• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone returned to the Camino for a holiday?

hargru

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2015
Hello everybody,

I walked the Camino Frances in October of last year. It was a wonderful 5 weeks and a time I return to often in my head.

Has anybody ever returned to the Camino but not to walk, instead to holiday/vacation in a single destination along the way? I would love to hear your experience if so.

Already established long distance walkers, my partner and I have continued to enjoy multi-day walks since, most often in our home country of the UK. I love to walk and have no plans to stop, but although I feel a real pull to return to the Camino, at present that draw is not to re-walk it.

Thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have gone back many times, but to walk. Trick is I did not wk the same route.perhaps you would be open to walk the Norte, the Portuguese, Via de la Plata?

I know @Kanga and her husband rented a car to tour Galicia after a Camino.

If I was going to go as a non walker I would rent a car and do Porto to Santiago with detours to Braga, O Grove, the Cies islands, walk the Ruta de piedra & agua on the Variante Espiritual and Combarro.

Or... drive along the Norte from San Sebasatian, going by Bilbao, Santander, Santillana, eventually dipping to Bilbao.

Could not imagine staying put somewhere day after day, but that's just me.

I've also thought about 'vacationing' somewhere along the Camino -- after my walking days are over!

I speak a middlin' Spanish, which will be helpful. And in many of the depopulating smaller cities/towns of Castilla y Leon I suspect that a room/apartment can be had for a few weeks for a trifling sum. Camino veterans know that it would be fairly easy to live cheaply in Spain, meld with the locals, and wave as the peregrinos go by.... Najera, perhaps, or Sahagun, or Cacabelos....?

As a Norteamericano, after 90 days I could qualify as an illegal! Almost as cool as being a pirate! :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Second time around I only walked part of the Camino Frances. When I reached Santiago I stayed there four nights and did a lot of tourist things I had missed the first time, when I was busy looking always for people I had met along the way. I was pleased to discover there were all sorts of interesting places to visit in Santiago itself.
Margaret

I think it would be wonderful...there are many cities I walked through that I could happily spend extra time exploring (even those that were rest stops)...and there were a few places I wanted to see but were impossible to get to at the time. I did sort of a Camino-step-down-therapy at the end, and in my time remaining in Spain would travel to a city as a tourist, see the sights, and walk a step of the associated Camino. That way I got a "taste" of six additional caminos besides the four I walked about half of to the entirety (Frances, Norte, Primitivo, Finisterre-Muxia) . When I was being a tourist, I was a happy tourist and didn't miss the walking...and if you do, you can always add a small day trip.

Yes I do this regularly with my partner. Sometimes with our own car, if we stay in the north of Spain. If more to the south we hire a car in Madrid.
Extra bonus : staying up late, no closing time because no albergue so able to sample all the beautiful tapas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, before and after walking the Camino.
Santo Domingo de la Calzada is a great base to explore La Rioja for a few days and to meet the current crop of peregrinos.
Leon is one of my favorite cities, and there is lots to see in the city and many castles and such in the area to climb over and photograph.
Burgos and Astorga for the food.
Santander and Cantabria for many reasons. I have family there and I enjoy the scenery and the lifestyle.
Returning next year to visit Spain with some friends who have never been there.
Andalucia is wonderful. Granada is a treasure.
I prefer Arcos de la Frontera to Madrid (I'm not a big city fan).
Spain is beautiful and the people are wonderful. So much to see and do.

