• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone starting from SJPdP on May 24?

kristinavstheworld

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in May (2016)
Is anyone starting their Camino Frances from SJPdP on May 24? I'm going alone and worried that I'll be the only one starting that day. Never done anything like this before. Wondering if I should join a tour after all. Looking for reassurance...

Thank you!
Kristina

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will not be alone Kristina. Pilgrims will start leaving St Jean from before dawn in a steady stream. Probably 300 + at that time of year. You'll find the town packed with Pilgrims when you arrive! Many travelling alone...

You will have lots of company as you plod up the hill, and will probably make friends with people that you will see regularly for days and weeks ahead ;)

You don't need a tour group. You'll realise that on day 1 :)

I agree with Robo.....I'm walking alone too in 6 weeks. That being said....be smart and whenever possible just stay near other walkers. You will see that normally there always will be someone fairly close behind and in front of you....HAVE FUN. It's a great trip ! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is anyone starting their Camino Frances from SJPdP on May 24? I'm going alone and worried that I'll be the only one starting that day. Never done anything like this before. Wondering if I should join a tour after all. Looking for reassurance...

Thank you!
Kristina
Hello Kristina
I am leaving from Toronto On May 24 and will start on my own from SJPP on the morning of May 26. I am hoping to average 28km a day to Santiago so if you are the same I will never catch up but if slower maybe so!
I expect a good number to be starting that day and if you stop for a coffee at Orrison 8km from SJPP you will probably have made friends with a few others when ready to move on, and that is only after the first 8km. So I would have no worries about traveling alone because there will always be someone just up ahead or not far behind you.

I'm flying from Dallas May 24 to London, then to Biarritz and overnighting in Bayonne May 25. Arriving in SJPDP May 26, will either head out then or the next day. Will look for you all on the Way!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thank you!
Kristina
Hi Kristina
I am not walking this year but i did the VDLP two years ago, you will have no trouble meeting and making friends on the road, there is always someone who is of like mind

Thank you!
Kristina
Hi Kristina. You will be fine. Follow your instinct.
I will be walking alone starting at SJP on 5th May2016.
Enjoy your pilgrim Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sure there will be a lot of fellow pilgrims starting that day with you and some days you will think there are too many, ha ha. ;)
This may be a surprise to some reading this, but most of the people who walk the Camino are not members of this forum. :D

I'm sure there will be a lot of fellow pilgrims starting that day with you and some days you will think there are too many, ha ha. ;)
This may be a surprise to some reading this, but most of the people who walk the Camino are not members of this forum. :D

Hahah, good point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, forum members! Feeling a million times better. And excited. See you along the way.....
xx
Kristina
I agree.....don't join a touring group unless you have to. For some this might me the only option.....if so....absolutely go for it. I honestly thought about it last year. Just because the "unknown" made me think about it. Not physical or other limitations. So glad we didn't. Example. While we were just sitting admiring the amazing views (this was a day between Villafranca and O'Cebreiro and we decided to take the alternative "Duro" route......SO beautiful. )We walked into a tour group of 10 people......they had to keep up with each other and the guide so rushed through all.....while we just took our time and soaked in the views and yes....we even yodeled (poorly though ) ha ha (when no one was around) I mean...where can/do you do that ??? ;)

Last edited:
my wife and I leave Australia for our first camino<very excited> and get to bayonne on the 24th and leaving ST Jean on the morning of the 25th ..only walking to orrison on the first day

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm flying from Dallas May 24 to London, then to Biarritz and overnighting in Bayonne May 25. Arriving in SJPDP May 26, will either head out then or the next day. Will look for you all on the Way!
Me too. Flying from Heathrow on the 25th and staying overnight in Bayonne. :)

Kristina,
My husband and I are starting on May 24. We are going as far as Orrison the first day. We will stay at Bellari in SJPDP on the night of the 23rd. We are slow, but could meet up with you if you wish.
Janet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kristina,
My husband and I are starting on May 24. We are going as far as Orrison the first day. We will stay at Bellari in SJPDP on the night of the 23rd. We are slow, but could meet up with you if you wish.
Janet

Cool! I'll see you at Bellari!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thank you!
Kristina
Hi Kristina, :)

Do not worry, look

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/

and you will see how many pilgrims comes in Santiago. More than half are from Camino Frances.

You'll find someone on the Way ;)

Bota :cool:

Kristina, my friend Barbara from Denver is starting that day. When you query up your fellow travelers and find one from Colorado, tell her Jennifer said Buen Camino!

And of course, your constant companion, from SJPP all the way to SdC, will be your Creator, who will never leave your side.

(PS...Mr Bota is absolutely right - you'll also be accompanied by 150 others starting from SJPP ;))

As others have already stated, you will not be alone but you sometimes might wish for a bit more solitude :D Have a wonderful camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My friend Tom and I will be arriving in SJPP on the 25th of May and will start our walk the following day. Hope we bump into each other. We are Filipinos from New Zealand.

I'll be leaving from SJPP on the 25th so maybe I'll see you somewhere along the Way!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Perhaps it will be less congested on May 25 (perhaps wishful thinking?). I have been watching the Beilari reservations and they are not showing full for reservations for the weekend or the beginning of that week yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Kristina
I am leaving from Toronto On May 24 and will start on my own from SJPP on the morning of May 26. I am hoping to average 28km a day to Santiago so if you are the same I will never catch up but if slower maybe so!
I expect a good number to be starting that day and if you stop for a coffee at Orrison 8km from SJPP you will probably have made friends with a few others when ready to move on, and that is only after the first 8km. So I would have no worries about traveling alone because there will always be someone just up ahead or not far behind you.
I will be leaving sjpp that day as well!

I am also starting on the 24th from SJPDP.

I did about 1/3 of the walk a few years ago and started out on my own but always had people to walk with, so it ended up being a nice mix of solo and in small groups.

I have not booked anything in SJPDP yet, but taking the first train from Bayonne on the 23rd so fingers crossed I can find a bed!

I will be leaving sjpp that day as well!
Arlene
Hello from Burlington. Walked 27k this morning on dead flat roads so not much value for the climb to Orrison and beyond!!
Look forward to seeing you on the trail. Blue MEC rucksack and Can flag luggage tag accompanying old geezer heading to Santiago by Jun 25.
Buen Camino
George

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Me too. Flying from Heathrow on the 25th and staying overnight in Bayonne. :)
Flying out from heathrow on the 25th as well....what time do you land? I've reserved a room in Biarritz as I thought I might be too late to get to Bayonne...

Flying out from heathrow on the 25th as well....what time do you land? I've reserved a room in Biarritz as I thought I might be too late to get to Bayonne...
My flight from Heathrow is at 16.25 landing in Biarritz at 19-15 I've also booked a room in Bayonne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes! I'm staying at Beilari in SJPdP on May 23, then at Orisson on May 24. See you at one or both of those places?

Buen Camino,

Julie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Should have started May 23rd for my 4th Camino . This time my daughter would join me but she broke her ankle 8 weeks ago so we postponed to September. Sooooooo jealous of all of you ha ha But happy for all. Enjoy ! Buen Camino !

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.