• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone have a favourite British Pilgrimage?

@VNwalking , kia ora and how is you thinking on this topic?
Honestly?
Feeling overwhelmed at the thought of the logistics. Which is very funny, since English is my native language, and I've been to Britain twice.

The thought of getting to the middle of nowhere in Spain is ho-hum...easy...whereas the middle of nowhere in England? It's not such an easeful thought. Which makes me just want to go to a monastery and stay in one place...

I was about to post a new thread, but am also super-busy right now. So it's all on the back burner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This year the pesky Schengen visa requirements and my unalterable commitments conspire together to prevent me from walking in Spain. So I have been looking to Britain for solace, and escape from the Schengen Zone for a few weeks.
And I found this:
And oh what a rabbit hole it is! I know this wonderful website will absolutely be no news to many, but I have had my head in the Spanish sand - so have not been paying any attention to pilgrimages in Britain.

So anyone with feet on the ground and some walking experince...
Please can you give me a recommendation for your favourite week/10 day/2 week amble? It doesn't have to be one of the ones the BPT lists...anything is fair game at the moment.
Thanks!
I have heard good things about St. Cuthbert’s Way in Northumbria which goes to the lovely Lindisfarne. Also, there is a rather short one in Cornwall which I have heard is a nice route.

I have heard good things about St. Cuthbert’s Way in Northumbria which goes to the lovely Lindisfarne. Also, there is a rather short one in Cornwall which I have heard is a nice route.
I don’t think there is a maintained pilgrimage route, but St. David’s in Pembrokeshire is a pilgrim destination. There is a retreat centre nearby, St. Non’s. The cathedral is lovely. And the Pebrokeshire Coastal path is beautiful and goes on for miles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nope...nothing surfaced ⛏ 👷‍♀️ here 🇦🇺 yet...but I'll be sure to keep a lookout! 😄
👣 🌏

@Tincatinker , my geography would have your antipodes (assuming a central location in West Sussex, such as Billinghurst) about halfway between (and slightly south) of a line drawn between Auckland Island and Chatham Island.

The inhabitants there are mainly whales of various varieties.

The good news is this: if you were to be lost at sea in that locality, the local emergency responders have an excellent track record. Similar to the record by the compatriots of @kazrobbo - between them they respond to a vast Space that covers, with a few exceptions, much of the area between the equator to the north, Antarctica to the south, middle of the Indian Ocean to the west and middle of the Pacific Ocean to the east.

But your main point, about sparseness of backpacker accommodation away from major cities (such as London), is well founded based on my experience over four seasons of UK based trips.

Again, from my experience, most UK accommodation at our end of the spectrum, want bookings made weeks, and preferably months, ahead (shades of the annual holiday at Margate-on-Sea from previous generations?). And is often off the beaten walkway by a considerable distance.

Nor is breakfast at a time, or of a format, that suits walkers wanting to get away at about sunrise to make best use of the day ahead.

So power to any elbow that seeks to change that.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

In Scotland, there is the John Muir Way, a 215km trail that is signed in both directions between Helensburgh, where John Muir and his family sailed to the U.S., and Dunbar, his birthplace. It is a beautiful trail with a variety of accomodations along the way. You can download and print the guide and maps on the website.

Last edited:
Worth looking at AirBnB for cheaper places when walking in the UK - or lug a tent!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Borders Abbeys Way then St Cuthbert's Way. The Borders Abbeys Way is a loop. You can start and finish at Melrose, which is then the starting point for St Cuthbert's Way. In total it's just over 200kms. I wish I could say I've done it, but I've planned almost as much for it, as I have for the Camino. One day....!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kia ora koutou (greetings to you all)

I booked to return to France in April to complete Via Francigena.

Two weeks ago I decided to use the bookings to walk the length and breadth of the UK and then to Ontario and explore the Rideau Trail.

Today I have decided to not travel this year and explore with the airlines holding my payments as a deposit against travel on the same routes next year.

But, thanks to this thread by @VNwalking, and from other enquiries, I have about 20 pilgrimages in Scotland, Wales and England to explore in the years ahead.

I will post them as a list later this year for next seasons thinking.

Kia kaha koutou (take care, be strong, get going)

Another "Not a pilgrimage" route, but one we entitled "Our Yorkshire Camino" when we walked it in May 2018 having previously walked the Frances (twice) and the Portuguese from Lisbon in previous years.

This route is a combination of 'The Wolds Way' followed by a short section of the 'Cleveland Way', to just north of Scarborough. From there along the 'Tabular Hills Walk' to Helmsley, where followed the 'Cleveland Way' again from the other end, taking us around the North Yorkshire Moors, eventually ending back in Scarborough.

