• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone interested in walking from Almería? May 2016

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi everyone,
Now that I have had a chance to look at Kevin's walking guide, I am very tempted to walk the Camino Mozárabe from Almería, through Granada, then to Mérida and onward to Santiago. This is, according to one estimate, 1370 km. I am planning to retire in May 2016, so this would be a celebratory camino. I am still not certain whether I will get all the way to Santiago or whether family commitments will keep me at a 6 week limit as it did this year. But in any event, is there anyone else out there who is tempted and possibly interested in walking from about May 18?

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I do have some interest, but should get this year's Camino started first! I'm in Bayonne now. I was thinking about earlier in the spring but realize that wouldn't work for you in 2016. I like the idea of a loose alliance with someone for that route, and am open to not getting all the way to Santiago. I would like to stay in Granada a day or two and not rush any of it, particularly if it is hot. Keep me in mind as your plans develop.

Hi Laurie, I also have some interest but can’t do May! (I have finally got a place on the Fish River Canyon Hike in Namibia, which has been at the top of my bucket list for the last 10 years.) And I also need to get this year’s Camino started first! (Leaving home tomorrow, then pretty much offline while on camino.) But I’ll check in every now and then to see how your plans are progressing. Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone,
Now that I have had a chance to look at Kevin's walking guide, I am very tempted to walk the Camino Mozárabe from Almería, through Granada, then to Mérida and onward to Santiago. This is, according to one estimate, 1370 km. I am planning to retire in May 2016, so this would be a celebratory camino. I am still not certain whether I will get all the way to Santiago or whether family commitments will keep me at a 6 week limit as it did this year. But in any event, is there anyone else out there who is tempted and possibly interested in walking from about May 18?

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie:

Thanks to your posting it, I have now also looked at Kevin's guide from Almeria to Granada. I am formulating a trip involving the Camino Mozarabe, Via de la Plata and Camino Sanabres in 2016 - but am hoping to coordinate the start to celebrate at least part of Semana Santa in Seville (March 20-27). After that I am thinking of going to Almeria and starting from there. I would love to have company, but unfortunately reckon you will have to bring forward your retirement (I am retired already) to accommodate my dates. I also have time constraints because my wife imposes a 6-week limit on my "mad walks" without her!! So I don't think I will make it all the way to Santiago. Let me know if you decide to retire early :)

Hi Laurie:

Thanks to your posting it, I have now also looked at Kevin's guide from Almeria to Granada. I am formulating a trip involving the Camino Mozarabe, Via de la Plata and Camino Sanabres in 2016 - but am hoping to coordinate the start to celebrate at least part of Semana Santa in Seville (March 20-27). After that I am thinking of going to Almeria and starting from there. I would love to have company, but unfortunately reckon you will have to bring forward your retirement (I am retired already) to accommodate my dates. I also have time constraints because my wife imposes a 6-week limit on my "mad walks" without her!! So I don't think I will make it all the way to Santiago. Let me know if you decide to retire early :)

Hi, Geoff,
Well, I've decided that since I can't start till May 18 or 19, the Mozárabe from Almería could be too hot for me. So I'm going to start a bit north, at the mouth of the Ebro and walk the Ruta del Ebro/Castellano-Aragonés-Lana into Burgos. But at the very top of my Camino 2017 list is an early May start from Almería on the Mozárabe. Have you worked out your plans yet? Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,
Well 2016 is just around the corner, bought my tickets for 2016 walk so I may have more question re the Camino de levante coming after Christmas already so excited.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Geoff,
Well, I've decided that since I can't start till May 18 or 19, the Mozárabe from Almería could be too hot for me. So I'm going to start a bit north, at the mouth of the Ebro and walk the Ruta del Ebro/Castellano-Aragonés-Lana into Burgos. But at the very top of my Camino 2017 list is an early May start from Almería on the Mozárabe. Have you worked out your plans yet? Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie

I am too busy in Spain this year to do any long walks, but if you were looking for a companion in 2017 I would be available!
1300 km sounds like a nice round figure to me. My only problem would be that I work each year until the end of April, and it may take a week or so for me to hit peak fitness.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm seriously thinking early May 2017 and am hoping that someone will start with me. You're going this year, aren't you, Al? I'm looking forward to hearing about it.
Jacki.

I'm thinking about this one for next autumn.

Has anybody come across a variant that leaves the main Mozárabe at Campaniero, a couple of days short of Mérida, and instead continues north to Guadalupe? It's about 3 days from Campaniero, passing through some fairly empty-looking countryside.

