A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID Anyone in Spain now have a guess on the planned opening of businesses again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa G

Camino(s) past & future
Scheduled for May 19, 2020
Good morning!
I have been planning my first Camino for 3 years as an I Survived Motherhood trip!😂. My flight from Lisbon into Spain has just been rescheduled!!

Anyone have a best guess on when Spain plans to start opening for business again? My flight is currently scheduled for May 19th.

Felipe

Veteran Member
I am not in Spain, but I follow the local press on a regular basis (I have many friends there...). As you know, the country has been struck very badly by the disease. Last news (from "El Pais" newspaper) : the government will extend the "emergency situation" (that means restricting most activities, keeping personal confinement, etc) until May 9. After that restrictions will be gradually lifted, with the distinct possibility of backtracking in the case that conditions worsen again. President Sanchez has said that he could not even guarantee if there will be normal summer vacations on Spanish beaches.

Last edited:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
After May 9 will start a "de-escalation" not defined yet that won't be uniform in Spain, said Sanchez.
In Madrid, Fiestas de San Isidro May 14 - 17 have been cancelled.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I'm not in Spain either, but here's a link that I got today from the WHO:

Congratulations on surviving motherhood Lisa... it's no small thing! But given that report, and the uncertainty of things in Spain right now, I'm very sorry to say that you might want to consider next May.
:confused:

Buen camino whenever you go!

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (1994) & (2013 - 2019)
Portugués (2015 - 2019)
de Madrid (2019)
Argentino/Inglés (2020)
Good morning!
I have been planning my first Camino for 3 years as an I Survived Motherhood trip!😂. My flight from Lisbon into Spain has just been rescheduled!!

Anyone have a best guess on when Spain plans to start opening for business again? My flight is currently scheduled for May 19th.
i live in madrid have been home confined now for over five weeks.
chances are (sadly) that on May 19th most businesses and indeed borders will remain closed. the State of Alarm has been extended to May 9th, and only after then will the government (if all goes as planned regarding covid19) begin to ease business and movement restrictions.
i honestly believe that there is no chance until june for hotels, restaurants and cafés to reopen. i hope i'm wrong. furthermore, when things open again, and the government has stressed this, it will be different for each region/autonomous community, and as you know, the French Camino crosses several.

in any case, there are daily and weekly briefings that you can follow or check on any of teh major newspapers, such as ElPaĂ­s.com. good luck and buen camino when the time comes

Monasp

I'm a manager of pilgrims office in SJPP
Camino(s) past & future
Camino in 2008.
Good morning!

You can see it some oficial information

Camino(s) past & future
Walked in "2016," "2018"

Traa

Camino(s) past & future
I want to walk Camino in Sept/Oct 2017
Good morning!

How can anyone guess that? We are all living day to day in this pandemic. Watch the news, you'll get accurate info there. Why are people so eager to travel and get going asap. I don't get it. Even if restrictions are lifted by the time of your flight, Spain has been so badly affected. Can't they be given the chance to recoupoerate.

ShaLaw

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Sept./Oct. 2015. Future Camino Portuguese in 2022.
As disappointing as it will be, especially after planning for three years, my guess is that your trip will have to wait. I had to cancel a grad trip for me and my kids to Europe in May so we will now go next May. I am of the belief that it will be months before anything will be back to normal, especially in those countries hardest hit, including Spain. Here in Canada, our leadership anticipates possibly months more of self-isolation. I think any country that lifts these rules now are doing it too soon. But I am no expert and this is just my opinion.

BUT, you WILL have your Camino some day! It's been there for over 1,000 years and it will still be there after all this is over. In the meantime, enjoy motherhood, watch all the Camino YouTube videos and have fun planning it!

Buen (future) Camino!

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués Porto'17,Lisbon'18
Inglés A Coruña y Ferrol '18
Invierno'19
Hello,
I live in A Coruña. Things go week by week here in Spain. Our good news this week is that they are going to figure out a way to let kids be outside for a limited time starting the 27th, then after May 10 we will start a very slow march to a new normal. I don’t think my family in the USA truly understand just how restrictive our stay at home orders are....no one has gone out for anything but food, meds, pet care, or work for those that work... We are looking forward to the simple things like a solitary jog or walk in the fresh air. Tourism is very important to Spain and they will get back to it ASAP, but not at the risk of the health of the citizens. As everyone knows this is unprecedented so there is no text book to lead us out, just the best guess and the hope of learning for any repeat.
The one thing I have noticed is the burst of creativity spawned by the lock down. I leave you with a link to my daughters' you can find so much out there to pass the time!! We will all walk again!!
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

MarkyD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
Good morning!

