• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone need footwear/foot advice?

Hello.

Just wondering what folks thoughts are on carrying 2 pair of footwear for the Camino??

I will attempt the Camino this coming June and will use Salomon Trail runners with sock liners and trekking specific socks.
I am also considering bringing along my pair of Chaco Sports sandals which I absolutely love, have had then since 2011 and have done a 9 hour Trek in Myanmar with them!! - http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/18619M/0/Mens/Z-1-Unaweep-Sandal?dimensions=0

Thinking that I can rotate between the two when the conditions suit....for hot weather on easy terrain, the Chaco's seem like a good choice.

I welcome your thoughts and ideas on this.

Cheers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just wondering what folks thoughts are on carrying 2 pair of footwear for the Camino??

It is my guess that 99% of the people who have walked the Camino will tell you that bringing an extra pair of comfort footwear is smart; to make the extra pair also walking footwear is even smarter. As per the sandals you depicted, the small pebbles and uneven terrain along the Camino would make an open-toe sandal a bit unpractical, but if you have tried them already on this type terrain and they worked for you, that's all you need.

Buen Camino!!

I have read through several posts and I am still uncomfortable about what shoe/boot to choose. I will be leaving for my 2nd Camino in June. My first Camino ended in Leon due to blisters and foot pain. I wore keen targhee mid boots, Vaseline, 2 pairs of socks (liner -cool max and smart wool). After returning home heartbroken I was set on wearing trail shoes next time. I saw a lot of people wearing trail runners and even crosstrainers and they were dancing down the path while I was trudging along. I have a narrow heel and require a wider toe box (blisters formed on both little toes even with the keens wide toe box). I'm fretting about this and only have 2 months to find shoes and break them in..any help would be appreciated. Trail shoes (low top) or mid top boots? I know everyone is different but what have you found to have the best cushion and are trail hikers (low top) less likely to cause blistering? Thank you!

Hi Tammy,

Try the Nike wildhorse or Nike Terra kiger. These shoes are trail runners and have a wide toebox. Be sure to try a bigger size then your normal size.
I am wearing the wildhorse on my next camino. I had to go up 1 full size from my normal size to get the right size.

I walked the frances last year and had lots of foot and shin troubles. I never hiked (i am a runner) amd got advice from a proffesional store with people who should know, but i found out the hard way that what may be right for most, ks t right for all. I hit myself in the head halfway for not just walking the camino on my trusted runners. I never ever have problems on them. The camino does not require heavy boots. Runners will be just fine.
Whatever you do, forget gore-tex shoes in the hot months. Gore-tex is great in wet conditions, but not hot.

Hope you find the right shoe and enjoy your camino more this time, footwise :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I was in London for 10 days I bought some Karrimor mid 'ladies V weartherlite' walking boots in a sale.

http://store.karrimor.com/karrimor-serenity-mid-event-ladies-walking-boots-186067?colcode=18606705

I was restricted by budget and spent £30 (reduced from £85). I did try on quite a few different makes. I would have liked to buy some Merrils but...

Anyway I wore them inside for a day and immediately comfortable and so walked around London in them. Light, supportive and no hotspots at all, at least on such mild terrain and no rain...but instantly comfortable. I had to go up 2 sizes, from 5 (38) to 7 (40) to allow for the two layers of socks. I wore them every day, including back to the airport and then home to Rome. I was carrying a lot of baggage. So far so good. The Camino will be the real test, so will report back later in the year!

My first Camino ended in Leon due to blisters and foot pain. I wore keen targhee mid boots, Vaseline, 2 pairs of socks (liner -cool max and smart wool). I'm fretting about this and only have 2 months to find shoes and break them in..!

Tammy, I get crippling internal foot pain from most boots. I've learnt the hard way that my feet are just not suited to boots or shoes that don't flex enough. My podiatrist says "I could have told you that!" and explained it to me in terms of my particular feet, metatarsals, how the bones line up and foot strike when I walk, etc. She is the one who suggested I stick to lightweight runners and that's what I now wear. I have a narrow heel but very wide forefoot (like a duck), a high instep - probably quite irrelevant to you.
What I'm trying to say is that everyone's feet are individual. Think about the shoes you already have and what you already know about your feet. Don't buy special shoes/boots if you already have shoes that are comfortable for walking - regardless of whether they are sandals, joggers, or boots - take those.
Our most famous ultra-marathon runner trained in gumboots.

Wow, a few questions to get through! :)
Hot weather will make your feet swell, FACT. After one hour of activity, your feet will swell further. Add a little altitude and they are bigger still. In the morning your feet are teeny, in the afternoon they are at their biggest.

With this in mind, try your shoes on in stores in the afternoon with socks you are likely to wear on the trail (will come to socks shortly).
When trying on, you need to allow for that swelling so as a general rule you should have an index fingers width, with a little resistance, space at your heel.
This should give you enough room.

Good outdoor stores have a gradient ramp you can try out because just walking on a flat shop floor means nothing really. When you use the gradient ramp, it tells you how much you move in the shoe, important for the hills of the camino.
A good shoe will hold your heel comfortably at the rear, and hold your foot firmly across the top with enough room in the toe to wiggle them. This should prevent slippage towards the front of the shoe when walking down that gradient ramp.
Heel slippage is a big no no and toe cramping in the ends will give you those black toenails which are excruciating!

As an example of my own feet, I swell 3/4 of a size on a summer camino.

Greg:
I have a question for you related to how much larger to buy shoes. I just read a blog by a friend thru hiking the AT and he had to just replace his boots one month in with boots 2 sizes larger because of issues with his feet. His partner had to get bigger boots a week before. I read Wild by Michelle Strayed and she had too small boots and all types of problems on her PCT.
So I just bought my new shoes for the Camino at a reputable outdoor dealer. They measured my foot with the Brannock device and I am a 10 with all my hiking socks on (which is my normal street size). The rep puts me in a 10.5 and says this will be fine. I have a finger's distance in the back as you say, but the shoe feels comfortable but not loose. I want to go up a full size to 11 but the rep says that will be too much.
This is the same place that sold my friend and his partner their boots...
How do you tell how much extra space is enough?
I don't want to need new boots when I get to Spain. So far in my training walks they seem fine.

Thanks for your advice.
Rambler

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

I'm not quite sure why I havn't thought of this before but better late than never!

I'm a veteran of one Camino Frances in summer, one in winter. A Camino Muxia, a Camino Finistere and finally, imminently a Camino Catalan. When I'm not walking the Camino, I lead hikes in the mountains. When I'm not doing that, I work in an outdoor store in the UK fitting boots and socks all day long.

