• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone starting at Irun around 24th of September?

seaseeker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte
I will start my camino this week, feeling a bit afraid of the weather as I couldn’t find gaiters nor rain proof pants. Plus I was wondering if I would see a lot of people at this time of the year.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi @seaseeker how exciting for you. I can’t speak to how things are on the Norte right now - as to numbers and accomodation given covid restrictions - maybe some forum members who are there will reply. But usually late September would be a popular time and you’d be sure to meet some fellow pilgrims without feeling crowded.

As to weather … well it’s always a gamble. But I wouldn’t be too concerned about the gaiters or rain pants. There are whole threads on the forum about the pros and cons of waterproof pants. My observation is that the majority (though not all) think they are not worth the trouble. I’m in that camp. Some (including me) prefer to walk in shorts most of the time and especially when it’s raining. Your legs will dry quickly. Different matter in winter / snow etc but in late September / October, I think you will be fine.

Final thing - if you have a spare few hours in Irun, I highly recommend you walk the couple of kms to Hondarribia - even just to wander for a few hours. It’s a wonderful town - and would be a shame to miss when you’re so close. You will also see shells and Camino markers there as you can start the Norte from Hondarribia or Irun.

Have a wonderful walk. Take care. Buen Camino. 🙏

PS @seaseeker in case you’re interested, I’ve just noticed a recent thread called Sept 23 starting in Irun. anyone else?

Sorry I’don’t know how to link to it? But I see that there are people on that thread who are going to meet up on the 23rd September and start walking from Irun to San Sebastián on the 24th.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We started in Irun a month ago and are 5 days away from Santiago now. You won't see many pilgrims...it's quiet. In total, we perhaps encountered 2 or 3 dozen total. And weather turning somewhat colder now....we start walking in AM and it's usually around 13 to 15 Celcius these days. The highs are about 20 C. Seems to be more rain too. Make sure you have a good poncho and warm layers of clothing; it will be cold through October. You will climb and descend a lot...remember, going down is harder on the knees!

PS @seaseeker in case you’re interested, I’ve just noticed a recent thread called Sept 23 starting in Irun. anyone else?

Sorry I’don’t know how to link to it? But I see that there are people on that thread who are going to meet up on the 23rd September and start walking from Irun to San Sebastián on the 24th.
I will search for that thread, thank you for all the advice, have a lovely day!

While,you are in this thread, if you look at the section on right of the screen, there is a box called Similar Threads - that’s where I saw it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @seaseeker how exciting for you. I can’t speak to how things are on the Norte right now - as to numbers and accomodation given covid restrictions - maybe some forum members who are there will reply. But usually late September would be a popular time and you’d be sure to meet some fellow pilgrims without feeling crowded.

As to weather … well it’s always a gamble. But I wouldn’t be too concerned about the gaiters or rain pants. There are whole threads on the forum about the pros and cons of waterproof pants. My observation is that the majority (though not all) think they are not worth the trouble. I’m in that camp. Some (including me) prefer to walk in shorts most of the time and especially when it’s raining. Your legs will dry quickly. Different matter in winter / snow etc but in late September / October, I think you will be fine.

Final thing - if you have a spare few hours in Irun, I highly recommend you walk the couple of kms to Hondarribia - even just to wander for a few hours. It’s a wonderful town - and would be a shame to miss when you’re so close. You will also see shells and Camino markers there as you can start the Norte from Hondarribia or Irun.

Have a wonderful walk. Take care. Buen Camino. 🙏
I just checked it out and loved it. Thank you for sharing. I am arriving in Irun on 10/11/21, and I sure will visit there. I found a lot of photos. Is anyone going to be in Irun around 10/11?

Historic Center of Hondarribia - 2021 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go | Tours & Tickets (with Photos) - Tripadvisor

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back