• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone know how to get into a doctors office for a visit?

m2m4christ

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
We are in Navarette just outside of Logrono. I’m walking with my two sons 23 and 18. The older one has asthma and got a cold which exacerbates his asthma. He brought inhalers with him and we have a small amount of mucinex with us but not enough. We went to the pharmacy today and they said we would need a RX to get Sudafed or similar or Spain’s version of mucinex. Apparently it’s ant the discretion of the pharmacist. Anyone know the process of making a doctors appt. I talked to someone in Najare who said there is a 24 hour hospital there. But we are trying to decide what to do. Will online doctors work in Spain? We are considering taking a taxi back to Logrono to rest for a few more days let him get well but wondering if there might be resources here in Navarette. There is a health center here but it’s Friday afternoon. And if I understood the message right I think it closes at 3. Just wondering if there is anyone on the ground here that might know the area and have recommendations. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The clerk recommended only homeopathic remedies that are OTC. A mint scented nasal spray and bronchialdialator of some sort that the active ingredient was menthol. He has a portable nebulizer at home with both Albeuterol and pulomocort but he didn’t bring it. Not thinking he would need it. He’s still very well controlled with his inhaler and he’s improving but if there was any way to get a nebulizer meds and some more support meds I would pay whatever it costs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also I always carry Sudafed with me when I travel but I took it out of my medical kit because of the pseudoephedrine and ephedrine laws. I didn’t want to even come close to causing a problem. Now I wish I would have left them in my kit.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are in Navarette just outside of Logrono. I’m walking with my two sons 23 and 18. The older one has asthma and got a cold which exacerbates his asthma. He brought inhalers with him and we have a small amount of mucinex with us but not enough. We went to the pharmacy today and they said we would need a RX to get Sudafed or similar or Spain’s version of mucinex. Apparently it’s ant the discretion of the pharmacist. Anyone know the process of making a doctors appt. I talked to someone in Najare who said there is a 24 hour hospital there. But we are trying to decide what to do. Will online doctors work in Spain? We are considering taking a taxi back to Logrono to rest for a few more days let him get well but wondering if there might be resources here in Navarette. There is a health center here but it’s Friday afternoon. And if I understood the message right I think it closes at 3. Just wondering if there is anyone on the ground here that might know the area and have recommendations. Thanks
Hola
In Spain you want to go to the "Centro de Salud" (Helath center).
In Navarette there is a Centro de Salud.

This is the link to the map:

Here are the information to the Centro de Salud:

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettingo

I reread your post and I think it maybe a good sollution to taxi it back to Logrono as it is a larger city in the area and it will have more options for you medically as well as hostel/hotel and things to do.

Maybe the Camino is telling you to take a couple of rest days and recharge the batteries

I never used an online doctor so I have no experience with that, but at the Centro de Salud you will get examined and recieve treatment or prescriptions from a doctor very fast.

It depends a little if you are from Europe or abroad, but regardless you can ask for a letter from the doctor with the cost and have it reimbursed by your insurance without any troubles.

That is my experience.
:)

Last edited:
Check out Neo Durasina which seems to be a Spanish branded version of Sudafed.

I’d try one or more other farmacia (the bigger the better) and -if they insist on a prescription, specifically ask for help in accessing a doctor.

You may have better options in Logroño.

Good luck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check the Navarrete health centre. According to the info on the website, they actually open at 3pm Mon-Fri.
Look for the 'urgencias' https://www.riojasalud.es/ciudadano...anitarios/centros-salud/rioja-media/navarrete
If they can't help your son there, at least they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Thank you so much for your support. We took him to the health clinic before they closed. The doctor listened to him and wrote prescriptions for an extra inhaler and some Mucinex type medicine. Got to the pharmacy and got all the e tea reinforcements. Thank you for your practical help. Exactly what I needed. Beyond grateful!

In most small places along the Camino, you'll find a "Centro de Salud", Navarette has one, any pharmacy can give you directions. There you generally just walk in during practicing hours.
Or google "médicos de familia en ...[location] and call for an appointment.

€83,-
Thank you so much for your support. We took him to the health clinic before they closed. The doctor listened to him and wrote prescriptions for an extra inhaler and some Mucinex type medicine. Got to the pharmacy and got all the e tea reinforcements. Thank you for your practical help. Exactly what I needed. Beyond grateful!
The Camino provides. Just ask.

And beware of regretting that you didn't bring something with you that you didn't think you'd need. You made the right decision for your circumstances.

Spain is a first world country and just about ANYTHING you need is available, as you found out. So don't smack your forehead and say, "If only I'd brought ________ . . . " That is an argument you will never win.

I'm very glad everything seems to be working out. Your son seems to be getting back to normal, you discovered the kindness of the health professionals in Spain. (Most of) The farmacias in Spain are great.

Don't go backwards, but consider taking an extra rest day in one of the towns coming up.

And, again, please don't feel badly about not having brought items.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Go to the Centro de Salut (Health Centre) they will be able to help you. I hope you get sorted. Buen Camino

In addition to the things others have written here, you might just try another pharmacy. Pharmacists can often give out things that are not available without a prescription in the U.S., so I'm surprised the one you spoke with said you'd need a prescription. They DO have quite a bit of discretion, and it might be easier to try another pharmacy than to mess around with going to clinic, etc.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That’s what we’ve found over and over again. Also they carry different medicines. We got a pseudoephedrine/ Tylenol combined med at the Pharmacy in Nájera but couldn’t find it again until we got to Frómista. Great pharmacy here is Frómista. Got a compounded cream at the pharmacy for muscle and joint pain just today recommended by our albergue owner.

I’m on Via de la Plata in Aldeanueva. I need to see a doctor .. it’s not a medical emergency but a precious issue that needs attention. I went to the Centro de Salud and was told they cannot see me without a European ID card as the service is ‘public’.The nearest private doctor is in Palencia or Salamanca I see from other posts that non-Europeans have been able to get treatment at a Centro de salud. Does anyone know what is the correct policy. I’m not complaining btw.. just curious so that I am informed for next time. Cheers

I think that public medical centres in Spain are just not set up to deal with insurance claims. European travellers with an EHIC will be able to get free treatment (and their public health insurance provider in their home country will be billed). If places don't normally charge for their services, they won't be able to accept payments for services to people not registered in the European public health system.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m on Via de la Plata in Aldeanueva. I need to see a doctor .. it’s not a medical emergency but a precious issue that needs attention. I went to the Centro de Salud and was told they cannot see me without a European ID card as the service is ‘public’.The nearest private doctor is in Palencia or Salamanca I see from other posts that non-Europeans have been able to get treatment at a Centro de salud. Does anyone know what is the correct policy. I’m not complaining btw.. just curious so that I am informed for next time. Cheer
Stop in at the closest pharmacy they should be able to direct you to a clinic that accepts foreign patients.
**Call your insurance company before seeing a doctor to see if they will cover whatever the expense is to save you time and trouble later. They may also have access to physicians accepting patients and be able to direct you there.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.