Hi Lisa G, the situation is changing here each week, and so things are still uncertain. I've shared a link to a video update on YouTube by an Australian called Stuart who lives in Madrid, which is also where I live. His regular updates are a great way to see and hear all the latest reported information which he presents in a non-partial, balanced way. The one here is his latest one.
To be honest, the 19th of May is probably still likely to have various restrictions in place, but a lot depends on what happens over the next 2 to 3 weeks as they begin a de-escalation of controls. However, exactly how this will take place, and where, is still to be confirmed over the coming days.
I had a flight booked to UK for 22nd April, so that wont happen. But I've yet to hear anything from RyanAir about by refund that I tried to claim about 3 weeks ago.
Good luck with your plans and stay safe.

Holly West

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Good morning!

My daughter and I were supposed to go from IrĂșn on the 10th and we moved it to next year. I am afraid a lot of places will not be open yet.

LTfit

Veteran Member
i live in madrid have been home confined now for over five weeks.
chances are (sadly) that on May 19th most businesses and indeed borders will remain closed. the State of Alarm has been extended to May 9th, and only after then will the government (if all goes as planned regarding covid19) begin to ease business and movement restrictions.
i honestly believe that there is no chance until june for hotels, restaurants and cafés to reopen. i hope i'm wrong. furthermore, when things open again, and the government has stressed this, it will be different for each region/autonomous community, and as you know, the French Camino crosses several.

in any case, there are daily and weekly briefings that you can follow or check on any of teh major newspapers, such as ElPaĂ­s.com. good luck and buen camino when the time comes
You are quite optimistic thinking that hotels, restaurants and cafes may open even in June. I live in a small town on the Camino Frances and have an albergue and have no illusions of being able to open up in the coming months. As many have mentioned, May 9th is just the beginning of what most likely will be a LONG process. Social distancing etc. will require that many stores, restaurants, hotel and of course albergues make adjustments.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Good morning!

I know that this is a dream you want to realize as soon as you can. With such great uncertainty, you should wait. Why go and have the stress of a rebound, the camino possibly closing again and then the uncertainty of being able to return home. I was planning an October Camino. I have put it off until next year. I want to walk the VDLP. I am hoping to start at the end of February 2021 but I know that this may not be possible either. I am also looking at a possible late October start, or and I hope this is not a reality, February 2022. This is such a special moment for you. Err on the side of caution in these uncertain times. Buen Camino.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco(2017) Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(2019) CF
Hello,
I live in A Coruña. Things go week by week here in Spain. Our good news this week is that they are going to figure out a way to let kids be outside for a limited time starting the 27th, then after May 10 we will start a very slow march to a new normal. I don’t think my family in the USA truly understand just how restrictive our stay at home orders are....no one has gone out for anything but food, meds, pet care, or work for those that work... We are looking forward to the simple things like a solitary jog or walk in the fresh air. Tourism is very important to Spain and they will get back to it ASAP, but not at the risk of the health of the citizens. As everyone knows this is unprecedented so there is no text book to lead us out, just the best guess and the hope of learning for any repeat.
The one thing I have noticed is the burst of creativity spawned by the lock down. I leave you with a link to my daughters' you can find so much out there to pass the time!! We will all walk again!!
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

Not sure where your US family lives, but the USA is a big place...lol I, for one, understand and am living a very strict lockdown here in Massachusetts. Some parts of the country are not as strict, but if you're following the numbers, the northeast part of the US has fatalities greater than most of Europe. Our hospitals in Boston and New York City are overwhelmed. The ice rink in my city is now a morgue. It's best the world go slow...
Talented daughter :) Stay well

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
A Spanish friend share a comment today from a Galician Hospitalera that albergues will not reopen until 2021, I'm not sure about that and have seen comments that they will open but in a limited and restricted way.
I rebooked my flights yesterday from my cancelled Camino Geira, I have taken a chance for mid December this year, and if I have to will stay in Pensions and Hotels, but fully accept that this might be too optimistic and as some have suggested 2022 might be the earliest it is possible.

The Kolbist

Camino(s) past & future
past: Frances, inland Portuguese, Fatima
future: Del Norte, coastal Porugues, Englis
Imo, normalcy will not be back until a vaccine has been distributed well into the general populace. The testing phase may take a year and then another year to mass produce and then it is distributed. So it might take another 2 years, before a sign of normalcy could be observed. However, i dont know how people would be able to survive without jobs. Can the governments be able to shoulder the basic needs of shelter and food? Productivity will be severely affected. How would the supply chain be affected when it comes to maintaining the healthcare systems of the world? God bless us all!

Guy Strachan

Alba Guido
Camino(s) past & future
Frances ('13/'14), Portugues ('15), Finisterre ('16/'19); Ingles ('17); Sanabres ('18); Invierno '20
Good morning!

