• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone interested in walking the Sureste in spring 2017 ?

Barbara06

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
This Camino seems quite lonely, but I really would like to walk it.
Is anyone interested in walking some part of it with me some time next spring ? :):)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m looking for my next camino which I will do in Apr/May 17. The Sureste or the Levante look to be favourite at the moment as it seems the Levante has the first 4 days on tarmac which sound boring. I’ll finalise my plans this winter.

I’m looking for my next camino which I will do in Apr/May 17. The Sureste or the Levante look to be favourite at the moment as it seems the Levante has the first 4 days on tarmac which sound boring. I’ll finalise my plans this winter.
Thanks for your answer Mikelan, I am not yet too sure of my dates but let's keep in touch..
If the 1st 4 days of the Levante is on Tarmac, then the Sureste must be better...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for your answer Mikelan, I am not yet too sure of my dates but let's keep in touch..
If the 1st 4 days of the Levante is on Tarmac, then the Sureste must be better...
Hi!
If I may suggest, here a way to avoid the tarmac on the Levante. A very lovely camino joining the Levante at Font de la Figuera.
Enjoy,
Jean-Marc

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry! my bad. In my hurry I forgot the link containing map, stages and all other necessary info on the proposed camino.
Here we go: http://www.xabiacamino.es/
Enjoy
Jean-Marc
Thanks, that's very useful link. Have you walked it, Jean-Marc?

With the winter temperatures in southern Spain that would make a perfect winter-one-week Camino (a bit over 120kms). If you want to keep daily stages below 30kms I counted 7 stages to La Font de la Figuera where it connects to Levante. The site wrongly stated that one stage further in Almansa it connects with Sureste but it's true about La Lana. Levante and Sureste connect in Albacete as I know.

Acommodation wouldn't be albergues every day but mostly Casas Rurales or Hotel/Hostales.

My preferred stages (distance and acommodation wise) would be:
1.) Xabia - Jesus Pobre (10,6) - short stage to allow some aclimatisation after Xabia night life ;)
2.) - Pego (21,5) - no albergue,
3.) - L'Orxa (26,0) - I saw that hotel in Villalonga (midway) offers 50% pilgrim discount and pick-up/drop-off service,
4.) - Albaida (24,8) - albergue,
5.) - Ontinyent (12,0) - albergue, short stage also because of bigger town where I would guess is something to do and see,
6.) - Fontanars (26,5) - Casa Rural,
7.) - La Font de la Figuera (10,0) - albergue, but I personally would use it only for shower and later take a bus in direction to Almansa (I already walked that stage on Levante) and further to either Alicante or Valencia (nearest airports).

@KinkyOne .
No I haven't walked yet. It's part of my plan for 2017 or 2018(too many to choose from).
Your plan looks perfect to me, especially the first stage. That's about the same as the schedule I had figured out.
I look forward to your comments if you walk it in a near future.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

@KinkyOne .
No I haven't walked yet. It's part of my plan for 2017 or 2018(too many to choose from).
Your plan looks perfect to me, especially the first stage. That's about the same as the schedule I had figured out.
I look forward to your comments if you walk it in a near future.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc
Haha, we'll see who would be there first to walk it... ;)
I have so many other plans but definitely put that one on my bucket list. From the photos it looks very tempting. Maybe someday it will deserve its own subforum, who knows?

Regards!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry! my bad. In my hurry I forgot the link containing map, stages and all other necessary info on the proposed camino.
Here we go: http://www.xabiacamino.es/
Enjoy
Jean-Marc

Hello Jean-Marc,
Your Proposed camino seems nice. You propose it to avoid the first days of tarmac on the Levante. I think it also joins the Sureste, is that right ? Do you think it also has advantages compared to the 1st days on the Sureste or not ?
Thanks
Barbara

Hello Jean-Marc,
Your Proposed camino seems nice. You propose it to avoid the first days of tarmac on the Levante. I think it also joins the Sureste, is that right ? Do you think it also has advantages compared to the 1st days on the Sureste or not ?
Thanks
Barbara
Hi, Barbara,
Proposed Camino de Alba connects with Levante in La Font de la Figuera which is less than 30kms before Almansa. You can walk then from Almansa and detour East to Alpera to connect with La Lana OR continue from Almansa approx.3-5 days (different acommodation and distance options) to Albacete where Sureste comes from the South. From Albacete to Minaya Sureste and Levante share the way and then separate.
Hope that explains.

Hello Jean-Marc,
Thanks
Barbara
Hi Barbara,
Kinky says it all in his answer to your question.
Concerning advantages on the Sureste, I don't think it applies except maybe for the possibility of shorter distances at the beginning.
Jean-Marc

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Sureste is still at the top of my list for next year but I’m struggling to get a good understanding of the available accommodation. Quality is not the problem for me just availability. Don’t really want to have to notify places a day or 2 before may arrive and my Spanish is rudimentary - just enough to ask for key things like food, wine and a bed! Most info I find seems to be quite dated.

Hello Mike,
There is some information in this forum in the Sureste part (bad pilgrim has written quite a lot of what he did in 2015). I have also found a little more just in searching in the internet. Also apparently there exists a guide..
For sure the Sureste will not be like the Frances,.. less secure, less sure, more unknown

Yes, I have read all of the posts on this forum and in particular Bad Pilgrims detailed info. However, it would appear that lots of the pilgrim accommodation is haphazard for its reliability and/or requires some notification beforehand. I prefer not to be overly constrained but do want to feel reasonably confident that there will be somewhere dry to stay at the end of the day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I have read all of the posts on this forum and in particular Bad Pilgrims detailed info. However, it would appear that lots of the pilgrim accommodation is haphazard for its reliability and/or requires some notification beforehand. I prefer not to be overly constrained but do want to feel reasonably confident that there will be somewhere dry to stay at the end of the day.

Hi,

Yes I always phoned one day ahead to be sure there would be accomodation, whether it was an albergue municipal or a hostel/hotel/polideportivo... But there was never a problem, always plenty of room at the end. Somtimes I had to make several calls until I found something though. I believe the accomodation will always be somewhat haphazard on these southern routes, at least until more pilgrims discover them.

I would also take the Sureste before the Levante for the first few stages, due to the asphalt, and as other people have told you there are quite a lot of possibilities to combine your own Camino here.

Take care!

/Bad Pilgrim

Hi,

Yes I always phoned one day ahead to be sure there would be accomodation, whether it was an albergue municipal or a hostel/hotel/polideportivo... But there was never a problem, always plenty of room at the end. Somtimes I had to make several calls until I found something though. I believe the accomodation will always be somewhat haphazard on these southern routes, at least until more pilgrims discover them.

I would also take the Sureste before the Levante for the first few stages, due to the asphalt, and as other people have told you there are quite a lot of possibilities to combine your own Camino here.

Take care!

/Bad Pilgrim

Thank-you for your answer bad pilgrim !! I read what you have written on this forum concerning this camino : so very interesting, complete and helpfull, thanks a lot

Thank-you for your answer bad pilgrim !! I read what you have written on this forum concerning this camino : so very interesting, complete and helpfull, thanks a lot

Tanks Barbara,

That's because I enjoyed writing it, it was great fun and a way of doing the Camino "a second time" - in my mind, writing it down. But that kind of info tends to get out of date as the years go by, so please make corrections when you go there yourself, or write your own account for us to read! It's just as fun reading others as writing one yourself...! :O)

/BP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This Camino seems quite lonely, but I really would like to walk it.
Is anyone interested in walking some part of it with me some time next spring ? :):)

Hola!

I would like to go on the Camino del Sureste in April and May.
Do you already have chosen the time when you intend to go?

J'ai just acheté le vol sur Alicante le 23 mai. Mon chemin s'arrete a el Toboso le 5 juin. Je suis en train voir le percours sur google earth.
Bonjour Gérémia et merci pour ta réponse. J'aimerais partir en mai, mais je ne sais pas encore si je pourrais (à cause de mon travail..). N'hésites pas à repasser par ici pour préciser ton parcours

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola!

I would like to go on the Camino del Sureste in April and May.
Do you already have chosen the time when you intend to go?

Hola Anunnaki, I am not yet sure when I will go, I would like to go in May but I am not yet sure if I will be able to liberate myself from my work. How long will you give yourself if you go ?

I have booked my flight! I arrive in Alicante 17 Apr and then doing a 4 day intensive Spanish course. I plan to start the camino on 22 Apr.

I have booked my flight! I arrive in Alicante 17 Apr and then doing a 4 day intensive Spanish course. I plan to start the camino on 22 Apr.
Hello Mike !! that sounds great !! a good idea to do a few days intensive Spanish course...
I will be leaving end of April, beginning May, so probably be following you about 10 days behind.
I will be going to Alicante by bus from my home, I havent' yet checked out the exact day.
Keep us updated... an buen camino !!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Barbara - I will probably run a ‘live’ commentary on here during the camino as I have done previously. Also on facebook.

Hi Mike, that's great, I will follow :)

Hello Barbara, Hello Mike,
My spring program.
April 5 to 20 "Rota Vicentina" round trip in southern Portugal.
23 May-June 6 from Alicante to Toboso
Buen camino a ustedes!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Barbara, Hello Mike,
My spring program.
April 5 to 20 "Rota Vicentina" round trip in southern Portugal.
23 May-June 6 from Alicante to Toboso
Buen camino a ustedes!
Hello Geremias,
What a nice spring program !!
I also want to walk on the Rota Vicentina,... it will be for another time...
We will probably not meet on Camino Sureste as I will be leaving beginning of May
Buen camino to you also !!

Fantastic! I will read your posts with interest. Spring will be wonderful.

/BP

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back