• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone in or passing through Ireland, this Greenway could be of interest.

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Hi everyone. In this time of not knowing when or how life can resume 'the normal', whatever that was!, I came across something this morning that could interest anybody, although at this moment in time, it can truly be of interest only to people within 5km of any point on the route known as the Royal Canal Greenway. If nothing else, it can whet your appetite for a future wander along a lovely route, and part of it is the walk to the famine ships that took people to the New World, the world of hope and promise.. it would interest anybody who might have to touch down in Ireland en route to Spain. Enjoy!

https://royalcanalrunner.com/2021/03/24/official-launch-of-the-royal-canal-greenway/

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone. In this time of not knowing when or how life can resume 'the normal', whatever that was!, I came across something this morning that could interest anybody, although at this moment in time, it can truly be of interest only to people within 5km of any point on the route known as the Royal Canal Greenway. If nothing else, it can whet your appetite for a future wander along a lovely route, and part of it is the walk to the famine ships that took people to the New World, the word of hope and promise.. it would interest anybody who might have to touch down in Ireland one route to Spain. Enjoy!

https://royalcanalrunner.com/2021/03/24/official-launch-of-the-royal-canal-greenway/
Christie Moore did a song about it! "Along the banks of the Royal Canal" :)

samarkand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Am I wrong to think it's mostly hardscape underfoot? (Looked at pictures in the link.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone. In this time of not knowing when or how life can resume 'the normal', whatever that was!, I came across something this morning that could interest anybody, although at this moment in time, it can truly be of interest only to people within 5km of any point on the route known as the Royal Canal Greenway. If nothing else, it can whet your appetite for a future wander along a lovely route, and part of it is the walk to the famine ships that took people to the New World, the world of hope and promise.. it would interest anybody who might have to touch down in Ireland en route to Spain. Enjoy!

Thanks Kirkie, I am already planning it as a pre-caminowalk to finish my training for 22-23. or perhaps a quickie trip from the East Coast,USA... Hopefully, by that time,we can walk all the way to Dublin!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was Luke Kelly singing the song that first awakened my interest in the prison and the canal.
Now the Royal has joined my list of wannado walks, and is surely at the top of things to do when next visiting the Emerald Isle.
There is a Famine Way from Strokestown in Co Roscommon to the Custom House in Dublin. 165 km long, much of it along the Royal Canal. You can find out more by following this link -
I have signed up but unable to do it until Covid restrictions are lifted and hospitality reopens.

Here performed by Luke Kelly and the Dubliners, I was thinking "The Auld Triangle' to be a fine "set off song" for the mornings.
I do like a good song as I set off to brighten my spirits, and also to set my walking rhythm.
However I do need a translation for the following terms.
"You Bowsie" I reckon it means "You lazy B?" and
"Humpy Gussy was creeping" - "The morning sunshine creeping across the floor?"

Such a fine song I'd appreciate any help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh! I had hesitated to post a video! Luke Kelly was born very near to where I lived for many years, and I live here again! His voice is held in the air around here. Here is another song he sang, one that is caught up in the sore hearts of many...

It was Luke Kelly singing the song that first awakened my interest in the prison and the canal.
Now the Royal has joined my list of wannado walks, and is surely at the top of things to do when next visiting the Emerald Isle.
Sorry for not taking a bit more time before posting. Wikipedia states, re The Ould Triangle, that in fact it was not Behan who penned the words...
Anyway, you have to search out two pieces recognising Luke placed recently in Dublin. I leave you to use duckduckgo or the more well known searcher! 😁

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

What a charming and professional presentation! Every one of the local and business folk who have a few words to say does so with such genuine delight and encouragement. As I plan on a USA-
Dublin-Rosslare-San Santander/Bilboa route next year, this is the perfect (as noted in a subsequent post) pre-Camino walk, or, post-multi-hour-flight-from-USA-to-Ould-Sod-Leg-Stretch-Walk. I know we have Greenways in USA, but what they fail to provide, in our concrete-and-car-culture, is the option of popping into the local pub or cafe for a pint or a cup of coffee just a step or two from the Greenway. And, taking the train back, so you don't have to, if you choose, turn 'round and walk back. Okay, enough viral enthusiasm, I'm "IN" with the Royal Canal Greenway walk firmly inked into "My Bucket List".

