar although there might be). Anyway even if you would try to find your way using topo maps I would not advise it because there still might be some zones that haven't been cleared of the land mines especially in Bosnia and Herzegovina (that's one state but where Mostar and Medjugorje are is Herzegovina part). Or if you hire an experienced mountain guide in Split. Even walking on the shoulder of main roads would be more safe!

Our forum member @Botaivica lives in Split and knows the area very well so he would be the best source of information about your plan to visit Medjugorje.

Anyway, stay safe!

When we went there last year, we stayed in Mostar but the taxi driver who took us from Medjugorje to Mostar wont take us to our airb&b whose area is not safe for him according to him. Although, there is no more war, we can really feel that there is still a little bit of underlying animosity between ethnic and religious divide so some parts are still not cleared. He dropped us in front of a church in Mostar. So be careful out there. Also, since you are crossing between 2 countries, the border crossing might take awhile. Thats how our experience went by. God Bless.

When we went there last year, we stayed in Mostar but the taxi driver who took us from Medjugorje to Mostar wont take us to our airb&b whose area is not safe for him according to him. Although, there is no more war, we can really feel that there is still a little bit of underlying animosity between ethnic and religious divide so some parts are still not cleared. He dropped us in front of a church in Mostar. So be careful out there. Also, since you are crossing between 2 countries, the border crossing might take awhile. Thats how our experience went by. God Bless.
Hi thank you for your he very helpful info.
Yes , I do understand it is not like in Spain.. walking on my own is not in the chart.. especially with a non walker friend..😊
Had not realized the divide is still there...
I am going to fulfill a promise I made..so I will stay with the public transport for once...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back