• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone have experience with a Campmor poncho?

Meredith1

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2012
In my on-going & hopefully not futile quest for a poncho that I can afford, rely on, and be sure of receiving before I start walking, I came across Campmor ponchos online. I've searched the forum and found a couple of comments from several years ago from someone who was planning on getting one but nothing about its performance. Can anyone offer advice from experience? Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think you will like the pullover design. It takes a second person to arrange it around the pack. It is slow to get into, and not much faster to get out of. That is bad in stop and go rain. It does not drape over your pack, so you need to stow it each time you take it off.

falcon269 said:
I don't think you will like the pullover design. It takes a second person to arrange it around the pack. It is slow to get into, and not much faster to get out of. That is bad in stop and go rain. It does not drape over your pack, so you need to stow it each time you take it off.

Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
falcon269 said:

Although I have the Sea-to-Summit poncho, rather than the Campmor, they have the same design. Everything Falcon says is true, although with some minor gymnastics and a few pokes with a pole, it only takes one person to put it on. However, it is lighter weight than carrying a rain jacket and rain pants, or an Altus. It was quite appropriate equipment for walking in France in September, where there were only two rainy afternoons the entire month. I wished for more robust protection while walking in Czech Republic and Germany in May, when there were more and rainier days.

[/quote]Although I have the Sea-to-Summit poncho, rather than the Campmor, they have the same design. Everything Falcon says is true, although with some minor gymnastics and a few pokes with a pole, it only takes one person to put it on. However, it is lighter weight than carrying a rain jacket and rain pants, or an Altus....I wished for more robust protection while walking in Czech Republic and Germany in May, when there were more and rainier days.[/quote]

I have the Campmor silnylon poncho, which worked fine in the rain on a short 5-day trip on the Appalachian Trail in October 2009. I agree with Kitsambler - except that there's a new Altus model that's substantially lighter. I ordered it from Barrabes on-line on a Monday, and received it maybe three days later in California. (They make you pay 50 euros for that, but...) The overall great reviews of the Altus design sold me on the purchase, not to mention the high likelihood of rain on our Camino this September-October. I also purchased eVent rain mitts from Mountain Laurel Designs, a cottage industry in the U.S.. We'll see - I like minimalist gear, and it's too easy to load up the protection.

cmkudija said:
The overall great reviews of the Altus design sold me on the purchase, not to mention the high likelihood of rain on our Camino this September-October.

Thanks for your response. Now about that high likelihood of rain in Sept/Oct: I'd thought that Sept. tended to be drier! :shock: I guess climate change throws everything off. I'm going from Sept 3 - Oct 3--hope I get my poncho situation solved in good time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nine days of rain in September 2011, 8 days in 2010, and 6 days in 2009 in Santiago.

falcon269 said:
Nine days of rain in September 2011, 8 days in 2010, and 6 days in 2009 in Santiago.
Well I don't know where the rain rained those 9 days in Sept 2011, but we started walking from Roncesvalles on 7th Sept 2011 right through to Santiago and didn't see one drop of rain. We brought our trusty umbrella along and used it against the sun, as the temperature was unseasonably hot, often in the 30's. Anne

annakappa said:
falcon269 said:
Well I don't know where the rain rained those 9 days in Sept 2011, but we started walking from Roncesvalles on 7th Sept 2011 right through to Santiago and didn't see one drop of rain. We brought our trusty umbrella along and used it against the sun, as the temperature was unseasonably hot, often in the 30's. Anne

I believe I have solved the rain problem for September 2012: I have just ordered a poncho, so I feel certain it will not rain during my Camino. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.