Hi Lisa,
You’re obviously an optimist but taking the practical & sensible approach the obvious answer is absolutely no chance.
I was due to start the Invierno on 2 May but have postponed it until next year.
The Camino will always be there so just chill, enjoy some more thinking and planning and go next year instead.
Buen Camino

jefferyonthecamino

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués (2015 - 2019)
de Madrid (2019)
Argentino/Inglés (2020)
You are quite optimistic thinking that hotels, restaurants and cafes may open even in June. I live in a small town on the Camino Frances and have an albergue and have no illusions of being able to open up in the coming months. As many have mentioned, May 9th is just the beginning of what most likely will be a LONG process. Social distancing etc. will require that many stores, restaurants, hotel and of course albergues make adjustments.
more like trying to be optimistic. i am very aware of the situation and follow religiously the daily briefings, and yes, you are absolutely right: last in line are the hotels, bars, restaurants, theatres etc. in my case, it's even worse as i live in madrid but work on the Camino, and we will be last in line to return to normal as we have suffered the most cases and deaths. so yeah, things aren't looking to good for june or even july.

than again, we all know that long term social distancing is impossible and that the vast majority of the albergues on the Camino will not be able to adapt to these requirements (less pilgrims per albergue, adapting sleeping and washing areas, etc). furthermore, i doubt most of the newer investments (cafes or albergues) can survive a long process. so either there is a miracle, and these do happen, usually thanks to science; or like SARS, COVID19 simply disappears, or the Camino will become a very different experience in the upcoming years (and i will be looking for another job).

so yes, i'm going to try and be optimistic, and pray for a miracle from some laboratory.

jefferyonthecamino

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués (2015 - 2019)
de Madrid (2019)
Argentino/Inglés (2020)
A Spanish friend share a comment today from a Galician Hospitalera that albergues will not reopen until 2021, I'm not sure about that and have seen comments that they will open but in a limited and restricted way.
I rebooked my flights yesterday from my cancelled Camino Geira, I have taken a chance for mid December this year, and if I have to will stay in Pensions and Hotels, but fully accept that this might be too optimistic and as some have suggested 2022 might be the earliest it is possible.
to the best of my knowledge, there has been no official decision (state or local) regarding the reopening of hotels or albergues. we don't even know yet what the cut off age will be to take our kids for walks yet, and that happens next weekend.

Holly Mitchem

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
One of my favorite songs! As a choral singer, I have seen quite a few of these virtual choral ensembles in the past five weeks, but never one with just one singer doing all the parts. Your daughter has a beautiful voice. Please send her my greetings and how much I appreciated it here in quarantine in Ojai, CA.

Buen camino,
MaryEllen

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
This article in Spanish says that there will be phased reopening of businesses, with those in the tourism industry to be the last to reopen, most likely not until the end of this year.

Here's an article in English

LTfit

Veteran Member
This article in Spanish says that there will be phased reopening of businesses, with those in the tourism industry to be the last to reopen, most likely not until the end of this year.

Here's an article in English

There are many articles circulating with regards to the two phased opening. To my knowledge, there has yet to be a formal announcement. In the Spanish articles words such as "contempla" or "plantea" are being used meaning that this is under discussion. It may very well materialize but is not yet the case. As others also living in Spain have mentioned, we are pretty much in the dark about how life will look like next week (for those with children) let alone in three weeks when some sort of lifting of restrictions will happen.

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Hi,

I live in Asturias, northern Spain. Even if it's impossible to secure something now, I think shops and other small businesses will probably open in May.

I think the two key questions are when the albergues will open and when the international borders will open.
I guess this can take quite a bit longer.

I plan to start a Camino as soon as possible, but my current forecast, being VERY optimistic, is August / September.

I think that in three weeks we may have more accurate information.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi,

I live in Asturias, northern Spain. Even if it's impossible to secure something now, I think shops and other small businesses will probably open in May.

I think the two key questions are when the albergues will open and when the international borders will open.
I guess this can take quite a bit longer.

I plan to start a Camino as soon as possible, but my current forecast, being VERY optimistic, is August / September.

I think that in three weeks we may have more accurate information.
And you guys in Asturias may be ahead of other autonomous regions which have been harder hit. I don't see Madrid, Barcelona or even my region LeĂłn being open anytime soon but we can always hope!

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
I also have in mind to start a second Camino in late November to arrive in Santiago for the opening ceremony of the Holy Year ... I hope all this nightmare is over by then!

As I was writing this, it occurred to me that it could be a good idea to open a thread about pilgrims who plan to do this Camino (SJPdP - Santiago arriving in Santiago on December 30).

Taking into account the dates for this Camino (from the end of November to the beginning of January) and the current circumstances, this will probably be a quite lonely Camino, taking us back to the Camino of many years ago.

Last edited:

Mark Day

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago planned for end April 2020 now 2021
As disappointing as it will be, especially after planning for three years, my guess is that your trip will have to wait. I had to cancel a grad trip for me and my kids to Europe in May so we will now go next May. I am of the belief that it will be months before anything will be back to normal, especially in those countries hardest hit, including Spain. Here in Canada, our leadership anticipates possibly months more of self-isolation. I think any country that lifts these rules now are doing it too soon. But I am no expert and this is just my opinion.

