• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone need footwear/foot advice?

gregdedman

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure why I havn't thought of this before but better late than never!

I'm a veteran of one Camino Frances in summer, one in winter. A Camino Muxia, a Camino Finistere and finally, imminently a Camino Catalan. When I'm not walking the Camino, I lead hikes in the mountains. When I'm not doing that, I work in an outdoor store in the UK fitting boots and socks all day long.

Having learnt what usually works when it comes to footwear combinations I can offer any advice, in the build up to 'Camino season', to those pondering on what to buy and how to make it all work.
There are lots of little tricks you can use to lace boots, deal with changes of temperatures during your walking day, how to prevent 'hot-spots' developing into blisters, taking space out of a pair of boots without compromising the fit, how best to layer your socks and what fabrics are best for different seasons.

Feel free to fire away :)
Buen Camino
Greg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From days of lurking, i think that almost EVERYONE has questions about feet! Ha!

Here's my question:

What's the best way to strengthen ankles well before the camino? Is lots of walking enough, or are there specific exercises that will make things easier later on?

With a light pack (11-18 lbs (4.9-8.1 Kg.) boots become redundant. A well fitted pair of hiking shoes with a good tread work so much better, with the benefit of never having blisters -at least that is what happened to me when I switched. What is your opinion of the Inov8 Roclite 286 and the 295? Do you know of other hiking shoes that are lighter and would work on the Camino?

Ultreia!

Mary

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, for an opener, can you clarify what's best between snug fit with toe bed bigger;1/2size bigger in general;merino socks or sock liners?;having your shoes tight enough so your foot doesn't move in them at all?;and are hiking sandals a good choice or not?What kind of foot cream is best,and do you apply it all over, and how often;have you heard of Glysomed,and is it good for feet?;Where in North America can I get compeed?;how often should I take my shoes and socks off during the day;and could you please name some brands that make truly good womens hiking shoes?For training at home I have both soft sole and rigid trainers-which is better?

manoll said:
With a light pack (11-18 lbs (4.9-8.1 Kg.) boots become redundant. A well fitted pair of hiking shoes with a good tread work so much better, with the benefit of never having blisters -at least that is what happened to me when I switched. What is your opinion of the Inov8 Roclite 286 and the 295? Do you know of other hiking shoes that are lighter and would work on the Camino?

Ultreia!

Mary

Wow, you reckon 4.9 - 8.1 kgs is LIGHT????? :D
Regarding the best shoes, I recommend New Balance trail runners, 573 or 610, plain or goretex.

manoll said:

Ultreia!

Mary

It's not just about the weight of your pack, the weather has something to do with this too.
When I'm out hiking in the Swedish woods, I wear sometimes Lundhags boots, sometimes teva sandals, depending on the temperature.
And I'm sure you will be able to tell us if your shoes worked after you have done your camino. :wink:
As I found out, it's in the afternoon when you after a long day on asphalt, have to walk the last part on the awful pavement (Spain has the hardest pavement on earth), that you will know if you took the right shoes.
I would not want to walk in a pair of minimalistic trailrunners on asphalt.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Susannafromsweden said:

Not all trail running shoes are "minimalistic". I have walked plenty of kms on hot tarmac in the afternoon without problems - dare I say the weight of the walker also needs to be taken into consideration, after all it's the total weight supported by the shoes/boots which causes the wear.

Sojourner47 said:
Susannafromsweden said:

Not all trail running shoes are "minimalistic". I have walked plenty of kms on hot tarmac in the afternoon without problems - dare I say the weight of the walker also needs to be taken into consideration, after all it's the total weight supported by the shoes/boots which causes the wear.

Of course not, but the ones manoll mentioned are, I believe. They were on sale here earlier in spring and were not recommended on asphalt.

Well I just figured out that with my 55 kg I got a bmi which is 19,3.
So I guess I'm fine with just flip flops. :lol:

Wow, a few questions to get through! :)
Before I answer specifics, sojourner is correct in that weight has something to do with keeping feet happy.
Think about it, the only part of your body that is in contact with the ground is those two things at the end of your legs supporting all the weight of your body and that pack.
Packing light gives your feet a fighting chance.

I also want to say that I've met people on the camino in huge boots, hiking shoes, trainers, minimal shoes AND bare footed. The people who seemed to have the most issues were the boot brigade. Less is more in this case.

Some of you have asked for specific shoes and through trial and error I would walk every spring/summer/autumn camino in men's Merrell's Moab ventilator shoes.
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15390M/30054/Mens/Moab-Ventilator
Relatively light weight, flexible, non waterproof, super comfortable straight from the box and have the Vibram sole, a hard wearing, grippier rubber, which will last about 1000 miles.

It looks like i'm promoting Merrell here, but serisouly, IMHO they make perfect camino shoes and are available worldwide.
For women, their Avian light, non gore tex is super lightweight, supportive along the sole, has air cushioning and that vibram sole but is also flexible.
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/23470W/0/Womens/Avian-Light-Leather

If you have narrow feet, try Asolo, Scarpa and Salomon.
If you have wider feet try anything from Meindl.

If you are heading out in winter then a boot then becomes useful with its higher ankle support, waterproofing and stability in snowy conditions.

Bare in mind as soon as you add a waterproof, physical membrane like gore-tex into a shoe, you lose a lot of breathability even though these membranes claim to breathe, nothing can beat a ventilated shoe.

Do some weather research and see how many days its likely to rain on your chosen camino month and decide which route to take, waterproof or not.

Hot weather will make your feet swell, FACT. After one hour of activity, your feet will swell further. Add a little altitude and they are bigger still. In the morning your feet are teeny, in the afternoon they are at their biggest.

With this in mind, try your shoes on in stores in the afternoon with socks you are likely to wear on the trail (will come to socks shortly).
When trying on, you need to allow for that swelling so as a general rule you should have an index fingers width, with a little resistance, space at your heel.
This should give you enough room.

Good outdoor stores have a gradient ramp you can try out because just walking on a flat shop floor means nothing really. When you use the gradient ramp, it tells you how much you move in the shoe, important for the hills of the camino.
A good shoe will hold your heel comfortably at the rear, and hold your foot firmly across the top with enough room in the toe to wiggle them. This should prevent slippage towards the front of the shoe when walking down that gradient ramp.
Heel slippage is a big no no and toe cramping in the ends will give you those black toenails which are excruciating!

As an example of my own feet, I swell 3/4 of a size on a summer camino.

I don't use any cream, just tiger balm at the end of every day to decrease any inflammation and I massage it in firmly...my feet love me for it!
Personally I detest compeed. It is usually used by people after they have a blister. This means that it doesn't allow the blister to air or to heal fast. Oh and not forgetting the pain when you try and rip that compeed off of an open blister! ouch.

Prevention is the one and only key to being blister free.

This is where socks come in.
You've heard of the brand '1000 mile' socks?
Well, and again this is my educated opinion only, they are problematic.
Their trick is that they are double layered with the thinking that the two layers rub against each other while walking, while traditional socks will rub against your skin and potentially cause abrasions (blisters).
They also mean that if your feet get too hot, there's nothing you can do about it, your stuck with double layers.

Two layers are the way to go but its the density and materials you need to concentrate on.

Bridgedale do a thin, COOLMAX material sock. (coolmax is the independent technology you need to look for in any brand of liner sock).
http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-coolmax-liner-everyday-outdoors-1

This coolmax, close to the skin, wicks away the moisture your feet will produce, keeping the skin dry.
Remember moist skin + abrasion = blister.

Look at the size range on the packaging of all socks.
If you are a size 6 ladies shoe and the socks come in ranges of 3-5.5 and 6-8, go for the smaller range. Socks stretch and as long as the heel of the sock fits the heel of your foot then that's what we need. If you were to take a jump to the next size range, it will not fit your foot snugly, preventing the coolmax to work effectively, and will be more prone to slipping down as they will be looser.