Yes! Several times now with my husband where we've visited the O Grove area, Finisterre, and lots of time in Coruna. We even took a cruise with my in-laws since my 80 year old mother in law really wanted to see the cathedral in Santiago herself. It was an extra bonus to be able to walk on several other routes - with stops in Gijon, Vigo, and Coruna, she is now able to say she has been on the Norte, Ingles, and Portuguese routes! Well, walking at least a few meters on each and seeing parts of the Portuguese route between Vigo and Santiago from the car. :rolleyes:

A special bonus was we were able to make it to the cathedral just in time for noon mass on Friday (with botafumeiro). It was very special for her as a devout Catholic. She just loved seeing all the pilgrims, and in Gijon we spoke to a lovely pilgrim couple who shared some of their experiences with her.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the camino after a driving holiday in northern spain. We followed the coast and then drove down to Burgos. .. by Leon I wanted to walk and by Fisterra I was committed :D

I'm currently walking the VdlP and the Sanabrés and planning a driving holiday for another time... so many amazing places to visit and not enough time when walking :D

Many times from SW France ... and felt very conspicuous wearing normal clothes (but at the same time envious of the pilgrims wearing the equipment necessary!) Loved driving slowly through all the Camino Frances villages hooting encouragement at the pilgrims on the N120, taking detours and above all returning to the wonderful restaurant in Gonzar for their amazing steak again.

When we go in 2017 we plan a long, slow walk with many days spent exploring different cities and towns. It may take us the entire 90 days we have to reach Santiago. We will only be able to walk the Camino Francis once. There will never be enough time to see everything, but we will try. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have never been able to walk the Camino due to disability problems.
Went on a coach journey in 2011 from Madrid via Leon and then on to the north coast at Candas and finally to SDC. With side trips at each stop we saw a bit of Northern Spain. At that time I had not heard of the Camino.
In SDC ,in the cathedral, I saw all these pilgrims and took some photos of couples if they wanted me to.
Afterwards I went to a cafe with a couple from Norway and they told me how far they had walked and what the Camino was about. I was amazed that I had not heard of it before.
On returning home I found this forum and still read it most days.
In 2012 I organised a train trip for myself and flew into Biarritz and then Express Bourricot to SJPDP.
2 Days there and transfer to Pamplona. 2 days there and train to Burgos. 2days there and train to SDC, where I stayed for 4 days before flying home.
A monumental and wonderful journey and a holiday to remember.
By all means go back and see Northern Spain again.

Yes, as Anemone has said, we hired a car in SDC after walking the Norte and spend ten days slowly touring the coast between Finisterre to Pontevedra, taking our time to stop and look (we might have been in a car, but we still travel like walkers!) It is an amazing coastline, incredibly long because of all the inlets and estuaries, with a great variety of scenery, busy working fishing ports, wonderful wine growing regions (its the Rias Baixas area), fabulous food, and lively tourist spots with lots of music and other cultural events going on in summer - loved the whole region.

Often think about it, I decide between Burgos and Salamanca (and also on other possibilities), but in the end always conclude that I will miss walking! Probably rent a car and visit more places is the better option

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have gone back many times, but to walk. Trick is I did not wk the same route.perhaps you would be open to walk the Norte, the Portuguese, Via de la Plata?

I know @Kanga and her husband rented a car to tour Galicia after a Camino.

If I was going to go as a non walker I would rent a car and do Porto to Santiago with detours to Braga, O Grove, the Cies islands, walk the Ruta de piedra & agua on the Variante Espiritual and Combarro.

Or... drive along the Norte from San Sebasatian, going by Bilbao, Santander, Santillana, eventually dipping to Bilbao.

Could not imagine staying put somewhere day after day, but that's just me.

Oh I would absolutely love to walk another Camino route - in fact I have no doubts that I will in the future. But I see that as something different. This is about returning to a place I have already been to, and feel drawn back to, but without trying to recreate that original experience. Not sure if that makes sense, but I love your idea of hiring a car and travelling that way. Not something I had thought of. Thank you!

Second time around I only walked part of the Camino Frances. When I reached Santiago I stayed there four nights and did a lot of tourist things I had missed the first time, when I was busy looking always for people I had met along the way. I was pleased to discover there were all sorts of interesting places to visit in Santiago itself.
Margaret

Thank you, Margaret. We stayed an additional day in Santiago and it certainly was not long enough! I love the idea of sitting in the square and watching the pilgrims finish their journeys there. Best wishes.