Having learnt what usually works when it comes to footwear combinations I can offer any advice, in the build up to 'Camino season', to those pondering on what to buy and how to make it all work.
There are lots of little tricks you can use to lace boots, deal with changes of temperatures during your walking day, how to prevent 'hot-spots' developing into blisters, taking space out of a pair of boots without compromising the fit, how best to layer your socks and what fabrics are best for different seasons.

Feel free to fire away :)
Buen Camino
Greg

Hi Greg - thank you for the willingness to share because I do have a question - I am first timer on Camino (will be on 6/16)
Hi all,

I'm not quite sure why I havn't thought of this before but better late than never!

I'm a veteran of one Camino Frances in summer, one in winter. A Camino Muxia, a Camino Finistere and finally, imminently a Camino Catalan. When I'm not walking the Camino, I lead hikes in the mountains. When I'm not doing that, I work in an outdoor store in the UK fitting boots and socks all day long.

Having learnt what usually works when it comes to footwear combinations I can offer any advice, in the build up to 'Camino season', to those pondering on what to buy and how to make it all work.
There are lots of little tricks you can use to lace boots, deal with changes of temperatures during your walking day, how to prevent 'hot-spots' developing into blisters, taking space out of a pair of boots without compromising the fit, how best to layer your socks and what fabrics are best for different seasons.

Buen Camino
Greg

Hi Greg – yes, I have so many questions about SHOES.
I am getting ready for my first Camino, starting on 6/16. I booked my flights last night so now I am getting into packing and detail planning mode. I am glad that I am limited by weight as to how much to pack and pack only few things.
Now … the questions of the shoes, here there are:
1. Do I really need hiking shoes even though I will be only on Camino for 5-6 days?
2. If I do hiking boots – is there a best brand? I need to purchase ASAP so I can break them in
3. If I don’t need hiking boots – any sneakers suggestions?
4. How about the second pair of shoes? – crocs, flip-flops and/or walking closed toe sandals.
Thanks!

Consider lightweight ventilated hiking shoes. Surely an insurance company wouldn't deny your claim if you wore sandals! Thatd be a good fight in court especially when some outdoor companies make specific hiking sandals.
Hi Greg

Where in the UK are you based, nowhere near Chester I suppose?

Greg:
I have a question for you related to how much larger to buy shoes. I just read a blog by a friend thru hiking the AT and he had to just replace his boots one month in with boots 2 sizes larger because of issues with his feet. His partner had to get bigger boots a week before. I read Wild by Michelle Strayed and she had too small boots and all types of problems on her PCT.
So I just bought my new shoes for the Camino at a reputable outdoor dealer. They measured my foot with the Brannock device and I am a 10 with all my hiking socks on (which is my normal street size). The rep puts me in a 10.5 and says this will be fine. I have a finger's distance in the back as you say, but the shoe feels comfortable but not loose. I want to go up a full size to 11 but the rep says that will be too much.
This is the same place that sold my friend and his partner their boots...
How do you tell how much extra space is enough?
I don't want to need new boots when I get to Spain. So far in my training walks they seem fine.

Thanks for your advice.
Rambler
My feet didn't get measurably longer, just more swollen. Therefore, I looked for shoes that wouldn't bind laterally across the foot as I loosened them. I responded to swelling by loosening the laces, which effectively kept the shoes at the same level of tightness without creating any pressure points.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From days of lurking, i think that almost EVERYONE has questions about feet! Ha!

Here's my question:

What's the best way to strengthen ankles well before the camino? Is lots of walking enough, or are there specific exercises that will make things easier later on?

IMO if you are having problems with weak ankles, the problem is more likely with the arches of your feet and that you would benefit greatly from custom made foot orthotics. They are more expensive than a pair of boots but exercise can't fix feet.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I am biased being a Podiatrist myself, but I think you would do yourself a huge favour to a) talk with a really good hiking store for specific boot advice AND b) see a Podiatrist & have your feet & gait assessed. Not so you can be given orthotics (which are over-prescribed at times) but so you can discuss your plans, any current injuries you might have, injuries you might be prone too & things that can be done to avoid these issues. I would suggest seeing a Podiatrist first & then the hiking store. It's a partnership that should reduce your risk of injuries & make the walk much more enjoyable.

Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg
Thank you for your advise. I do have a question, I have been walking daily since September 2013 with the shoes I plan on wearing on the Camino, Merrill with streetfleet inserts the one that are purchased from a runners store. Now since February this year I think I have developed tendinitis. I have been icing my foot but yet no relief. I think that maybe my shoe is too flexiable. That maybe a stiff sole shoe would be better, like red wings. Your thoughts.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jabaldo. I throw in my comments regards the tendonitis as I'm a Podiatrist. I'd be getting the problem diagnosed properly first. There could be a range of reasons for the pain & so treatment will vary. If it is a tendonitis and you've had it since February (so maybe 3 months ago), the problem may now be more chronic. Ice, rest & anti-inflammatory medication MAY help but I'd be getting it addressed professionally.

Where is the pain & is there a specific activity/movement that creates the pain ie. bending the foot/ankle up or down or ...........

Hi Jabaldo. I throw in my comments regards the tendonitis as I'm a Podiatrist. I'd be getting the problem diagnosed properly first. There could be a range of reasons for the pain & so treatment will vary. If it is a tendonitis and you've had it since February (so maybe 3 months ago), the problem may now be more chronic. Ice, rest & anti-inflammatory medication MAY help but I'd be getting it addressed professionally.

Where is the pain & is there a specific activity/movement that creates the pain ie. bending the foot/ankle up or down or ...........
Thank you for your concern. The problem is on top of my arch, left foot. I did see a podiatrist who told me to ice it and stay off of it. My problem is staying off of it. I don't want to stop my training but I know I have to. I am looking for inserts for my shoes. What do you think of high end off the shelf verses podiatrist custom made.
Again thank you for your input.

Could not help but wonder why so many people on YouTube vids were walking barefoot or in Flip flops. I'm wearing sneakers with Tevas as backup.

€60,-
Thank you for your concern. The problem is on top of my arch, left foot. I did see a podiatrist who told me to ice it and stay off of it. My problem is staying off of it. I don't want to stop my training but I know I have to. I am looking for inserts for my shoes. What do you think of high end off the shelf verses podiatrist custom made.
Again thank you for your input.

