• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone sew their own Camino clothing or gear?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I've Googled around and found 100% Merino Wool jersey fabric for around $30/yard. I can easily make a T-shirt from a yard of fabric. Much cheaper than ready made shirts. I was also thinking of a shift/tank dress which could be used for sleeping, or to wear after walking on warm evenings. Or a hemmed length of fabric for pareo, scarf, etc. I have this Simplicity pattern which has a pareo-ish coverup that might be nice. http://images.patternreview.com/sewing/patterns/simplicity/1374/1374.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do it and tell us how you get along! When I was a child all my clothing was handmade (and I'm only mid-40s). Shop-gear is a relatively new invention.

From one who worked in the wool classing business in my youth just a few cautions to observe.
Many factors determine the quality (and value) of wool.
These include fiber diameter, crimp, yield, color, purity, and staple length and strength.
Fiber diameter, also called fineness, is the actual measurement of the thickness of the wool fiber. It is measured in microns, which is one millionth of a meter.
It is the fineness of the fibre that determines its pricklyness. The finer the fibre the less the prickle.
So, clothing worn directly on the skin, the base layer, singlets undies and T-shirts, should be made of the the finest wool fibre possible. This is not so important when it comes to mid and outer layer garments used for hiking.
The 'very' fine wool used in the manufacture of 'fine' garments today appears to consist of a range of microns, with the finished garment 'averaging' around 17 microns.
If you are lucky you will find the micron measurement of the wool used on the tags attached to the garment, or on the manufacturer's website.
If not, you take your chances.
One final point. Hold the wool fabric up to a light. Stretch it a little. The less blotchy it appears the less the range of micron fibres used in the weaving.
So, as an initial guide to baselayers, look for light, thin fabric, with little blotchiness.
This is often expensive. For good reason.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I made my nylon sleep sack. It fits me, it weighs about 4 oz., and it has a pouch for European pillows built-in. Light nylon is a tough sewing job, but I double and triple sewed the seams (but no zipper). The total cost was even less than cheap silk sleep sacks, which tend to be somewhat form fitting. I renew the permethrin treatment each camino, and it has lasted for over a dozens walks.:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've sewn since I was 5 and up till about 40 years ago everything except my underwear was handsewn. I loved Frostline Kits and still love Green Pepper patterns. Over at one of the other threads we (ok mostly me) have a whole conversation going about sewing hiking skirts.

From one who worked in the wool classing business in my youth just a few cautions to observe.
Many factors determine the quality (and value) of wool.
These include fiber diameter, crimp, yield, color, purity, and staple length and strength.
Fiber diameter, also called fineness, is the actual measurement of the thickness of the wool fiber. It is measured in microns, which is one millionth of a meter.
It is the fineness of the fibre that determines its pricklyness. The finer the fibre the less the prickle.
So, clothing worn directly on the skin, the base layer, singlets undies and T-shirts, should be made of the the finest wool fibre possible. This is not so important when it comes to mid and outer layer garments used for hiking.
The 'very' fine wool used in the manufacture of 'fine' garments today appears to consist of a range of microns, with the finished garment 'averaging' around 17 microns.
If you are lucky you will find the micron measurement of the wool used on the tags attached to the garment, or on the manufacturer's website.
If not, you take your chances.
One final point. Hold the wool fabric up to a light. Stretch it a little. The less blotchy it appears the less the range of micron fibres used in the weaving.
So, as an initial guide to baselayers, look for light, thin fabric, with little blotchiness.
This is often expensive. For good reason.
Regards
Gerard
Thanks for the detailed information!

I made my nylon sleep sack. It fits me, it weighs about 4 oz., and it has a pouch for European pillows built-in. Light nylon is a tough sewing job, but I double and triple sewed the seams (but no zipper). The total cost was even less than cheap silk sleep sacks, which tend to be somewhat form fitting. I renew the permethrin treatment each camino, and it has lasted for over a dozens walks.:)
What was the fabric that you used? Do you find that the nylon breathes enough when you're sleeping?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've sewn since I was 5 and up till about 40 years ago everything except my underwear was handsewn. I loved Frostline Kits and still love Green Pepper patterns. Over at one of the other threads we (ok mostly me) have a whole conversation going about sewing hiking skirts.
Speaking of hiking skirts - I'm going to go check out the Purple Rain skirts today. The company is in my city.

