Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone planning to start the Primitivo at the end of April 2017?

irishgurrrl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2012
Camino Finisterre Oct 2012
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied de Port) April/May 2014
[Kilimanjaro Sept 2014]
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St-Chely d'Aubrac) May 2015
[Stevenson Route, France - April 2016]
The Way of St Francis (Sansepolcro to Assisi) May 2016
[The West Highland Way, Scotland - Sept 2016]
[The Kerry Way, Ireland - March 2017]
Next up:
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Lugo) end April-mid May 2017
[Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal -- October 2017]
Hey everyone,

Have checked the calendar already but just wondering if anyone is planning to hike the Primitivo around the time I'll be there (end April). Planning to walk solo but it'd be nice to know there might be other forum members en route at the same time plus it's always lovely to have good company in the albergues in the evenings :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi , no sorry.
I begin my journey in Irun in the last week in April.
At the time you will begin in Oviedo , I'm hoping that I will arrive in Santiago.
I wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi , no sorry.
At the time you will begin in Oviedo , I'm hoping that I will arrive in Santiago.

Thanks Peter! Enjoy and Buen Camino too :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey everyone,

Have checked the calendar already but just wondering if anyone is planning to hike the Primitivo around the time I'll be there (starting last wknd in May from Oviedo). Planning to walk solo but it'd be nice to know there might be other forum members en route at the same time plus it's always lovely to have good company in the albergues in the evenings :)

When do you start? Your subject line states that you start at the end of April.

Hi tominrm,

Not sure of the exact date yet. How about you?

Last edited:
Oops spotted the mistake in the post. Corrected now :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi , no sorry.

Hi Peter. Just realised I accidentally put the end of May as my start time in the original post (since corrected).

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Have checked the calendar already but just wondering if anyone is planning to hike the Primitivo around the time I'll be there (starting last wknd in April from Oviedo). Planning to walk solo but it'd be nice to know there might be other forum members en route at the same time plus it's always lovely to have good company in the albergues in the evenings :)
We start walking May 14th. Please post afterwards! I would appreciate some updated info on albergues and such before we depart.

We start walking May 14th. Please post afterwards! I would appreciate some updated info on albergues and such before we depart.
Hi Alaskadiver, I usually go "off grid" as much as possible on my caminos but I'll post an update once I'm back using technology :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning on June so if i am looking for companions.So if you or someone is in i preciate it .See ya and nice trip

I am planning on June so if i am looking for companions.So if you or someone is in i preciate it .See ya and nice trip

Hi Astrit,

I'll be doing the Camino April/May but buen Camino! There should be a good few people on the trail at that stage I suspect so you won't be short of company. Maybe an experienced Promitivo-er can confirm this?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Astrit I think in another thread said she would be walking the Camino Frances, starting in Sarria. This thread is about the Camino Primitivo, a different route. You might meet up in Melide I guess.

Hi Astrit,

I'll be doing the Camino April/May but buen Camino! There should be a good few people on the trail at that stage I suspect so you won't be short of company. Maybe an experienced Promitivo-er can confirm this?
Thanks a lot .Of course but since this is the first route i dint know how is going and i am ancious about it

As i
@Astrit I think in another thread said she would be walking the Camino Frances, starting in Sarria. This thread is about the Camino Primitivo, a different route. You might meet up in Melide I guess.
Dear madam ,
As i said earlier i have been never and i think also i am the first from my Country that is doing the Camino so i need all the help from you and other people of god will

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As i

Dear madam ,
As i said earlier i have been never and i think also i am the first from my Country that is doing the Camino so i need all the help from you and other people of god will

I was very nervous too for my first Camino 5 years ago. But I met loads of lovely people and had a fantastic time. There is no need to worry. You will be hiking at a busy time so there will be lots of people on the Camino Frances. I'm sure you will have an amazing time! Buen Camino :)

Yes, @Astrit, I think you might be the first from your country and that is wonderful! For a first camino I would not recommend the Primitivo, which is this thread. Better to stick to your plans of starting in Sarria and walking the Camino Frances. It you have a look at the front page of the forum you will find the threads for the Camino Frances, which is the route most people call "The Camino".

I'm debating on either Primitivo and Finnesterre or a very amped up Camino Frances. I have the Month of May. I will be leaving the States on April 30th.

Hi Alex,

Both sound like great options so you can't go wrong. It just depends what you're looking for. The CF will be busy but it's a great experience in its own right. You'll meet lots of pilgrims of many different nationalities. Great fun! The CP is a way quieter route from what I've read although gaining popularity... it's more remote in places and very beautiful :) I think I did the CF in about 35 days including 1 rest day in Burgos with another 5 days to walk to Finisterre. It was a great experience and I met some fantastic people but I prefer quieter caminos /hiking trails these days :) I've hear people can walk from St Jean Pied de Port in 28 days so what you're thinking of doing is doable.

You'll have more than enough time to do the Primitivo and Finisterre caminos in a month. I've heard that the Camino San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo (and which takes about 5 days or so) is meant to be tough but stunning. Some people on this forum have done it so there should be some info on here. Might be worth looking into if you are an experienced and fit hiker.... ???

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be fantastic either way :) Maybe our paths may meet along the way. If not, have a good one and buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Alex,

Both sound like great options so you can't go wrong. It just depends what you're looking for. The CF will be busy but it's a great experience in its own right. You'll meet lots of pilgrims of many different nationalities. Great fun! The CP is a way quieter route from what I've read although gaining popularity... it's more remote in places and very beautiful :) I think I did the CF in about 35 days including 1 rest day in Burgos with another 5 days to walk to Finisterre. It was a great experience and I met some fantastic people but I prefer quieter caminos /hiking trails these days :) I've hear people can walk from St Jean Pied de Port in 28 days so what you're thinking of doing is doable.