Jabaldo, I cant be too specific as I don't fully know your case but broadly we use custom foot orthoses when we want to be specific about design features. We use "off the shelf" orthoses when we don't need specific features. We tend to use custom devices far more for the conditions I see though as EVERY foot is unique, their shape is unique & the requirements of the individual are unique. There are so many factors that lead to a person developing pain/injury including footwear, terrain, muscle strength/balance, conditioning, biomechanics........... When we prescribe an orthosis we take all of this into consideration. We write a prescription for an orthosis that addresses the underling causes & this forms part of an overall treatment plan (which may include footwear changes, stretching/strengthening, walking/running advice....). I never "just prescribe an orthotic".

So for you, I think custom in general is far better, when it is prescribed correctly & forms part of an overall plan. They will last longer, they will address the issue more accurately and SHOULD be more comfortable. I highlight SHOULD because many people on this forum & patients I have seen will say their old orthoses were uncomfortable - that is generally because it wasn't "prescribed" to the specifics of your foot. Too many practitioners see orthotics as a "cash cow" & spend no time in understanding the cause of the persons pain.

This is not a sales pitch!!!

I am passionate about my podiatrist! She keeps me walking. Once you find a good one, never let them go.

Jabaldo, I cant be too specific as I don't fully know your case but broadly we use custom foot orthoses when we want to be specific about design features. We use "off the shelf" orthoses when we don't need specific features. We tend to use custom devices far more for the conditions I see though as EVERY foot is unique, their shape is unique & the requirements of the individual are unique. There are so many factors that lead to a person developing pain/injury including footwear, terrain, muscle strength/balance, conditioning, biomechanics........... When we prescribe an orthosis we take all of this into consideration. We write a prescription for an orthosis that addresses the underling causes & this forms part of an overall treatment plan (which may include footwear changes, stretching/strengthening, walking/running advice....). I never "just prescribe an orthotic".

So for you, I think custom in general is far better, when it is prescribed correctly & forms part of an overall plan. They will last longer, they will address the issue more accurately and SHOULD be more comfortable. I highlight SHOULD because many people on this forum & patients I have seen will say their old orthoses were uncomfortable - that is generally because it wasn't "prescribed" to the specifics of your foot. Too many practitioners see orthotics as a "cash cow" & spend no time in understanding the cause of the persons pain.

Thank you for your concern I do appreciate it. I do agree I have an appointment to see my guy again for custom fit inserts. I have off the shelf ones that he sold me that are great, I am looking forward to the custom ones.
Thank you for your help and advise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2012 I walked from Astorga to Santiago wearing Salomon Elio mid-GTX boots and LOVED them. Lightweight, flexible, fit my foot like a glove. So much that I bought another pair so I wouldn't be without. Now for the past month, I have been walking 40-50 km/week to prepare for the camino in October. I've developed soreness on the ball of one foot at the big-toe joint and am worried about it. The guy who makes my orthotics suggests that I need a stiffer boot (with a shank) so that my sensitive joint doesn't take the brunt of every step. I am not "hard" on my shoes and have favoured flexibility over the clunkiness of a heavier boot. But I am in my 60s and maybe need to do something different. I have a narrow heel, fairly wide foot and high arch, and mobile forefoot. Do you have any advice? Thanks.

In 2012 I walked from Astorga to Santiago wearing Salomon Elio mid-GTX boots and LOVED them. Lightweight, flexible, fit my foot like a glove. So much that I bought another pair so I wouldn't be without. Now for the past month, I have been walking 40-50 km/week to prepare for the camino in October. I've developed soreness on the ball of one foot at the big-toe joint and am worried about it. The guy who makes my orthotics suggests that I need a stiffer boot (with a shank) so that my sensitive joint doesn't take the brunt of every step. I am not "hard" on my shoes and have favoured flexibility over the clunkiness of a heavier boot. But I am in my 60s and maybe need to do something different. I have a narrow heel, fairly wide foot and high arch, and mobile forefoot. Do you have any advice? Thanks.

Hi C clearly - you need to get a diagnosis for the problem before you can treat correctly. The problem maybe within the joint, around the joint or under the joint & the treatment will vary for each. A stiffer soled shoe may help but it wouldn't be my first choice without knowing what the joint (what is called the 1st metatarso-phalangeal joint) is like & the various structures around that joint. You would probably benefit from at least an xray. My advice would be see a general practitioner or even better, a Podiatrist.

My experience with the foot pain like you are having was linked not to boots or socks or in-soles.
It was a result of tight calf muscles that I didn't stretch out after the daily walk.
Tight calves will pull on the achilles tendon and all the other muscles and tendons in the foot.
The natural tendency is to think you have a problem with your footwear, where it is probably the shape of the foot is being distorted.
I should add that I am not an expert in this but this comment is a result of personal observation and the advice of Margie, a physiotherapist from Manhattan USA, who I met while I was trying to massage my extremely sore feet in Vilar de Mazarife, 480km into my Camino.

€60,-
My question has to do with shower shoes and walking around town. Would crocs do double duty for that? I wear a 12 EE so it is hard for me to find shoes.

Thank you,
Marian

My question has to do with shower shoes and walking around town. Would crocs do double duty for that? I wear a 12 EE so it is hard for me to find shoes.

Thank you,
Marian
We always wear Crocs for this, and they are great. I still usually wear a thin pair of socks 'just in case' so as to avoid blisters while 'sightseeing'.
Buen Camino

Oh, great! My trip is not until next year but I am so excited, I am reading everything. I have been thinking about everything having double duty.

Thank you.
Marian

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg

OK. Thanks for offering. I have done 2 shorter Caminos - the Portugues from Valenca do Minho and the Ingles from Ferrol. Both times I wore SmartWool socks for the thickness, rather than the warmth, the thicker the better. The soles of my feet can get very sensitive. I have Morton's Neuroma, which I keep under control with ball of foot pads from my podiatrist. I am planning a Camino Frances from O Cebreiro in October.

My question is: I have read others mention the importance of wearing 2 pairs of socks, but not saying exactly what kind of socks or how to wear them. What is the advantage of wearing 2 pairs of socks, what type of socks would be preferable, and how should they be worn? For example, is it one pair of thin socks next to the foot and a thicker pair on top of them?

I would appreciate an explanation of the 2 sock theory.

Thank you very much!

Ceci

2 pairs of socks? Then i think "they" are talking about sockliners and socks, woolen socks. The liner is there to stop the sock from causimg friction directly on your foot. With a liner, the idea is that the sock will rub against the liner, instead of the bare skin, so you wont get (or get less) blisters.

Ive seen people use simple nylons instead of special sockliners. Same principle, but cheaper.