From Guadalupe it should be relatively straightforward to follow the "camino visigodo" back to the VdlP at Alcuéscar, not forgetting to call in at lovely, serene Santa Lucía del Trampal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Staring from Almeria on May 5th 2016. Guess we will all miss each other!
Hi Al
How is your prep going?
Missing your usual pre Camino excitement.
I keep looking at these threads to 'walk in spirit'. I have some travel to family in first half of this year (off caminos, sad, but good too) however always intending to get back! Retirement looming for me in early 2nd half of this year so big smiles there!
Do you plan to spend a little time pre walk anywhere this time or get right to it?
Buen Camino Al
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm thinking about this one for next autumn.

Has anybody come across a variant that leaves the main Mozárabe at Campaniero, a couple of days short of Mérida, and instead continues north to Guadalupe? It's about 3 days from Campaniero, passing through some fairly empty-looking countryside.

From Guadalupe it should be relatively straightforward to follow the "camino visigodo" back to the VdlP at Alcuéscar, not forgetting to call in at lovely, serene Santa Lucía del Trampal.

This is great, Alan, I can follow in your footsteps again! I hope to walk from Almeria in 2017, but first I have to make it from Riumar this May. Buen camino, Laurie

P.s. And yes, I agree that Santa Lucía del Trampal is a very lovely place. I would walk more than a few kms to go back.

Hi Al
How is your prep going?
Missing your usual pre Camino excitement.
I keep looking at these threads to 'walk in spirit'. I have some travel to family in first half of this year (off caminos, sad, but good too) however always intending to get back! Retirement looming for me in early 2nd half of this year so big smiles there!
Do you plan to spend a little time pre walk anywhere this time or get right to it?
Buen Camino Al
Annie

Well I don't do any prep really these days. I don't have the pleasure of agonising about what to buy or what to take any more. It all just sits there waiting for me to add clean clothes and go. Now I just decide where I am going, look at the guides, decide on the duration and dates needed and then book flights. That having been done before Christmas it is an interminably long wait! :(:(:(:(:( and my PC reminds me how many days left every morning.

I hope your retirement is as full of joy and freedom as mine and that of some of our forum buddies. I think that it's mindset adds favourably to the Camino experience. As I didn't walk my first one until a few years after retirement I wouldn't know. Perhaps afterwards you can tell us? Enjoy your last months at work and then just let it all go! (It takes a while to get used to). In 2013 I walked with a Canadian who had just retired from their navy and was using his Camino as a way of finding his way forward. Over the 2 weeks we walked together I could see the change in him as he discovered his way forward. I wonder how his Camino would be if he walked again.

Well I don't do any prep really these days. I don't have the pleasure of agonising about what to buy or what to take any more. It all just sits there waiting for me to add clean clothes and go. Now I just decide where I am going, look at the guides, decide on the duration and dates needed and then book flights. That having been done before Christmas it is an interminably long wait! :(:(:(:(:( and my PC reminds me how many days left every morning.

I hope your retirement is as full of joy and freedom as mine and that of some of our forum buddies. I think that it's mindset adds favourably to the Camino experience. As I didn't walk my first one until a few years after retirement I wouldn't know. Perhaps afterwards you can tell us? Enjoy your last months at work and then just let it all go! (It takes a while to get used to). In 2013 I walked with a Canadian who had just retired from their navy and was using his Camino as a way of finding his way forward. Over the 2 weeks we walked together I could see the change in him as he discovered his way forward. I wonder how his Camino would be if he walked again.
Hi Al.
I knew you'd have everything ready re bag etc. You've done this once or twice before!
I was thinking of how you were feeling about this Camino. Whether you are heading out alone or not ; and whether you will take it as it comes daily, have you decided on your stops, rests, days to walk etc. I suppose if you haven't got commitment to get back to work - you can call your own tune regarding how long you take.
I'm thinking on which route to walk in the spring of 2017. (The VDLP or Mozarabe)
Thank you for your confirmation about retirement and caminos being great partners .
Thank you again for your on line support for my Camino Del Salvador last year.

Wishing you a fit strong walk Al and I hope you meet some happy amigos along the way and you have happy feet. Not really long to wait now.
Buen Camino
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the kind words. You know how it is as a (not quite) old hand yourself. :)
I always start with just me and big G but take and enjoy company as it comes and goes. I will also take each day as it comes and goes with only an overall Almeria, Astoga, Villavisiosa, Gijon, Oviedo, Santiago, Muxia, Finisterre, Santiago plan. However I hope to be in Gijon on a weekend as I want to spend it with my friends who live there. I don't have an endless agenda as I want to be back in Blighty for my Mom's birthday at the end of July. Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back