• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone know if Albergue San Martin in Orio will be open soon

LoWo

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2023 Norte
My name is Lauren and I’m planning my first camino and have decided on del Norte. I have just over a month to walk with my plane landing in Madrid April 13 and leaving May 23. This forum has been very helpful in getting me started and helping to navigate all the decisions. That said I am trying also to taper off all the neurotic planning and hope to be able to take the path as it comes once I get started.

Because of train schedules, I’m currently thinking I will take a train to San Sebastian from Madrid the day I land and have currently booked an airbnb for 2 nights which seems to have friendly, hospitable hosts (similar to the spirit of the camino even if not an albergue). I’m thinking l’ll leave half my stuff in the airbnb, take a bus to Irun in the morning, and walk back (via the alpistino route). I know it’s a long first day and I’m prepared to catch a bus back to San Sebastian if I am struggling with jet lag or being physically unprepared for 30km.

My question is about the next day. I’d like to have a shorter day 2 and hope to stop in Orio but Gronze says the Albergue San Martin is temporarily closed (though it also says it’s open March 1 to October 9). Anyone know if this is because they are getting a late start opening for the season or if it’s because they are struggling from covid or some other challenge and may not be open this season at all?

All the other accommodation options in Orio and Zarautz seem to be much more expensive so I’m hoping to stay here if possible

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Lauren - Last I heard from Rosa, she was closing early last September because of a family matter. I've followed up a couple times since and haven't heard anything new. Wish I could tell you something more.

Dave

Hi Lauren - Last I heard from Rosa, she was closing early last September because of a family matter. I've followed up a couple times since and haven't heard anything new. Wish I could tell you something more.

Dave
This is helpful thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know it’s a long first day and I’m prepared to catch a bus back to San Sebastian if I am struggling with jet lag or being physically unprepared for 30km.
Fortunately, according to Gronze the regular route is only 24.7, and the alpinista route is 0.7 km shorter. 😉

Fortunately, according to Gronze the regular route is only 24.7, and the alpinista route is 0.7 km shorter. 😉

Oh thats actually encouraging that the alpistina route is shorter!! I’d assumed it was longer. 24km with some decent elevation gains still feels pretty intimidating for a first day 🫣

I’m curious if the benefit of leaving most of my gear in the airbnb will be worth it to not take the other suggested first day route and stopping sooner…it seems like a choice between less weight or less distance for the first day.

My name is Lauren and I’m planning my first camino and have decided on del Norte. I have just over a month to walk with my plane landing in Madrid April 13 and leaving May 23. This forum has been very helpful in getting me started and helping to navigate all the decisions. That said I am trying also to taper off all the neurotic planning and hope to be able to take the path as it comes once I get started.

Because of train schedules, I’m currently thinking I will take a train to San Sebastian from Madrid the day I land and have currently booked an airbnb for 2 nights which seems to have friendly, hospitable hosts (similar to the spirit of the camino even if not an albergue). I’m thinking l’ll leave half my stuff in the airbnb, take a bus to Irun in the morning, and walk back (via the alpistina route). I know it’s a long first day and I’m prepared to catch a bus back to San Sebastian if I am struggling with jet lag or being physically unprepared for 30km.

My question is about the next day. I’d like to have a shorter day 2 and hope to stop in Orio but Gronze says the Albergue San Martin is temporarily closed (though it also says it’s open March 1 to October 9). Anyone know if this is because they are getting a late start opening for the season or if it’s because they are struggling from covid or some other challenge and may not be open this season at all?

All the other accommodation options in Orio and Zarautz seem to be much more expensive so I’m hoping to stay here if possible
Following the death of its owner, the Albergue Saint Martin in Orio is permanently closed

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Following the death of its owner, the Albergue Saint Martin in Orio is permanently closed
That is so sad, best Albergue of the north route. Real nice helpful people. I don’t think we met the owner. We dealt with a young girl and her mother, hard working and very nice.

Because of train schedules, I’m currently thinking I will take a train to San Sebastian from Madrid the day I land and have currently booked an airbnb for 2 nights which seems to have friendly, hospitable hosts (similar to the spirit of the camino even if not an albergue). I’m thinking l’ll leave half my stuff in the airbnb, take a bus to Irun in the morning, and walk back (via the alpistino route). I know it’s a long first day and I’m prepared to catch a bus back to San Sebastian if I am struggling with jet lag or being physically unprepared for 30km.

Hey Lauren. Im also Lauren! It looks like we will be on the Camino around the same time. We will be in san sebastian until the 12th then walking to Gernika on the 12th. We get there the 9th and plan to unwind from jet lag for a few days. If you want to meet up lmk! Im walking with my brother and sister. you can find me on insta at @dollieduke83

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Lauren. Im also Lauren! It looks like we will be on the Camino around the same time. We will be in san sebastian until the 12th then walking to Gernika on the 12th. We get there the 9th and plan to unwind from jet lag for a few days. If you want to meet up lmk! Im walking with my brother and sister. you can find me on insta at @dollieduke83
Hey Lauren!! Nice to “meet” you! I don't have Instagram, but I would be glad to find you on the Camino if somehow our journeys intersect. I figure I may be regularly behind you as I won't be leaving San Sebastian until 3 days after you, but perhaps it will happen for one reason or another!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back