Please remember, what works for others may not always be a good fit for you. Feet are strange things and no 2 pairs are alike. If this 2 socks "system" works for you, do it, but first try it out before you bring it along.
I tried it and for me it did not help against blisters. I tried just about anything, but keep getting blisters. I also found it to hot (sept camino)
I guess i have feet that just get blisters when walking. No matter what. Thats ok, the blisters dont really bother me or hurt. I just pop 'm, clean 'm, put a plaster on 'm and walk on. They just take up some of my time, but after walking i have plenty of time to take care of them. Don't get me wromg, i would rather not get them. But seeing as i do, i better make the best of a blistery situation.

Last year i walked on boots. Total disaster. Foottroubles like you would not believe. With or without liners, vaseline, talkpowder and every other thing you can think of.
This year i brought 2 pairs of shoes with me. My normal nike running shoes and my nike trailrunning shoes (yes, i like Nike :) ). I brought them both for a test, to see which one would be the best for for walking, 'cause i knew i would never ever wear boots again for a camino.
The winner was the nike zoom wildhorse trailrunners. Lightweight and very flexible and, i think what made it a winner, was the wide toebox. Much Wider then my roadrunners (lunarglide5). The combination of wide toebox and flexibility of the shoe was perfect for me. I just cant handle stiff shoes. I tried to look beyond the brand with the swoosh for trailrunners, but did not find one that was so flexible.

Next camino its back to one pair of shoes again, my beloved and flexible trailrunners :D
Oh and flipflops for showering and walking around town.

My experience with the foot pain like you are having was linked not to boots or socks or in-soles.
It was a result of tight calf muscles that I didn't stretch out after the daily walk.
Tight calves will pull on the achilles tendon and all the other muscles and tendons in the foot...

The podiatrist I saw a couple of months ago (for wound care of a blister from my training that got way out of hand) also brought the importance of keeping calf muscles from tightening during such a long walk, exactly as WineGuy states. (I have a history with plantar fasciitis). So, I've been doing lots of stretching during walks and vigorous massaging post-walk. Hopefully this strategy continues to work as I begin my Camino next week. I hope you find what works for you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2 pairs of socks? Then i think "they" are talking about sockliners and socks, woolen socks. The liner is there to stop the sock from causimg friction directly on your foot. With a liner, the idea is that the sock will rub against the liner, instead of the bare skin, so you wont get (or get less) blisters.

Ive seen people use simple nylons instead of special sockliners. Same principle, but cheaper.

Please remember, what works for others may not always be a good fit for you. Feet are strange things and no 2 pairs are alike. If this 2 socks "system" works for you, do it, but first try it out before you bring it along.
I tried it and for me it did not help against blisters. I tried just about anything, but keep getting blisters. I also found it to hot (sept camino)
I guess i have feet that just get blisters when walking. No matter what. Thats ok, the blisters dont really bother me or hurt. I just pop 'm, clean 'm, put a plaster on 'm and walk on. They just take up some of my time, but after walking i have plenty of time to take care of them. Don't get me wromg, i would rather not get them. But seeing as i do, i better make the best of a blistery situation.

Last year i walked on boots. Total disaster. Foottroubles like you would not believe. With or without liners, vaseline, talkpowder and every other thing you can think of.
This year i brought 2 pairs of shoes with me. My normal nike running shoes and my nike trailrunning shoes (yes, i like Nike :) ). I brought them both for a test, to see which one would be the best for for walking, 'cause i knew i would never ever wear boots again for a camino.
The winner was the nike zoom wildhorse trailrunners. Lightweight and very flexible and, i think what made it a winner, was the wide toebox. Much Wider then my roadrunners (lunarglide5). The combination of wide toebox and flexibility of the shoe was perfect for me. I just cant handle stiff shoes. I tried to look beyond the brand with the swoosh for trailrunners, but did not find one that was so flexible.

Next camino its back to one pair of shoes again, my beloved and flexible trailrunners :D
Oh and flipflops for showering and walking around town.

Well, as you said, feet are strange things, and mine are stranger than many, with Morton's neuroma, and they are flat, very wide feet. I thank you for your input. It has made me think that I should not mess with what it working and just wear the waterproof boots I used for the first 2 Caminos. I will be walking a similar distance, all within Galicia, which may mean heavy rain at times. I just do the Vaseline and heavy sock combo with the waterproof boots, and I am fine. I only ever got one blister and that was when I did not apply Vaseline before heading out on our first night of the Ingles. We were trying to walk some of the distance planned for the next day to get ahead of the game. I thought, because we were told, that the town we were walking to was at about 6K distance, when it was really at least 20K. We found the Camino Ingles very unfriendly, including vandalized way markers, but that's for another space. Not putting on the Vaseline was a mistake. It's the only blister I have ever had with my waterproof boots. My friend chose lighter, water-resistant boots, and had lots of blisters. She just dealt with the blisters and soldiered on. However, when we had to walk through an entire day douwnpour, my feet remained dry and hers did not. We like the mid height boots to keep us from twisting an ankle on uneven surfaces. We're not as young as we used to be and would hate to have to stop walking because of a twisted ankle. Buen Camino to all!

Well I always wear 2 pairs of socks to avoid blisters forming. A thin coolmax or tights cut off at the foot and then a merino wool sock of whatever thickness suits the temperature. Works for me. ....but everyone is different:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took a tube of lanacane anti friction gel with me last year to use on my feet before I put my socks on. Once this ran out I used Vaseline, but found this a bit messy and sticky in comparison.

I'd use very thin toe socks as my liners with a pair of lightweight running socks over the top. A very breathable combo!

I walked in a pair of The North Face Hedgehog III walking shoes.

Each evening I'd then clean my feet with antiseptic fluid (dettol) after my shower to make sure they were really clean before slipping into a pair of flip flops.

Whenever I stopped halfway through the day I'd replace the liner socks for a clean pair, remembering to clean my feet with the dettol and use the gel before I put my socks on.

Some might see this as overdoing it slightly, but I managed 500 miles with only two tiny blisters on the outside of my right heel.

Can I ask a silly question?
Do you apply Vaseline all over your foot or just between the toes?
Wouldn't it melt and be absorbed by your socks and shoes?
Does it stop your feet from breathing?

Can I ask a silly question?
Do you apply Vaseline all over your foot or just between the toes?
Wouldn't it melt and be absorbed by your socks and shoes?
Does it stop your feet from breathing?

I'd recommend lanacane anti-friction cream as opposed to Vaseline, precisely because it leaves no residue while your feet do become noticeably smoother to the touch. I moved onto vaseline as I'd run out of lanacane and couldn't find any more in Spain. If you're going to use vaseline, then only use a small amount, but I'd say use it all over as you can get blisters anywhere your shoes can rub.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hey Mark
It is me again. I am seeing my podiatrist next week for my foot has gotten worse. The pain I think tendonitis seem to lesson and then just yesterday came back. I have slowed up on the walking and yet yesterday I walk 5 miles. The two are associated. If I can not walk 5 miles I have serious problems. Do you have any suggestion for when I am with my Dr. what we should be discussing?

