• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone have any travel advice getting to SJPdP from Hawaii?

analoha

We will be starting from SJPdP in late August. If anyone has any experience worth sharing on getting there from Hawaii, it would be greatly appreciated... :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Aloha!

You might want to look into flying Westward, unlike the rest of us who fly East towards Europe...if you do fly Eastward, have you looked into flying from Hawaii (not sure which island you are on) to NYC, then onto Paris? I think Hawaiian Airlines flies into NYC.

I prefer to fly into Paris, out of Madrid. It's called an open jaw ticket. If you need some help with this feel free to PM me...I know of some resources that might be able to help you out. This might be a good reason to use a travel agent.

That's quite the challenge, I have to say!

In Gratitude for your help! Flying into Madrid saves almost $500; now if I can just make everything else work; I don't really understand the open jaw ticket, would you mind explaining? (I couldn't figure out how to send this PM).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you look below my picture, there is a little PM button you can click on to PM me...hope that helps.

Open jaw tickets are where you fly into one city but out of another city. For instance, fly into Paris, fly out of Madrid. It's much easier to get from Paris to SJPdP than from Madrid to SJPdP. You can look for these kinds of tickets on Kayak.com using the "Multi-City" option.

You can also contact me via my blog....address is in my signature.

Or you can take a train from Paris to SJPdP which is easier.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Analoha:

This is going to be one long day plus of travel.

You have several options. BTW, I am using 8/20 to 9/26 for dates.

One option would be to fly HNL to Paris CDG (25 hours) 1 stop in Dallas. Then travel to Montparnesse train station (30 min.) and take the TGV to Bayonne (5.5hrs), then the local train to SJPdP (1.5hrs). 32 hours plus time in between scheduled departures. Then Santiago to Madrid (1.5 hrs.) and Madrid to HNL (25 hrs). Scheduling should be easier here.

Option two. Fly HNL to London LHR (20-23 hrs.) Transfer from LHR to Stansted (2 hrs.) airport and fly Ryanair to Biarritz (2.5 hrs) short taxi to Bayonne and then local train to SJPdP (1.5 hrs). Return fly Santiago to Stansted (2.5hrs), travel Stansted to LHR (Heathrow) (2hrs), LHR to HNL (19-23hrs).

Option three - Fly HNL to Madrid (25hrs), Madrid to Pamplona (probably 2 hrs), taxi to SJPdP (check forum to share ride/cost with others). Return Santiago to Madrid Madrid to HNL (25hrs).

All options add up to a long trip.

Some things to consider in your decision making. Do you know anyone you want to visit in any of these cities (London, Madrid or Paris)? Would you like to spend time visiting any of these cities? do you prefer traveling by plane train or bus? Is cost an issue? Do you have to start in SJPdP? Pamplona could be an option, many start there?

Hope this helps. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back