BUT, you WILL have your Camino some day! It's been there for over 1,000 years and it will still be there after all this is over. In the meantime, enjoy motherhood, watch all the Camino YouTube videos and have fun planning it!

Buen (future) Camino!
Would have been due to leave for St Jean next week. It's now been reset to April next year. Another year of anticipation.....

D

Deleted member 67185

I think this is a key quote:
"Diaz has made it clear that the final decision on the return to the activity corresponds to the Ministry of Health, who will decide these issues when the situation regarding COVID-19 is under control and does not exert a risk of further contagion."

News and media can only report facts which are in existence. If one thinks about how many times policy information from COVID-19 has changed since March, it is not too difficult to imagine that this news article's information could also change in another month or two. . . either to a different timeline for opening up tourism, or to further confirm the current estimates.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Read this:

I have reported this post. Maybe it's just me, living here in Spain, but this article and one in the tabloid Sun are making their rounds on Camino Facebook pages.

There has been NO OFFICIAL decision made. If you read the Spanish versions the words "contempla" and "propone" are being used. This idea is on the table, nothing more.
It may well materialize (I sure hope not!) but is, at this point, incorrect.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)

Pcav182

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Norte
I am here in Pamplona and it has been a month and half since I have left my apartment, apart from the grocery store once a week. Under the current measures, I would get a severe fine if I were stopped by police. And this is definitely being enforced, as I have been stopped by the police on the way to the store. Spain has some of the strictest measures in the world. The government was explaining yesterday that the de-escalation of these measures are going to be very slow. I don’t even expect to be able to go outside for exercise until at least May 9, the end of the next extension in the state of alarm. So in this context I don’t expect things to go back to normal anytime soon.

Vancouver Islander

Camino(s) past & future
Fingers Crossed - April (2020)
I was to leave today for my first Camino from Canada but will instead try to stay healthy for the next two years and hopefully be able to do it in 2022. I get angry when I see people here not complying with the directives and being careless and endangering people's lives. I think this is the new normal for some time to come. Thank you for these updates from Spain.

Damico Walking

Ready, and waiting, to walk
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal route May 2020 (not to be)
Portuguese coastal route TBD post COVID-19
My flight was scheduled to leave the USA on May 17 but has been cancelled by the airline. Having followed many of the threads and the news from Spain and Portugal I sincerely doubt any flights from the USA will be allowed in May but I could be wrong. I would love to try it in September but again doubt that will happen. We are currently looking toward early May 2021 to begin and are hoping to get in before the thundering herd in June/July for the holy period. Watching for vaccine development and/or requirements from other countries. Like everyone else I remain hopeful and yearn to walk.

Lisa G

Camino(s) past & future
I have reported this post. Maybe it's just me, living here in Spain, but this article and one in the tabloid Sun are making their rounds on Camino Facebook pages.

There has been NO OFFICIAL decision made. If you read the Spanish versions the words "contempla" and "propone" are being used. This idea is on the table, nothing more.
It may well materialize (I sure hope not!) but is, at this point, incorrect.
Thank you!! I thought the same thing when I opened it, but my Spanish is weak😂. Stay safe and well!!

DwainS

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances(2020)
Just watching BBC world news at this moment and there saying this fall could be the worst. Right now the Coronavirus is hitting when our regular flu season is ending so mainly just have to worry about Coronavirus. The second wave of Coronavirus will come when our regular flu season starts this fall so it will be a double wammy. Regular flu and coronavirus at the same time. I have been planning my trip since last fall to start this September but resigned that its not going to happen. Spent 1000.00 on gear for my trip thats not going to happen but not feeling sorry for myself when so many other people are suffering. I will get there eventually. Right now stay safe, Buen camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
I live in Florida and this is day 40 for my wife and I self Isolating in our home. I have been out twice to get food and milk. That is all. I cannot imagine the Camino opening this year as there will be so many businesses damaged by this and some will never come back. It is so sad and when it does come back, it will not be the same Camino we once knew.......

Tony Lenton

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles (2018)
Camino Frances ( from Ponferrada 2019)

Buen (future) Camino!
I should have been completing my Camino in the next week or so. Initially I was imagining postponing it until September but as the crisis progresses I wonder whether it will ever take place. I’m 68 so time isn’t on my side but there are so many imponderables. Will reasonably priced flights be available, will Albergues have gone bust and how keen will Spain be to welcome an influx of tourists living communally? It’s very hard to imagine a post Covid world as, without an effective vaccine, and that is far from certain, caution will be the primary consideration. The very thought, though, of sitting in a bar, satisfyingly tired, drinking a few beers with fellow pilgrims is an intoxicating prospect to keep hold of.