I've Googled around and found 100% Merino Wool jersey fabric for around $30/yard. I can easily make a T-shirt from a yard of fabric. Much cheaper than ready made shirts. I was also thinking of a shift/tank dress which could be used for sleeping, or to wear after walking on warm evenings. Or a hemmed length of fabric for pareo, scarf, etc. I have this Simplicity pattern which has a pareo-ish coverup that might be nice. http://images.patternreview.com/sewing/patterns/simplicity/1374/1374.jpg

Go for it! :cool:
I made a long sundress to replace the worn-out one I take on the Camino but ... (don't laugh!)! found it weighed more so ended up taking the old one again...
I've just received some material (mentioned in another thread) to make a hiking skirt.
The pareo pattern looks great btw.
Happy sewing :)

Speaking of hiking skirts - I'm going to go check out the Purple Rain skirts today. The company is in my city.
I just bought and received one....and love it. So nice that it is a local shop. I like hiking in leggings, but leggings lack pockets, which Purple Rain Skirts provide.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Clothes, not much yet, but some little bits of gear: a 5x8 mesh pouch with zipper close and attachment strap, to keep the first aid stuff from diving to the bottom of the pack (strap loops around something or other at top of inside of main pack compartment--gauze, nail scissor, tape, Bufferin, etc.); hussif with sewing bits for repairs (used to repair camera bag strap); one lightweight orange top (oops, the light fabric had DWR on it so was better for evening than for day) and assorted little bits. Given that the wool fabric is no-dryer stuff, I'd probably stick to other fabrics for clothes. I find just keeping track of air drying all the hiking socks for the two of us is a lot of fuss, but that's just me. Pictures of some of what's been made can be found in the archives of my blog, texassunshine24.blogspot.com if anyone wants to look. I think they're all tagged with "sewing" IIRC.

Just made a new 'pack cape' - really pleased with it. Hi viz so safe in low light conditions. Have also made rain kilt and am awaiting fabric for a 'Purplerain' style hiking skirt. May also make some gaiters. Walking the Camino del Norte and anticipating plenty of rain - let's hope I'm wrong
.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brilliant!
Here's hoping you're wrong too.
Buen camino Magwood :)
Dominique
(so wishing I was going soon too)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm planning in sewing my hiking skirt. Found the supplex fabric used in the macabi skirt for around 7 dollars the yard. Got it in a few colors and plan to make a macabi like skirt and some loose long pants. Sometimes What I imagine I can make and the reality are not the same so I hope in this case I end up with something I like. Good luck with your projects.

Do you find that the nylon breathes enough when you're sleeping?
It adds about 10F of warmth because it does NOT breathe! It is about the lightest nylon you can get; I have forgotten the actual weight designation.

I just met with Mandy who makes the Purple Rain skirts. She is so nice and helpful. I tried on a small and medium, and was sort of in between sizes. The black skirts are a bit lighter weight that the colored ones. There are 4 pockets altogether, as there is a pocket that closes with a velcro flap on top of each larger pocket. The black is a nice lightweight nylon, which she says dries in about 5 minutes. They weigh between 4 and 5 ounces. (approximately)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've made a sleeping-bag liner out of two (what I believe is silk) wrap-around pair of pants, just sewing them together and cutting off the straps/ties. They already had an inside and outside layer to them, so re-sewing the material together in a different shape took some perseverance keeping the materials together, but it doesn't feel like I just threw together something cheap, because of the two layers, though, it is ... colorful ...
The only opportunities I've had to test it have been on Amtrak, going across the US, and so far I think it does it's job.

I made all my dresses for the camino because I couldn't find what I wanted to buy. The one in my picture is a light viscose, highish neck, cap sleeves for sun and rucsac comfort, and I placed the pockets lower so I could access with my waist belt on. Worked really well. Simple shift, no darts

I dug up my old Green Pepper pattern for mittens today - it was a windy drizzly day perfect for crafting. Hit JoAnn Fabrics and bought lightweight neon pink polar fleece (3/8 yd at $4.99/ yard!!!) and sewed some. No telling if the weather in early April will be at the bottom or top of the average by the time I get to the meseta so I figured if I didn't need them, I wouldn't mind putting $2 worth of mittens in a donation box.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I made all my dresses for the camino because I couldn't find what I wanted to buy. The one in my picture is a light viscose, highish neck, cap sleeves for sun and rucsac comfort, and I placed the pockets lower so I could access with my waist belt on. Worked really well. Simple shift, no darts
How did you like walking in a dress? I really like the idea.