In total about 240 miles of very varied terrain. The rolling, pastoral, Wolds were followed by the forests of the Tabular Hills. Then the initial moorland stretch of the Cleveland Way' finishing with a glorious clifftop stretch along the rugged Yorkshire coast

This took us three weeks of generally easy walking, although some stretches were reasonably testing without being rugged. Accommodation was generally reasonably priced, but definitely NOT Camino de Santiago prices. It was reasonably easy to find, but ingenuity was needed in places.

I created a blog of the journey and have all the details of the route, including where we stayed, if anyone is interested.

We would both happily walk this delightful route again, and probably will.
Do you have a link to the "Yorkshire Camino" blog. As our plans for April Camino Frances have sadly been put on hold we are looking for an alternative in the UK. Sorry if its already there and I can't see it.

we are looking for an alternative in the UK
At this point should we be thinking of walking anywhere at all?
Even if there are no emergency declarations in a given country, for the next little while we have to deal with a 'new normal' everywhere - one that does not encourage going here and there, but staying close to home and minimizing our interactions instead.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
At this point should we be thinking of walking anywhere at all?
Even if there are no emergency declarations in a given country, for the next little while we have to deal with a 'new normal' everywhere - one that does not encourage going here and there, but staying close to home and minimizing our interactions instead.
Unlike many of you on this forum, this was a one off chance to walk the whole Camino Frances in one go. We will never have this opportunity again. I see no problem with investigating and planning a walk nearer home. Of course I am not leaving today! I am front line NHS staff and as someone with PPE in my boot for community work I don't need to be lectured on the risks. If planning and dreaming and asking for information is not allowed on here so be it.

If planning and dreaming and asking for information is not allowed on here so be it.
Who said that? Not at all. Indeed - planning and dreaming may well keep us all sane through this. But when it comes to walking as opposed to just dreaming, we need to be reaistic - and not so attached to our personal plans that we endanger others.

Have you looked on British pilgrimage.com? That may be helpful
It is so difficult to know what to do, as we are unfit to travel abroad we had planned a British pilgrimage, now it looks as we may just be in the back garden. Lorna we do appreciate all hard working nhs staff I thank you in advance.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I have really enjoyed taking a closer look at this thread for dreaming of future long distance hikes in the UK, but with so many interesting possibilities suggested, it "makes my head spin"! 🙃

Two weeks ago I decided to use the bookings to walk the length and breadth of the UK and then to Ontario and explore the Rideau Trail.

Today I have decided to not travel this year and explore with the airlines holding my payments as a deposit against travel on the same routes next year.

But, thanks to this thread by @VNwalking, and from other enquiries, I have about 20 pilgrimages in Scotland, Wales and England to explore in the years ahead.

Kia ora, AlwynWellington,
There is a UK magazine 'Country Walking' which is all about the available walks in the UK. They have guides to about 25 walks every month of both short & longer paths & some great featured walks also. Just in case you need help with your planning. The British Pilgrimage site can be interesting, & have a look at WillWalking on fb.
Enjoy your planning!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Only just found this thread, so firstly, apologies for missing the boat, by only about 6 months...
I just had a pick 'n' mix idea I thought I'd share, of which I've walked about three quarters:
How about - The Solway Firth/Carlisle to Lindisfarne/Holy Island via Hadrians Wall, then Pennine Way and St Cuthbert's Way to Holy island?
A few years back I walked the Pennine Way, joined Hadrian's Wall at Greenhead, left it about 10 miles later at Twice Brewed, headed north for about 4 days of wild upland moors, forests and the Cheviot hills. The last upland stretch from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm is long, but there is a basic mountain hut at Auchope where the wooden benches are sufficently wide to fit a mat and bag.
There should still be lots of good hostel accommodation along the route including places like the lovely Friends of Nature hostel in Kirk Yetholm. Highlights include the amazing Hadrian's Wall with the uncovered town of Vindolanda, the mysterious St Cuthbert's cave, the pilgrim's walk across the sand/mud to Holy Island and all that lies there, and, if the heather is in bloom on the Cheviots, a sight you will never forget...

Do you have a link to the "Yorkshire Camino" blog. As our plans for April Camino Frances have sadly been put on hold we are looking for an alternative in the UK. Sorry if its already there and I can't see it.
Hi. .....and sorry for the delay in responding to your request, due to a short period of (Non Covid-19 related) illness.

