• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone in Korea?

Jamie Y. Mo

A lifelong learner and wanderer
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May-July/2017) PC (May-July/2018) and more...
I'll be moving to Korea for a while for work in a few days.
I'm wondering if there are any pilgrims there in this forum.
Not Seoul but Southeast part of Korea.
Looking to do some walking when I'm available..
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not in Korea now, but think you will need to self-quarantine for two weeks after your arrival.
Mountain hiking is one of very popular activities there. It's normally a day-trip. But if you have time and prefer hiking in flat terrain, there is a "camino like" hiking course in Jeju Island that is a 425 Km long ring.

Wow, I am envious of your trip. Korean government is on top of COVID 19. They had the 1st patient in January, but so far they have a total of less than 400 death with around 20,000 cases. They test, trace, and treat. It is under control partly because there are closed circuit TVs in every corner. You can't do anything without being video taped by one of these. That makes it possible to trace and test every suspected case. I guess it is good and bad to be under that much surveillance. Have a nice stay.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not in Korea now, but think you will need to self-quarantine for two weeks after your arrival.
Mountain hiking is one of very popular activities there. It's normally a day-trip. But if you have time and prefer hiking in flat terrain, there is a "camino like" hiking course in Jeju Island that is a 425 Km long ring.
Awesome. Thank you! Jeju island is where I'll be frequently. I have heard about it but have no details yet.

Then perhaps you would like to climb Hanla Mountain. It's the tallest mountain in South Korea. It's absolutely beautiful in spring time with full of blooming azaleas. I think it takes as long as going over the Pyrenees from SJPD, it was for me anyway. There are many B&B places to stay.

Then perhaps you would like to climb Hanla Mountain. It's the tallest mountain in South Korea. It's absolutely beautiful in spring time with full of blooming azaleas. I think it takes as long as going over the Pyrenees from SJPD, it was for me anyway. There are many B&B places to stay.
Thank you for the info! Sounds like you've been there yourself. That's great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I have traveled Korea and Japan extensively a few times. There are many hidden gems in South Korea, outside the big cities like Seoul or Busan. Hope you get to enjoy them. I don't recommend visiting Japan right now due to high COVID cases and radiation concerns. One of the problems when visiting country side is a lack of western foods. Korean foods are very good, but very heavily seasoned. You either like it or can't tolerate the flavor.

Yes, I have traveled Korea and Japan extensively a few times. There are many hidden gems in South Korea, outside the big cities like Seoul or Busan. Hope you get to enjoy them. I don't recommend visiting Japan right now due to high COVID cases and radiation concerns. One of the problems when visiting country side is a lack of western foods. Korean foods are very good, but very heavily seasoned. You either like it or can't tolerate the flavor.
Good for you. I've traveled to Korea, Japan and China a few times too. Loved all of them. I have a family member living in Korea right now so it won't be too bad. Just that I'm there for work mostly.. and I haven't spent much time in small towns and the islands so I'm looking to do something different- exploring the countryside. I don't think I'm allowed to travel any other country other than Korea. Too bad but I accept it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks!
Alwayte
Thanks!
Resented the Korean walkers. The could move quickly, especially when going downhill on uneven surfaces. Wish I had trained like them.

Well, they tend to be shorter than westerners in general, and the center of the gravity is lower. Accordingly they can maintain their balances more easily than taller people. My Korean friends will happily trade in this advantage for an inch at any time.

Well, they tend to be shorter than westerners in general, and the center of the gravity is lower. Accordingly they can maintain their balances more easily than taller people. My Korean friends will happily trade in this advantage for an inch at any time.
They shared with me that they train as part of clubs. And these organizations are popular in Korea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't recommend visiting Japan right now due to high COVID cases and radiation concerns.
Japan has had significantly fewer COVID cases than many European countries so far, but higher case loads than its Asian neighbors (764 cases per million population in Japan compared to 506 cases per million in Korea or 23 cases per million population in Taiwan - according to Worldometers). But the country is basically closed to foreign tourists at the moment. The government has announced its intention to open to tourists by April 2021.

If radiation concerns you, I guess that"s going to be a longer term issue than COVID and you will have to follow advice from a source that you trust.

FWIW - I had a terrific time hiking on the east coast of Taiwan at the start of this year and I would thoroughly recommend it once travel becomes possible. Very affordable. Equally friendly (or friendlier?). Plenty of cyclist hostels. Proper thru-hiking paths on the east coast are not established yet, but it's walkable. Alternatively, you could base yourself in a national park for some very enjoyable day hikes.

In any case, please get in touch if you do manage to visit Japan. I'm in Tokyo at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in Korea for 3 years. They have wonderful National Parks and plenty of great hiking trails. When I was there I loved hiking in these parks and the Korea people are so friendly. Enjoy your time hiking there!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back