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Frances from Saria
2018 Finnisterre & Ingles
2019 Portuguese from Valenca
2020 Assisi(cancel.)
Hi Lisa G, the situation is changing here each week, and so things are still uncertain. I've shared a link to a video update on YouTube by an Australian called Stuart who lives in Madrid, which is also where I live. His regular updates are a great way to see and hear all the latest reported information which he presents in a non-partial, balanced way. The one here is his latest one.
To be honest, the 19th of May is probably still likely to have various restrictions in place, but a lot depends on what happens over the next 2 to 3 weeks as they begin a de-escalation of controls. However, exactly how this will take place, and where, is still to be confirmed over the coming days.
I had a flight booked to UK for 22nd April, so that wont happen. But I've yet to hear anything from RyanAir about by refund that I tried to claim about 3 weeks ago.
Good luck with your plans and stay safe.

Good luck on refunds, especially in the U.S., I cancelled a number of trips this winter including one to Italy. No refunds from any U.S. airline or hotel, just credits. Most Italian hotels refunded, but not all. Unfortunately, Travel needs change from year to year, so some credits will be lost.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 03,04
88 Temples16
Port. 17
LePuy, Norte, Prim 18
Ingles 18
Jakobova, Arles, Aragon,Baztan 19
Forget this year. The Camino season is over.

don't think there is any proof of that. I think religious pilgrimages to honour San Tiago can still happen in 2020, but people will have to be self reliant. I actually can't believe some people want to go back to staying in dorms with 23 of their new closest friends.....

mikebet

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Pamplona (2016); Baiona to Santiago (2018); Sarria to Santiago (2018)
Wow, I feel whipsawed reading those articles from Spain: 1) no hope for this year; and then 2) well, maybe. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Black Panther leader Eldridge Cleaver once said," You are either part of the solution or part of the problem." Let us hopeful pilgrims not fall into the latter category and indulge in premature ambulation.

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
How can anyone guess that? We are all living day to day in this pandemic. Watch the news, you'll get accurate info there. Why are people so eager to travel and get going asap. I don't get it. Even if restrictions are lifted by the time of your flight, Spain has been so badly affected. Can't they be given the chance to recoupoerate.
Recuperating means many things. Camino businesses are struggling to survive and this screenshot from an AlbergueScreenshot_20200425-070858.pngScreenshot_20200425-070858.png shows how they are looking forward to the returning pilgrims.

anthikes

Camino(s) past & future
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
I don't agree with the people who say forget 2020! No one knows what will happen and it's pure speculation to say Spain will not open to tourists this year.

I am only following official announcements directly from the Government and ignoring newspapers.

I am in Portugal and things look set to open here soon as they are keen to attract tourists back for the summer. I will be continuing my hike along the Ruta Vicentina as soon as I am allowed.

Lets all hope things get back to normal for Spain as soon as possible. Must be awful to be locked down there, not even allowed exercise!

The businesses along the caminos will really appreciate you, so I hope that some people will not be scared away by all the misinformation and negativity if things open this year.

Tazz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances/Finisterre 2016/5
San Salvador/Primitivo 2017/5
Frances/Finisterre 2018/5
Tomar/SDC (2019)
I know your predicament is disappointing and depressing especially after 3 years of planning.
Have you considered this year doing longer distance walk closer to home (When safety permits)

Here in Ontario we have the Bruce Trail and the TransCanada trail to mention only few.
I notice, you are from Missouri. The "Alltrails" website shows a 78 mile long trail in your state. That's 125kms, or longer than walking from Sarria to SDC.
My wife or children sometimes drop me off and pick me up at different segments of long distance walking paths near my home.
Local Walks may not be as mysterious but can be quite fun and enlighten one to things they never knew were so close to home.

Once again this is something to consider only when safety permits.

J. Tazzeo

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
I don't agree with the people who say forget 2020! No one knows what will happen and it's pure speculation to say Spain will not open to tourists this year.

I am only following official announcements directly from the Government and ignoring newspapers.

I am in Portugal and things look set to open here soon as they are keen to attract tourists back for the summer. I will be continuing my hike along the Ruta Vicentina as soon as I am allowed.

Lets all hope things get back to normal for Spain as soon as possible. Must be awful to be locked down there, not even allowed exercise!

The businesses along the caminos will really appreciate you, so I hope that some people will not be scared away by all the misinformation and negativity if things open this year.
The Greek government has announced that some tourist accommodation will open from 15th June and all hotels will be allowed to open from 29th June but with reduced capacity.
All travel restrictions on the mainland will be lifted on 4th May but travel to the islands will still be restricted.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
My suspicion is anyone from the US will be required to produce proof of vaccination to travel to France or Spain. It is at least a year away until a vaccine has been thoroughly tested and is available to the general public. Even then, would you be comfortable boarding a plane for 8 hours without knowing that all of your fellow passengers have been inoculated? Come on now, lets get real.