I'm starting to feel like a hobbit in my search to find a pair of boots that fit properly. After wearing a pair from New Balance around the office I found they were too tight. I have asked them too ship another pair but that will take a few weeks. Also tried a pair from Salomon but again, not quite wide enough. At this rate I will be walking barefoot like Frodo.

I'm starting to feel like a hobbit in my search to find a pair of boots that fit properly. After wearing a pair from New Balance around the office I found they were too tight. I have asked them too ship another pair but that will take a few weeks. Also tried a pair from Salomon but again, not quite wide enough. At this rate I will be walking barefoot like Frodo.

Dave, do you own a pair of shoes that are comfortable and reasonably sturdy? Why not take them? My spouse walks the Camino in ordinary casual shoes, not even walking shoes. He used to walk in boots (blisters, hot, heavy), then athletic shoes (New Balance) but found his feet were cramped after some kilometres and not happy, put on the ordinary shoes he had in the pack for post Camino - and has worn them walking ever since.

I wear ordinary ASIC runners because that's what suits my feet.

Barefoot is not such a bad idea. I've seen very happy pilgrims walking in sandals, and a barefooted walker who reckoned it was the only way to go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because if we don't have time to find the right pair of shoes/boots, we'll have time to toughen up our feet to walk barefoot?! ;)

I think we're missing the most admirable qualities of hobbits by focusing on their feet . . . Everyone knows it's second breakfast (desaydos?) and the love of pipe-weed (preferably Longbottom Leaf or Old Toby).

Last edited:
@Kanga - Most
Dave, do you own a pair of shoes that are comfortable and reasonably sturdy? Why not take them? My spouse walks the Camino in ordinary casual shoes, not even walking shoes. He used to walk in boots (blisters, hot, heavy), then athletic shoes (New Balance) but found his feet were cramped after some kilometres and not happy, put on the ordinary shoes he had in the pack for post Camino - and has worn them walking ever since.

I wear ordinary ASIC runners because that's what suits my feet.

I don't have any suitable shoes of any kind right now for this kind of walk. New Balance used to be my go-to shop because of my wide feet but since they've changed their lasts it's tougher to find anything that will fit.

@Kanga - Most

I don't have any suitable shoes of any kind right now for this kind of walk. New Balance used to be my go-to shop because of my wide feet but since they've changed their lasts it's tougher to find anything that will fit.

It's a shame the last has been discontinued. I've heard a few New Balance enthusiasts are not happy with recent releases. It happens to all makes; Asics no longer make my old favourites so I'm having to try new ones. Sounds like you need a shoe store that specialises in wide fittings. Have you tried Asics GT 2000 in a 4E fitting? Go up 2 sizes because I find Asics run a bit small. I'd also try Propet, Brooks, Saucony and Mizuno - and seek out some of the German walking shoes (Seibel for instance) - they are often wide.

Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll be heading out June 22 from SJPdP with Merrell Protera. Just not sure if it will be the low blue, low orange, or mid grey. Me thinks it will be the newest blues, but the orange are calling me
too.

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402275475.573219.jpg

Dave, I thought I would be barefoot on the Camino too but I kissed enough frogs but finally ended up with shoes that work. I tried on probably 20 pairs of shoes/boots and bought about 6, ending up returning all but 1. I started out with boots because so many people recommended them but ended up with Brooks Cascadia trail runners as the boots and hiking shoes hurt my Achilles. Hang in there and I know you'll find some.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ha ha. I was hoping I'd get a suggestion or two. That'll be blue 0, orange 1.

:)

Dave, I thought I would be barefoot on the Camino too but I kissed enough frogs but finally ended up with shoes that work. I tried on probably 20 pairs of shoes/boots and bought about 6, ending up returning all but 1. I started out with boots because so many people recommended them but ended up with Brooks Cascadia trail runners as the boots and hiking shoes hurt my Achilles. Hang in there and I know you'll find some.

Thanks Alyssa. My hunt continued on Saturday but the "magic" shoes are proving to be elusive. Ah well....there's always next weekend.

Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg
Hi Greg...you look very much like the guy in the outdoor shop in Brecon where I went to look for a pack for the Camino Frances today. I am leaving in a couple of weeks and to be honest I am really scared. I hike a lot in the Brecons etc but I have always been a bit of a wimp...always had somebody else to do ... so this is my attempt at being a bit more independent. Going through all the different posts there is a lot of conflicting advice regarding all aspects of the undertaking. However I have decided not to buy a guide book, not to get worried about keeping to some kind of schedule etc. I have decided to but the 40 litre Montane pack for the trip. Do you think this is big enough and a good make? Footwear seems to throw up all sorts of opinions. I have thought about buying a pair of British army issue desert campaign boots...they are light, probably breathable but not waterproof. They are however only £40. Then I read a lot of people saying they wish they had worn walking sandles the whole time. What in your opinion is the best footwear? Finally...poncho or rain jacket and trousers.? Sorry for so many questions... but you are experienced!
Cheers, Tom

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Tom Omen, there are two observations I would make about your post:
  1. if you specifically want Greg to answer, and are not seeking a general response, use the Conversation function
  2. those of us with some experience know that there is no simple single answer to what works best. Many things work, and many things that work for some won't work that well for others.
It seems to me that it is in the nature of this forum to reveal good ways of doing things that have worked well. It does not provide a pilgrim's equivalent to a Grand Unified Theory of Everything! You will need to sort out which advice you follow by yourself.