The blog is available at this link "Yorkshire Camino 2019". This will take you to a version that is in correct, ascending, date order of posts. Normally Wordpress publishes its postings with the latest one at the top and the earliest at the bottom, which is fine when reading a daily blog as it's happening, but a pain when trying to read it as a narrative from beginning to end. Hopefully you may find it of some interest.

If you are still interested in trying this route I can supply a full list of all the places we stayed at. Some took a fair amount of ingenuity to find, and fit into the schedule, but we managed to book all our stops before we began walking. We also managed to restrict our daily walking to about 20 Km (12Mls) per day. the longest being 23 Kms (14Mls). If you want the list of places, and any other info that we have, just let me know.

We can fully recommend the route, it, (like the area) is very varied, and slightly testing whilst being a delightful journey.

Hi Alwyn
This walk might keep you busy for a while!!image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Someone may have suggested this - the Cornish Celtic Way ...?! (I am having computer problems so cannot tell!)
BUT - it has a passport giving access to cheap/discounted accommodation including 'champing' (church floor cheapies!) So a good walk, cheap night sleep if needed, and a good small but important income stream for churches along the Way!
I wish more would do it - it would help keep them open so that we get to visit their aesthetic beauty as well as spiritual / energetic placements...! I have had to add it to my list .......grumble:rolleyes:

This walk might keep you busy for a while!!

Annette, kia ora (trust you are well).

I've studied quite a few Cicerone guides and have decided, as a general rule, not to refer to any more. The reason being they all seem to be step-by-step in style: "... proceed 100 metres, turn right, proceed 123 metres, take second left ... ". For me this means my nose is in the guide (on my tablet, so battery issues) and so not taking an eclectic enjoyment of what I am passing through. And signage is usually observed by its absence, again making navigation in the UK an interesting task.

As a consequence I have adopted the tactic of walking on roads, as signage for motorists is relatively easy to follow. And as the most roads in the UK do not have shoulders I just need to stay away from the popular routes

But I do appreciate the thought. My mother's father was born in Devon with connections to a village west of Crediton and my father (born in Edinburgh) has connections with Caithness.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going - when you can)

I've re-read the thread and have narrowed it down to two, for whenever the need and opportunity arise:
1. St Cuthbert's (This wins hands down unless the time I have to walk is winter.)
2. Winchester - Canterbury.

Maybe I'll never take these up, who knows? But like books waiting to be read, you can never have too many possible long walks - so long as there's no 'have to' about it. Which is absolutely true un my case.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We dont have the same pilgrim infrastructure here in UK but our parhs are beautiful.

Thus says one who has walked 2,500km plus during 2021 and all within the county where I live.

I've re-read the thread and have narrowed it down to two, for whenever the need and opportunity arise:
1. St Cuthbert's (This wins hands down unless the time I have to walk is winter.)
2. Winchester - Canterbury.

Maybe I'll never take these up, who knows? But like books waiting to be read, you can never have too many possible long walks - so long as there's no 'have to' about it. Which is absolutely true un my case.
My husband walked the St Cuthbert’s this July, he thought it was stunning. Fortunately, they had good weather all the way. He recommends doing it over 5 days, not four as there are some hard stretches (and loads of cattle, which counts me out! 😳😁)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
loads of cattle
That clinches it. I am fond of cows, with their damp inquisitive noses. (Bulls are another story. In a 'past life' as a ornithologist, a colleague was caught out in a paddock by a bull, and ended up being chased cartoon-style around the trunk of a massive tree, until he managed to find a foothold to climb up. I can't remember how he escaped, but he felt himself lucky, as we were working in the same area that 150 years previously Scottish botanist David Douglas (of Douglas Fir fame) had been killed in a pit trap for wild cattle.)

I was hoping 'someone' marooned at home in Covidtime would chime in with a more up-to-date perspective. Thanks Fleur!

Given where you've walked this last year, have you a favorite place?
The Surrey Hills area has a huge variety of tracks and paths to explore. Open views as well as wonderful wooded areas. Leith Hill, Box Hill, Reigate Hill.
Bonus is, one is normally not too far from a café or pub for refreshments. There are some fabulous chocolate box villages and lots of local history.

Last edited:
That clinches it. I am fond of cows, with their damp inquisitive noses. (Bulls are another story. In a 'past life' as a ornithologist, a colleague was caught out in a paddock by a bull, and ended up being chased cartoon-style around the trunk of a massive tree, until he managed to find a foothold to climb up. I can't remember how he escaped, but he felt himself lucky, as we were working in the same area that 150 years previously Scottish botanist David Douglas (of Douglas Fir fame) had been killed in a pit trap for wild cattle.)
@VNwalking @Sabine - as you know....I am not fond of cows, but they are fond of me!🐮🐄 I hope you are both well! T

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Could I put up my choice for 'worst'.