The next layer is a midweight, preferably with a percentage of Merino wool, hiking sock with cusioning on the heel, balls of the feet and ankle.
Here's a female's sock from Bridgedale again.
http://www.bridgedale.com/women-s-trail-diva-women-s-coolfusion-2

Notice the padding on the aforementioned areas and the elasticity on the ankle and around the main body of the foot.
This elastic prevents slippage.
The merino wool gives unparalleled blister prevention, a little warmth and cushioning for the millions of steps you'll take en-route.

This type of sock also allows the moisture that the liner socks have absorbed, to ventilate out into your shoe. If you had a waterproof shoe, this is where most of the moisture would stay.

Bridgedale guarantee most of their socks for 3 years which for socks, is immense and a show of how good they are. They are made in Britain and cost about $20 or £13.

I would take two pairs of liners and two pairs of midweights, alternating each day.

You should take your shoes and socks off at EVERY opportunity. Whenever you see a lake, pond, stream, irrigation canal...wherever.
The cold water takes the swelling down and soothes....nothing beats that feeling when on the camino so treat yourself and your feet to it as much as you can :)

IMPORTANT....make sure to dry your feet (and between your toes) thoroughly before putting your socks back on. Remember, moist feet + abrasion = blisters!
Leave your socks laid out on the ground and let the sun dry them out for a few minutes and when you slip them on again, it'll be like you've started walking afresh.

Now, everyone has their own tips for blister prevention.
Using the above advise and several test runs, you should find out what works out for you.

Give yourself options is my biggest piece of advice.
By that I mean....a pair of 1000 mile, double layer socks gives you one single option while using 2 separate pairs of specific socks, gives you the chance to swap them around, mix and match and take a layer away if necessary.

Take ventilated, non waterproof shoes if possible. You could always buy waterproof socks for rainy days. But a gore-tex shoe is waterproof for those 500 miles and if you get not one single day of rain....they are pointless.
I'd rather have 4 days of wet feet over 33 days of hot, blistered feet!

My final, cheeky little secret for blister prevention is this.
On day one, out of St Jean Pied de Port, into the Pyrenees, you'll see sheep wool snagged on the barbed wire fences.
Collect a handful. By the time you reach the top of the pass you'll most likely have a hot-spot on your heel. This is the first stage of a blister.

Take a seat, take shoes and socks off, dry the skin and take out a small clump of clean wool.
Shape it into a 2p (or any coin shape) flatten it out and stick it to the hot-spot with light surgical tape. That blister will never come!
Socks back on, shoes back on and get walking. It acts as a free, natural and readily available Merino blister patch ;-)

I hope that's all easy enough to follow.

Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Shoe or boot... Most people (including me) who had blisters wore boots. However, most people I met with tendinitis wore shoes. I'll take the blisters anytime.

Great advice, Greg, I agree about goretex, it does reduce ventilation and make your feet hotter/more prone to blisters. Next time I will wear non-goretex (New Balance 610 Trail runners.... :D )
And 1000mile socks never worked for me, in fact I got more blisters wearing them than ordinary 2 pairs, and they take much longer to dry after washing.

That was a good post Greg. :)

I'm not a fan of Goretex either. The boots will get wet anyway sooner or later, and the Goretex will make the shoes even more difficult to dry.
I saw on a Swedish forum they had cut an old Goretex boot in half. Meindl I think. The Goretex was just black plastic foil, and there was a layer which looked like a plastic foam mattress. No wonder they get hot!

Well I remembered wrong, they had taken out all that was inside the boot:
http://www.utsidan.se/forum/showpost.ph ... stcount=18

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Could you clarify for me?Are the right kind of socks sold as a pair having liners,or are socks and liners sold seperately?Do you wear socks with the liners all the time or can they be worn seperately, for instance just liners on very hot days?

Socks are sold separately.

You could wear the liners alone but the constant shock of 33 days of walking with no cushioning will give you terrible pains.

I would always wear one pair of liners and one pair of medium cushioned socks with a percentage of merino wool.

My last dumb question- can I buy liners at the same place I buy my socks?Can any superlight sock be a liner?I read about someone using knee high pantyhose.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All good outdoor shops should have liner socks and make sure they are made of COOLMAX fabric.
This is important to wick moisture away.
They do have a percentage of nylon in actually so that's not such a bad idea.

Thanks for all of the great info!

I think my question got lost in the shuffle, though. Any tips on strengthening feet and ankles well before setting out on the camino?

Thanks!
S

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you so much for your patience and terrific information. Now I feel prepared to make an intelligent choice!

Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'll need waterproof boots/shoes since I'll be walking in March/April. I expect to start out with snow, so I think waterproof will be necessary.

I think that I'm relatively confident. I mean...of course I'm a bit nervous...but I was just wondering if there's more that I should do. I walk an hour a day and also do yoga at least 3 times a week, so I'm hoping that my ankles are already strong enough. But I've got almost a year to toughen up a bit! I guess we'll see!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wow, you reckon 4.9 - 8.1 kgs is LIGHT?????
Regarding the best shoes, I recommend New Balance trail runners, 573 or 610, plain or goretex.
Sojourner47, on the Camino the weight of my pack and what I will have on for clothes together will be about 4.9 kg. It's when I backpack in the mountains and I carry a tent, a little stove, a pot, a sleeping pad, dehydrated food for 10 days, and a water purifier -in addition to the sleeping bag, clothes, etc. that my pack weighs closer to 8 kg.
As for my Inov8, they are not GorTex, they are very light and breathable, and they fit me well. This is my 3rd pair. Never have had a blister! And I don't need GorTex either. Love them!

What's your total weight for the camino Sojourner? I would love finding ways of reducing my 4.9 kg. Would enjoy hearing from you!

Ultreia!

Mary

Shoe or boot... Most people (including me) who had blisters wore boots. However, most people I met with tendinitis wore shoes. I'll take the blisters anytime.
CaminoGen, you sound like a tough pilgrim who can tolerate pain! Ouch! Why would you think that by wearing hiking boots you are safe and could not get tendonitis? There are so many factors that contribute to tendonitis and it certainly is not because of the trail shoes. For example, the weight of your pack and your own weight, lack of stretching and strengthening your calf muscles. Not taking breaks every hour, and when there is pain and swelling not stopping as soon as possible to immerse your feet in cool water, and resting.

The most important thing before heading out on a long trek is to have/buy a good pair of shoes. Oh, and those cheap insoles that come with the shoes? Get rid of them! They don’t provide enough arch support or shock absorption and usually end up flat. They should be replaced by some high quality ones. There are some really good ones out there that are good for up to 800 miles, meaning they will/should outlast the first pair of shoes. One very important fact that Greg has mentioned is the size of your shoes, if you are going to be doing long distance walking, buy them a half a size larger! I wear trail shoes and have for years and have been free of blisters. Oh, and no tendonitis either :D .

Ultreia!

Mary

Regarding footwear, I am doing the Camino in Mid May-June and I am 95% on the Women's Salomon X Ultra GTX Hiking shoe. Any feed back on these shoes would be very helpful.

Thx
Shelly :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
manoll said:
One very important fact that Greg has mentioned is the size of your shoes, if you are going to be doing long distance walking, buy them a half a size larger!

One is better off getting them properly fitted, which was Greg's advice. Do your boot shopping at the end of the day, park a little way from the store and walk to it, and have the socks you intend to wear. Good footwear will have a removable inner sole, and you can remove this and by placing your foot on it with you heel where it will be when the boot is worn and standing up, you can quickly see how much space there is for your foot to lengthen. My rule of thumb is that less than a cm is not enough.

While I understand that many people wear shoes, I prefer boots, even on the Camino. Pack weight, weather, track surface and footwear weight are all considerations. I did blister in 2010, but when I walked in sandals, not because I was wearing boots. My observation is that a good pair of boots is more comfortable at the end of 25-30km than any of my trekking shoes or other sports shoes.

Regards,

The salomon xa pro shoes are a light weight trail running shoe, quite supportive but quite a narrow fit. Ok for narrower footed people but watch out for that swelling on the fleshy outside of the foot.
Reports on the durability of the sole are not as good as vibram, especially on these xa pros funnily enough. I'm sure they'd last 800km but not too much further.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh and for mid may and june gore-tex won't really be needed. I'm walking a section of the Camino Catalan from Monday and it's 23 degrees and pure sunshine :) and this is only mid April.