HI am leaving in a couple of weeks and to be honest I am really scared. I have decided to but the 40 litre Montane pack for the trip. Do you think this is big enough and a good make? Footwear seems to throw up all sorts of opinions. I have thought about buying a pair of British army issue desert campaign boots...they are light, probably breathable but not waterproof. They are however only £40. Then I read a lot of people saying they wish they had worn walking sandles the whole time. What in your opinion is the best footwear? Finally...poncho or rain jacket and trousers.? Sorry for so many questions... but you are experienced!
Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. Your anxiety is something most of us have experienced. It's a bit like stage fright - once you actually start walking you will be fine.
You are right about the differing opinions but that is because different things suit different people. One size does not fit all. Just be reassured that if anything proves to be a total disaster you can always find a replacement in Spain. For example, my first pack was way too big and heavy. I put up with it until Leon, then posted it to Santiago and bought a lightweight Spanish one.
I can't comment in regard to the pack you are considering because I don't know it.
Just try different packs on in the shop, with weight, and see how each feels. There are a few threads in this forum on packs you should read - the most popular ones are pretty good. Do a search for "packs" - lots will come up.
As for footwear - what do you wear currently when you go walking? Is there any reason to change? Nothing special is required for the Camino - it is not the Himalayas. If you do need to buy footwear you don't have much time to break in something new so it needs to be comfortable out of the box. I've gone from boots to lightweight runners and now I'm thinking about sandals - so you know where I stand! But try some things on and see how they feel.
Anything expensive try to buy "on approval" - take it home on condition you can bring it back in a week (obviously in as new condition).
If it is all "too much" just take what you have, and start walking with the intension of sorting out things as you go.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
@Tom Omen, there are two observations I would make about your post:
  1. if you specifically want Greg to answer, and are not seeking a general response, use the Conversation function
  2. those of us with some experience know that there is no simple single answer to what works best. Many things work, and many things that work for some won't work that well for others.
It seems to me that it is in the nature of this forum to reveal good ways of doing things that have worked well. It does not provide a pilgrim's equivalent to a Grand Unified Theory of Everything! You will need to sort out which advice you follow by yourself.
Doesn't everybody follow what advise they are given by themselves? I had no intention to do otherwise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would just add that if you are heavy a mid boot will provide some torsional strength to the sole as the way is a bit rocky in many places. A nice gel insole helps as well:) but remember to buy a size or two bigger if that's the case:)

Hi Greg and all
When I started wearing my Salomon Conquest Gortex hikers they were great. Now when I do longer hikes (4-5 hrs) I get a rash (bright red) on the tops of both feet as well as on the back of my legs above the boot. Doc says I’m allergic which I’ve never been in my life. Prescription cream doesn’t help the rash. I don’t get the rash with shorter walks so I was thinking it might be a heat rash. That’s my guess. Has anyone had similar experience? I’ve tried different socks: Moreno wool, smart wool, polyester, bamboo and with all get the rash. Has anyone had similar experience? Greg have you heard of this? Altho I’ve got an narrow ankle, I tie my hikers up using the top loop first which snugs the ankle. Its somewhat snug but its still a bit loose. Should I be worried?

Hi Greg and all
When I started wearing my Salomon Conquest Gortex hikers they were great. Now when I do longer hikes (4-5 hrs) I get a rash (bright red) on the tops of both feet as well as on the back of my legs above the boot. Doc says I’m allergic which I’ve never been in my life. Prescription cream doesn’t help the rash. I don’t get the rash with shorter walks so I was thinking it might be a heat rash. That’s my guess. Has anyone had similar experience? I’ve tried different socks: Moreno wool, smart wool, polyester, bamboo and with all get the rash. Has anyone had similar experience? Greg have you heard of this? Altho I’ve got an narrow ankle, I tie my hikers up using the top loop first which snugs the ankle. Its somewhat snug but its still a bit loose. Should I be worried?
Try the same hikes in a non-Gortex hiker. I'm betting heat rash and that the problem isn't with your socks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, a few questions to get through! :)
Before I answer specifics, sojourner is correct in that weight has something to do with keeping feet happy.
Think about it, the only part of your body that is in contact with the ground is those two things at the end of your legs supporting all the weight of your body and that pack.
Packing light gives your feet a fighting chance.

I also want to say that I've met people on the camino in huge boots, hiking shoes, trainers, minimal shoes AND bare footed. The people who seemed to have the most issues were the boot brigade. Less is more in this case.

Some of you have asked for specific shoes and through trial and error I would walk every spring/summer/autumn camino in men's Merrell's Moab ventilator shoes.
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15390M/30054/Mens/Moab-Ventilator
Relatively light weight, flexible, non waterproof, super comfortable straight from the box and have the Vibram sole, a hard wearing, grippier rubber, which will last about 1000 miles.

It looks like i'm promoting Merrell here, but serisouly, IMHO they make perfect camino shoes and are available worldwide.
For women, their Avian light, non gore tex is super lightweight, supportive along the sole, has air cushioning and that vibram sole but is also flexible.
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/23470W/0/Womens/Avian-Light-Leather

If you have narrow feet, try Asolo, Scarpa and Salomon.
If you have wider feet try anything from Meindl.

If you are heading out in winter then a boot then becomes useful with its higher ankle support, waterproofing and stability in snowy conditions.

Bare in mind as soon as you add a waterproof, physical membrane like gore-tex into a shoe, you lose a lot of breathability even though these membranes claim to breathe, nothing can beat a ventilated shoe.

Do some weather research and see how many days its likely to rain on your chosen camino month and decide which route to take, waterproof or not.

Hot weather will make your feet swell, FACT. After one hour of activity, your feet will swell further. Add a little altitude and they are bigger still. In the morning your feet are teeny, in the afternoon they are at their biggest.

With this in mind, try your shoes on in stores in the afternoon with socks you are likely to wear on the trail (will come to socks shortly).
When trying on, you need to allow for that swelling so as a general rule you should have an index fingers width, with a little resistance, space at your heel.
This should give you enough room.

Good outdoor stores have a gradient ramp you can try out because just walking on a flat shop floor means nothing really. When you use the gradient ramp, it tells you how much you move in the shoe, important for the hills of the camino.
A good shoe will hold your heel comfortably at the rear, and hold your foot firmly across the top with enough room in the toe to wiggle them. This should prevent slippage towards the front of the shoe when walking down that gradient ramp.
Heel slippage is a big no no and toe cramping in the ends will give you those black toenails which are excruciating!

As an example of my own feet, I swell 3/4 of a size on a summer camino.

I don't use any cream, just tiger balm at the end of every day to decrease any inflammation and I massage it in firmly...my feet love me for it!
Personally I detest compeed. It is usually used by people after they have a blister. This means that it doesn't allow the blister to air or to heal fast. Oh and not forgetting the pain when you try and rip that compeed off of an open blister! ouch.

Prevention is the one and only key to being blister free.

This is where socks come in.
You've heard of the brand '1000 mile' socks?
Well, and again this is my educated opinion only, they are problematic.
Their trick is that they are double layered with the thinking that the two layers rub against each other while walking, while traditional socks will rub against your skin and potentially cause abrasions (blisters).
They also mean that if your feet get too hot, there's nothing you can do about it, your stuck with double layers.

Two layers are the way to go but its the density and materials you need to concentrate on.

Bridgedale do a thin, COOLMAX material sock. (coolmax is the independent technology you need to look for in any brand of liner sock).
http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-coolmax-liner-everyday-outdoors-1

This coolmax, close to the skin, wicks away the moisture your feet will produce, keeping the skin dry.
Remember moist skin + abrasion = blister.

