• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone "Gut Train" with Kimchi/Sauerkraut pre-Camino?

Chomps

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Does anyone have experience with pre-Camino gut training?

I have heard that eating lots of Kimchi and fresh sauerkraut (not canned) about a month before adventuring will do wonders for your gut health and help with warding off food poisoning.

Also anyone do apple cider vinegar? Not sure if this is for real or not.

Any insight helpful.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In several thousands of km of walking Caminos and other long-distance routes I've only had one day of vomiting which may have been because of food poisoning but which might equally have been caused by heat stress. I think if your normal diet is reasonably healthy and varied then it is probably unnecessary to "train" your gut specifically for walking a Camino. If you think your regular diet is deficient in some way then of course changing it is a sound move whether you plan to walk or not.

I have heard that eating lots of Kimchi and fresh sauerkraut (not canned) about a month before adventuring will do wonders for your gut health and help with warding off food poisoning.

Any insight helpful.

I have never in my life gut trained and I doubt gut training helps against serious viruses and bacteria. Normally, you do not get sick from just traveling, but it needs serious germs and/or food your body is absolutely not used to.
But Spain is no third world country. Usually basic hygiene standards are respected and the food is not overly spicy/hot. Hence I would just relax.
I got stomach problems one day in Egypt from drinking the wrong kind of water, one time on a mule expedition in the Guatemalan jungle. The only time I really got sick was from bad mozzarella in France. But that could have happened at home as well.
A camino is no expedition into uncharted waters and food standards are pretty high.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I once got food poisoning on the Francés. I knew it would be a bad Idea to eat those almost raw eggs that were served to me on a hot day just before Santiago, but I had already payed for them and was too hungry 🤣. Salmonella is not fun when walking, but I still managed 40km to Santiago and 35km days to Finisterre.

I'm German, so lots of Sauerkraut at home, it didn't help at all. Maybe all the Sauerkraut-less days in France and Spain for weeks were the reason, but I doubt it.

Best way to avoid food poisoning: prepare your own food, and hygiene (hand washing, washing/drying your water bottles frequently, ect...).

Kimchi and Sauerkraut taste good, though, and are quite healthy, so it's still a good idea to eat it pre-Camino I'd say!

I've never heard of "gut training" but I often get what I call "travel stomach" when rapidly changing time zones. My digestive system does what I call a "reset." I'm sure that you can imagine what that entails. But when I visited my son in South Korea one year and ate kimchi every day I had no problems. I think that it's to do with the probiotics.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Any insight helpful.
I've never heard of "gut training" but I make my own sauerkraut and it is amazing!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Any insight helpful.
Kimchi and Sauerkraut both have wonderful benefits for creating a healthy gut. I’d recommend them for any diet. Apple cider vinegar ( must include the mother) is also very effective in creating a healthy gut. I know someone who had stomach issues for years and takes that in small doses and he swears by it. I don’t think adding these to your diet are a quick fix but rather a good addition to slowly incorporate long term. I’m not an expert. Lots of info online.

Traveler’s diarrhea is a real common thing for many and happens just by the change of foods, waters and sleep disruption. I suppose using probiotics (such as these suggestions) may be a way to ward off the shock to a digestive system that traveling can cause.

But I can’t believe it can counter true food poisoning! Best to steer clear of undercooked meats and animal products!

Kimchi will be beneficial because garlic is a natural antibiotic. Further, if you consume a large amount of kimchi before your Camino, you will have distinctively pungent and long-lasting (at least two weeks) garlic breath: everyone will keep their distance from you, and you will be safe from germ-carrying people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kimchi and Sauerkraut both have wonderful benefits for creating a healthy gut. I’d recommend them for any diet. Apple cider vinegar ( must include the mother) is also very effective in creating a healthy gut. I know someone who had stomach issues for years and takes that in small doses and he swears by it. I don’t think adding these to your diet are a quick fix but rather a good addition to slowly incorporate long term. I’m not an expert. Lots of info online.
I have read that this is true in many places. I used to work in pharmaceuticals and visited an office with 3 Korean doctors. They all ate Kimchi just about every day with their lunch. They sang its health benefits to me. I am not crazy about it but I could not find it as I lived in a small town. I do love Sauerkraut and have read in many places about the benefits of eating it. In fact I have read in some stories written by nutritionists that they consider it a super food.

I use Blis, both the throat probiotic and occasionally the tooth probiotic.

The theory is that the mouth and throat are the entry point to the stomach and so if you have healthy fauna there then most of the bad bugs don't get past them.

Blis is a product company spun off from research at the University of Otago Dental School.

I especially use Blis after long airplane rides to counter the sniffles and sore throat that I otherwise often get.

If you are into Rugby, then the All Blacks use Blis when they are on tour to stay healthy so that they can maintain their peak fitness.

