• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone have this problem?

anthonyjf

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino was in September/October of 2009.
Hello,
Three months ago I sent my membership application with check for membership and a donation to the American Pilgrims on the Camino, so far, I have heard nothing except one email from them that they would "look into this" I never thought there would be a problem.I was promised a credencial, a pilgrim magazine, and their latest newsletter, but never received anything - I really feel taken. Has anyone here encounted a similar difficulty with this organization?

Thank you,
Tony in NYC

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
anthonyjf said:
Has anyone here encounted a similar difficulty with this organization?

Last summer I applied for a credencial on their website, but I never received it (I never sent any money, though). I believe others on the site have recently ordered and gotten credencials from them, however. :arrow:

Hi,

I sent them the requested donation and after a month or so, finally got the credential, but no book as promised. They've recently updated their web site, but the impression I get is that communication is hit or miss.

Stay on them...and keep up the pressure. I'll re email them and shake their tree.

Buen "credential in hand" Camino
Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One thing to keep in mind re: AmPilgs is they all are volunteers, full of great intentions and dreams and plans. Some are great organizers and very ´together,´ while others are overscheduled, stressed-out Regular People... just like any other volunteer group, it IS a bit ´hit or miss´ sometimes.

Try to be patient. If all else fails you can always get your credential the same day you start the hike. (and if you´re desperate, I have some here...)

Rebekah

Rebekah Scott said:
while others are overscheduled, stressed-out Regular People... just like any other volunteer group, it IS a bit ´hit or miss´ sometimes.

I suppose...but that doesn't let them off the hook. If people volunteer for something, but then turn out to be more troublesome than helpful, then perhaps whomever hired them on should sit them down and find out what their issue is, and help them through it - or let them go. My retreat at the monastery in Rabanal was tainted by an overworked and stressed volunteer who took out her frustrations on me. That's not cool, especially on the Camino.

As you say, everyone is human and has a bad day. But that's no excuse for negligence or flying off the handle at others. And that goes for me as well - I got a bit testy at some albergue workers who laughed at me for forgetting where my room was, and I felt bad afterwards and apologized as best I could (they didn't speak English). If the American Pilgrim site is flaky, then they need to do some self-correction - for their own benefit as much as for the pilgrims they serve. :arrow:

Thank you everyone for your responses, I'll wait awhile and send them another request for the credencial, if I don't hear for them I'll pick one up at St. Jean Pied.

Saludos from New York City,

Tony

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When joining any of the confraternities, check the small print for their 'membership year'. A few years ago I joined the CSJ in the UK. My membership lasted about 2 months!
I completed a credit card form at the end of July and the amount was relfected on my account at the end of August. In September I received a the first (and only) Bulletin with a membership renewal form. When I emailed Marion at the CSJ office to ask if I should ignore it I was told that they couldn't backdate my application by three months and that I should have read the small print which clearly states that membership year is from October to September. Suffice to say I didn't renew my membership and it was a costly lesson - for the price of a full year's membership I received one Bulletin and nothing further.

Anyone have this problem? - a happy ending

Hello Everyone,
I just received an email from American Pilgrims and they explained that sometimes applications and checks get mixed up, they were very apologetic and they further told me that my credencial along with newsletter and Pilgrims Magazine was in the mail. Another good and happy ending - Gracias a Dios!

To everyone who sent me responses Thank you so very much.

Tony

Re: Anyone have this problem? - a happy ending

Hello All!
I sent off my online membership, credential request and donation form about a month ago (an electronic check followed. The check has cleared, but still no word from them. I fired off an e-mail last week asking them to confirm reciept but so far, no word. Busy people no doubt. Sigh.

I am looking forward to the annual gathering of the Pilgrims they are organizaing for March 2009. It will be in Albuquerque, NM and includes an opportunity to be trained as a hospilero (sp?). I plan to attend.

Question: do any of you know where I could obtain a pilgrimage patch indicating I am from the USA? I want to put it on my pack. If I cannot find one, I will just sew a US flag on it.

"Ginn"
Or "Peregrina-Pulver"

__________________EXCERPT FOLLOWS_________________
anthonyjf said:
Hello Everyone,
I just received an email from American Pilgrims and they explained that sometimes applications and checks get mixed up, they were very apologetic and they further told me that my credencial along with newsletter and Pilgrims Magazine was in the mail. Another good and happy ending - Gracias a Dios!

To everyone who sent me responses Thank you so very much.

Tony

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.