Last edited:
Here's my effort at Purplerain style skirt. Used Supplex fabric for the skirt and old jogging bottoms for the waistband. Very pleased with the result. I was a bit worried about wind blowing it around, but then thought I will have stuff in the pockets which will weigh it down. Very comfy.

image.jpg image.jpg

Here's my effort at Purplerain style skirt. Used Supplex fabric for the skirt and old jogging bottoms for the waistband. Very pleased with the result. I was a bit worried about wind blowing it around, but then thought I will have stuff in the pockets which will weigh it down. Very comfy.

View attachment 24527 View attachment 24528
Very cute too!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fantastic! You are an excellent seamstress!!

Thank you. Early learned skills, passed on from my mother and onward to my daughters. There's not much call to make clothes these days with fabric being so expensive and clothes so cheap, so it's nice to test myself occasionally.

Here's my effort at Purplerain style skirt.
Today I received a used blue Purple Rain Kilt skirt I'd grabbed online. Fits fantastic, I was worried that the L would not fit over my ample bottom. Pockets fit my iPhone 6+ perfectly. Very lightweight (though I have not compared the weight to the little black skirt I am packing for Madrid). Length just fine. For hiking or city touring. Only concern is the fabric sticks to my leggings.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Today I received a used blue Purple Rain Kilt skirt I'd grabbed online. Fits fantastic, I was worried that the L would not fit over my ample bottom. Pockets fit my iPhone 6+ perfectly. Very lightweight (though I have not compared the weight to the little black skirt I am packing for Madrid). Length just fine. For hiking or city touring. Only concern is the fabric sticks to my leggings.

The Supplex fabric I have used seems to be a bit static also. I remember eons ago, when manmade fabric was all the rage and static was shooting all over the place, there was a product to spray onto clothes to calm them down a bit. I've no idea what it was, but could be useful in this case. Out of interest, what does your Purplerain skirt weigh?

Out of interest, what does your Purplerain skirt weigh?
it's called Static Guard, I still use it all the time, just hadn't when I tried on the skirt. The PurpleRain Kilt Skirt in Large weighs 127gr! I would think maybe the regular Purple Rain would weigh a little less since it wouldn't have the extra flap of fabric. Waist to hem = 55cm.

Here's my effort at Purplerain style skirt.
wow, great skirt! Love the zip pockets. What length did you make it? I'll be testing my PR skirt today in the wind, not sure that items in the pockets will help. Your pocket placement I think is better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This can be a real challenge. I've used a slip with so-so success. I'd never heard of Static-Guard...it could be a boon. Where to find it in Spain, though?

Just looked on Amazon.es - they do have the product available but at a rather ridiculous price. Home made remedies apparently include spraying with hairspray or with a solution made of fabric conditioner and water.

wow, great skirt! Love the zip pockets. What length did you make it? ...Your pocket placement I think is better.

I initially tried using the pockets from the hiking pants that I had cut up, but the difference in colour did not look great. So I unpicked them to use the Zips and made the same style. I placed them exactly where my hands reach. The length from top of waistband is 58 cm (22"). Mine is rather heavier than your PR at 185 grams, but the fabric I used for the waistband is probably a lot heavier than it needed to be - but it was what I had available in the house. I think it might be getting worn quite a lot. Now I need to buy some runners tights and I will be all set.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just looked on Amazon.es - they do have the product available but at a rather ridiculous price. I think it might be getting worn quite a lot. Now I need to buy some runners tights and I will be all set.
Static Guard is ridiculously priced here too but a can does last a very long time. Will you be trying out your skirt on the Ingles?

Static Guard is ridiculously priced here too but a can does last a very long time. Will you be trying out your skirt on the Ingles?

By the time I get to the Ingles it will have proved itself one way or the other on el Norte and the Ruta del Mar. It could have been left in a bin somewhere, but I have high hopes...

By the time I get to the Ingles it will have proved itself one way or the other on el Norte and the Ruta del Mar. It could have been left in a bin somewhere, but I have high hopes...
Oops for some reason I didn't see the el Norte and Ruta del Mar were first. Time for more coffee!! So to reword the question - you're going to wear the skirt on your upcoming caminos? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

View attachment 24527 View attachment 24528

Where did you buy your Supplex nylon from?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I purchased from the very nice guys at Pro Fabric in the UK. This is the fabric I chose - very inexpensive. This is the third item I have purchased from Pro Fabrics and each time I phoned first for advice. They are very helpful.

I gave the skirt a trial run yesterday, bright but fairly windy conditions, It didn't blow up and cause embarrassment and was very comfortable, although as far from elegant as could be imagined. All vanity is wiped away on Camino, but I still have a smidgen of pride in my appearance around home.