Look at the size range on the packaging of all socks.
If you are a size 6 ladies shoe and the socks come in ranges of 3-5.5 and 6-8, go for the smaller range. Socks stretch and as long as the heel of the sock fits the heel of your foot then that's what we need. If you were to take a jump to the next size range, it will not fit your foot snugly, preventing the coolmax to work effectively, and will be more prone to slipping down as they will be looser.

The next layer is a midweight, preferably with a percentage of Merino wool, hiking sock with cusioning on the heel, balls of the feet and ankle.
Here's a female's sock from Bridgedale again.
http://www.bridgedale.com/women-s-trail-diva-women-s-coolfusion-2

Notice the padding on the aforementioned areas and the elasticity on the ankle and around the main body of the foot.
This elastic prevents slippage.
The merino wool gives unparalleled blister prevention, a little warmth and cushioning for the millions of steps you'll take en-route.

This type of sock also allows the moisture that the liner socks have absorbed, to ventilate out into your shoe. If you had a waterproof shoe, this is where most of the moisture would stay.

Bridgedale guarantee most of their socks for 3 years which for socks, is immense and a show of how good they are. They are made in Britain and cost about $20 or £13.

I would take two pairs of liners and two pairs of midweights, alternating each day.

You should take your shoes and socks off at EVERY opportunity. Whenever you see a lake, pond, stream, irrigation canal...wherever.
The cold water takes the swelling down and soothes....nothing beats that feeling when on the camino so treat yourself and your feet to it as much as you can :)

IMPORTANT....make sure to dry your feet (and between your toes) thoroughly before putting your socks back on. Remember, moist feet + abrasion = blisters!
Leave your socks laid out on the ground and let the sun dry them out for a few minutes and when you slip them on again, it'll be like you've started walking afresh.

Now, everyone has their own tips for blister prevention.
Using the above advise and several test runs, you should find out what works out for you.

Give yourself options is my biggest piece of advice.
By that I mean....a pair of 1000 mile, double layer socks gives you one single option while using 2 separate pairs of specific socks, gives you the chance to swap them around, mix and match and take a layer away if necessary.

Take ventilated, non waterproof shoes if possible. You could always buy waterproof socks for rainy days. But a gore-tex shoe is waterproof for those 500 miles and if you get not one single day of rain....they are pointless.
I'd rather have 4 days of wet feet over 33 days of hot, blistered feet!

My final, cheeky little secret for blister prevention is this.
On day one, out of St Jean Pied de Port, into the Pyrenees, you'll see sheep wool snagged on the barbed wire fences.
Collect a handful. By the time you reach the top of the pass you'll most likely have a hot-spot on your heel. This is the first stage of a blister.

Take a seat, take shoes and socks off, dry the skin and take out a small clump of clean wool.
Shape it into a 2p (or any coin shape) flatten it out and stick it to the hot-spot with light surgical tape. That blister will never come!
Socks back on, shoes back on and get walking. It acts as a free, natural and readily available Merino blister patch ;-)

I hope that's all easy enough to follow.

Buen Camino
I went all the outdoor shops in Bristol yesterday to not up. I have to say it was frightening the lack of knowledge displayed by the members of staff in all of them. Thankfully I met a young assistant called...James... and he had his noodle on. I tried quite a few types but have ended up buying the Moab ventilator. I don't like the look of them but they are very comfortable and I sense they could get me there if I uphold my side of the bargain. I may take a pair of sandals as well. I will take a 10 mile hike today, see how we go. Surely if worst happens you can buy footwear in Spain?

Koilife the thought of breaking in another pair of boots (not to mention the $$) turns me cold. I'm wondering what would happen if I just wore the Salomoms on the Camino and dealt with the rash. The rash does not hurt nor is it itchy. I would guess that after walking day after day it would be a very pretty red.

Can you recommend good insoles to add to my Zamberlan light hiking boots? During my fitting I was told I needed the boot to keep my foot from preessing my toes forward when I walk. I have several different socks and liner combinations to try, but was considering the superfeet green insoles. Because I have such foot problems, with my FredFlintstone feet, he also recommended I bring a light trail shoe and alternate. But I am very small and keeping my pack ultralight is also a concern.
Thank you for all of the great input on this forum.

As an aside, On the advice of an orthopedist I have been wearing rocker sole shoes for years--way before the "fit" fad and nearly cried when MBT went bankrupt. Since I began wearing them, I haven't been happy with any other kind of shoe.

He also steered me to the only flip flops I can wear which are Montrails that you put in the oven to mold to your foot.

€60,-
If you mean that your foot slides forward allowing your toes to bang against the boot then tying technique can help. Tie the boot once across at instep level (where the 'loops' stop) then use the hooks but pass the lace over the top hooks rather than under. Tie them under the hook level and retie before going downhill. They should be tight enough to stop slipping but not uncomfortable. You can do this whether you have inserts or not. Somewhere there is a whole section on tying laces with various ideas similar to ours.
Buen Camino

Absolutely support the suggestion to consider different lace tying technique. I have a pair of boots which I considered ok, but in reality I was putting on a brave face. Saw a YouTube video, changed technique, perfect fit, not a problem in 800kms, feet in better condition at end than at beginning.

Firstly congratulations on a great thread. i have always had ankle support on my boots and they have saved me 4 times. Twice I have slipped on clay moss and ended up uside down the bottom of a steep ascent. I lost my feet on wet granite moss very slippery and ended up bruised down the bottom of a granite mountain.

On the camino I replaced my zamberlan boots for some heavy aku trekkers. They were the only boots available in my size in leon. They have been great.

Post camino I was in Amsterdam, and a girl crashed into me at a red bicycle light, her front tyre thumped into the back of my ankle. She also she crashed into two other cyclists, there bikes got damaged but physically they were unscathed.

Luckily I had my thick Aku ankle protection boots on which softened the blow. The ankle is still sore 5 days later, had I not had that, the injury would have been worse. So yes as much as I like the beautiful salomon trekking runners, i am still going to stick with chunky ankle support. Ankle support has protected my ankles from sprains, torn ligaments, and even a damaged ankle joint from a bicycle accident.

I also got the Lurbell socks, they are really great. i have the merino smart wool socks as well. I prefer the lurbell fitted socks, my feet do not seem to swell as much in them.

Great thread. So I am looking at my aku tread, it has a vibram and the sole is showing wear.

So you say 1600 km for a vibram. I think if I do the camino again I will have to replace the boots again.