I brought some Blis with me for my current Camino Madrid.

Last edited:
And there I was thinking that walking and eating were things that we do every day, no special training required. What next, lessons in using toilets? Oh, wait, we already have threads about that. Spain is not a third world country. You can drink the water and eat the food.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Any insight helpful.
I sound like the bed bug deniers 😅 but on 3 different caminos, 2 in Spain and one in Portugal, I've never had an issue with either stomach flu or the food.

As a clinical microbiologist, I know of no scientifically proven evidence that sauerkraut or kimchi can prevent illness caused by bacterial contamination in food. Best to use discretion in food choices. Changes in food and water and schedule can all cause stomach issues and viruses transmitted by other pilgrims are also a possibility. If you know you have a sensitive stomach, you likely know the causes already as well as the preferred treatment.

I also grew up making homemade sauerkraut according to my German grandmother's recipe.
Shredded cabbage layered with salt into a huge crock. Pressed down until liquid covers it all and store in the root cellar for 3 weeks. Take it out, heat it to kill any critters and pack into sterilized jars. Yum! 😁

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are looking for more ways to improve your gut bacteria, try kefir too. You can also consume kombucha, miso & tempeh. Before a bout of antibiotics, my dr encouraged me to eat a variety of probiotics and not rely on just one or two.

If you are looking for more ways to improve your gut bacteria, try kefir too. You can also consume kombucha, miso & tempeh. Before a bout of antibiotics, my dr encouraged me to eat a variety of probiotics and not rely on just one or two.
Mrs HtD insisted recently that we start the day with a glass of goat’s-milk kefir, and a gallon of the stuff was duly delivered. We each claimed to be drinking our allotted glass daily, but even with my dodgy maths I could see that the level in the bottles wasn’t decreasing at the rate it should.

Longest month of my life; I was actually starting to dread waking up as I knew how the day would start.

Finally, neither of us mentioned kefir and the programme came to an embarrassing end. I can still taste it now.

Easiest way to avoid food poisoning is to avoid foods that cause food poisoning, generally certain soft cheeses, certain fish dishes and under cooked food. Easiest way to avoid flus and colds is to eat good food, drink enough water (and wine) and exercise. So basically do what you would do on any other trekking holiday. ;)

I've never had any gut issues when walking, nor flus or colds. I always put it down to eating a good diet while walking and consuming good alcohol, plus the 4-5 litres of water per day. :) I eat simply and lightly. Cheese, pasta, crackers, green veg, occasionally chorizo. No sugar and sweets. Lots of water. A multivitamin every day. Never had any issues on the previous two Caminos.

I've never had food poisoning on the Camino, but do find the change in diet and the sugary breakfast can be challenging. What works for me is taking OptiBack tablets, which help my tum and staves off acid reflux

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Easiest way to avoid flus and colds is to eat good food, drink enough water (and wine) and exercise.
I find that avoiding people who are sick with cold or flu to be the best way to avoid those viruses.

I don't think that any probiotic regimen, be it fermented cabbage, fermented milk, or probiotic capsules will help against food poisoning, but it does help me with "travel stomach."

Can you expand on this? i.e. who, where, and on what authority or research or factual basis is going around telling everyone that eating fermented cabbage is going to prevent food poisoning or any other stomach ailment?
Fermented foods contain live bacteria, which when consumed can increase healthy bacteria in gut, improving your body's response to unfriendly bacteria and other such delights

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I find that avoiding people who are sick with cold or flu to be the best way to avoid those viruses.

I don't think that any probiotic regimen, be it fermented cabbage, fermented milk, or probiotic capsules will help against food poisoning, but it does help me with "travel stomach."

Given the fact that most of those viruses are airborne, you can never fully avoid them. Staying in an albergue is the ultimate mixing of germs. :p

On my previous two caminos i was never ill, outside of long term related illnesses. Nor were the vast majority of people I came across while walking. Off season that might not be the case, but in the warmer months with lots of hot sunny days, their is some evidence towards certain viruses not surviving very well in those conditions, Covid being one of them.

Apple cider vinegar ( must include the mother) is also very effective in creating a healthy gut.
Please stop posting eventually harmful advices. Increasing acidity in the stomach will help, if it is reduced, but will harm in the opposite situation. Contact your gastroenterologist if there are symptoms for gastrointestinal malfunction.

Indeed, gut microbiota may have much greater impact on our wellbeing than thought earlier. Basically the food, rich in fiber is what the healthy microbiota needs, may include sauerkraut as well. Obviously moderation in everything what we put in our mouth is needed.

Buen provecho!

Absolutely agree. I should have been more thorough in my comment. Thank you for your addition.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

There seems to be some scientific evidence to support Apple Cider vinegar as an aid to cure stomach bugs and to help with various other things.