Hi lisette,
Its very rare to find a non goretex leather boot, but if you do, bear in mind that leather is a natural water resistant material and usually a leather shoe is unlikely to have much stitching. This in turn traps that moisture.
So, if I had a choice it'd always be fabric. Leather is overkill for a summer Camino.

Greg, we are going to start in Oviedo to do El Camino Primitivo in June of next year. I have been looking at a multitude of hiking/trail shoes. The most comfortable so far are New Balance MW759BR (non goretex) and The North Face Ultra 106 GTX XCR (goretex). This part of Spain has fairly unpredictable weather, so I would like your opinion on the shoes I am looking at. Do you think I should skip the waterproof feature altogether? Do you recommend another shoe? So far I have been training with my Asics running shoes since that's what I find most comfortable but when I get into rocky trails I feel every stone, obviously. Thx for your help in advance. JN :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have the Solomon GTX boots. I love them. I would wear then everyday ( but that would be weird and not look good at work!!)

gregdedman said:
Oh and for mid may and june gore-tex won't really be needed. I'm walking a section of the Camino Catalan from Monday and it's 23 degrees and pure sunshine :) and this is only mid April.
I don't think that the mere coincidence of it not raining for a few days while a particular individual is walking should be taken as a sound basis for general advice of this nature. Greg's individual good luck might be wonderful for him, but won't necessarily be repeated.

In Burgos, the average monthly rainfall is about 48mm, and the average rainfall for May is 64mm 34% more than the average. The Jun average is 49mm, ie about average. In Leon, May is on the average, with Jun about 25% below the average. In Santiago, the difference is more marked, with May having about 70% of the monthly average, and Jun about 50%. (source: http://www.worldclimate.com)

In terms of the number of wet days, for both Burgos and Leon, May has the greatest number of wet days on average, both with about a third of the month being wet.I couldn't find this information for Santiago, but at Ourense, May is only the second wettest month, again with about a third of the month being classified as wet. (source: climatemps.com)

It would appear to me that Greg's good luck is just that, and is not indicative of the long term weather patterns that would be a better guide to what equipment to take and wear.

Regards,

Manoll, after 37 years, I know my feet and that very few shoes fit me. I'm on my fifth pair; I've tried Garmont, Keen, Salomon, Merrell, shoes and boots, with Gore-tex and without. I pack light and train. Some feet are prone to blisters, some not and the only valuable test is walking the Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear SisterSimon, my trail shoes are Inov8 Roclite 295. Here is the information and what they look like: http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Produc ... .html?L=27

Inov8 has a different variety of trail shoes of different weights and with or without GorTex. The number indicates the grams they weigh, so mine weigh 10.4 ounces :D, and I chose these because of the grip and the combination of terrain use, and a plus for me is the deep-cleated soles. :) Also, there is no breaking them in to feel comfortable!

If you live in the U.S. check with Zappos. You can order as many shoes as you want to, you can try them on and whether you decide to keep a pair or two or not, shipping is free both ways. You can also check in your area and go to the store and try on different shoes until you are convinced that you have a good fit.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Mary

Hey CaminoGen, there is a very good product for blisters, -aside from "freshly harvested wool" :D that perhaps you already know about. Compeed is very effective in protecting the areas where you are prone to getting blisters, Compeed stays on for days because of the great adhesive, and is waterproof and is readily available in all the farmacias in Spain. There is a similar product by Johnson & Johnson here in the U. S. but it's not as good. Blessings to you on your Camino!

Ultreia!

Mary

Manoll, Compeed is evil (I've explained elsewhere).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Manoll, now you are joking, right? :lol:

You see, compeed is something you can buy all over (I think) Europe , since... well I don't know?
20 years? Everywhere.
You thought that was something new? That only manoll knew about? :lol:

I have to agree with CaminoGen here. I thought before I left that Compeed would be my salvation, but it was far from it. For one thing it doesn't stick to your foot - it sticks to your socks. The damp in a Camino shoe means it comes off almost immediately, and then slides to somewhere else where it attaches itself permanently and very gooily to your sock or liner ... or in one case the footbed of my Crocs. Vaseline+liner+wool sock is my preferred combo, plus taking shoes and socks off as often as possible.

OMG! No Susanna I don't think it's new! I discovered Compeed more than 20 years ago when I was dumb enough to walk in high-heel (hell :twisted: ) shoes in Spain, and I would get blisters! Because at that time I was still backpacking wearing boots and definitely getting blisters I purchased a few little cases of Compeed. A few years later something similar to Compeed showed up here in the U.S. but the adhesive left a lot to be desired, and still does! The only reason I suggested it was because CaminoGen mentioned his feet and I thought that not everyone is aware that the Compeed in Europe is the best. Also in mentioning Compeed, my thought was to help new hikers who don't have much information on this issue. That's all!

Mary

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nidarosa, I'm not sure how that happens to some. I never had that happen to me when using Compeed even on the wettest days. We backpacked the West Coast Trail on the Pacific Rim National Forest in Vancouver island during the all-time record rainfall and Compeed did not fail me. The European product was great! Obviously it has been a few years since I've need it :D

Ultreia!

Mary

Oh! CaminoGen, that's too bad it didn't work for you! :( And yet, many of us have had very good luck with it. Goes to show how different everyone can react to the same product!
Although I wouldn't call it evil, that's a bit harsh! :twisted:

manoll said:
OMG! No Susanna I don't think it's new! I discovered Compeed more than 20 years ago when I was dumb enough to walk in high-heel (hell :twisted: ) shoes in Spain, and I would get blisters! Because at that time I was still backpacking wearing boots and definitely getting blisters I purchased a few little cases of Compeed. A few years later something similar to Compeed showed up here in the U.S. but the adhesive left a lot to be desired, and still does! The only reason I suggested it was because CaminoGen mentioned his feet and I thought that not everyone is aware that the Compeed in Europe is the best. Also in mentioning Compeed, my thought was to help new hikers who don't have much information on this issue. That's all!

Mary
Well that's good manoll, I thought for a while you were teasing caminogen. :wink:

Actually I think compeed only works for high heels, and such shoes.
Then they are really good.
When hiking its difficult.
I used one last year when hiking in Greece and got a nasty infection after just a few days. And it was a very small blister.
You got to keep the compeed dry, otherwise it turns to gel, and sticks to the socks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A quick test for whether Compeed will work for you.
Can you wear waterproof sticking plasters or do they fall off? If they fall off then likely Compeed will too.
Terry cannot use either as this is what happens for him. He bought some strip plaster in Spain from a farmacia and it worked well on his skin (and mine), but we didn't get blisters so didn't test it that way :) .

Mary, thanks for the shoe suggestion. I'll look for a retailer here or when I'm in NYC.Shouldn't have any trouble ordering from the States.
The only product comparable to Compeed on this side of the ocean that I know of is molefelt, or molefoam. The adhesive isn't very good for feet,but Sisters use it to cover the sharp metal edge on the crown of our veils. Without it, your ears get cut and super sore . There you go-trade secret!

That's funny SisterSimon!
Sisters use it to cover the sharp metal edge on the crown of our veils. Without it, your ears get cut and super sore .
Why doesn't someone contact the manufacturer of your veils and suggests a covering/wrapping on that metal edge? Or maybe changing the metal to a plastic? I bet they's probably be willing to help, don't you think? After all you are their customer :D

Well, SisterSimon I hope you find a great pair of shoes that are perfect for you! I also look forward to seeing your posts and hearing from you! And with the time you have to prepare yourself for your Camino, when you place your first step on the trail you'll be ready!

Ultreia!

Mary

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just bought my boots (Keen Susanville mid-boots) and I need a lot of arch support in my shoes. These ones are okay, and I've yet to try them with thick socks as it's still over 30 degrees C here at the moment (I hate the heat!) but i'm worried I may need more.

