• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone have updated accomodation list? (Or just recommendations!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope to walk Lourdes to St Jean in the week after Easter 2020.
I have read in a number of places that you need to call ahead to arrange accommodation in the hostels on this route.
Is this true or do you just need to call when you arrive to meet the host and get into the building?
Not a major problem but my French is NOT good and I'm not really confident using phones overseas.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Tony

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walked the Piemont from Marie-St-Oloron to Lourdes in April, 2019. I speak no French, but asked managed to call ahead by asking tourist offices, friendly bar owners, other pilgrims, or even my current hostel host to call ahead each day.

These calls were to ensure that the next day’s gite was open and someone would be around to let us in. While it was not necessary for all of them, it can definitely be a requirement depending upon where you are staying. For the pilgrim house in Lourdes and the albergue in MsO, it wasn‘t necessary.

I walked Lourdes to Oloron Ste-Marie end of May 2019. Here's my experience and recommendation.

Lourdes: Stayed in a hotel. Wasn't coming in during the busy summer months so wasn't too concerned. Checked a week or so before arriving and there were plenty of hotel rooms. Decided on hotel room rather than a gite because I wanted to spend an extra night. On the way to Lourdes, I stopped for lunch and decided to check again. Hotel rooms in the central part, where I wanted to stay, were nearly gone. Called hotel and booked a room right then. Town was packed. Very interesting but if I had to do over I would not spend an extra night.

Asson: One gite with 5 beds and a mattress on the floor if needed, in two separate buildings. There is a kitchen in one of the buildings. I called the day before and booked a bed. There were five people that night. This is a small gite. The town has one pizza restaurant that sells a few grocery items. Be aware of holidays and days that they are normally closed so you know if you have to haul your food in. I was there on a holiday and watched a father/son team have a melt down. Gite has no dinner/no breakfast. Hospitalero does not speak English.

Arudy: The gite is in the local priest's home. I booked the day before but there was plenty of space and pre-booking wasn't necessary. There were 8 or so people that night. The priest fixes a community dinner and there is breakfast. The priest does not speak English and is a little cranky. But mention Joan Baez and he's butter in your hands and has some English after all.

Oloron-Ste-Marie-Marie: Only one gite, which is surprising because this is the crossroads for several St James paths and GR trails. Absolutely make reservations. It was full. The gite is very nice. No bunk beds. The rooms I checked had 4 beds to a room. Hospitalero spoke fluent English. If you want, she will make reservations for the next night. No dinner or breakfast served. There isn't much near by. Couple of bars and a pizza restaurant. There is a fancy/shmancy wine/food store but not really a grocery store. Nothing open the next morning for breakfast. My guess is that about a third of the people were going the Somport and the rest to SJPdP.

Bon chemin.

Thanks for the replies and info. I quite like Joan Baez too!!! I usually carry a little food supply and it sounds like it may be necessary. Thanks again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back