I think it would be wonderful...there are many cities I walked through that I could happily spend extra time exploring (even those that were rest stops)...and there were a few places I wanted to see but were impossible to get to at the time. I did sort of a Camino-step-down-therapy at the end, and in my time remaining in Spain would travel to a city as a tourist, see the sights, and walk a step of the associated Camino. That way I got a "taste" of six additional caminos besides the four I walked about half of to the entirety (Frances, Norte, Primitivo, Finisterre-Muxia) . When I was being a tourist, I was a happy tourist and didn't miss the walking...and if you do, you can always add a small day trip.

thank you for your response. The 'exploration' aspect is a big part of it I think - giving more time to these wonderful places walked through but not really 'seen'. Or seeing them through a different lens.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes I do this regularly with my partner. Sometimes with our own car, if we stay in the north of Spain. If more to the south we hire a car in Madrid.
Extra bonus : staying up late, no closing time because no albergue so able to sample all the beautiful tapas.

Love the tapas. Logrono is high on the list of places to potentially return to, mostly for that reason!

Yes, before and after walking the Camino.
Santo Domingo de la Calzada is a great base to explore La Rioja for a few days and to meet the current crop of peregrinos.
Leon is one of my favorite cities, and there is lots to see in the city and many castles and such in the area to climb over and photograph.
Burgos and Astorga for the food.
Santander and Cantabria for many reasons. I have family there and I enjoy the scenery and the lifestyle.
Returning next year to visit Spain with some friends who have never been there.
Andalucia is wonderful. Granada is a treasure.
I prefer Arcos de la Frontera to Madrid (I'm not a big city fan).
Spain is beautiful and the people are wonderful. So much to see and do.

Many thanks indeed for your brilliant suggestions. I have been fortunate to visit Spain (mostly southern Spain) previously so absolutely agree on Andalucia and Granada. I feel a bypassed Astorga somewhat, so wouldn't have connected it with food. Most useful, thank you!

We even took a cruise with my in-laws since my 80 year old mother in law really wanted to see the cathedral in Santiago herself. It was an extra bonus to be able to walk on several other routes - with stops in Gijon, Vigo, and Coruna, she is now able to say she has been on the Norte, Ingles, and Portuguese routes! Well, walking at least a few meters on each and seeing parts of the Portuguese route between Vigo and Santiago from the car. :rolleyes:

A special bonus was we were able to make it to the cathedral just in time for noon mass on Friday (with botafumeiro). It was very special for her as a devout Catholic. She just loved seeing all the pilgrims, and in Gijon we spoke to a lovely pilgrim couple who shared some of their experiences with her.

Sounds like happy memories indeed, thanks for sharing :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the camino after a driving holiday in northern spain. We followed the coast and then drove down to Burgos. .. by Leon I wanted to walk and by Fisterra I was committed :D

I'm currently walking the VdlP and the Sanabrés and planning a driving holiday for another time... so many amazing places to visit and not enough time when walking :D

Many times from SW France ... and felt very conspicuous wearing normal clothes (but at the same time envious of the pilgrims wearing the equipment necessary!) Loved driving slowly through all the Camino Frances villages hooting encouragement at the pilgrims on the N120, taking detours and above all returning to the wonderful restaurant in Gonzar for their amazing steak again.

Yes, as Anemone has said, we hired a car in SDC after walking the Norte and spend ten days slowly touring the coast between Finisterre to Pontevedra, taking our time to stop and look (we might have been in a car, but we still travel like walkers!) It is an amazing coastline, incredibly long because of all the inlets and estuaries, with a great variety of scenery, busy working fishing ports, wonderful wine growing regions (its the Rias Baixas area), fabulous food, and lively tourist spots with lots of music and other cultural events going on in summer - loved the whole region.

