• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone got any advice about places to stay on the Spiritual

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi all!
I have added extra days on the coastal route;which has meant changing my stopovers! That bits been fine but
I want to try the spiritual way!( i think the boat is calling)
I am now booked up to Pontevedra.
I am having real trouble finding somewhere to stay on the spiritual.(think i am ok for Vilanova de Arousa)
I have avoided booking albergues/hostals ;not because i am anti social, but after having cancer and a kidney removed;i need the loo three or four times a night! (not the best thing in a bunk house;wouldn't come out alive ha!ha!)
I also know i need my own space because of my sight loss.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I have spent today searching and yeah i can find some places but they are a few kilometres of the camino route and places i would choose near the camino are all full for the dates i need already
So your input is very welcome!
All the best.
Woody66

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Cistersian Monastery of Armenteira, on the top of the big hill, which is the usual end of the stage from Pontevedra has a "hospederia", which is like a hotel part of the monastery and they have individual rooms for 45 euro with breakfast, the only question is, whether they are open at this strange time.

Also: between 13:30 and 16:30 you can't check-in. And payment must be made in cash.

This is their webpage: https://www.monasteriodearmenteira.es/peregrinos/

Most pilgrims stay in Armenteira in the public albergue (so did I) and from the recent comments it seems like it may be open. But it is quite basic.

The Monastery in Armenteira is magical. So is the next stage, following the Path of Rocks and Water (Ruta de la piedra y el agua)

1602533677009.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi arthur1218!
Thanks for your reply; i had looked at the Hospederia but i thought you had to stay a minimum of two nights was a bit confused cos i saw the 45 euros with breakfast as well. ( also wasn't sure about the bit that if your a pilgim and them letting you stay instead of the municipal albergue )But i did kinda like the idea of a new experience. I don't suppose you know if your allowed to leave to explore during your stay? I suppose so its not a prison.
I think i will message them and ask a few questions.
Ihope someone put a message here who has experianced a stay there.
Woody

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, in another famous monastery, on the Camino del Norte, called Sobrado dos Monxes, during the afternoon break, the gate is closed, so if you check in early, you must decide whether you prefer to be during the siesta on the grounds of the Monastery or outside. But other than that, certainly you are free to leave to explore.

I also stayed in a hospederia in the Monastery of Zenarruza in Basque Country. As far as I remember they charged me less than the regular guests, I think I paid 25 euro. Maybe in Armenteira you also get a pilgrims discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
The monastery and albergue at Armenteira are both open (or were when I was there less than two weeks ago). We stayed at the albergue but other pilgrims we met stayed at the monastery and didn't have to stay for two nights. I regret not staying there because they loved it.

HI . Arthur1218
Well i have taken the plunge and asked them if they would let me have a room for one night next October; explained I was sight and hearing impaired and that the Albergue didn’t give me the facilities I need.

I just better be on track on the camino; got to be there before 1.30 cos like you said no one will let me in again till 4.30 I just hope it gets light early enough for me to make it on time as can see nothing in poor light or the dark. (push comes to shove taxi).

Thanks for the info all the best

Woody

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depending on how far you want to walk each day, you could also stay at the Hospederia de Poio. Comfortable, not luxurious - about 10 kms. beyond Pontevedra. Or you could walk on to Combarro, another 3 kms. where there are several hotels.

Hi Lynn!
I checked out Combarro and either no vacancies for the date i needed or they didn't take booking, i presume as yet in October 21! But i have 2 nights in Pontevedra booked;so if next year/or later on this year they open up their dates further ahead i will cancel one night in Pontevedra and book somewhere in Combarro. From there i defo need to stay at the Hospederia in Armenteira don't think there are any other options i can see.
All the best Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Although my trip was cancelled with Covid I was able to book for one night at the monastery. Also for Combarro, The Hotel Xieto was listed on booking.com but not until 8 months before. The Stella Maris hotel in Combarro was another option, they have their own website.

Although my trip was cancelled with Covid I was able to book for one night at the monastery. Also for Combarro, The Hotel Xieto was listed on booking.com but not until 8 months before. The Stella Maris hotel in Combarro was another option, they have their own website.
I am sorry for the joke but "Xieto non ten xeito ". So the name is hotel Xeito.
"Xieto non ten xeito" means : Xieto is not correct.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
During our 2019 trip on the Spiritual Variant, we stayed at the Hotel Xeito in Combarro, the Armenteira Monastery (highlight of the trip!), the Os Castaños inn and the Albergue A Salazon in Vilanova de Arousa. All were fine but I have no clue as to the situation this year. For the monastery, if you speak a little Spanish, you might want to call them directly and reserve a room. That's what we did. And we were able to reserve for one night, by the way. My understanding is that the multi-night rule only applies during the peak summer months, when they have a lot of Christian groups staying there.

I tried doing the Variante Espiritual on an "off stage" basis, staying at the Stella Maris the first night, and thinking I could walk past the monastery and stay at Ribadumia. Pondevedra tourist office and Google both told me there were places to stay there. Wrong. As of 2016, when I did it, there was nowhere to stay there. Things could have changed, of course, but it was pretty much the standard stages- Armenteira, Vilanova, then PadrĂłn or O Faramello.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Spiritual on August this year.
Those ore the hotels I stayed at:
COMBARRO: Hotel Xeito. Nice and conveniently placed right by the side of the Camino exit to Armenteira.
VILANOVA DE AROUSA : Hotel Bradomin. A good one just in the middle of the town, not far from the port in case you want to take the boat to make the TRANSLATIO to Pontecesures.
PADRON: Hotel Chef Rivera. In the center of the town and with an excellent restaurant. A liitlle old , though. Another option is Hotel Rosalia, but it is located almost in the far end of town, right by the train station, a little apart from everithing.
SANTIAGO : This time i stayed at the Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos because my favoutite hotel, Hotel Rua Vilar was COVID closed. I always try to go to Rua Vilar. Familiar and perfectly located 100 meters far from the Cathedral.

Two years ago I made it another time but this time i stayed in Cambados, instead of in Vilanova de Aruosa. I gave a treat to myself and stayed at the magnificent Parador de Cambados.

I want to try the spiritual way!( i think the boat is calling)
You don't say when you are planning to walk! I did the spiritual variant in July this year and the boat was not an option. there has to be a minimum number of people, I can't remember whether that was 10 or 20, but this year that number may be difficult to find. Hopefully next year the situation will improve!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi sulu!
I have booked flight mid September;so the boat if i keep on track somewhere between 2nd to the 6th October.
Woody.

You don't say when you are planning to walk! I did the spiritual variant in July this year and the boat was not an option. there has to be a minimum number of people, I can't remember whether that was 10 or 20, but this year that number may be difficult to find. Hopefully next year the situation will improve!

The minimum was 5 when we took the boat at the start of this month.

I have booked flight mid September;so the boat if i keep on track somewhere between 2nd to the 6th October.
Woody.
Please God, by September next year everything will be back to normal :)
The minimum was 5 when we took the boat at the start of this month.
In that case they have reduced the number to reflect the lack of pilgrims, that's nice of them because it was a very long walk and badly signed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back