Are there any particular inserts you'd recommend? I'm loath to rip out the sole of the shoe though, so other suggestions are welcome. I'm going to try my tape when I go for my next trial walk in them tomorrow and see how much more that gives me. I was also lucky enough to find socks with in-built arch support, but i'm still a little concerned.

super feet inserts are incredible make a huge difference

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Greg,
You mention repairs for Vibram soles. Where please - for future reference. If we can replace the inner sole easily then outer repairs would be viable eventually with our new boots. It might still be worth looking at repairs for the 'old' boots.
We'll let you know how the Grisport do. Part of the reason for changing from Hi-Tec was that the latest boots are a fraction smaller than the old style. A shame as we really liked them. A good reason for buying in store rather than on-line.

Hi Valeria,
Im sorry, I don't think I mentioned repairs for vibram soles, unless i've been 'sleep-foruming' again!
However, it is possible.
These guys are great and based in the UK
http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/walking_boot_repairs.htm

My concern if you have chosen gore-tex is when any part of the outer shoe splits, the gore-tex membrane can be exposed to dirt, grime, moisture directly....possibly ruining the waterproofing.
The vibram replacements for a pair arent cheap...£48 or $90 ish....worth it?

Thanks for the link. I thought I read the repair suggestion on one of your posts, my mistake. New (leather) boots cost around £85 so it is probably not worth re-soling unless the inner linings are still really good. Heeling cost about £15 two years ago but hardly outlasted the linings and also gave a harder tread.

I think we'll stick with our current usage which is to basically train in our old/older boots especially when having to road walk. This keeps the new/newer boots for the Camino itself. With the new ones they just need enough wear to ensure that they are good for our feet and preferably off road. However the recent and current weather makes off road walking look a bit difficult for a while yet :(

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've a very narrow heel but the rest of my foot is "normal" width. Even loafers turn into flip-flops with me.
My most comfortable shoes are my (bought in Canada, not available where I live now) New Balance runners, and my Croc flip flops

My hiking boots are a bit too high on the ankle and my heel lifts up in each step, and my toes smack the front with each step, despite being a half size bigger for thick socks ( because my skinny, skinny heel makes my foot slide with each step)

Anyone else with the same issues?

Could I walk a summer camino with running shoes?

Packinglight, I also have a very narrow heel. Can't wear slip on shoes and even on lace ups I can slip out of most of them. The front of my foot is also a bit thin though so I can't even wear any "mule" type slip ons. There is a padding sold that grips the heel and at the same time it takes up some extra space to help the shoes fit snugger at the heel.

My daughter just bought herself the salomon x ultra gtx and they are not what I would call a trail runner but more of a light, low hiker. We just discovered the threads inside the tongue are loose and we can't get a replacement pair in time so she might end up wearing them and hope the tongue doesn't fall apart. They do fit a narrow foot unlike a lot of other shoes.

The salomons are water proof which was a feature I don't like. I think of it like wearing a truly water proof jacket that makes most people over heat. I asked the sales clerks about this in a couple of stores but think they are too young to understand.

Thanks for all the info about choosing foot wear. As with most things after you have all the knowledge there is still some trial and error.

Hi all

Quick question
I'm walking from Logrono to Leon in May and I have two pairs of shoes that I am comfortable with but I am looking for your opinions on which would be better for this particular stretch.
Firstly, I have a pair of Merril Moab mid ankle boots, http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product ... Ventilator

And, also a pair of North Face Hedgehogs http://www.amazon.com/The-North-Face-GT ... B003U4VW7S

Both I am happy with.
I wore a pair of NF Hedgehogs last May from Leon to Santiago and I got alot of blisters, but I'm putting that down to a poor choice in socks.

Many thanks!
David

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am currently on the Le Puy section of the camino and wearing the Salomon GTX boots. This route is a combination of large sharp rocks, mud that is sometimes over the ankles, walking through streams both up and downhill and endless road walking. Oh yes- we had 4 inches of snow one morning. I like the boots for the trail walking although they are not waterproof for the kind of spring creek walking we have to do (and no, there is no avoiding the water rush. The boots are definitely rainproof though. I hate the boots for road walking - and there is so much of it to do. I find the soles hard with no 'give' on the pavement. And incidentally I have quite wide feet. This year's model fits quite loosely on my feet.
Buen camino

cecelia, just curious if you brought extra laces with you. The salomens my daughter bought have the type of laces that you pull and cinch, not traditional laces at all. We were thinking of buying a spare pair even though the clerk said they would never break. It doesn't look like you could use traditional laces in place of these specialized ones. The spares are around $10 so not too costly.

Well, I just tried out my boots with both pairs of socks I'll be wearing and it seemed to provide enough support with the thicker fabric. I've left the Superfeet site bookmarked though in case after a longer walk I decide I'll need more.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hello everyone. I would appreciate personal opinion about this boot. http://www.salomon.com/us/product/wings-sky-gtx-2.html. If you guys can send your answer as soon as possible I will appreciate so much. I intend to leave at the beginning of May. I am not a fit woman with 49 yo, even with 164cm/ 64 kg , I am not fit an I have weak ankles, but I will take very careful, cause I have time. if I can I walk 20 to 30 km a day ok, if not, no problem, I will let my body talk. I am without much preparations, I only walk everyday around 10 to 15 km. My rush to do the Camino this year are if I can not do now, will be difficult in another time. I've being postpone more than 23 years this trip cause others persons and family issue. I am not regret, but if I can not do now seems will be hard in the future. I really need to strengthen my faith, take time just for me and more importantly to feel closer to God in this journey.
Well sorry for any inconvenience , any tips or advice will be very appreciate .thanks a lot .
Utreia.

I intend to leave at the beginning of May. I am not a fit woman with 49 yo, even with 164cm/ 64 kg , I am not fit an I have weak ankles, but I will take very careful, cause I have time. if I can I walk 20 to 30 km a day ok, if not, no problem, I will let my body talk. I am without much preparations, I only walk everyday around 10 to 15 km. My rush to do the Camino this year are if I can not do now, will be difficult in another time. I've being postpone more than 23 years this trip cause others persons and family issue. I am not regret, but if I can not do now seems will be hard in the future. I really need to strengthen my faith, take time just for me and more importantly to feel closer to God in this journey.
Well sorry for any inconvenience , any tips or advice will be very appreciate .thanks a lot .
Utreia.
Hi Fatima, I just saw your post and depending on how much weight you will carry, those are some heavy duty boots to backpack in the mountains with a heavy pack. If you will carry about 10-12 pounds (4.5-5.4 Kg) you would not need to wear boots, but a good pair of trail shoes, even with weak ankles! Have you thought about using hiking poles? They are a savior for your knees and ankles, they help you going down hill and crossing streams, and make hiking so much easier, really they do! Do you need Gor-Tex? I don´t think so because you do not want your feet to get hot and sweaty. If you wear rain gear that usually is enough to protect you. If you haven´t bought the boots, take a look at some good trail shoes with good traction, and that´s all you´ll need, I promise :D

I like your way of thinking! It is wonderful that you will not be in a hurry to do your Camino, and most importantly, to take your time and pay attention to your body. It is also a dream come true, finally! My prayers for a safe trip with the spiritual closeness to God you seek and with much peace and enjoyment!

Ultreia!

Mary

Thank a lot Mary for your advice. I have lot of fears an anxious plus my family complain and against . I get depress some time, fell guilt to let them behind . My partner is lovely but grew up in non religious family, this opposite of my back ground .is quite difficult to deal with it.
Wow!!!!!!my Latin temper open almost part of private life.lol But this Camino is so important for me,and they simple start everyday sabotage, 2 step further 1 behind. But I will be there an reach Santiago My faith will guide me.

About shoe with one you recommend? Any brand ? In Austria , where I live, is quite difficult to find light one. No gtx, no weatherproof etc.....and most of them is heavier and leather . thanks in advance for any advices. peace and love for you

ULTREYA!