What a wonderful amenity to have close by. I hope it is not long before your restrictions are lifted so you can enjoy this experience in its entirety.

Thanks Kirkie, I am already planning it as a pre-caminowalk to finish my training for 22-23. or perhaps a quickie trip from the East Coast,USA... Hopefully, by that time,we can walk all the way to Dublin!
You already can walk to Dublin
There is a Famine Way from Strokestown in Co Roscommon to the Custom House in Dublin. 165 km long, much of it along the Royal Canal. You can find out more by following this link -
I have signed up but unable to do it until Covid restrictions are lifted and hospitality reopens.
yes ive signed up and have my famine passport ready for stamps. Just waiting for the all clear from government

What a charming and professional presentation! Every one of the local and business folk who have a few words to say does so with such genuine delight and encouragement. As I plan on a USA-
Dublin-Rosslare-San Santander/Bilboa route next year, this is the perfect (as noted in a subsequent post) pre-Camino walk, or, post-multi-hour-flight-from-USA-to-Ould-Sod-Leg-Stretch-Walk. I know we have Greenways in USA, but what they fail to provide, in our concrete-and-car-culture, is the option of popping into the local pub or cafe for a pint or a cup of coffee just a step or two from the Greenway. And, taking the train back, so you don't have to, if you choose, turn 'round and walk back. Okay, enough viral enthusiasm, I'm "IN" with the Royal Canal Greenway walk firmly inked into "My Bucket List".
Hi Catheriam,
If Rosslare is on your itinerary consider walking from Dublin!
At least partway - you can walk the Grand Canal to Robertstown then take a "left" off the Grand & along the intersecting Barrow Line. The Barrow line is the River Barrow + the added section of canal which was added to it in the 1900's in order to connect to the Grand, allowing goods to be transported from the South East to Dublin. The majority of the "Barrow Way" is trail & connects some beautiful & historic towns & villages with fantastic scenery along the way. From Carlow to St.Mullins is especially picturesque. It currently stops in St.Mullins but by the end of 2022 it should be tied in with both the New Ross to Waterford & Waterford to Dungarvan Greenways. St.Mullins is a very short distance from New Ross where there are regular buses to Rosslare.
P.S. John F. Kennedy homestead, National Park & Exibition Centre are in/near New Ross (his granfathers hometown).

Hi Catheriam,
If Rosslare is on your itinerary consider walking from Dublin!
At least partway - you can walk the Grand Canal to Robertstown then take a "left" off the Grand & along the intersecting Barrow Line. The Barrow line is the River Barrow + the added section of canal which was added to it in the 1900's in order to connect to the Grand, allowing goods to be transported from the South East to Dublin. The majority of the "Barrow Way" is trail & connects some beautiful & historic towns & villages with fantastic scenery along the way. From Carlow to St.Mullins is especially picturesque. It currently stops in St.Mullins but by the end of 2022 it should be tied in with both the New Ross to Waterford & Waterford to Dungarvan Greenways. St.Mullins is a very short distance from New Ross where there are regular buses to Rosslare.
P.S. John F. Kennedy homestead, National Park & Exibition Centre are in/near New Ross (his granfathers hometown).
I am not Catheriam, but I did exactly what you suggest, a couple of years ago, following the cruel Salvador! The Salvador is not cruel, my knees just suffered too much, so my choice the following year was the one above, with hardly an incline to bother me! Indeed it was a beautiful route.

A Bowsie is a Dublin term for a blackguard or a troublemaker.

And today’s bowsies distinguish themselves by disfiguring the rather startling sculpture of Luke Kelly by daubing it with red paint. Admittedly, a truncated head is inviting the application of fake blood.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am not Catheriam, but I did exactly what you suggest, a couple of years ago, following the cruel Salvador! The Salvador is not cruel, my knees just suffered too much, so my choice the following year was the one above, with hardly an incline to bother me! Indeed it was a beautiful route.
Sorry Kirkie - that was supposed to be a reply to Catheriam's post.

M.

FYI......."Waterways Ireland" is a very good source for each of the Canals mentioned, they are each broken down into short stages.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello to all interested in this walk. I saw this sign posted up along the canal yesterday. There's an email at the bottom right which you can write to to obtain a copy of this publication.20210626_141202.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back