You'll have more than enough time to do the Primitivo and Finisterre caminos in a month. I've heard that the Camino San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo (and which takes about 5 days or so) is meant to be tough but stunning. Some people on this forum have done it so there should be some info on here. Might be worth looking into if you are an experienced and fit hiker.... ???

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be fantastic either way :) Maybe our paths may meet along the way. If not, have a good one and buen Camino!
I did the CF in 2014 and was planning on doing it again at a pretty clipped rate of sped. The more I read about the Primitivo the more I feel it's where I should be.

I did the CF in 2014 and was planning on doing it again at a pretty clipped rate of sped. The more I read about the Primitivo the more I feel it's where I should be.
Ah cool. Wasn't sure if you were a newbie or not. Yeah the Primitivo does sound great it has to be said!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Me and the Wife are setting out from Oviedo on May 1st so our paths may cross.

Will keep an eye out for you.

Me and the Wife are setting out from Oviedo on May 1st so our paths may cross.

Will keep an eye out for you.

Ah cool, it's highly likely that we will as I'll most likely be starting the day before and I'll be keeping the mileage reasonably low. :)

Hi,
I plan to set off on 30th from Oviedo, which is the last Sunday in April. This will be my first Camino... some said it should have been better to choose a later date, as this is quite a rainy period of the year, but who cares? :) All plane tickets booked, so nothing can stop me. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
I plan to set off on 30th from Oviedo, which is the last Sunday in April. This will be my first Camino... some said it should have been better to choose a later date, as this is quite a rainy period of the Hi, but who cares? :) All plane tickets booked, so nothing can stop me. :D

Hi Skyforger, looks we'll be on the trail around the same time then. Hopefully we'll bump into each other at some stage :)

Hi, My 5th Camino and this time Primitivo. Arrive April 26th, after a few days in one of my favorite cities, Bilbao off I go. I will be doing some other routes as well and than finishing off by backtracking to Grado where I will be a Hospederia the beginning of July. I'm very excited to be giving back to the Camino as it has given me so much! Hope to see some of you there.

Hi, My 5th Camino and this time Primitivo. Arrive April 26th, after a few days in one of my favorite cities, Bilbao off I go. I will be doing some other routes as well and than finishing off by backtracking to Grado where I will be a Hospederia the beginning of July. I'm very excited to be giving back to the Camino as it has given me so much! Hope to see some of you there.

Hopefully our paths will cross :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I'm arriving in Oviedo around 07th May after walking the Camino Madrid and San Salvador. Perhaps our paths will cross. Buen Camino.

Hey everyone,

Have checked the calendar already but just wondering if anyone is planning to hike the Primitivo around the time I'll be there (starting last wknd in April from Oviedo). Planning to walk solo but it'd be nice to know there might be other forum members en route at the same time plus it's always lovely to have good company in the albergues in the evenings :)

I could be but I wont be able to confirm until March

Last edited:
[QU="handzondeck2, post: 482044, member: 7236"]Hi I'm arriving in Oviedo around 07th May after walking the Camino Madrid and San Salvador. Perhaps our paths will cross. Buen Camino.[/QUOTE]
It may well happen as I'll be doing relatively short stages :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

I start the french route in Pamplona on April 25 or 26.

Hey everyone,

I am new to all of this and am hoping to walk end of April. Just trying to debate if I will be fit enough and how safe this route is for travelling solo.Any ideas and tips would be most grateful. How is your planning going?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am new to all of this and am hoping to walk end of April. Just trying to debate if I will be fit enough and how safe this route is for travelling solo.Any ideas and tips would be most grateful. How is your planning going?

Hi Floozy, sounds like we might bump into each other on the trail. Haven't gone much planning recently! Must book my flights soon :) How about you?

Hi Floozy, sounds like we might bump into each other on the trail. Haven't gone much planning recently! Must book my flights soon :) How about you?
How is your planning going and will there be many others on the route at that time? I am still feeling a little anxious about going on my own and thinking of doing the Camino Frances instead......

How is your planning going and will there be many others on the route at that time? I am still feeling a little anxious about going on my own and thinking of doing the Camino Frances instead......

Hi Floozy,

I don't know how many people will be on the camino. I prefer quieter trails so being alone doesn't bother me. You might be better off asking someone who has already done the Primitivo before how many people they expect will be doing it the same time as you.

If it's your first Camino and you are very anxious about hiking alone then this one may not be the right one for you right now. You're best placed to know what you want so do what you're most comfortable with doing even if that means changing Caminos. The one you choose just depends what you are looking for in a Camino.... and every person is different in that regard...

Best of luck making a decision :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Floozy,

I don't know how many people will be on the camino. I prefer quieter trails so being alone doesn't bother me. You might be better off asking someone who has already done the Primitivo before how many people they expect will be doing it the same time as you.

If it's your first Camino and you are very anxious about hiking alone then this one may not be the right one for you right now. You're best placed to know what you want so do what you're most comfortable with doing even if that means changing Caminos. The one you choose just depends what you are looking for in a Camino.... and every person is different in that regard...

Best of luck making a decision :)
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Hope your plans are going well and you have a great time.

I just purchased my tickets and will be walking the primitivo leaving Oviedo on April 29th. I only have a short break so will be ending in Lugo.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back