€149,-
Fatima, try hard not to let your fears and anxiety be the voice that tells you what to do. God has called you to walk this Camino, now-and I am sure of that. You have answered "yes!!" to His Invitation, so He will be walking beside you, guiding and protecting you all the way, and revealing His Loving Presence every moment.Most of the time fear is based on false expectations of problems that will never occur.Trust God to take care of you, and He will.
My prayers go with you.
Have a wonderful Camino!

Hi Fatima!
I think it is very difficult to recommend shoes for someone else, because all feet a different, and what works for one might be terrible for someone else. (well its different for Greg who has shoes as a job, but he is on the camino right now. :) )
But I bought a pair of Salomon xt wings a couple of weeks ago, that is a low trailrunner with no Goretex, just mesh. And I love them so much I wear them everyday. Lots of people wear Salomon, so they must be good. Good cushioning is important as we will be walking on asphalt sometimes, and that is very tiring.
Buen Camino

Hola Fatima,
If you live in Austria you might be able to buy the Italian made GriSport brand. They make lightweight boots as well as shoe types. I found the men's Quatro' fit my feet best. Buying in a good shop will give you help with the fit. You need to be able to push your toes to the end of the toe-box and then get a finger in behind your heel with your intended walking socks on. Then when tied proprly you will have wiggle room for your toes.
Another 'plus' for Grisport is that they do not take a lot of 'breaking in', so if you can find a pair they should be good for May.

€60,-
manoll said:
If you will carry about 10-12 pounds (4.5-5.4 Kg) you would not need to wear boots, but a good pair of trail shoes, even with weak ankles! Have you thought about using hiking poles? They are a savior for your knees and ankles, they help you going down hill and crossing streams, and make hiking so much easier, really they do!
[/color]

+1 on that! :)

Btw I've been admiring the signature photo you got (or avatar, or what it's called).
I don't know want it is, but it's beautiful. :)

Tia Valeria said:
Hola Fatima,
If you live in Austria you might be able to buy the Italian made GriSport brand. They make lightweight boots as well as shoe types. I found the men's Quatro' fit my feet best. Buying in a good shop will give you help with the fit. You need to be able to push your toes to the end of the toe-box and then get a finger in behind your heel with your intended walking socks on. Then when tied proprly you will have wiggle room for your toes.
Another 'plus' for Grisport is that they do not take a lot of 'breaking in', so if you can find a pair they should be good for May.

I whole-heartely concur - I bought a pair of GriSport Dartmoor Shoes (not boots because I simply prefer shoes) a couple of weeks ago. They are not the lightest, they are clumpy and old fashioned to look at but I wore them straight from the shop and have already done several sessions of 10 miles or so in wet grass and mud, up and down steep hills, on gravelly tracks and tarmac. I am very pleased with them as they seem to suit me very well - they also get very good reviews on the internet. My personal opinion is that the advantage of leather is in its changing to go to your foot shape. I also put Vaseline on my toes etc. along with a Bridgdale liner sock then a quality walking sock to minimise friction.

That part from Tia Valeria about going to a good shop to get something that suits and fits YOU is probably the best advice you will get I think. I was tempted to save a bit of money by purchasing from the internet but in the end chose to go to a shop to try them properly.

Good luck.

Dear Fatima,

Logically everyone should try on their shoes before purchasing a pair; to not do that would be foolish and the results could be disastrous, both on your feet and definitely on your joie de vivre. Ultimately, you wouldn't be able to concentrate on the purpose of your journey! Or you'd be offering your pain as penance to The Lord! Ouch!!

Check different styles of shoes, try them on, and like it has been pointed out, it has to be the right fit for your feet. I have worn women's shoes that were my size but the wrong fit, I have bought men's and had a better fit, but it wasn't until I tried the Inov8 Roclite 295 - which is actually a unisex model, that I finally had the right shoe for my feet, - and never again have I had any blisters! Can I recommend them? Yes, but will they be the right shoe for you? That, only you could know :)

Oh, and Fatima, do not get discouraged, let your faith guide you! And that idea that you'll be leaving your family behind? You're planning on returning to them, right? You are not leaving them! This is a spiritual journey you have been craving to do, no one but you can make it happen. You are a courageous woman! Many blessings on your Camino. Maybe we'll cross paths along the way :D

Ultreia!

Mary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Btw I've been admiring the signature photo you got (or avatar, or what it's called).
I don't know want it is, but it's beautiful.

Hi Susannafromsweden! Thank you for your comment. When I saw the picture of the raindrop on the tip of the leaf, I too thought it was beautiful and fragil-looking. The reflections on the drop made me think of life, of all that surrounds us and how much our lives are like a droplet from the heavens above!
Yes, it spoke strongly to me. You may find this too tacky or mushy, sorry!

Ultreia!

Mary

Has anyone tried the Injinji toe socks? They come in different weights and are made for long distance runners.Apparently the individual toes prevent blisters completely. I remember years ago you could buy multi coloured knee high toe socks, which were made mostly for a joke. They were thick and felt weird. Obviously these new ones are superior, but I wonder how they feel and if they really do prevent blisters. They can be worn with Vibram toe shoes or regular ones-I am curious to hear from anyone who has tried the shoes, too.
Your replies will be much appreciated!

I have been wondering for a few days how to politely point out that the advocates of trail running shoes have provided very little (none really :) ) objective information about the design compromises that this type of footwear involves. Any competition-oriented footwear designed to assist athletes achieve better performances (ie go faster) will do so by reducing weight somewhere, typically in one or all of the support structures, protective layers and cushioning material.

One of the most important layers typically removed is protection from intrusion by rocks, stones and other pointed objects. Harder soles provide this, or it might be provided by a 'rock plate' for shoes with thinner EVA mid-soles and soft rubber outer-soles. One of the shoes being heavily promoted here has omitted this entirely. My view is that there are parts of the Camino Frances where wearing footwear without such protection would require much greater care to avoid bruising than might otherwise be required.

The foam cushioning typically used in any sports footwear loses its effectiveness over time, reducing the shoe's ability to cushion and protect the foot. But with less of it, this happens much more quickly. Here again, greater care will be required as the protection and cushioning offered degrades.

Some of the shoes discussed also get their grip by using very soft 'rubber' on the sole to compensate for the weight savings made by using a very low profile tread pattern. This will wear much more quickly, even more when worn on ashphalt and concrete surfaces. I know competitive walkers and runners who will not wear their competition shoes anywhere but at meets on the competition surface so they don't reduce their life, which even then may only be as little as a season (300-500km).

All this leads me to doubt the wisdom of recommending trail running footwear designed for well-conditioned athletes engaged in what are relatively short, high-intensity running events over a limited range of trail surfaces for use by people of ordinary ability, possible carrying or prone to a variety of age or condition related injuries that are about to undertake an activity over many days over many different surfaces. If someone chooses to use such footwear knowing its limitations, so be it, but let them know what those limitations are.

I support what I perceived to be gregdedman's original intention here, and that was to give people the advice they needed to make good footwear choices, irrespective of whether some brands or their models were available. It would be good to get back to that.

SisterSimon said:
Has anyone tried the Injinji toe socks? They come in different weights and are made for long distance runners.Apparently the individual toes prevent blisters completely.
I have tried them, and they do provide the protection between toes that would prevent blisters forming there. I don't think there is anything about their design that would prevent blisters forming elsewhere, like the soles, sides and heal of the foot.

Having tried them, I continue to use normal liner socks, and if I feel I need additional protection, tape the toes that I know have blistered in the past with micropore or a similar tape. This needs to be replaced every few days, but doesn't add as much to the width of my foot across the toes as the Injinji socks did.

Regards,

Thanks for your advice, Doug. I read your previous recommendations regarding shoes. Having pointed out the weaknesses of certain types, what kind of shoes would you recommend for the Camino?

One of the most important layers typically removed is protection from intrusion by rocks, stones and other pointed objects. Harder soles provide this, or it might be provided by a 'rock plate' for shoes with thinner EVA mid-soles and soft rubber outer-soles. One of the shoes being heavily promoted here has omitted this entirely.

Doug, not knowing whether you are referring to my recommendation on trail shoes or not, I see your point when you explain the technology used and give specifics regarding why trail shoes would be undesirable for such a long walk like the Camino. I am not telling anyone to purchase what I have and would never contend that trail shoes are the perfect fit for everyone.