Lyke Wake Walk is only 40 miles but it is through some of the worst boggy terrain I've come across. You're supposed to do it overnight and in less than 24 hours. Horrible and I didn't finish.

For some reason I expunge the memory of that trip and then tried it a second time - successfully. So beware of suggestions that you haven't researched before trying.

This excellent blogpost covers a lot of ground, and might be of interest to anyone considering a pilgrimage walk in England:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This year the pesky Schengen visa requirements and my unalterable commitments conspire together to prevent me from walking in Spain. So I have been looking to Britain for solace, and escape from the Schengen Zone for a few weeks.
And I found this:
And oh what a rabbit hole it is! I know this wonderful website will absolutely be no news to many, but I have had my head in the Spanish sand - so have not been paying any attention to pilgrimages in Britain.

Please can you give me a recommendation for your favourite week/10 day/2 week amble? It doesn't have to be one of the ones the BPT lists...anything is fair game at the moment.
Thanks!
And I found this:

Thanks!
Definitely Offas Dyke. Not a pilgrimage as such but and interesting walk. I camped some and found a couple of cheap pubs along the way.

of course - once a pilgrim - every step you take is a pilgrimage..... so go where the wind blows you!

@VNwalking, kia ora (greetings, good health)

In 2019, I guess your plans ahead got disrupted quite quickly. Now we are collectively on a more even keel, I've read through the various suggestions, added a few of my own and made up a pilgrimage list for your further consideration.

The first three are focused on S Cuthbert – from his birthplace to final resting place:
#kmway namefromto
1130S CuthbertMelroseLindisfarnebucket list
2160S OswaldLindisfarneHexhambucket list
375Way of lightHexhamDurhambucket list
The scot who led the way on this part of the east coast

Scotland
#kmway namefromto
41303 SaintsKillinS Andrewsbucket list
5100S MargaretS AndrewsS Margaret's Chapel, Edinburgh Castlebucket list
6215WhithornGlasgow CathedralS Ninian's, Whithornwalked
S Ninian is said to be the first missionary to Scotland, about AD 400

Wales
#kmway namefromto
7110S WinefrideShewsburyHolywellbucket list
8210North WalesHolywellBardseybucket list

And further south and east, with some overlap on the last three
#kmway namefromto
960S AlbansLondon CathedralS Albans Cathedralbucket list
10255North DownsWinchester CathedralCanterbury Cathedral
11130(A Canterbury Tale)Southwark CathedralCanterbury Cathedralwalked
12110Augustine CaminoRochester CathedralS Augustine, Ramsgatebucket list
S Alban was the first martyr in England, being killed close by (3rd century).
S Augustine, sent to be a missionary to angels, not Angles and said to have landed at Ramsgate about AD 600, created his first diocese at Canterbury and his second at Rochester. Here there is a grand modern mural in the Cathedral (first for centuries!) on the Baptism of Christ et al. The Dean some years ago told my (now late) wife and me that many young children wanted to know why Jesus was doing the two fingered salute. My wife (previously a religious sister) quickly said this indicated the doctrine of the dual nature of Christ.

On getting about
As others have said, and my experience, with the major exception of London, backpacking accommodation is few and far between. Unless you have a willing book-reader who will do the driving. And costly: for me, my tent etc is in my pack with a cheap hotel every few days to refresh the clothes, food and tablet battery.

As the late Queen once told us who live way down under, kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient).

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had planned to walk the St Cuthbert Way but had to cancel, and have not yet replanned that one. It means timing the crossing to Lindisfarne.
But I am hoping to get to the Dingle Way this year which has the benefit of also being a Camino route (Celtic Camino) (and for me not have to plan getting off the island). There is a mix of hostels and B&Bs
And if you have dates in mind it can sometimes be cheaper to fly rather than train (despite the environmental implications of train vs plane)
St Cuthbert way is on my list too. But at the moment Spain calls.......

This walk might keep you busy for a while!!

Annette, kia ora (greetings, good health)

On reading this thread again, I've taken the plunge and downloaded the dreaded Cicerone book and started to delve.

The first task is to get a route There are several .gpx file sets available and map onto my preferred mapping system (Open Street Maps) and from there I will be able to see the entire route in Hiking.WayMarkedTrails.org as the work progresses.

A quick glance so far suggests some of the Welsh pilgrimages might be used instead of the Lands End etc route through Wales..

