• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone starting from Arles mid-April?

Dani

Time of past OR future Camino
Arles
I'm planning to walk the first 7-10 stages from Arles as from the 11-12-13th April and wondered if anyone else was planning to start it that weekend too? I'd like a bit of company on the road, at least to start with!

thanks

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry, won't be on it until September. Did two weeks from Arles last September and loved the experience, you'll have such a wonderful time.

Ultreïa.

Sorry, won't be on it until September. Did two weeks from Arles last September and loved the experience, you'll have such a wonderful time.

Ultreïa.

Thanks !
I'm sure I'll have a great time...always have on the Camino :)
It's just that I'm slightly concerned that I might be the only one on the road, being in April!?!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I start from Monpellier on the 25th and have the same concern. I'm planning to walk to Oloron Ste. Marie and then turn right to SJPP and perhaps on to Bayonne.

If it's lonely I'll head off to the Le Puy route which I did last year. The people and weather will be different and I'll vary my stages and try some variants.

BTW you haven't completed your profile so I have to ask: are you Dani from Geneva?

Bill (sometimes Guillaume)

I start from Monpellier on the 25th and have the same concern. I'm planning to walk to Oloron Ste. Marie and then turn right to SJPP and perhaps on to Bayonne.

If it's lonely I'll head off to the Le Puy route which I did last year. The people and weather will be different and I'll vary my stages and try some variants.

BTW you haven't completed your profile so I have to ask: are you Dani from Geneva?

Bill (sometimes Guillaume)

Bill, I guess you're talking about 25th of April...
Do you think that there will be significantly more people on Le Puy Route?
I first thought on going that way but then changed my mind as it might be rainier, muddier, at this time of year ??!!??
and no, I am not from Geneva, sorry

It is clear that the Arles Route is MUCH quieter than the better known Camino's. I walked in mid-September and did meet people but not many. If I remember correctly there was one day when I met no one but most days there were others about. Probably about two to six only at that time. It is a most peaceful route and I am perfectly happy walking solo but am aware that when I do meet people I do tend to talk too much!

Enjoy your trips..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dani,

Yes, I mean to start on the 25th of April.

Everything I've read tells me the Arles route has fewer walkers. On this forum, in particular, you can find reports of people who met only a half dozen others between Arles and Somport in the fall.

I chose the spring because more French hikers are out in spring than fall. I'd also be happy being immersed in the French language, which the general (comparative) lack of input on this site from English speakers suggests is likely. And I'm encouraged by the fact that Miam Miam Dodo wouldn't publish a guide to the Arles route if there weren't enough buyers.

That said, just comparing the number of beds available on the two routes, I'd expect considerably more traffic on the Le Puy route. You'd be sure to find company.

I did it last Sept/Oct and sure there was some mud even then, so it's hard to say what I would do in your position leaving so early in the season. Actually.....it's not hard for me. I'd rather slog through mud with others and have good company for dinner than walk and dine alone for more than a day or two.

--Bill

Last edited:
I walked from Arles in June and there were only about four of us in the early stages. The numbers built up after Oloron Ste Marie. A gite owner told me that the numbers were never large but there were more earlier in the year because pilgrims who were heading to Santiago wanted to arrive there before the really hot weather set in. I don't know whether the statistics bear out this assertion but it augurs well for your April start.

Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out whether there will be other people around and that's to go and see what happens. Nothing says you have to stay there if it doesn't suit you - if necessary, you can jump on a bus and head somewhere else.

Dani,

Everything I've read tells me the Arles route has fewer walkers. On this forum, in particular, you can find reports of people who met only a half dozen others between Arles and Somport in the fall.

I chose the spring because more French hikers are out in spring than fall. I'd also be happy being immersed in the French language, which the general (comparative) lack of input on this site from English speakers suggests is likely. And I'm encouraged by the fact that Miam Miam Dodo wouldn't publish a guide to the Arles route if there weren't enough buyers.

That said, just comparing the number of beds available on the two routes, I'd expect considerably more traffic on the Le Puy route. You'd be sure to find company.

I did it last Sept/Oct and sure there was some mud even then, so it's hard to say what I would do in your position leaving so early in the season. Actually.....it's not hard for me. I'd rather slog through mud with others and have good company for dinner than walk and dine alone for more than a day or two.

--Bill
Dani,

--Bill

Well, being Easter week I hope that French hickers will be out to play :)
Still have 2 weeks to make up my mind!
Thanks for your thoughts
Danielle

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from Arles in June and there were only about four of us in the early stages. The numbers built up after Oloron Ste Marie. A gite owner told me that the numbers were never large but there were more earlier in the year because pilgrims who were heading to Santiago wanted to arrive there before the really hot weather set in. I don't know whether the statistics bear out this assertion but it augurs well for your April start.

Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out whether there will be other people around and that's to go and see what happens. Nothing says you have to stay there if it doesn't suit you - if necessary, you can jump on a bus and head somewhere else.

You are right Julie! If it doesn't suit me...I'll head somewhere else :)
Do you know if there was mobile phone coverage along the way ?...in case I'd need some sort of help!
Also, what guide book would you recommend?
Thanks for your time!
Danielle

It is clear that the Arles Route is MUCH quieter than the better known Camino's. I walked in mid-September and did meet people but not many. If I remember correctly there was one day when I met no one but most days there were others about. Probably about two to six only at that time. It is a most peaceful route and I am perfectly happy walking solo but am aware that when I do meet people I do tend to talk too much!

Enjoy your trips..

Peaceful can be good too :)
Thanks

I can't help you with mobile coverage as I used public phones to contact family and only turned my mobile on occasionally to check for messages. That used to be my preferred method but, alas, public phones are becoming more difficult to find. Hopefully you'll never need it but note that the European emergency number is 112.

As for the guide, I made my own from a combination of Miam Miam Dodo and the CSJ guides. For the most part, I prefer to just follow the signs and had no problems doing that on this route. As you're short of time, I think either of these guides would be OK.

Miam Dodo has diagrams of the route, distances, accommodation choices and tells you what services are available along the way. Though in French, the information is presented in such a way that this is not a problem for non-French speakers. For an example of a page from the guide see http://www.levieuxcrayon.com/MMDDGRARLES/MMDDARLES.html The guides are readily available in France.

The CSJ guide has accommodation choices, distances, information about the villages and services along the way but doesn't have maps of any kind. It's available through their bookshop http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_to_the_Roads_through_France_22.html

One of the outdoor stores in Sydney stocks these guides so you may find that a store near you also stocks them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't help you with mobile coverage as I used public phones to contact family and only turned my mobile on occasionally to check for messages. That used to be my preferred method but, alas, public phones are becoming more difficult to find. Hopefully you'll never need it but note that the European emergency number is 112.

As for the guide, I made my own from a combination of Miam Miam Dodo and the CSJ guides. For the most part, I prefer to just follow the signs and had no problems doing that on this route. As you're short of time, I think either of these guides would be OK.

Miam Dodo has diagrams of the route, distances, accommodation choices and tells you what services are available along the way. Though in French, the information is presented in such a way that this is not a problem for non-French speakers. For an example of a page from the guide see http://www.levieuxcrayon.com/MMDDGRARLES/MMDDARLES.html The guides are readily available in France.

The CSJ guide has accommodation choices, distances, information about the villages and services along the way but doesn't have maps of any kind. It's available through their bookshop http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_to_the_Roads_through_France_22.html

One of the outdoor stores in Sydney stocks these guides so you may find that a store near you also stocks them.

Thanks for this Julie...very kind :)

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back