There are so many things to take into consideration aside from shoe technology: the weight of the person, the weight carried, healthy joints or not, using trekking poles or not, etc. before determining what style of footwear is a better choice for that person.

I have confidently mentioned the Inov8 Roclite 295 because for me these have been the ideal backpacking shoe up in the mountains, on rocky trails, on sand, on the West Coast Trail, on a hard surface, and on oodles and oodles of quagmire. My feet have not given me any blisters, any pain, and though my joints are not in their best shape due to arthritis, having hiking poles has been a plus.

So, you see, the only reason I decided to respond to this post in the first place was because there are some new members who want help in exploring their choices and at least have an idea of where to begin. Based on my personal experience and having used a variety of footwear under different conditions, I feel that my recommendation is a valid one. Not the perfect one, but one that is based on knowledge and common sense. With this said, please know that I have participated here, to contribute and help as much as to inquire and learn from all of you. Definitely not to be snotty or presume I know it all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
SisterSimon said:
Thanks for your advice, Doug. I read your previous recommendations regarding shoes. Having pointed out the weaknesses of certain types, what kind of shoes would you recommend for the Camino?

The characteristics that I would be looking for comprise:
  • comfort - you are going to be wearing the shoe or boot for days on end. Unless you are very light on your feet, good cushioning performance across the whole foot is important. Also, because you are walking, not running, good heel shock absorption is part of that. If you buy a hard soled shoe, make sure you get a good cushioning liner.
  • protection - when I walked the Camino Frances, there wasn't any extremely rocky pathway or ice, but in spring, I met most other conditions from moderately rocky trail to smooth concrete, including some stretches of muddy trail. A solid sole or a rock plate is clearly an advantage, a 3/4 rock plate leaving the ball of the foot exposed might be acceptable, and anything less is in my view marginal. I prefer a higher boot for some ankle protection, but for most of the Camino Frances, one could easily walk in a mid or low cut boot knowing that extra care would be needed from time to time.
  • waterproof - while it might be possible if you were just day-hiking to not have waterproof footwear, the camino is much more than a series of day-hikes strung together. You don't have the benefit of returning home and drying out in the same way. I prefer leather, but there are several membrane technologies that work. My wife is currently using a pair of Keen mid-ankle boots with the Keen-dry membrane, and these work well. Yes, your feet will get hotter, but my view is that is better than risking blisters with wet socks.
  • durable - general requires harder composition soles, which can compromise comfort particularly on roads. You need the soles to last about 2000km or more - enough for your preparation and for when you go back again after becoming addicted.
  • weight is the last issue - yes, it is important not to carry too much, but it is equally silly to be so driven by reducing weight that you make other compromises.

In all of this, there will be compromises. If weight is important, it is possible to get down to under 600gm/pair for lightweight competition style shoes. My sandals are heavier than that! My view is that it is important to know what compromises are made to achieve those much lighter weights, and what that might mean so that one can take extra care where that is required. If you don't want to make those compromises, then there are plenty of good trekking/hiking brands out there that make good shoes as well as mid-cut boots that are around 1kg a pair (depending on your size). Boots will get progressively heavier. I walked St Olav's Way last year in Asolo TPS 535s, and recently completed the Milford Track in NZ wearing them as well. They are brilliant wild country boots, but at just over 1.9kg, really over specified for the Camino Frances in spring to autumn. It has little genuinely wild country even if the mountains are demanding closer to winter.

Regards,

Re: Footwear

I followed up the recommendations about Roclitev295,after doing some further reading about them on
A variety of Blogs,elsewhere;I have just begun breaking them in,wearing my backpack( heavily land).
I am walking from Lisbon to Oporto ( along the little known,it would appear,Coastal route ).
They have given me great confidence so far.

Hi Toby65,

Hopefully the breaking in period turns out to be non-existent, and you have blister-free and pain-free feet due to the shoes you purchased; I wish you the best and hope that you enjoy your walking throughout the Camino. :D Blessings on your journey!

Ultreia!

Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Love the controversy in this thread! Very amusing. Everyone is different, just as everyone's Camino will be different. My partner and I, between us, have wracked up 4 complete caminos from SJPDP to Santiago, 2 Le Puy to SJPDP, 1 Paris to SJPDP, 2 hybrid Canal du Midi Arles to Olorun, plus numerous other shorter walks. Summer, autumn, spring, late winter. Heat, pouring rain, snow and mud.
I've got a very narrow heel but wide, wide forefoot and short stubby toes, get metatarsal pain and plantar fasciitis unless I wear an orthotic. he's got relatively normal feet. We both walked our first camino in boots. We've been through many permutations since then. Now he wears ordinary light leather lace-up loafer shoes with a weird wide toe (Jacoform - Norwegian I think). I wear ASIC super light runners, even in winter rain and mud. We wear them not because they are perfect but because they are the most comfortable for us. In pouring rain his shoes get wet and take ages to dry, mine walk dry very quickly. These days we prefer to sit out the rain if we can. Mud we just cope with. I'm giving you some detail just to reassure people there is no "perfect" one-size-fits-all boot or shoe. What is important is to find something that feels really comfortable for you and then wear it in, well and truly, before you leave home. In fact, if you have an old pair of shoes you walk in at home, consider taking those. And yes, if buying new do get shoes bigger than normal (remembering old shoes are already stretched), do get breathable shoes, do get something with a sole that lasts.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366924433.101471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366924433.101471.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 934
Hi all,

I'm not quite sure why I havn't thought of this before but better late than never!

I'm a veteran of one Camino Frances in summer, one in winter. A Camino Muxia, a Camino Finistere and finally, imminently a Camino Catalan. When I'm not walking the Camino, I lead hikes in the mountains. When I'm not doing that, I work in an outdoor store in the UK fitting boots and socks all day long.

Having learnt what usually works when it comes to footwear combinations I can offer any advice, in the build up to 'Camino season', to those pondering on what to buy and how to make it all work.
There are lots of little tricks you can use to lace boots, deal with changes of temperatures during your walking day, how to prevent 'hot-spots' developing into blisters, taking space out of a pair of boots without compromising the fit, how best to layer your socks and what fabrics are best for different seasons.

Buen Camino
Greg
Hello everyone ... happy new year to all. I have a question regarding footwear. Is there anyone out there who can recommend a brand of shoe/boot for a small but wide foot. I've tried Merrell and these were far too narrow .... I've also tried on a pair of Keen trail shoes. Felt great but no nothing of the brand. Just wondering if anyone out there with a foot like mine can recommend something? Cheers. Trish xx

Keen is a well known quality brand used by many members on the forum. They are known for wide toe boxes like you require.

They make a wide range of models.
If you find a Keen that fits well I would advies going with iT.
Cool thanks for the advice .... I know by reading the forum that whether a shoe or a boot is used is personal choice .... but as a first timer just want to make the right decision. Would a trail shoe cut the mustard in September/October in your opinion?

Kia Ora Trish.

When my feet are measured length wise I am a 8.5. But becauses I have a classic kiwi wide foot I end up getting 10-11's so I can fit them. Yep...I have paddels:D.

I tried almost every thing before my second Camino. (Merrels, keen, soloman) I finally ended up going with the shoes I have worn for over 10 years for walking and tramping and on my previous 160km baby Camino (Brooks Addiction) I have used both leather and mesh versions on the camino. I preferred the leather for more lateral support. They never got hot (I walked aug-sept).

The Shoe clinic, athletes feet, and Smiths Sport shoes often stock all of the above.

But....I found that many of the sales people are runners or trampers and they just didnt understand that I needed a shoe/boot that could handle 30 plus days of walking. It was frustrating. ...and also because I am ...ummm "round"...I found people didnt take me seriously.

If you have wide feet like me...be careful about getting the "one size" bigger that is often recommended.
You may already have enough length to accomodate your width. Fortunately. ..I found this out on a training walk...I had got a shoe that was one full size bigger and I slopped around in it and ended up with the beginings of a blister on my soles due to the friction. It didnt matter what I did with the laces or doubling socks, my feet still slid around.