See this Guardian article

That refers to this research

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In summary.
Some of us have sensitive digestive systems that can be more easily upset by travel.
Some of us have ‘cast iron’ systems (me) that can pretty much deal with anything.
Actual food poisoning can get both categories of people- medical help may be needed.
All pre biotic and prebiotic food can be helpful but again not for everyone. For some it makes their digestive system worse, depending on what’s already happening down there.
For me the whole concept of any sort of ‘training for Camino’ is a bit flawed - like dieting, the benefits are lost as soon as one reverts to old habits / practices.
Better to ‘train for life’. Then you are ready for anything any time.
Buen Camino and happy souerkraut. 😀❤️😀

Well in Olde England they used to drink beer instead of water because the water was so often contaminated. I wonder what their microbiome count was.

To be fair that beer was not exactly at the same strength as the stuff we get nowadays, it was (as I read) more around the percentage of a shandy, or some of that cheap beer they sell at Tesco. I guess probably much like the Blue Erdinger.

My parents said in Ethiopia they have a drink called Raki. Fiercely alcoholic and apparently somewhat poisonous. They apparently have a shot glass of it to get rid of stomach issues and parasites. I have no idea if it's related to Turkish Raki. I suspect the Spanish hierbas drink is very similar. A glass of that probably kills off anything bad in your stomach. At least the last time i tried it I felt like i was dying after I had a glass.

Foot training is the most helpful thing that you can do to help your body on the Camino.

Is worrying about your stomach an excuse to avoid doing a 5-10 mile training walk in full pack?

-Paul

Any insight helpful.
As a celiac, I can tell you this is not a silly question. Out of 112 countries traveled, I have been sick in many of them. 20-30 years ago, I used to take Cipro every time I had travelers’ diarrhoea. It ruins your gut, don’t do it. I caught parasites from the inside of a fruit in Eciador & fish in Mexico that took years & several drugs to get rid of. I ate everything, & suffered the consequences, part of which now is that I can’t eat gluten. Gluten is in WAY more things than people think, including many sauces & marinades (thickener), dressings (soy sauce), alcohol (vodka), as well as cereals & most bread (wheat, rye, & barley). It is also added to things like sausages, meatballs, etc. So people criticize my luggage transfer? Well, half my bag is food I have to bring because there are many instances & places where there’s nothing I can eat. Some gluten-free food is contaminated so I still can’t eat it (ie g-f crust pizza cooked on same oven rack, gf toast made in same toaster, potatoes fried in same oil as wheat flour-battered fish), because I cannot have 10 µg or one crumb of gluten, or I will get very sick.
I take Align, very good probiotic, every morning about half an hour before food. Mostly, I am just careful what I eat and ask twice, or even three times before eating if food contains gluten. It’s not a joke, but I don’t let it stop me. I do eat sauerkraut, but I don’t eat most Asian food, such as kimchi, unless I confirm it’s made with Tamari instead of soy sauce. Some people recommend prepared charcoal pills, but my doctor did not recommend that. And by the way, you can definitely get sick in a western country! I had food poisoning in Austria.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A quick comment on some of the points raised in this thread.

Re. gluten - I had my first experience of a gluten-free Camino last month. It wasn't difficult to find foods that were either naturally gluten free, or manufactured in that way. Even in the smaller towns, Spanish supermarkets have a good range of gluten-free products. I ate much more mindfully and healthily than on previous Caminos!

Re. gut health - following illness, I've learned that a happy gut helps build a happy body and brain. It's worth giving this some attention. Again, Spanish supermarkets have lots of helpful stuff - fresh & canned fruit and veg, probiotic yoghurt, kefir products and probably also kimchi etc. in larger towns.

Re. food poisoning/tummy bugs: this may or may not happen to you. In my 10 years of Camino walking, I had one nasty episode that stopped me in my tracks for a few days. We can speculate about the cause or source of these little events, but it's probably pointless. 'Wash your hands and wash your fruit' is perhaps the most useful piece of pre-Camino advice. And if you get sick - Spanish pharmacies and primary care centres are excellent 😊

Last edited:
Sauerkraut is ridiculously easy to make. Sauerkraut recipe
I have one of those Tupperware hand food processors and chop everything in that which is super-easy, throw some non-iodised sea salt with every other handful of veggies when I mix it all up in a big bowl. I have a big former coffee jar which I wash in the dishwasher and then pack the sauerkraut into that so all the liquid covers the veggies. Put the lid on, pop it in the pantry for a few days and when it is ready, it lives in the fridge.

Vinegar and fibre definitely encourage the good organisms of the gut biome.
I have found that soft cheese is usually what gives me food poisoning when I do get it. Just as well Manchego is a hard cheese!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.