Often think about it, I decide between Burgos and Salamanca (and also on other possibilities), but in the end always conclude that I will miss walking! Probably rent a car and visit more places is the better option

Sounds like a driving holiday might be the way to go. Massive thanks to you all for your sharing and advice.

Oh I would absolutely love to walk another Camino route - in fact I have no doubts that I will in the future. But I see that as something different. This is about returning to a place I have already been to, and feel drawn back to, but without trying to recreate that original experience. Not sure if that makes sense, but I love your idea of hiring a car and travelling that way. Not something I had thought of. Thank you!

I think the experience would be very interesting, seeing the place through the eyes of a tourist separately than through the eyes of someone walking the camino...I'd love to hear about how that was for you so let us know please when you return.
I especially like the desire not to recreate a previous experience...every moment of our lives is unique, and trying to make it otherwise hasn't ever worked well for me

Logrono is a great stop for a few days try the www.hotelcallemayor.com was fantastic in the old town easy walk to main tapas bars and the square . Loved the city and will go back.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everybody,

I walked the Camino Frances in October of last year. It was a wonderful 5 weeks and a time I return to often in my head.

Has anybody ever returned to the Camino but not to walk, instead to holiday/vacation in a single destination along the way? I would love to hear your experience if so.

Already established long distance walkers, my partner and I have continued to enjoy multi-day walks since, most often in our home country of the UK. I love to walk and have no plans to stop, but although I feel a real pull to return to the Camino, at present that draw is not to re-walk it.

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Christmas 2015 we were invited to stay at the privat albergue Casa da Fernanda in the north of Portugal and celebrated Christmas and New Year with the family and visited famous caminho places like Braga and Ponte de Lima. We drove by car to Portugal.

This year summervacation we went to Portugal agaim. -we walked the caminho Português twice -in 2013 from Lisbon-in 2015 from Porto.

We travelled with our own car and caravan and started Pamplona, then Burgos, Sahagún and Salamanca. In Portugal we visited the Serra da Estrela mountains where we met the Caminho Português Interior in Viseu.
Then we went on to Lisbon where we met two Caminho peregrinos/forum members who live there and vsited all famous caminho places we had been before.
We gave a hand as hospitaleiros at the privat albergue Casa da Fernanda , where we stayed for a fortnight.we camped at a campingsite in Ponte de Lima where we met many pilgrims on their way to Santiago.

Then we crossed over to Galicia in Spain and toured around in the area of the caminho Português Variante Espiritual for some days and went to Cabo Fisterre.
From there we avoided Santiago itself -we have been there 3 time before during our three caminos but went to Lugo on the camino Primitivo and later followed a part of the camino del norte at the north coast of Asturias ans País Basque.
On the way back home to Holland we followed a part of the Vézelay route in France.

8200 kms in two and a half month and visited 23 camping sites :)

Later this year in september we walked a small part of the so called" Pieterpad "here in the south of the Netherlands , an about 500 kms long distance path where the first scallop waymarkers to Santiago appear . So it was all camino every day again in our minds aswell physically.

Our next year plans are different. We intend to stay in the south of France and depending on the weather in May and June when it rains-what it did before when we where there in springtime- we travel on to Catalunya in Spain but even there we can not avoid the camino
Later in septembe we will have the intention to fly to Portugal and stay at Fernanda's again.
Holiday and the camino. It blends together if you have an eye for it :)

Bom caminho

Last edited:
We took our car earlier this year to re-visit some parts of the Camino del Norte and Primitivo. partly to walk some places and also to visit others which we had not had time to see when walking. Then we went 'off Camino' to see new areas. Planning on a similar venture again next year for parts of the Norte, then through to Ponferrada to visit the Templars castle. We love N Spain but feel that our time walking through to Santiago is complete so the part Camino- part holiday fits well with that. Have a great trip.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance.
Yes my wife picked me up in Santiago and we drove back through Leon , O Cebriero and many more of the towns almost to Burgos. Really facinating to see all the walkers knowing you've finished. Highly recommended.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back