Socks will also help with the fit. That comes down to personal preference and what your feet like. Mine love a simple Thorlo running sock. I was using a thicker version but found it made my foot feel fat in the shoe.

I would say finding the right footwear and working out how to get from Auckland to StJean were the hardest part of my Camino. Even the decent into Zubiri was easier.....and I hated that. ;)

:)
Hi Lise .... great to hear from you. Thanks for all your info. Spending the morning struggling to get my feet into Merrells at R & R Sport was quite deflating to say the least! My jandals are looking good at this stage! I'll keep persevering and guess I'll know the right shoe when I find it. I'm flying into London 4th November and planning to get a flight to Pamplona on the 5th .... yes it is a bit of a battle coming from our side of the world! A long, long way sitting in that economy seat! :) xx

Hi Lise .... great to hear from you. Thanks for all your info. Spending the morning struggling to get my feet into Merrells at R & R Sport was quite deflating to say the least! My jandals are looking good at this stage! I'll keep persevering and guess I'll know the right shoe when I find it. I'm flying into London 4th November and planning to get a flight to Pamplona on the 5th .... yes it is a bit of a battle coming from our side of the world! A long, long way sitting in that economy seat! :) xx
Kia Ora Trish.

When my feet are measured length wise I am a 8.5. But becauses I have a classic kiwi wide foot I end up getting 10-11's so I can fit them. Yep...I have paddels:D.

I tried almost every thing before my second Camino. (Merrels, keen, soloman) I finally ended up going with the shoes I have worn for over 10 years for walking and tramping and on my previous 160km baby Camino (Brooks Addiction) I have used both leather and mesh versions on the camino. I preferred the leather for more lateral support. They never got hot (I walked aug-sept).

The Shoe clinic, athletes feet, and Smiths Sport shoes often stock all of the above.

But....I found that many of the sales people are runners or trampers and they just didnt understand that I needed a shoe/boot that could handle 30 plus days of walking. It was frustrating. ...and also because I am ...ummm "round"...I found people didnt take me seriously.

If you have wide feet like me...be careful about getting the "one size" bigger that is often recommended.
You may already have enough length to accomodate your width. Fortunately. ..I found this out on a training walk...I had got a shoe that was one full size bigger and I slopped around in it and ended up with the beginings of a blister on my soles due to the friction. It didnt matter what I did with the laces or doubling socks, my feet still slid around.

Socks will also help with the fit. That comes down to personal preference and what your feet like. Mine love a simple Thorlo running sock. I was using a thicker version but found it made my foot feel fat in the shoe.

I would say finding the right footwear and working out how to get from Auckland to StJean were the hardest part of my Camino. Even the decent into Zubiri was easier.....and I hated that. ;)

:)
Oops 4th September ... not November ! x

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hehehe. ..I hear you. I think as Kiwis we are almost born with Jandels on our feet.

I took jandels. ..and ditched them to save weight..but I did take some timberland sandels and they were heaven at the end of the day. It was like walking on pillows.

Another place you might like to try is www.Hikoi.co.nz. Its an online store...you can get a selection of shoes sent to you and try them on at home. They have some great Keen sales too. I know Kiwifamily loves the keen sandels.

I should also mention...that I did find the Keens ok for my feet...but could feel the stones comimg thru the soles. And there are alot of rocks on the path.
And my top suggestion is to get some hikers wool for any blisters or hot spots. Amazing stuff and super light.

I like your flight options! My dream is to one day be able to fly business class to Europe. Oh!!! To be able to lie flat out. :D
Thanks for all that info Lise ... definitely given me something to work with.
As for business class (!), I'll just keep buying lotto!

What's that "hikers wool"? Is that to stop blisters or to treat them ... haven't heard of that. xx

Dear Fatima,

Logically everyone should try on their shoes before purchasing a pair; to not do that would be foolish and the results could be disastrous, both on your feet and definitely on your joie de vivre. Ultimately, you wouldn't be able to concentrate on the purpose of your journey! Or you'd be offering your pain as penance to The Lord! Ouch!!

Check different styles of shoes, try them on, and like it has been pointed out, it has to be the right fit for your feet. I have worn women's shoes that were my size but the wrong fit, I have bought men's and had a better fit, but it wasn't until I tried the Inov8 Roclite 295 - which is actually a unisex model, that I finally had the right shoe for my feet, - and never again have I had any blisters! Can I recommend them? Yes, but will they be the right shoe for you? That, only you could know :)

Oh, and Fatima, do not get discouraged, let your faith guide you! And that idea that you'll be leaving your family behind? You're planning on returning to them, right? You are not leaving them! This is a spiritual journey you have been craving to do, no one but you can make it happen. You are a courageous woman! Many blessings on your Camino. Maybe we'll cross paths along the way :D

Ultreia!

Mary

Hi

Hikers wool is a nz product...although im sure its elsewhere as well.
Its basically sheeps wool.
When you start to feel a hot spot you tear off a bit and put it between your foot and your sock. It acts like a barrier and helps prevent a blister from forming.
It "felts" to your sock. At the end of the day you just pull it off or leave it there. I get a blister under my little toe when I walk...so I wrapped the wool around there. It works a treat. And you dont have to worry about messy plasters or comped. However. .....if you do get a blister you can still use it. But make sure the blister is covered first.

If you google Hikers wool it will pop up. Sorry im on my phone at the moment and dont know how to do a link. I
got mine from Trek n Travel. $10.00 for a bag. But I think Macpac and Bivavacu have it as well.

Kerre Woodham (newstalkzb) used it to climb Mt Klilomanjamo last year. She loved it.

I ended up giving mine to other pilgrams who needed it. A little goes a long way.

Oh Trish......I am so envious you are going. Big sigh....:0)
Thanks for the advice Lise. Another product to add to my list! We've got Macpac down here so will have a look. Kerre Woodham climbed Mt Kilimanjaro? That's a great effort ...
You are welcome to come with me! Have a great week .... xxxx

€46,-
Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg
Hey Greg, thank you for offering this much needed topic. I plan to go and properly fitted but was wondering whether to look for shoes or boots for the CF I am starting this May. I am considering boots due to ankles that are a little weak, and I am concerned about some of the descents. Any brands you can recommend?

Kris

Keen is a well known quality brand used by many members on the forum. They are known for wide toe boxes like you require.

They make a large range of models.
If you find a Keen that fits well I would advise going with it.

Grayland is correct. I too wore Keen Targhee II mid-level boots on my last Camino. They were comfortable right out of the box and needed very little "breaking in."

My primary complaint about this Keen model is that the molded on outsole was "shot" after about 1,000 Km (combined training and Camino Frances). The mid sole - fiber was beginning to wear through in several places - the light grey material was softer and wore faster than the black outsole material. On return, I took some photos with my IPhone and sent them to Keen with an observation that some of the materials in the outsole appeared too be "too soft" and that I found the wear rate unacceptable. They accepted this as a warranty claim and sent me an online credit for what these boots cost. So, I will be buying another pair - for free... ;)

Also, this particular Keen model, and some others are known by Keen to run 1/2 size small. Check on the company web site for any boot you are considering to check if they report true-to-size fitting or something else. For me, while all the numbers, socks, swollen feet etc. (all advice above is correct - mostly Doug's compendium) said I needed a size 12 (46) boot, because boots THAT large come in whole sizes, I had to go with the size 13 (47). But, because Keen said it ran 1/2 size small, it is actually a 12.5 (46.5). In the end, with Cool Max and Smart Wool socks, I ended up in boots 1 1/2 sizes larger than my street shoe size 11 (45). But it is all good. I had not one blister on the entire Camino. :)

I think the takeaway from all this is that it is better to be one-half size larger than one-half size smaller when considering shoes or boots to wear on Camino. Along The Way, I encountered too many people wearing boots and trail shoes the same or only 1/2 size larger than their street shoes having all sorts of toe and front of the foot problems. They also had the "ickiest" toes by comparison.:eek:

Here is another FYI thing many folks might not be aware of. It is possible to have hiking boots resoled. Even many brands and models with molded-on outsoles can be professionally resoled, using the same factory-approved process. Do a Google / Bing search for "Hiking Boot Resoling."