ShaLaw

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Sept./Oct. 2015. Future Camino Portuguese in 2022.
I know your predicament is disappointing and depressing especially after 3 years of planning.
Have you considered this year doing longer distance walk closer to home (When safety permits)

Here in Ontario we have the Bruce Trail and the TransCanada trail to mention only few.
I notice, you are from Missouri. The "Alltrails" website shows a 78 mile long trail in your state. That's 125kms, or longer than walking from Sarria to SDC.
My wife or children sometimes drop me off and pick me up at different segments of long distance walking paths near my home.
Local Walks may not be as mysterious but can be quite fun and enlighten one to things they never knew were so close to home.

Once again this is something to consider only when safety permits.

J. Tazzeo
Hi Tazz! I am in Newmarket and seldom think to hike the Bruce Trail, but definitely will when we’re able to get back out there. I probably should have trained on it prior to my 2015 Camino and will before doing the Portuguese route, hopefully in 2022. Thanks for the reminder that we’re so fortunate to have this amazing trail in our backyard! Stay safe!

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Good luck on refunds, especially in the U.S., I cancelled a number of trips this winter including one to Italy. No refunds from any U.S. airline or hotel, just credits.
Did the airlines cancel the flights? If so you are due a full refund by law. If you cancelled, then you may be lucky to have received a credit if the original ticket was non-refundable.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2016), Norte (2017), Portuges (2018), Mozarabe (2019), Primitivo (2019), Via de La Plata (2
Good morning!

Hi there - congrats on the wee one. I live in the Sierra de Aracena, about 30 km west of the Via de La Plata and run a B&B with my wife. Everything here is on hard lockdown. As you will have seen the current extension is to 9 May but it is far from clear that any marked relaxation of rules will start even then. If it does then the first steps will be internal. Realistically it must be very unlikely that normal international air traffic will return in 2020. Sorry to hit you with this view but I (I am usually an optimist) truly believe it. Buen Camino in 2021.

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and VĂ©zelay, also Le Puy.
My suspicion is anyone from the US will be required to produce proof of vaccination to travel to France or Spain. It is at least a year away until a vaccine has been thoroughly tested and is available to the general public. Even then, would you be comfortable boarding a plane for 8 hours without knowing that all of your fellow passengers have been inoculated? Come on now, lets get real.
So, let me get this straight. You are traveling FROM a country with the virus and going TO a country with the same virus. Apart from the eight hours on the aircraft, where there MIGHT be people from a third, uninfected country (assuming there is one) what is different between the two countries? Come on now, let's get real. It's worldwide. It is out of the box. That's why it's called a pandemic.
How about we wait and see what travel restrictions are still in force in a couple of months? Or at least get the crystal ball serviced.

arch

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte from Irun to Santander, Primitivo from Oviedo to Frances to Santiago September 2016
Good morning!

Can't imagine staying in albergue where many might be asymptomatic carriers. This pandemic is going to take a long time to resolve.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
The province of New Brunswick (Canada) has had no new cases in a week, so they are going to slightly loosen the lock down. A household group may choose another household group (who must also choose them) to form a two family ‘bubble’. Visits, playdates, hugs and contact are allowed within the bubble. Choose wisely.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Norte and Frances Sept 6 - Oct 11, 2016
Good morning!

The last I heard from a Spanish newspaper is Christmas.

Damico Walking

Ready, and waiting, to walk
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal route May 2020 (not to be)
Portuguese coastal route TBD post COVID-19
Good luck on refunds, especially in the U.S., I cancelled a number of trips this winter including one to Italy. No refunds from any U.S. airline or hotel, just credits. Most Italian hotels refunded, but not all. Unfortunately, Travel needs change from year to year, so some credits will be lost.
The rule here in the USA is if the airline cancels the flight they must give you a refund. I waited until my flight was cancelled, just last week, and after notice from the airline that it was cancelled I called them and requested a refund. The easily obliged and the money was back in my account the next day. But if you cancel then the rules are different and they are not obliged to provide cash refund.

Hope this helps.

Camino(s) past & future
frances 1998, 2000, 2013
The real situation in Spain is much worse than what is said in the official information media. There are no tests, and the few there are do not give more than 80% guarantee. There is no control of the disease, the only control is to keep us locked inside the houses, we have the highest number of dead and sick in the world for every 100,000 inhabitants, it is not by chance, it is because there are no measures or control. The economic ruin is already evident, the number of small companies and businesses that have closed definitely is terrible.
On the Camino de Santiago, possibly many private hostels will have to close, because the expenses of the banks, national and local taxes, plus quarterly taxes, everything is still demanded every month although we cannot pay them. It is known that it is almost certain until next year that tourist activities will not be allowed, so the Camino will not open. Thousands of small hotels and some large hotel chains on the coast are going to have to close permanently. They simply cannot pay their employees, and they have to pay or close.

