• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone starting in SJPP in August 09 ?

lorax

Time of past OR future Camino
I tried in 09, it went horribly. Gonna try again. Aug/Sept this year
Greetings,

I'm a 53 yr old first timer starting out from St Jean the middle of August of this year.(09)... I've read hours and hours about the Camino and people's experiences....can't wait to have my own! I'm flying into Dublin to tour the sacred sites there and then fly over to Spain/France. I'm unsure of what city to fly into that would be the easiest to begin.

Would Biarritz be a good choice??

I'm only planning on going to Honto or Orisson the first day. Do I need a reservation at both of these?? Is it hard to get a reservation? Should I make it before I leave home or just when I check in to begin. Is one a better choice than the other?

Thanks for all help... I'm traveling alone and trying to be realllly courageous.

Karla

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome, Karla,
I was 53 when I made my first Camino - also alone. Have no fear. I walked alone for about 10 minutes the first day. From then on, I was one of many "peregrinos" and had friends all along the Way. Particularly at that time of year, you will only be alone if you choose to be.

I cannot answer your questions regarding Orisson, as I began my first Camino in Roncesvalles. However, there are many others here who can. Take your time, don't overplan and have no fear. It will be a magical experience!
Buen Camino,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for the replies and making my comfort levels higher. I would like to stay at Honto....anyone know anything about that refugio?? I know the weather changes daily but is this a good time to be starting? I plan on taking 2 months for walking. I hope that is not crazy because my flights are set in stone so far. I just wanted to be able to explore and take my time to relax and not walk a zillion miles a day.

I agree with Chax that it is advisable to book ahead in Orisson. The advantage that you have when starting out is that you know your exact 'dates' so can easily book ahead via the internet. However, it is important to note that when they ask you to reconfirm the day before for Orisson, they mean it, and if you don't do that, you might find that they have cancelled your booking.
Orisson does have stunning views if you are lucky enough to strike good weather. We were blessed in the evening to have the most superb rainbow I have ever seen, getting darker and brighter as the evening advanced, against the background of all the hills. A wondrous thing.

Just on a 'side note' here. Those walking within France sometimes found it tricky to get the bookings they wanted just after major starting points. Those who are walking are not sure of where they will be until a few days ahead, whereas those starting out had already reserved well ahead of time. People do tend to reserve in France, (whereas in Spain in the cheaper places, you can't.) However, I was very happy to discover that l'Esprit du Chemin, where I stayed in St Jean Pied de Port, has a 'quota' that they save up to allocate to those walking already from within France, for this very reason. They were also more than happy there, so long as they have room when you book, for those who have already been walking, to have a two night stay, as they recognise that those with 'tired bodies from the walk in France may well need a 'rejuvenation' time before crossing the Pyrenees. I loved my rest day in SJPP just wandering around and meeting up with people I had seen walking in previous days and weeks, all having a rest day as well!
Margaret

lorax...... I have just read your reply to others so will add a bit more here. I didn't personally stay at Honto though know people who did and who really enjoyed it there. It might be quite hot in August, especially if you start near the beginning of the month.

I allowed myself two months but never took that long, so you might find yourself with time to 'do something else' at the end. But your idea of taking time to explore is something that I am sure many people allow for themselves 'second time around. It does not have to be any kind of a race.
Margaret

Hallo

We are planning to start from SJPP in the beginning of August or beginning of September. If its August maybe our paths cross and we will definitely look you up

Regards
Bharat

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Howdy,

That sounds wonderful. I am thinking I will probably start around the 13/14 or 15th. I look forward to meeting you on the journey....

Blessings.

bpondugula said:
Hallo

We are planning to start from SJPP in the beginning of August or beginning of September. If its August maybe our paths cross and we will definitely look you up

Regards
Bharat

Karla...welcome to the Forum!

As you can see from the many responses to your question...the forum represents a broad range of experiences and sage advice about the Camino.

May I suggest that you also check FAQ and the Class of 2009 topics to get additional info and see who else may be walking the Way at the same time.

You and many others are what makes the Camino the international experience/pilgrimage that it is. You will be walking in the footsteps of heros, villians, the very rich and the nearly destitute, the religious, the heretic and the true believer. For whatever reason you've decided to make your Way to Santiago...may it bring you all you've desired and more!

Buen Camino,
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
True about the myriad of people walking the camino. Its truly an interesting place.

Arn said:
Karla...welcome to the Forum!

As you can see from the many responses to your question...the forum represents a broad range of experiences and sage advice about the Camino.

May I suggest that you also check FAQ and the Class of 2009 topics to get additional info and see who else may be walking the Way at the same time.

You and many others are what makes the Camino the international experience/pilgrimage that it is. You will be walking in the footsteps of heros, villians, the very rich and the nearly destitute, the religious, the heretic and the true believer. For whatever reason you've decided to make your Way to Santiago...may it bring you all you've desired and more!

Buen Camino,
Arn

The Camino is NOT for everyone. I am not sure how one knows before hand with certainty whether it will be "fun", but Karla did not like it. The adventure started in Ireland, which seems to have been draining, then other factors started piling on in Biarritz:

http://karlascamino.wordpress.com/

Like most blogs, it is "most recent" first, so you may want to read it in reverse order.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back