• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone seen this yet?(mainly Oz)

Bogong

Time of past OR future Camino
First, March 2014
G'day,
My local library had a copy of this on display (not for loan):

Noel Braun: "The day was made for Walking - an Aussie's search for meaning on the Camino de Santiago" Sid Horta Publications P/L, ABN 46 119 415 842.

It's a new release, and my bookstore doesn't even have a computer listing.

The author walked in his later '70's basically in memory of his late wife. The blurb indicates it's a spiritual pilgrimage.

I just wondered if anyone was across it yet?

He's going to give a talk on it in the Library on 27 June, for all close by.

De Colores

Bogong

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, Dave,

I'll tell the Library that they was wrong!

Bogong

Not necessarily... They may be referring to a new printing of the book. :) Sometimes a printed run of a book is not continued and existing inventory gets sold out, or unsold inventory is donated to nonprofits or destroyed; and then later, it is decided to do a new printing for a variety of reasons. That new printing can often be referred to as a 'new' release. :)

If such is the case, it probably has to do with the increased interest in all things having to do with Camino de Santiago..... which means making more money for the publisher :)

I bought a copy from the author’s website some years ago.
https://www.noelbraun.com.au/dayforwalking.html
He walked Le Puy to Santiago in two goes. He walked in memory of his wife who suffered from severe depression. I enjoyed the book mostly because it was a realistic account of a pilgrimage rather than an overly dramatised or romantised version. It’s a good read and from an Australian perspective. I would like to hear him talk about his book.

Edit: Thinking about this OP, I’m wondering if the book is a new COMMERCIAL release. I have a vague memory of trying to buy it and finding that the only source, at least in Australia, was the author’s website. I’m guessing that originally he published it himself? If this is the case then I’m pleased for him that it is more widely available.

Last edited:
Gday Bogong
Noel has written 2 books I've read about walking the Camino after his wifes' death.
He has combined walking with short term study "language" stays in France & Spain. Amazing for his age.
Would be great to listen to his stories straight from the horses mouth!.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
MY local library "Brighton SA"has it, Just requested a copy to be held for me.

G'day,

Noel Braun: "The day was made for Walking - an Aussie's search for meaning on the Camino de Santiago" Sid Horta Publications P/L, ABN 46 119 415 842.

The author walked in his later '70's basically in memory of his late wife. The blurb indicates it's a spiritual pilgrimage. I just wondered if anyone was across it yet?

He's going to give a talk on it in the Library on 27 June, for all close by. De Colores
Bogong

G'day mate: I not only have a copy I have the next edition - So I guess I'll keep on Walking. Noel is a lovely man and he writes a great story. I have met him a more than a couple of occasions. Thanks for this post and to your local library for having a copy. Cheers

Just wondering where your 'local' library is? Would love to hear the author speak.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just wondering where your 'local' library is? Would love to hear the author speak.

Moruya, on the south coast of NSW. The “wicked city”, metropolis of 7,500 people, I go there about twice a week to marvel at the shop window fare. About 200k from our Capital, and around 350k south of Sydney, a large provincial centre for our local state government.

Bogong

I bought it from Angus and Robertson online. Very honest book.

G'day,

The author walked in his later '70's basically in memory of his late wife. The blurb indicates it's a spiritual pilgrimage.

De Colores

Bogong
Yep...and I also have a copy of each of his other books.....very good reading and I can recommend them highly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've also met Noel Braun and have read both his Camino books. Saint Mike II put it very succinctly and I concur with his opinion that "Noel is a lovely man and he writes a great story". For those of you who live in Sydney, Noel will be presenting at Hornsby Library on 26 June.

I have read his two Camino books 'The Day was meant for walking' and 'I guess I'll just keep on walking' and they are both excellent accounts of his walks, and can be obtained from him direct at his website www.noelbraun.com.au. He is now 81 and fit as a fiddle. He is on a speaking tour just now at various libraries generally in the southern half of NSW, and I gather that he will be doing a similar tour later for northern NSW. If you write to him he will give you details of his speaking tour

G'day,

De Colores

Bogong
Yes I have read it I think I got it through Collins book shop. Which library is he talking at. I really like his two books on the camino????

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It would be interesting hearing an honest account of walking the Camino because most of it online is very romanticised. It could be quite disappointing for some people planning their walk.

It would be interesting hearing an honest account of walking the Camino because most of it online is very romanticised. It could be quite disappointing for some people planning their walk.
I have just completed my second full camino Frances and, can certainly say that in parts, it was Not an easy walk....lots of hills, mud, rain, fog,hail mixed in with the odd sunny days. There are tough climbs, which are very tricky and, even tougher downhill areas where one has to watch almost every step,to avoid slipping or turning an ankle. There is lso a lot of flatter road walking but you still need to keep your wits about you and take care. Having written that though, i thoroughly enjoyed it this time] around, met some wonderfully supportive and encouraging people, both pilgrims and the local Spanish people, who were only too happy to assist when i lost the arrows. Aysen, be prepared to walk with an open mind...if you are staying in hostels, be prepared for the snorers and, the oft times fuggy atmosphere....Your legs will hurt, you will sometimes wonder what youve got youself in for, but, overall, it is a wonderful experience. BUEN camino for now.

Last edited:
The Australian Friends of the Camino had a review of this book in the quarterly publication of their newsletter - the Camino Chronicle - it was in the September 2017 edition, and can be seen on their website.
https://www.afotc.org/pilgrim-resources/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have just completed my second full camino Frances and, can certainly say that in parts, it was Not an easy walk....lots of hills, mud, rain, fog,hail mixed in with the odd sunny days. There are tough climbs, which are very trikcky and, even tougher downhill area where one has to watch almost every step,to avoid slipping or turning an ankle. There isvlso a lot of flater road walking but you still ned to keep your eits about you and take care. Havng written that though, i thoroughly enjoyyed it fhis tjmr around, met some wonderfully supportive and encouraging people, both pilgrims and the local Spanish people, who were only too happy to assist when i lost the arrows. Aysen, be prepared to walk with an open mind...if you are staying in hostels, be prepared for the snorers and, the oft times fuggy atmosphere....Yournlegfs will hurt, you will sonetimes wonder what youve got youself in fgor, but, overall, it is a wonderful experience. BUEN camino for nos.
My comment is not so much about the walking, which I loved, or the leg pain. I did hate the snoring and the attitude that some snorers had, probably all actually, that the rest of us just had to endure it. And I did, I went through three sets of ear plugs until I found some silicone ones and I could still hear the snorers. I think you know what I mean but won't admit it. I'll leave it at that.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My comment is not so much about the walking, which I loved, or the leg pain. I did hate the snoring and the attitude that some snorers had, probably all actually, that the rest of us just had to endure it. And I did, I went through three sets of ear plugs until I found some silicone ones and I could still hear the snorers. I think you know what I mean but won't admit it. I'll leave it at that.
Not quite sure what you mean by your last comment Aysen.....What won't I admit please?

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back