But you will be able to do it in 2021, the municipal albergues will all be open, but the private albergues will suffer a lot, especially those who have made efforts to have comfortable facilities for pilgrims, and there are enough in recent years that we have invested to offer quality. We specifically may have to close the albergue and return to Holland, without a hostel, without a future and without money, bad luck, but many others have lost their lives, that is much worse.
To know a little about what is happening in Spain, the only medium is the internet, and one of the best is www.libertatdigital.com, it is one of the few independent ones.
I am sorry that I am unable to deliver any optimistic and positive messages, I have answered a serious question with an honest answer.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
frances 1998, 2000, 2013
There is a major difference between the two countries. The USA, because of its political structure (States with the power to decide for themselves) doesn't have the ability to control the next stage after lockdown in a consistent manner across the country.

This means that and we are witnessing it already, that some States will be Laissez-faire with little or no attempt to Test,test,test, track and trace (the only way to keep the curve flat after lockdown) while other States will attempt Test,Track and Trace.

However, because (and unless) States won't (or can't) close State borders then the control attempts by the States that want to keep the curve flat will be undone by free movement from States that are not attempting control.

This means that, the whole of the country will see wave after wave of infections as the virus circulates through the community.

This, in turn, means that other countries, such as Spain, Portugal and France who will attempt the 3 T's to keep their curve flat will be forced to close their border to anyone with a USA passport or traveling directly from the USA.
You have described exactly what happens in countries in Europe, and this is a health reality, not a political one.
Germany and Portugal have done very well, and the number of deceased is very low in those countries, in Spain and in Italy it is very high, and we do not carry out sufficient tests nor do we know the actual number of sick people or even the dead, for which is very logical that Portugal does not want to have Spanish tourists when they can move freely or the Germans do the same with their Italian neighbors.
This is not a political response, it is only to describe what Europe is at the moment and it is something that Canadian or Australian Americans cannot know, and even less if they read the official news from Spain, and it is necessary to know it to imagine the future.
It is said that in wars, the first victim is always the truth, and in this pandemic the same thing happens.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
The real situation in Spain is much worse than what is said in the official information media. There are no tests, and the few there are do not give more than 80% guarantee. There is no control of the disease, the only control is to keep us locked inside the houses, we have the highest number of dead and sick in the world for every 100,000 inhabitants, it is not by chance, it is because there are no measures or control. The economic ruin is already evident, the number of small companies and businesses that have closed definitely is terrible.
On the Camino de Santiago, possibly many private hostels will have to close, because the expenses of the banks, national and local taxes, plus quarterly taxes, everything is still demanded every month although we cannot pay them. It is known that it is almost certain until next year that tourist activities will not be allowed, so the Camino will not open. Thousands of small hotels and some large hotel chains on the coast are going to have to close permanently. They simply cannot pay their employees, and they have to pay or close.

But you will be able to do it in 2021, the municipal shelters will all be open, but the private shelters will suffer a lot, especially those who have made efforts to have comfortable facilities for pilgrims, and there are enough in recent years that we have invested to offer quality. We specifically may have to close the hostel and return to Holland, without a hostel, without a future and without money, bad luck, but many others have lost their lives, that is much worse.
To know a little about what is happening in Spain, the only medium is the internet, and one of the best is www.libertatdigital.c om, it is one of the few independent ones.
I am sorry that I am unable to deliver any optimistic and positive messages, I have answered a serious question with an honest answer.
@gmag
Some camino members are donating funds to try to keep some camino businesses open, including albergues. If you would like your business to be assisted in this way, you can apply through Ivar. The information is given at the top of each page Ivar will supply information as to how to apply. Some have opened a GoFundMe account, but if you read the information about the various requests made you will see that not all are through GoFundMe. If you are still wish to keep your albergue open, this may be one possibility that you may not yet have tried. Good luck.

ginniek

Camino(s) past & future
frances 2017
don't think there is any proof of that. I think religious pilgrimages to honour San Tiago can still happen in 2020, but people will have to be self reliant. I actually can't believe some people want to go back to staying in dorms with 23 of their new closest friends.....
I'm sure various relevant officials are aware of what has happened in those massive military albergues in the US, known as recruit barracks. I live near US Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, and know people in management there. There has been a significant outbreak (that has been kept quiet for "security" reasons) among recruits, drill instructors, etc. Numbers are not being released, but... Likely similar things have happened in the Eurozone, and new standards for occupants/room, etc. are very likely to result.

