• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone starting in December?

Pheilhans

Time of past OR future Camino
2016-2017-2018
I see they now have snow in Roncevalle. I am from Norway and used to walk the Mountains up here in winter. I have also done the Camino Frances many times. But I am still a little nervous about doing the Camino in Winter time. Anyone else planing to start this december or january? And from where? I see theres cirka 1300 pilgrimes coming in to SdC every desember. Maybe most of them started in november? I would not like to be all alone on the road, even though I do not mind my own Company...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thomas, I won’t be walking, but just want to wish you a Buen Camino. I think there is a section on the Forum where people can say when they are starting. I doubt very much that you will be on your own. What a gift actually, to be on pilgrimage in Advent!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Thomas. My wife and I will be starting from Roncesvalles on December 19. Perhaps we'll see you. If not, enjoy the solitude and peace of a winter Camino.

I see they now have snow in Roncevalle. I am from Norway and used to walk the Mountains up here in winter. I have also done the Camino Frances many times. But I am still a little nervous about doing the Camino in Winter time. Anyone else planing to start this december or january? And from where? I see theres cirka 1300 pilgrimes coming in to SdC every desember. Maybe most of them started in november? I would not like to be all alone on the road, even though I do not mind my own Company...

I always wanted to it in the winter
I think it would be amazing but probably very quiet

No time to walk from St Jean or Roncesvalles this time around but I will be leaving from Burgos on December 26th or 27th for a 2 week Camino. I do the majority of my Caminos in the heat of the summer which I love so I am curious to experience how I do in the cold. We rarely get snow in The Netherlands and if it snows, it rarely lasts very long.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No time to walk from St Jean or Roncesvalles this time around but I will be leaving from Burgos on December 26th or 27th for a 2 week Camino. I do the majority of my Caminos in the heat of the summer which I love so I am curious to experience how I do in the cold. We rarely get snow in The Netherlands and if it snows, it rarely lasts very long.

Lucky you to be walking soon again! However the Meseta in winter can be frigid when the wind blows from the west into your face; be prepared!

Furthermore in cold weather never choose an albergue bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and a wooly hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

Stay warm and safe. Buen camino and, as always, Ultreia!

Lucky you to be walking soon again! However the Meseta in winter can be frigid when the wind blows from the west into your face; be prepared!

Furthermore in cold weather never choose an albergue bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and a wooly hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

Stay warm and safe. Buen camino and, as always, Ultreia!

Thanks MM, I have also thought about the wind, that we do have plenty of in Holland!
I am used to sleeping at night without heat and the window open (yes, all year round) but I sleep under a warm comforter! Your suggestions will come in handy, was already thinking of bringing a pair of leggings to sleep in as my sleeping bag is quite thin.

I enjoyed reading about your numerous winter Caminos and will now experience a bit of it myself.

Cheers
LT

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Winter is a wonderful time to walk and with you coming from hiking in Norway, you shouldn't have a major problem with the weather ;-) Keep an eye on this website http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ which gets updated regularly and tells you which albergues are open/closed. Buen Camino, SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you have set off... a daily update comes on facebook from Trinidad de Arre, be sure to stop there for a great welcome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 15.26.57.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 15.26.57.png
    662.1 KB · Views: 11

Hey Thomas, I will be starting the Camino Frances on December 16th! This is my first camino, flying into Paris on the 14th.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hello,

I am walking now and started in Roncesvalles on December 6th, a Wednesday. There were 20 pilgrims there that day, not all of them walking to Santiago. Walking through the snow was quite wonderful. Tomorrow will be my first day of rain.
Not sure how it'll be later in December and in January, but right now I am meeting some pilgrims and also walking through empty landscapes. Keep in mind that lots will be closed between Christmas and the first week of January, but well, I expect to find my way so I expect you will too :). Buen camino!

Maartje

Thanks for your update @MaartjedeMeer and welcome to the forum!

The link that @SYates posted above http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ is updated almost daily. Do take a look at it as an albergue that I had thought to say in has since changed its dates. I had email contact with a few and their advice was call a day or two in advance to be sure.

Where are you now? Whatever you would like to share is welcome.

Take safe and ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello fellow pilgrims, and thank you @MaartjedeMeer for the quick update.
I’m writing while at the airport on my way to Roncesvalles, I should arrive on Thursday Dec 14 and can’t wait to start walking on the 15. This will be my humble 4th time (I mean it, I know many of you have walked many more times) and my plan is to go all the way to Santiago.
I, too, will try to give updates here and there, particularly about closures if and when I encounter them.
For now, I can’t help but smile when thinking about the possibility of a snowy white Camino.

Fernando

I will be starting from Zizur Mayor -my home- on December 20, to Santiago and Finisterre.
I hope to meet someone on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will be starting from Zizur Mayor -my home- on December 20, to Santiago and Finisterre.
I hope to meet someone on the Camino.
Bueno, Mikel! If you live in Zizur Mayor, you MUST know that you will certainly meet pilgrims en route! And what a lovely start to your walk, winding gently up to El Perdon via Zariquiegui, and you will, surely, go via Eunate. Ultreya!

6D2A032D-5633-4888-9769-BA2D0D9DDBF5.jpeg
Beautiful, snow-covered Roncesvalles three days ago on December 15. Little snow after that, but days have been beautiful from Zubiri to Puente La Reina.

Do you know where to sleep at Christmas 24/25 december Fernando? Looks like I will start after Christmas, in January perhaps...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back