I tried the anti-static hairspray solution on the skirt and I had no problems with clinging.

Kanga beat me to it!

@Kanga , I had great trouble with my machine skipping stitches on this fabric. If you experience this and find a solution, could you share please

If you can't find Static Guard, body lotion rubbed on your hands and then over the your legs (or tights) works just as well.

@KerrieG I found Supplex nylon from the UK eventually, with a reasonable freight charge. It arrived a few days ago and seems suitable. Here's the website: http://www.profabrics.co.uk/collect...supplex-showerproof-fabric?variant=6809806851

Thanks for that Kanga, did you order samples first or buy yardage? My samples came from Rockywoods in the US just this week. I ordered 3 different samples - Supplex nylon, Palisade (also a nylon) and Taslon nylon. Of the 3 I like the Palisade best. It is 6% elastane so has a little stretch. The Supplex comes in many lovely colours, but the fabric has a slight sheen to it that I don't really like. And the Taslon is the lightest weight of the 3, a little too light I feel. I have ordered 2 pieces of the Palisade. Fortunately my order won't take the 6 weeks that the samples took to arrive! Shall go have a look at Profabrics.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I purchased from the very nice guys at Pro Fabric in the UK. This is the fabric I chose - very inexpensive. This is the third item I have purchased from Pro Fabrics and each time I phoned first for advice. They are very helpful.

I gave the skirt a trial run yesterday, bright but fairly windy conditions, It didn't blow up and cause embarrassment and was very comfortable, although as far from elegant as could be imagined. All vanity is wiped away on Camino, but I still have a smidgen of pride in my appearance around home.

I tried the anti-static hairspray solution on the skirt and I had no problems with clinging.

Yes, @Kanga beat you to it! :) Thanks Maggie, it's great to know you've bought more than once from them (Pro Fabric), must be ok.

Excellent! I will 2nd the comment on what a great seamstress you are :) wonderful...has given me food for thought for next time as I spent too much money for this skirt I got for my first camino beginning in May :(
But that is what I love about this forum...an onging learning process!

Royal Robbins Discovery Skirt I bought online. I like your skirt MUCH better as it has a stretchy waistband! maybe I can take it to a seamstress and have the waistband redone on it (?) unfortunately I don't know how to sew very well.

Attachments

• skirt.jpg
    skirt.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 11
....Royal Robbins Discovery Skirt I bought online. I like your skirt MUCH better as it has a stretchy waistband! maybe I can take it to a seamstress and have the waistband redone on it (?) unfortunately I don't know how to sew very well.

Hi Angie. I enjoyed making something for myself, for a change. I have been making lots of little things for my granddaughter recently.

The problem with your idea to change the waistband is that there probably won't be enough volume in the skirt (where it meets to new stretchy waistband) to pull up over the hips. Unless of course the fabric has some stretch to it. And so the waistband would still need some form of opening, which would defeat the object.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I thought that I should come back and post what I have made for my Camino that starts in less than a week!
I made two merino wool dresses with zippered pockets on the outside and one hidden pocket inside.

upload_2016-8-15_14-26-1.png

I'll post the rest in the following posts, as I'm having trouble uploading multiple pictures.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And I made this mesh shower "caddy" to hold my solid shampoo/body soap, solid conditioner (which I also use on my damp skin for moisturizer), and a razor, because, yes, I will be shaving.:) It weighs almost nothing, and rolls up to go inside a zip lock baggie.

upload_2016-8-15_14-45-30.png

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Using hair clips is brillant!!! I like how little it weighs and the material costs is less than the Altus. I might have to give it a go...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
oh my goodness, I just read the directions. That would take me a month to sew! Good on you for your patience!

oh my goodness, I just read the directions. That would take me a month to sew! Good on you for your patience!
I know what you mean about the instructions. I was sort of put off at first, because it seemed rather complicated, but after you get everything cut out, it's not too bad. I made it over about 3 days, a few hours at a time. I did have a couple of questions while I was sewing, and Pong was kind enough to help me out. And I forgot to mention that mine weighs just 7.2 ounces. I think that the Altus weighs almost twice that.

Amazing lot things, some ideas. I fancy trying the gaitors

When do you leave, trecile and I'm thinking your bag must weigh less than 5k? Curious

You will have a very wonderful time. I'm in Santiago 12/13 Sept (after Portuguese) perhaps we will meet. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.