Is there harder wearing soles, as having to replace my zamberlans last time was an expensive hassle?

image.jpg

My new boots from leon have a new mid sole technology, i do not know what this is but the boots worked well for me and protected me from ankle damage not related to the camino.

image.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg
Not sure if this thread is still active. I just bought "Darn Tough" merino wool socks. I've been told you don't need a liner with them because they fit so snuggly. Do you have any opinion on this brand?

There is no rule about what sock combination will work for you. I have some Darn Tough socks which I successfully wear with no liner. Give them a try and see how they are. Maybe you'll need something different - it also depends on the fit of your shoe, on your foot.

I second that. Superfeet or softer, bouncier sorbathane double strike insoles.
I agree on the Superfeet. I also recommend SOLE brand; you place these in your oven at a low temperature until a dot changes color, then put them in your shoe or boot and walk around a bit and they conform to your personal foot profile -- sort of like custom ski boot insoles. Both Superfeet and SOLE are available in different arch configurations.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi everyone....apologies on my disappearance, I have been busy hiking in various countries around the world and have not received alerts to posts on this thread.
I would say that a lot of questions sent my way have already been answered and your Caminos already walked but to answer cclara's question, I've not heard of 'Darn Tough' socks but try and forget the sales pitch and concentrate on what you want these socks to do.
Were you told that you don't need a liner sock by the sales assistant? In my opinion that's irresponsible advice.

The principle behind wearing two pairs is that with a snug fitting coolmax liner sock against your skin taking the moisture away and a second pair of midweight merino socks to provide a second layer to absorb friction and providing cushioning it eliminates the main causes of blisters.
You now own a single layer of thick pair of socks which will no doubt be too hot for the Spanish weather.

Hi
Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg
Greg

Hi Greg
This is a basic question .. My laces constantly work loose.. Any suggestions?
Hi everyone....apologies on my disappearance, I have been busy hiking in various countries around the world and have not received alerts to posts on this thread.
I would say that a lot of questions sent my way have already been answered and your Caminos already walked but to answer cclara's question, I've not heard of 'Darn Tough' socks but try and forget the sales pitch and concentrate on what you want these socks to do.
Were you told that you don't need a liner sock by the sales assistant? In my opinion that's irresponsible advice.

The principle behind wearing two pairs is that with a snug fitting coolmax liner sock against your skin taking the moisture away and a second pair of midweight merino socks to provide a second layer to absorb friction and providing cushioning it eliminates the main causes of blisters.
You now own a single layer of thick pair of socks which will no doubt be too hot for the Spanish weather.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use a simple double lock lace technique, which is similar to the way you would normally tie a shoe, only add another twist. This is a good video to watch, which demonstrates several good techniques and she starts with the lock-lace I mentioned. HTHs, Cheers, Dave

Some of you have asked for specific shoes and through trial and error I would walk every spring/summer/autumn camino in men's Merrell's Moab ventilator shoes.
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15390M/30054/Mens/Moab-Ventilator
Relatively light weight, flexible, non waterproof, super comfortable straight from the box and have the Vibram sole, a hard wearing, grippier rubber, which will last about 1000 miles.

Well, thanks for validating my default choice. I walk about 1500 miles a year in Merrell Moabs at home in Texas. I figured I needed something fancier on the Camino but apparently not.

Now my decision is, waterproof Moabs or non-waterproof? I bought and returned a waterproof pair, definitely too sweaty for Texas, but I was thinking that a March Camino might call for Gore-Tex. I see that opinions are divided (surprise). Maybe I'll split the difference and invest in one pair of waterproof socks?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi Greg,
I need your advise on footwear, and I was hoping you still have time to answer questions.good to see you back.
was looking for
Hi all,

Buen Camino
Greg

Hi Greg,
I am glade you are back and I hope you have time to answer some questions , then I do , do need your advise on footwear.please. After it read the tread , I went to look for Moab Ventilator Merrell shoe , but they only have them for man , so I tried Azura and some others, but it looks like they are a bit tide for me. I will walk / hope so / the Camino Frances in September this year, and taking your advise, want to bay none waterproof shoes .
Would you please recommend any other woman Merrell shoes for my Camino.
Thank you , and Buen Camino,
Silvia

I will try out the Merrill, boots or low top trail Merrill? Thanks! Buen Camino to you and maybe our paths will cross!
Brewster Washington! Small world. I was there a couple of months ago for work. Would love to hear how things worked out w the Merrill's. That is what I'm leaning toward as well.

Hi Greg. I am walking my first Camino in September and can't decide on footwear. Like most Kiwis, I have very broad feet, my ASIC running shoes are very comfortable and wide. Would they be suitable you think?

Brewster Washington! Small world. I was there a couple of months ago for work. Would love to hear how things worked out w the Merrill's. That is what I'm leaning toward as well.
Small indeed / the world/, I will let you know if I get the Merrells and how they are. But as they say...all very personal,what works for you, might not work for me and so on.but we will get there and walk the Way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Update on Merrell Moabs: I learned to my surprise that there are actually three variations! There are regular non-waterproof Ventilators, there's the original Gore-Tex model, and there's the "waterproof" model at REI. REI doesn't carry the Gore-Tex one. Online reviewers are highly critical of the REI "waterproof" version, saying it is both hotter and less waterproof than Gore-Tex. I ordered Gore-Tex Moabs from Amazon and so far so good.

I'm a big fan of my Merrell moab ventilators. I wear them hiking as well as for wilderness canoeing. With canoeing I'm often walking knee deep in water and they drain immediately and still offer excellent support even when wet. I usually get two years use out of them before they wear out. Very comfortable boots.

I just bought three pair for my children and myself. It was interesting to note that the local shoe store sold them for $20 a pair less than they were available for on line. I don't know whether that is in order to protect their B&M dealers or what.

Anyway, perfect boot, great ankle support with the mid-height, and very comfy. Because they're mainly fabric rather than leather they don't need an extensive break-in process. More like running shoes or trail shoes.

I'm a big fan of my Merrell moab ventilators. I wear them hiking as well as for wilderness canoeing. With canoeing I'm often walking knee deep in water and they drain immediately and still offer excellent support even when wet. I usually get two years use out of them before they wear out. Very comfortable boots.

I just bought three pair for my children and myself. It was interesting to note that the local shoe store sold them for $20 a pair less than they were available for on line. I don't know whether that is in order to protect their B&M dealers or what.

Anyway, perfect boot, great ankle support with the mid-height, and very comfy. Because they're mainly fabric rather than leather they don't need an extensive break-in process. More like running shoes or trail shoes.
Thanks for sharing your experience Sakami.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have those same shoes and I'm nervous about them.... they fit great and everything, but my feet sweat in them. Is that going to be a problem? Should I get a different pair of shoes?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.