• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone planning on going in December 2011

thewholefoot

Hi

I am contemplating going in December 2011, I am uncertain as to how best to plan it. Also, I am curious to know whether anyone else is contemplating going in December 2011, where and when you are starting from.

Regards

Michael

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thewholefoot said:
Hi

I am contemplating going in December 2011, I am uncertain as to how best to plan it. Also, I am curious to know whether anyone else is contemplating going in December 2011, where and when you are starting from.

Regards

Michael

Crickey Michael, that's daring, you are obviously geared-up(crampons, ice axe/walking poles etc) to even contemplate; personally I would love to do it in the depths of winter, as winter walking in Scottish snow is so very beautiful. The planning for December starting now is a lot of work, but saying that, I'm personally geared up to go in winter, but not a 'spring' go-lite trip yet :!: If I survive next April I would seriously consider a 'winter pilgrimage'. Good Luck. David.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Michael,

I walked from Leon to Santiago in December 2009. It was a wonderful time to walk the Camino, lots of snow for the first few days.. All the municipal albergues were open, most of them were heated and no crowds... You will need extra warm clothing and waterproof boots, jacket etc. You also need to be aware that because of winter, you have less daylight hours to walk. Some sections of the Camino were closed due to snowfall so I had to walk on the roads, I'll definitely be going back for another winter Camino.

No need for crampons, ice axes etc.. go for it, it's a wonderful time of year to walk.

Paul.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning to leave in a couple of weeks, gotta hitchhike through france first but will hopefully see some of you guys outs there. Is anyone planning on camping throughout the route? Felix

Felix, not planning on camping, but depending on what the facilities are like on the Cami Catalan that may change.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
after browsing various forums it seems not many people do camp along route, i guess with the alternative facilities its not so desirable. Im gonna take my tent, its only light and perfect if a sticky situation comes around. But think i will also take advantage of albegiues every now and then (for a hot shower and clean clothes).

Hi,

I am planning on walking from Leon to Santiago starting the 27th of November. I read on another website that some of the albergues are closed in the winter months and just wanted to make sure that there are albergues open at every stage even in December? This is my first Camino and I am alone and a bit apprehensive. So any reassurance will really help!!

Maha

Answer to the Hendaya question: train goes from Leon at 15.07 and Sahagun at 15.39. Gets to Hendaya at 20.40. You are traveling in holiday season so try to get your ticket a bit ahead of time.

Equivocal answer to the Open Albergues question: it depends on what you consider "every step." In winter you have to walk farther between open albergues, (30 km days are not unusual) and sometimes the innkeepers take advantage of the few pilgrims who do show up, charging extra to turn on the heat, or just randomly closing up shop if they´re invited to a party. Be sure you have some backup funding in case you have to take a pension or hotel. (and don´t expect much heat in those, either!) Christmas eve, Christmas day, and New Year´s Eve can be problematic unless you phone ahead to make sure someplace is open.

Those traveling the very long stretch after Carrion de los Condes: there is now an albergue in Moratinos, which will stay open through the holidays. And if they are not, you can come to my house. We specialize in Winter pilgrims, and there´s always plenty of feast to share around here.

Reb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi !
I am beginning in leon 6th january and walking to santiago. From what I have read, make sure you have the correct kit, keepy dry, and it will be an amazing winter experience. I, myself am looking forward to not having people around (like that in august).

Perhaps I will see you out there!

Buen Camino

As a first timer I'm still deciding whether I want to do the Camino around Dec. 26th (still haven't bought tix from SFO, starting in either SJPP or Roncesvalles, still mulling over how I'd feel about going or not going over the Pyrenees...and doing this Camino alone). If I find more interesting info as I go through the process, happy to share - you can message me. So far, from reading the winter camino blogs and forums, it seems like what's impt is to make sure you have warm, quick-drying gear, are prepared for cold places to sleep, are ready for all types of weather, perhaps call/reserve albergues ahead of time to make sure they're open, and making sure you eat well since you'll burn a lot of energy trying to keep warm!

Christina

Two days outside of Huesca currently . . . it's not toooooo cold, but I spent one very upleasant night outside due to bad planning (and no tent). So yeah, it is doable, although I have spent a fair number of nights in pensions. That's par for the course for the cami catalan, though, from what I gather. Only in the past few days have I gotten into real albergue territory. I've seen only one other pilgrim in 16 days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spent the last five days out on the camino in Palencia (meseta). Saw plenty of pilgrims, at least five or six each day. Some are part of a big church group that is passing through, most in twos or threes. But this is a long holiday week in Spain... your mileage may vary.

I walked the camino from Sarria this time last year, and fell in with a group of at least 10 other pilgrims, some of whom had walked from Paris! So just like in summertime, the farther along you walk, the more company you will have.

The rain arrived today. Stay warm out there, brethren and cistern!

Reb.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back