Flyingbronco

Camino(s) past & future
Hi there - congrats on the wee one. I live in the Sierra de Aracena, about 30 km west of the Via de La Plata and run a B&B with my wife. Everything here is on hard lockdown. As you will have seen the current extension is to 9 May but it is far from clear that any marked relaxation of rules will start even then. If it does then the first steps will be internal. Realistically it must be very unlikely that normal international air traffic will return in 2020. Sorry to hit you with this view but I (I am usually an optimist) truly believe it. Buen Camino in 2021.
more like trying to be optimistic. i am very aware of the situation and follow religiously the daily briefings, and yes, you are absolutely right: last in line are the hotels, bars, restaurants, theatres etc. in my case, it's even worse as i live in madrid but work on the Camino, and we will be last in line to return to normal as we have suffered the most cases and deaths. so yeah, things aren't looking to good for june or even july.

than again, we all know that long term social distancing is impossible and that the vast majority of the albergues on the Camino will not be able to adapt to these requirements (less pilgrims per albergue, adapting sleeping and washing areas, etc). furthermore, i doubt most of the newer investments (cafes or albergues) can survive a long process. so either there is a miracle, and these do happen, usually thanks to science; or like SARS, COVID19 simply disappears, or the Camino will become a very different experience in the upcoming years (and i will be looking for another job).

so yes, i'm going to try and be optimistic, and pray for a miracle from some laboratory.
As for me, I cry for Spain and will pray to St James

Tony Bobcat

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017
I am not in Spain, but I follow the local press on a regular basis (I have many friends there...). As you know, the country has been struck very badly by the disease. Last news (from "El Pais" newspaper) : the government will extend the "emergency situation" (that means restricting most activities, keeping personal confinement, etc) until May 9. After that restrictions will be gradually lifted, with the distinct possibility of backtracking in the case that conditions worsen again. President Sanchez has said that he could not even guarantee if there will be normal summer vacations on Spanish beaches.
The only problem we have in Australia is that travel restrictions will be in for a while, we will have to delay our Camino till next year.

KathrineRoss

Camino(s) past & future
(June 2020)
My dream Camino was also scheduled this year for June, I have cancelled until June next year 2021; I’m in ‘essential services’ so hoping to get the vaccine by then; & can’t wait to support those local businesses on the trail đŸ„°

Lisa G

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you!! I wish you, your family, and your business continued health and peace. May God bless you and all of Spain💕

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances sept-oct 2018
(Via Tolosana Sept 2020 - alas! deferred)

But you will be able to do it in 2021, the municipal albergues will all be open, but the private albergues will suffer a lot, especially those who have made efforts to have comfortable facilities for pilgrims, and there are enough in recent years that we have invested to offer quality. We specifically may have to close the albergue and return to Holland, without a hostel, without a future and without money, bad luck, but many others have lost their lives, that is much worse.
To know a little about what is happening in Spain, the only medium is the internet, and one of the best is www.libertatdigital.com, it is one of the few independent ones.
😔

Camino(s) past & future
2 Camino Frances, next: April 2020 Primitivo
Using Google Chrome, the message is a lost year - that tourism will not return until the beginning of 2021.
Here in Finland our news also tell that about Spain: that the travelling services will be closed until the end of this year. I would have been in Santiago now, today, after finishing Camino ingles. Maybe next year, or the next...

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015, 2017, 2019) and plans for 2021 (Sept, Oct)
Our home city is Indianapolis, the global headquarters of Eli Lilly and Company. I retired from Lilly 5 years ago, having spent my entire career there. As a community service, they are testing first responders and health professionals for COVID-19. Then they announced a clinical trial to test for Asymptomatic carriers of the virus. After calling every day for a week, I was able to register for the trial, then went in for the test. This was very well organized with many safety precautions. The test was uncomfortable - a long swab through the nostril, until it touched the back of my throat, then it was twisted to ensure the bacteria was collected. I was glad it was done, but then the technician said she needed to do the same through the other nostril. Two days later the results were available - mine were negative. Great news! That said, my wife and I are staying at home, not even visiting our new granddaughter who lives with our son and his wife 5 minutes away, or spending time with my 87 year old mother in law. While my wife and I are relieved we are not infected or carriers, we have lost hope to hike our 4th Camino Frances beginning mid-Sept. Bob

LTfit

Veteran Member
The last I heard from a Spanish newspaper is Christmas.
It's advisable to site an article with link when making statements of this nature as what you state is incorrect (I'm in Spain).

There were several articles circulating with this information. The minister in question had to retract her statement as she had no authority to do so. PM SĂĄnchez has made made no decision in this regard. We don't even know what will happen after May 9th (end of the third lockdown extension) let alone in December.

RENSHAW

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks every year on CF reaching Burgos or Leon. Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
Travel seems to be a major cause of the reintroduction of the virus. After the huge loss of life in Spain , I doubt whether one will be able to fly in with ease as in the past. Perhaps swabs and a test may become mandatory before travel? Spain relies on the 80 million+ visitors per year - our best bet is if a vaccine can be developed. Gee do I miss Spain , the Camino and it's People.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I guess maybe I was asleep at the wheel, but this entire thread is really nothing more than speculation, educated guesses (some more than others), hopes, crystal ball gazing, etc. And as some have noted, we have always tried to stop those speculations because they really take us nowhere.

Time to close this thread and ask people with factual covid information to post to head over to Round 6

Please pay careful attention to the caution expressed in the first post of that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 157 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock