• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone here who walked the Camino having neuropathy?

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
Hi,

I'd be interested to know if there are other members her who have polyneuropathy, especially in the feet?

For some years now, I've got neuropathy in my feet, due to a side-effect of antibiotic. I notice the neuropathy especially when I wear shoes, even in protective shoes that have no seams in the inside and are particularly made for that problem. However, these shoes are heavy and above all have no good profile, so they will be unsuitable for the Camino.

I then tested different shoes in three different shoe shops, and finally chose a pair from Meindl (trailers, Portland). In this my insoles fit perfectly and I have enough space around the toes. Nevertheless, I have found that walking in these shoes is not really comfortable, compared to my other shoes. I have only been testing for three weeks, so I'm not giving up yet, but I would like to ask others who also have neuropathy in their feet what your experiences are? What sort of shoes are you wearing?

The second question I have: I'm really scared of getting blisters. Two of my doctors - an orthopedist and an internist - think that I have to stop the camino immediately if I'm going to have blisters, as they can easily get infected and then there is the danger of amputation.

Did you get similar advice from your doctors, how did you handle the topic? What did you do when you got blisters during the Caminos?

I take care of my feet, go regularly to the podiatrist and I already diligently test with various socks, at the moment I use Wright socks, so far it looks good. But still, insecurity remains. But I do have some months to find out what works best for me, so hopefully everything will work out o.k.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have neuropathy and have walked the Camino three times. I haven't had any warnings about blisters. I know that's a concern with people with diabetic neuropathy, but I haven't been told that it pertains to my type. My feet always feel better when I walk a lot. I wore trail runners for my first two Caminos, and walked most of the Camino del Norte in sandals. The only issue I have is being able to tell the difference between a hot spot forming and the burning feeling that comes with neuropathy. I put Omnifix tape on sensitive spots on my feet every day, and that prevents blisters.

I have this neuropathy issue in my whole left leg. It started like a sciatica but then the doctors set the diagnose although the reason wasn't found. I feel like electricity in my leg, sometimes even pain, lots of cramps but when this year I walked 300km+ on Camino it was just one day when I slightly felt some pain but only after the walk. I try to take vitamine B and magnesium.
Bottomline, I have more problems with it when at home and just lurking at the computer screen than on the Camino :)

Last edited:
I am Type2 diabetic with early signs of neuropathy and I’ve been advised to take great care with my feet. I’ve had quite a few blisters over the years, but they have responded well to the application of compeed and normal plasters. The advice I’ve taken without question is to avoid ‘solutions’ that involve draining the blisters using a needle and thread.

Last edited:
The advice I’ve taken without question is to avoid ‘solutions’ that involve draining the plasters using a needle and thread.
I think that everyone should heed that advice. The old needle and thread treatment just creates a pathway for bacteria to enter the wound.

I think that everyone should heed that advice. The old needle and thread treatment just creates a pathway for bacteria to enter the wound.
IF you decide to drain the blister with needle and the thread ALWAYS use thread soaked in iodine and disinfect the needle over the fire (cig lighter would do)!!! Otherwise it might be a disaster as @trecile wrote. And after the "surgery" cover the blister properly and clean it at least once daily with either iodine or pharmacy alcohol.

But I still don't recommend it!

Just finishing my first Camino ( Portuguese Seaside and coastal) was recommended Meindl air active, a size larger than normal. Most comfortable trekking shoes ever. My secret for no blisters is 1000 mile socks, no problems at all once care taken putting them on. Now, my knees , well that’s another story!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IF you decide to drain the blister with needle and the thread ALWAYS use thread soaked in iodine and disinfect the needle over the fire (cig lighter would do)!!! Otherwise it might be a disaster as @trecile wrote. And after the "surgery" cover the blister properly and clean it at least once daily with either iodine or pharmacy alcohol.

But I still don't recommend it!
Using a lghter to sterilize brings carbon into the wound. Bring clean blades. Watch Youtube videos on blister care.

Without carbon the life on Earth would be impossible ;)

Thanks to all of you who answered.

Well, than I will just try to train as much as I can, hope that I'll find perfect shoes & socks. Then I hopefully won`t get any blisters and don't have to keep the distances too low.

Btw: The only thing I was very seriously warned to use is Compeed or anything comparable, because one can't check whether a blister gets infected, since they are not changed daily. Due to the neuropathy some people might not notice an infection right away, and get in to serious problems.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Btw: The only thing I was very seriously warned to use is Compeed or anything comparable, because one can't check whether a blister gets infected, since they are not changed daily. Due to the neuropathy some people might not notice an infection right away, and get in to serious problems.
If the Compeed is applied on a hot spot or unopened blister then you don't have to worry about infection. Compeed is called "second skin", which in fact allows your skin to grow over the blister and during that time body itself drain the water from the blister on the inside. But don't apply Compeed on open blister because that's definitely a recipe for infection. In this case gauze or something like that is much better.

Thanks to all of you who answered.

Well, than I will just try to train as much as I can, hope that I'll find perfect shoes & socks. Then I hopefully won`t get any blisters and don't have to keep the distances too low.

I'd recommend not using compeed because it is nearly impossible to remove if it becomes necessary to do so. As I understand it, compeed is used to cushion the area surrounding the hot spot/blister if it's closed. But at some point, that blister may open and it will be difficult to clean adequately with the compeed surrounding it. Your best bet with neuropathy is consistent preventive measures (taping vulnerable areas every morning & removing tape after walking, washing & drying thoroughly every nite, inspecting the entire foot & toes before & after washing for skin changes, tenderness, etc). You will avoid infection with vigilant skin care if you are not immunodepressed. Walking with closed blisters is painful so if you do not want to open them, it's imperative to prevent them. I encourage you to learn how to do dressings if needed before you begin your Camino (online videos) & also practice taping potential blister areas with paper tape. You should also practice using lubricants (glide, etc) to see how to effectively use them in conjunction with taping (eg tape won't adhere to the area where you apply lubricant so figure out in advance how to affix the tape effectively). If you practice all this before you go, you will save yourself hours of frustration on the Camino trying to find what works best for you. One more thing, consider trying gel inserts available over the counter. Dr School makes some fir about $20//pair and they may help a lot. Buen Camino.

had no foot problems at all over 40 days using merino wool socks. Low odor, feel soft and supportive. Not cheap but inexpensive insurance - try a pair at home first.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back