Here in the States, after my return and the Keen warranty claim issue, I ended up mailing my boots to a nearby firm just to see how it would come out. For USD 87, including postage both ways, I received my properly broken-in Keen boots back with a new, factory specification outsole AND a new insole. I replaced the laces locally - one was frayed. So, I plan to wear the very comfortable, resoled boots on my upcoming April - May 2014 Camino. I will save the new ones in reserve.

I hope this helps.

I have worn Keen Targhee II's every single Camino that I've walked and been very happy with them. I'm now thinking about making a change and have ordered a pair of Aetrex Sierra trail shoes just for something different and as a trial of low cut shoes. Has anyone tried these?

€149,-
Hey Greg, thank you for offering this much needed topic. I plan to go and properly fitted but was wondering whether to look for shoes or boots for the CF I am starting this May. I am considering boots due to ankles that are a little weak, and I am concerned about some of the descents. Any brands you can recommend?

Kris
Hi CaminoKris,
I've been away from this topic for a while but saw you asked me specifically so I'll try and advise.

First of all, May is a great time to go, not too wet hopefully (but who knows with European weather these days?!).
I would look towards a soft, mid boot as the heavy duty ones will be overkill and heavy.
As mentioned in this post previously, everyone's feet are completely different but as a rule, wide feet look towards a KEEN soft mid boot or MERRELL MOAB MID in either Gore-Tex or non.
Merrell's standard Moab boot are on the wider side but not overly wide if that makes sense but they also sell them in wide fitting if you can track them down.

Hope that helps.

Hi Greg!
I wore Merrell Moabs (not waterproof) shoes on the CF, one size larger than I needed as advised, with medium thickness wool socks.
They worked out fine and though they did feel and look a bit like snowshoes I got over it.
This time I'm considering same again but in mid boots. Getting a bit older, tin hips, thinking I'd be safer with a little more ankle support.
I note I can get them in wide version and also in half sizes.
Instead of snowshoe size 12, do you reckon 11&1/2 in wide would suffice.
The reason I ask is that I live outside the US, can't try them on here, and have to order by mail.

TIA
Regd
Gerard

Hi Gerard,
I mean, you could try what you suggest but if your body and your feet were good the last time, why risk a change?
It's difficult to find Merrell Moab mid boots WITHOUT waterproof, especially in shops. You , may have to order direct.
If its 70% aesthetics and 30% confidence of your body's weaknesses, I would gather confidence from how the body worked last time.

If you're still intent on going down a half size you can expect about 3cm length loss I would say, not all that much.

I'll use an English saying...'if it aint broke, dont fix it'.
Wear a removable ankle strap for support instead.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked from SJPdP to Santo Domingo in proper walking boots and socks and got really awful blisters. The man who lives under the stairs in the Santo Domingo albergue treated my feet and told me my problem was sweaty feet. I walked the rest of the way in bare feet and sandals and din't get a single blister, but I was warned that if I broke my ankle my insurance might be invalidated as I wasn't wearing proper footwear. I'll be walking Le Puy to Conques in May - boots and blisters, or sandals and no insurance?

Consider lightweight ventilated hiking shoes. Surely an insurance company wouldn't deny your claim if you wore sandals! Thatd be a good fight in court especially when some outdoor companies make specific hiking sandals.

Greg, thanks for all this.

I have had to go with my gut feeling, and really the only shoes my cranky, problematic feet can handle...Moab Ventilators. Though female, I get men's wide. I feel vindicated by your words!

Any firmer upper is too hard on my feet. Goretex was even a killer. The shape of the last works ....quite straight. Enough support but not extremely rigid or constricting, and a low shoe seems to allow a more normal gait and balance.

Of course we all wonder about the issue of wet feet but I can probably work with that compared to the cripple I would be in any other shoes I tried. I have changed to cushier insoles and added a metatarsal "bump" to protect an inflamed joint and feel fairly confident.

Definitely worth a try when people are on the shoe search and they are at a loss.

Hi Gerard,
I mean, you could try what you suggest but if your body and your feet were good the last time, why risk a change?
It's difficult to find Merrell Moab mid boots WITHOUT waterproof, especially in shops. You , may have to order direct.
If its 70% aesthetics and 30% confidence of your body's weaknesses, I would gather confidence from how the body worked last time.

If you're still intent on going down a half size you can expect about 3cm length loss I would say, not all that much.

I'll use an English saying...'if it aint broke, dont fix it'.
Wear a removable ankle strap for support instead.
Much obliged Greg
Regds
Gerard

I enjoy wearing the Original Swat Boots, which come in different models and heights, which I purchased locally (Kingston ON). Here is a link to their US site: http://www.originalswat.com/us_en/chase-9-side-zip-610.html

The ones shown in the link with the zippered side are the ones I wear and absolutely love. They are incredibly light, amazingly comfortable and can be worn on a hike, literally right out of the box. Additionally, I use the SOLE insoles, and they work extremely well. http://www.yoursole.com/ca/mens/footbeds/softec-ultra/

During my Camino last April, I tied my boots at the beginning and never had to re-tie them. Correction, I initially had them tied too tight and loosened them for day 2 and onward…. In addition, during my stops, I could easily slip them off/on and let my feet breathe. Truly one of the best boots I have ever worn.

I realise there’s a debate about boots or shoes, but these worked extremely well for me and their lightness made them feel like shoes. More importantly, they allowed me to navigate rough terrain without challenge and hard roads with maximum support for my back and legs.

As for foot care and socks. I wear a Medium weight Smart Wool hiking sock and just prior to putting my boots on I apply a roll-on product called Blister Bomber: http://blisterbomber.com/ between my toes and around my heels and that’s it. I have never had a blister and my feet are as smooth and as soft as a baby – true :D I had expected to get blisters, but not one!

Cheers and I can’t wait for April to come to start the Camino again!

PS. I wear super light runners after my days walk to roam around towns.

Posts about footwear, weather and albergues in November have been moved to a new thread which can be found here:
Footwear in November
Feel free to continue the discussion there. :)
Thanks,
Susanna/ mod.

Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg
I have read through several posts and I am still uncomfortable about what shoe/boot to choose. I will be leaving for my 2nd Camino in June. My first Camino ended in Leon due to blisters and foot pain. I wore keen targhee mid boots, Vaseline, 2 pairs of socks (liner -cool max and smart wool). After returning home heartbroken I was set on wearing trail shoes next time. I saw a lot of people wearing trail runners and even crosstrainers and they were dancing down the path while I was trudging along. I have a narrow heel and require a wider toe box (blisters formed on both little toes even with the keens wide toe box). I'm fretting about this and only have 2 months to find shoes and break them in..any help would be appreciated. Trail shoes (low top) or mid top boots? I know everyone is different but what have you found to have the best cushion and are trail hikers (low top) less likely to cause blistering? Thank you!

Tammy-- what about Merrell's? Half-size bigger and try-out over the counter insoles until you feel comfortable. A piece of kind advice do not let ambivalency lead you to inaction; TRY and PRACTICE until you find the fit. The foot pain could be that you need to stretch the leg muscles BEFORE & AFTER. You need to learn a stretching routine and see how it feels. I am starting in Sahagun in late June. Hope we can meet up-- but even more hoping for a Buen Camino for you!! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will try out the Merrill, boots or low top trail Merrill? Thanks! Buen Camino to you and maybe our paths will cross!
I have the boots and they work for me. Try researching the instructional videos for hiking boots available on youtube.com. Another tip; if prone to foot problems, consider transporting the bag once in a while. For 6-7 Euros/day companies pick-up your bag by 8am (i.e. Jacotrans have an online list of pick/up-drop-off points) and you only need to tell them the town you will pick it up. They will tell you where in that town they deliver the bags to. A break from the load once in a while may be the difference between been able to go the distance or not....Just a thought.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.