• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

anyone sneakily enjoy that little bit of hardship / suffering ?

Deise

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to Santiago Sept 2013
Via de la Plata April 2015
i mean the usual small things like blisters , Snoring , pilgrims rummaging in plastic sacks for hours before leaving albergue .
It is amazing how quickly these are forgotten when looking back.
Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Don't know if this counts but, shortly after I returned from my Camino, I accompanied my daughter on a hike "up the Valley" as it is called here. It was a bit of a drive to get there, but she wanted to show me a particular view. At the trail head was a sign indicating that the distance, return, was 5 k. I burst out laughing.

Oddly, yes. It took me about two weeks, but then my mantra became "I am not a wimp!" That was a powerful feeling--something I wasn't used to in my every day life. However, the first two weeks definitely qualified as "misery".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. Now I'm home I get great satisfaction out of peeling the thick layers of dead skin off the spots that once were blisters. What that says about me I hate to think.

I should share that my original question was prompted by looking at a report from an out-patients department on the camino ALMOST with affection - this is months after returning home

I should share that my original question was prompted by looking at a report from an out-patients department on the camino ALMOST with affection - this is months after returning home
A week before commencing my Camino I had a fall at home and injured my ankle. I thought I had just suffered a bad sprain. I walked 185kms in great pain and on returning home a CT scan revealed I had a fracture of the Tibia at the base where it meets with the ankle. My ankle, foot and toes each evening were 3 times their normal size. As I had dreamed for 20 years of crossing the Pyrenees I just soldiered on and have never regretted doing is.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Bevey Ann talk about stoic! I hope you have the chance to go back someday and enjoy yourself without the pain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am not sure that there is a pilgrimage without pain; tolerable pain is my criterion!
I loved showing my friends pictures of my 2 massive blisters last year and hearing them ooh and aah and saying 'how ever did you manage to carry on?'
I only walked 70 miles.I probably would not be boasting if I had to put up with them for 500 miles. All in all I think the odd blister is a rite of passage and something to be enjoyed(when you get back home!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
suffering -- even some misery -- is an inevitable part of every life.
The camino walk is a lifetime writ small.
So don't be surprised if you get some suffering going on in there. Don't let your blisters (or even a cracked tibia!) make you feel any more afflicted than the average pilgrim. Don't feel too righteous if you don't suffer.
That's all a part of living. It's all a part of the Way. How you deal with it is the real test.

Suffering, when offered up, can be spiritually beneficial. Not perhaps a commonly held opinion, but I offer it to those who undertake the pilgrimage for religious reasons. For all people, though, the suffering makes the pleasures more memorable and treasured, don't you think?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hate to say but there was not much suffering involved? If there had been, I would have given up, I was ready for it.
I can hear the unkind comments already lol 'well she's French what do you expect' :D;)
No, it was hard the first time I admit, I was like a rabbit in headlights....but hey ho....

I have walked with people whose focus was the avoidance of pain. It can be because of injury. No-one is immune to overwhelming pain - a broken leg is a broken leg. It can be because of disposition. Whatever the reason, when avouding pain is foremost, other things are lost. If avoiding pain became my prime goal, I would not continue.

Overcoming or tolerating or enduring hardship and suffering is different. Avoiding pain takes second place to another goal or goals. The pain is secondary. That can be enlightening and ennobling. It is part of what makes the Camino special.

So yes, I have enjoyed hardship and suffering. Bizarrely.

With both arthritis in the ankles and Parkinson's Disease, avoiding pain makes the walk more enjoyable. I have not found that avoiding paint detracts from anything except the pain. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not against avoiding pain - give me neurophen every day! It's when that overwhelms everything. When it's the central facet of the walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I found it tough I was inspired after seeing this guy. His friends carried him over waterlogged sections

Attachments

• IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 22

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.