• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Anyone Out There?

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
If anyone who is currently walking the Norte route sees this post, would you please take a few minutes to reply and tell us how busy or not the Norte route is right now? I realize this situation can change quickly. Just wondering if there's been any issues with enough room at the alberques.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm on the Norte now- about 2 days from Bilbao. It's dead empty. Every albergue I've slept in was a quarter full. I've also only met 2 other English speakers. Kinda lonely!!
Sally, do you have any plans to post here from Bilbao on? I'll be there in a week and have enjoyed hearing how people ahead are getting along. And Irishgurrrl has some good information in the threads about the Primitivo that I think she's just finishing.
Hope you've seen beautiful things and that a few more English speakers show up eventually! Thanks, Beth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First, thanks for the update, Sally.

Beth, are you starting in Bilbao in a week or in Irun in a week? Just wondering as I am starting in Irun next week on the 18th.

Marcella

First, thanks for the update, Sally.

Beth, are you starting in Bilbao in a week or in Irun in a week? Just wondering as I am starting in Irun next week on the 18th.

Marcella
Marcella, I'm starting out from Bilbao on the 19th and am jumping ahead to the coast in Pobena that same day. Sounds like we'll be about 4 days apart. If you'd like, we can stay in touch by this thread and check in with each other. I'm getting eager to get going! Beth (Pennsylvania)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Marcella, I'm starting out from Bilbao on the 19th and am jumping ahead to the coast in Pobena that same day by cercanias and then bus. Sounds like we'll be about 4 days apart. If you'd like, we can stay in touch by this thread and check in with each other. You'll get to see the most spectacular part between Irun and Bilbao. I'm getting eager to get going! Beth (Pennsylvania)
Sounds like a plan. Buen Camino, Beth.

I'm on the Norte now- about 2 days from Bilbao. It's dead empty. Every albergue I've slept in was a quarter full. I've also only met 2 other English speakers. Kinda lonely!!
Sally, I was wondering how you are getting along and whether you would recommend the Norte for views after Bilbao and for places to stay away from the tourist areas. Hope you are well and that a few English speakers have turned up by now, if you're still on the Norte!

Sally, I was wondering how you are getting along and whether you would recommend the Norte for views after Bilbao and for places to stay away from the tourist areas. Hope you are well and that a few English speakers have turned up by now, if you're still on the Norte!
Hi there! Yup I'm still out here. It's been pretty, but truth be told there is a lot of pavement after Bilbao. It's been ok, but I wont return for a 2nd time! Much more crowded since Bilbao. Every albergue is full by 5pm. This is kinda vague but ask me more specifics if you like! :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there! Yup I'm still out here. It's been pretty, but truth be told there is a lot of pavement after Bilbao. It's been ok, but I wont return for a 2nd time! Much more crowded since Bilbao. Every albergue is full by 5pm. This is kinda vague but ask me more specifics if you like! :)
Thank you so much for responding, Sally! I got to Madrid and then had to come back home unexpectedly, and was starting to rethink the route for later this summer. I don't mind the pavement walking much if the scenery is great and there isn't trouble finding lodging (I like to walk into the afternoon unless am someplace interesting) but was hoping to avoid a great deal of traffic and tourist towns. You must be pretty far along by now? I'll be happy to hear any details you want to share - good, bad or indifferent. Are you having to limit your walking day to be sure to get a bed? And although it sounds like the more spectacular scenery is before Bilbao, it sounds like there is some rewarding scenery after Bilbao if you found it pretty? The best to you for the rest of your Camino!

How are you all enjoying the Norte? We are sitting at home, dreaming of walking with you!

Hi Kathy-

I am having a great time - thanks for asking.

As you well know the scenery is outstanding. The weather for the most part has been cooperating. There are definitely a lot of people out here walking based on alberque occupancy. Don't usually see too many during the day though.

If you would like to relive it even more I created a FB page for the trip - 2017 El Camino de Norte @pinkwadingbirdmpt. If I was more tech adept I would know how to copy and paste the link on my smartphone, but alas that is not the case.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you I will check it out! Continued success!

Hi Kathy-

I am having a great time - thanks for asking.

As you well know the scenery is outstanding. The weather for the most part has been cooperating. There are definitely a lot of people out here walking based on alberque occupancy. Don't usually see too many during the day though.

If you would like to relive it even more I created a FB page for the trip - 2017 El Camino de Norte @pinkwadingbirdmpt. If I was more tech adept I would know how to copy and paste the link on my smartphone, but alas that is not the case.
I got it for you: https://www.facebook.com/pinkwadingbirdmpt/
I'm happy that you're having a great time! It must be nice to be able to walk along the ocean so often.
I leave in just over 3 weeks, and I'm not ready!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I got it for you: https://www.facebook.com/pinkwadingbirdmpt/
I'm happy that you're having a great time! It must be nice to be able to walk along the ocean so often.
I leave in just over 3 weeks, and I'm not ready!!
Just now saw this - thanks for posting the link for me.

I bet you're more teady than you think you are. Of course the feeling of not being ready can always be relieved by buying a new pair of shoes....

Back