And in Scotland, I might be able to divert westwards after Carlisle and complete the Withorn Way in reverse (from Whithorn to S Mungo's Cathedral, Glasgow).

And, of course, dreams are free.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

I did not see this fact clearly stated above, but while time spent in the UK is or may be out of the EU Schengen free travel area, the Irish Republic is in the EU. So time spent in Ireland is the same, visa wise, as time in Spain.

if I am wrong, please correct me. Both Ireland and the UK both have wonderful pilgrimage routes.

Johnnie Walker would be a good “go to” source. Also, the Camino Society of Ireland would be a good source for the Irish routes.
Katar1na will doubtless fill in the details, but I understand Ireland is not part of the Schengen area and therefore a stay in the Republic won't affect a Spanish visa.

And I found this:

Thanks!
There's a new route from Reading (an old pilgrimage site) via Winchester to Southampton. There have been recent posts about it but I am not sure where. We did the first stage to Silchester. It is newly way marked and a pretty walk.
https://www.visit-reading.com/ideas...he St James's Way is,where St James is buried.
But even with the collapse of Sterling, it isn't going to be cheap.

Katar1na will doubtless fill in the details, but I understand Ireland is not part of the Schengen area and therefore a stay in the Republic won't affect a Spanish visa.
Greetings from Ireland.

You are correct, we are in the EU but not in Schengen.

We also have a common travel area with the UK.

I'm commenting because I've seen a few queries in this very interesting thread so I thought I'd shed some light on what this means.

UK Ireland Common Travel Area

Ireland and the UK share a Common Travel Area - and this has not changed after Brexit.

Citizens of both countries can move freely back and forth, with no limits as to time spent and can reside in either state without a permit.

However, this only applies to citizens of the UK and Ireland

Generally speaking, if you need a visa to visit or reside in the UK this visa doesn't entitle you to visit Ireland.

Similarly, if you need a visa to visit or reside in Ireland this visa doesn't entitle you to visit the UK.

The exception is Ireland's short stay visa programme. and the British Irish visa program for Chinese and Indian nationals.

Ireland and Schengen

Ireland is not part of the Schengen area.

If you need a visa to visit Ireland, the Irish visa will not entitle you to visit the Schengen area.

Similarly, a visa for the Schengen area does not entitle you to visit Ireland.

Because of this, time in Ireland does not count against a Schengen visa time limit and vice versa.

(But depending on where you come from, you might not need a visa to come to Ireland or may be entitled to a visa on arrival)

Entry to Ireland :Visa and non Visa required countries

@dick bird As you're from New Zealand Australia (sorry Dick) it's not a problem 'cos we let you guys in visa free 😁

I know all this from personal experience. I was married to a non-EU national and we lived in Northern Ireland which falls under the UK. Her UK visa did not allow her to visit my family in the Republic of Ireland, so she needed a separate Irish visa for this. There was no direct flight to her home country so whenever we visited we had to fly via an airport in the Schengen area. This required applying for a Schengen visa every single time.

Last edited:
I'm commenting because I've seen a few queries in this very interesting thread so I thought I'd shed some light on what this means.
Thanks for your very detailed post. I'm a Brit living in the UK and it makes me wince every time I read a post that just refers to regulations in "Europe" as if Europe was a simple single unit! If only... :)

This new article by Steven Morris in The Guardian published 26/09/2022 describes 2 very timely walks in Scotland and Bristol by climate pilgrims

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's a new route from Reading (an old pilgrimage site) via Winchester to Southampton. There have been recent posts about it but I am not sure where. We did the first stage to Silchester. It is newly way marked and a pretty walk.
https://www.visit-reading.com/ideas-and-inspiration/itineraries-and-breaks/pilgrimage#:~:text=The St James's Way is,where St James is buried.
But even with the collapse of Sterling, it isn't going to be cheap.
I walked this recently and was impressed. I only met two other pilgrims, and I'll get around to finishing the write up at some point soon...

Oh I think you must do St Cuthbert, it is one of the best 100km possible (outside Spain, claro, he adds hurriedly), taking in several fine abbeys, Walter Scott's gaff, Roman ruins and a road, glorious border countryside (the border I live on), the end of the Pennine Way, the magnificent rolling high empty Cheviot hills, the meanders of the Tweed and, best of all, the walk across the sands to holy Lindisfarne - take your boots off and walk barefoot at low tide across the sucking sands for the best (free) foot massage ever. Let me know when/if you're coming and stay at my place on the way there/back.

When I was still writing for the Guardian I did a few pieces on it:

Thanks for the link to your article and now more than ever plan to undertake this route in 2023

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.