• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone seen these dogs recently?

gregdedman

Hi there everyone,

Back in December 2010 I completed my second Camino at Cape Finisterre.
As I arrived at the lighthouse in the cold, wintery morning I had company. Not my fellow pilgrim but these two beautiful hounds.
They looked cared for, both obviously not short of a bone or two to chew on but they joined me for the final push up to the cape and subsequently joined me for breakfast of cold frankfurters, biscuits and if I remember correctly a little tuna.

The sandy dog was a puppy, full of life, mischievous, greedy and a thorn in the side of the black dog, perhaps mum, who was relaxed, attentive and loyal.
They shared an hour with me on the rocks, at a time I was feeling very alone and exhausted. The sad thing was that when I was ready to leave for my long walk back to Santiago these two lovely, friendly dogs wanted to join me. I struggled for almost 2 hours to prevent them following me into town and possibly onto Santiago!!
In the end, I had to be cruel to be kind and began shouting at them to leave me alone (I was hoping they knew English!).
Ill never forget the look of sadness and confusion on these dogs faces as they turned to leave, dejected.

Now im on the search!!

Has anyone encountered them here at the lighthouse, before I did, or more importantly since?
Can anyone confim they are safe? I know its a long shot.

Here are some photos :)

swr2uc.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Greg

The pups are adorable and I can imagine how guilty you must feel but it was for their sake. I'll be starting my camino late May and aiming to finish at finisterre. Going to print out your picture of the dogs and be on the look out for them and will ask some locals to find out who they belong to. hopefully get an updated photo to post here when i get back.

lp

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there peregrinacheena,

Thanks so much for your message, that would be great but don't go out of your way, you've got many miles to cover before commiting to Finisterre :)
Any news would be great if you do make it there though, stay safe and buen camino!

Greg

Hi Greg,
Perhaps if you emailed the photo to the hotel O'Semaforo they could give you an update on the dogs?
Keep us posted.
N

Hello,I will be doing my first Camino this September 7th starting in Astorga and I want to walk all the way to Finesterra,can you suggest a route from Santiago to Finesterra with places to stop and sleep?I am in good shape for an older man but a man has to know his limitations and I do not want to walk more then 25 kilometers per day(30 at the most).
My very best friend(my dog) died about 7 months ago and I want to bring some of his ashes with me to leave on the trail,do you think that customs will allow me to bring them into Spain?I really hope that those 2 dogs are okay!
Can you offer any information or advice on what the weather might be like,I do know that the weather is very unpredictable but I would still like your imput.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Peace,
Trombaananda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From TSA in the U.S.:
Transporting the Deceased

Special Needs
Traveling with Crematory Remains

We understand how painful losing a loved one is, and we respect anyone traveling with crematory remains. Passengers are allowed to carry a crematory container as part of their carry-on luggage, but the container must pass through the X-ray machine. If the container is made of a material that generates an opaque image and prevents the Transportation Security Officer from clearly being able to see what is inside, then the container cannot be allowed through the security checkpoint.

Out of respect to the deceased and their family and friends, under no circumstances will an officer open the container even if the passenger requests this be done. Documentation from the funeral home is not sufficient to carry a crematory container through security and onto a plane without screening.

You may transport the urn as checked baggage provided that it is successfully screened. We will screen the urn for explosive materials/devices using a variety of techniques; if cleared, it will be permitted as checked baggage only.

Some airlines do not allow cremated remains as checked baggage so please check with your air carrier before attempting to transport a crematory container in checked baggage.

Crematory containers are made from many different types of materials, all with varying thickness. At present, we cannot state for certain whether your particular crematory container can successfully pass through an X-ray machine. However, we suggest that you purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container made of a lighter weight material such as wood or plastic that can be successfully X-rayed. We will continue to work with funeral home associations to provide additional guidance in the future.

trombaananda - so sorry for your lost, I can relate, my 16yr old pup passed last year and i missed him everyday on the camino, there were moments when i walked thru gloriously green sunlit pastures with wild flowers and i had this uncanny feeling that he was going to come running towards me from afar. weird, i know...

The walk into finisterre and/or muxia is beautiful...maybe leave some of his ashes there...

Greg - i showed the photo to folks at the semaforo and to a lady selling cherries from a stall near the lighthouse unfortunately they dont know the two dogs. i saw many dogs around finisterre but none that looks like them, I hope other pilgrims had better luck finding them

That little sandy one looks exactly like a doggy who picked me up outside Carrion de los Condes last year. He became really attached and I had an awful job persuading him he couldn't go any further. Maybe he's finally finished the camino, he was certainly very determined.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back