• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone Starting on July too? Change of Plans :)

SoulGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
April and May 2016
Hi guys!

Two days ago (Saturday, Feb 12th), I had this idea of doing the pilgrimage on April / May 2016.

And then, of course, I am feeling now a little bit overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to prepare for it!

I already found someone who is planning to do it around the same time.

At first I thought about doing half of the path (or walking 3 weeks), but now I feel I will do April 15th and hopefully from Pamplona! or maybe half way?

Anyone else doing it around the same time?

OMG! So overwhelming, it feels i am not prepared enough or wont have enough time (cause ill be working non stop until mid march!) and I thought about it doing the simplest way possible, not bring much...but it feels overwhelming bc it feels like i havent had enough time? :(

I feel I dont know where to start! help! hehe :)

Hope to meet some of you along the way :)

PS: after reading the solo female thread I realized I want to walk with other people, will definitely feel safer. Anyone wants to join?

XO

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi guys!

Two days ago (Saturday, Feb 12th), I had this idea of doing the pilgrimage on April / May 2016.

And then, of course, I am feeling now a little bit overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to prepare for it!

At first I thought about doing half of the path (or walking 3 weeks), but now I feel I will do April 15th and hopefully from Pamplona! or maybe half way?

OMG! So overwhelming, it feels i am not prepared enough or wont have enough time (cause ill be working non stop until mid march!) and I thought about it doing the simplest way possible, not bring much...but it feels overwhelming bc it feels like i havent had enough time? :(

PS: after reading the solo female thread I realized I want to walk with other people, will definitely feel safer. Anyone wants to join?

XO

SoulGirl:

You do not have to worry about being alone on the Camino Frances. There will be plenty of Peregrino's on this route. The VdlP is far less traveled than the Frances.

Keep reading different threads on the forum and post any questions you have.

Ultreya,
Joe

SoulGirl:

You do not have to worry about being alone on the Camino Frances. There will be plenty of Peregrino's on this route. The VdlP is far less traveled than the Frances.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thank you Joe,

Since I just decided two days ago, there is a LOT to figure out... I could even arrange the date of my trip to start later even in May if I know it will be more popular and safe. After reading a few threads, I feel that I would be safer (at least my peace of mind) if I had a group or more people :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SoulGirl:

Ultreya,
Joe
One last question Joe...

Which month has more people? I could change the date :) initially I thought about July and Aug instead of April and May..

Thank you Joe,

Since I just decided two days ago, there is a LOT to figure out... I could even arrange the date of my trip to start later even in May if I know it will be more popular and safe. After reading a few threads, I feel that I would be safer (at least my peace of mind) if I had a group or more people :)

SoulGirl:

By mid-April there will be scores of Peregrino's starting everyday. You will only be alone on the Camino if you choose to be.

The route is actually very safe. When you consider the thousands of Peregrino's each year, the incidents are nominal. That said, you need to walk within your comfort zone.

Ultreya,
Joe

One last question Joe...

Which month has more people? I could change the date :) initially I thought about July and Aug instead of April and May..

SoulGirl:

During April/May there will be approximately 50 to a couple hundred starting each day. July/August there will be several hundred each day. The weather will also be very different. I have walked all my Camino's in the March/April time frame. The Frances at that time is never crowded but still very populated. No bed race going on during the Spring. There are always trade offs.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi guys!

XO
Well, starting in Pamplona is a good place to start but if you want to finish in Santiago and not run your camino you might consider someplace closer like Leon or Burgos. You need a guide book and you need to research your camino on this forum. Once you have decided where to start your going to need plane tickets and probably bus and or train tickets which you can get once your there. Be advised, same day train and bus tickets cost more than advanced purchase tickets. What about gear. The forum preaches what the military calls "keep is simple stupid". You want to keep your gear simple and you need to practice minimalism. Use the forum for advice on what you need. If your not going to use it pretty much every day leave it home. If you don't walk a lot, start now. You will find yourself walking 5 to 6 days a week up to 15 miles a day. Finances, this is important be sure to inform your bank and credit card companies that your are traveling abroad, where you will be going, and the dates you will be gone. Failure to do so will result in you becoming a pan handling paragrina. As others have said you will walk with other pilgrims everyday. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Well, starting in Pamplona is a good place to start but if you want to finish in Santiago and not run your camino you might consider someplace closer like Leon or Burgos. You need a guide book and you need to research your camino on this forum. Once you have decided where to start your going to need plane tickets and probably bus and or train tickets which you can get once your there. Be advised, same day train and bus tickets cost more than advanced purchase tickets. What about gear. The forum preaches what the military calls "keep is simple stupid". You want to keep your gear simple and you need to practice minimalism. Use the forum for advice on what you need. If your not going to use it pretty much every day leave it home. If you don't walk a lot, start now. You will find yourself walking 5 to 6 days a week up to 15 miles a day. Finances, this is important be sure to inform your bank and credit card companies that your are traveling abroad, where you will be going, and the dates you will be gone. Failure to do so will result in you becoming a pan handling paragrina. As others have said you will walk with other pilgrims everyday. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Thank you sooo much!!!! :)))))))))

Me and my daughter starting 15 April from Saint Jean Pied de Port. we hope weather allow to cross the Napoleon rute, and in this case we will stop in Orisson for the night.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Or if you are able, consider walking in Sept, which is a lovely time on the Camino - and give yourself some breathing space to prepare and hopefully with more time on this forum, you might assuage your angst around your feeling of fear which you have mentioned. You will be with many pilgrims starting out and will be meeting even more along the way.

Or if you are able, consider walking in Sept, which is a lovely time on the Camino - and give yourself some breathing space to prepare and hopefully with more time on this forum, you might assuage your angst around your feeling of fear which you have mentioned. You will be with many pilgrims starting out and will be meeting even more along the way.
Thanks! yeah..I decided to change it and postpone to later...not sure yet (i need to start getting things done, plus reading books, etc), but i am thinking of starting: june/july or july/aug or aug/sep :)

I am walking this summer, hopefully starting around the first of July. I'm not worried about being alone, I know there will be tons of pilgrims there along the way that I won't truly be alone. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I started my Camino at the end of June last year, and had the same anxiety common to many traveling alone (first time on my own abroad). I hiked alone the first day mainly because I didn't start in SJPD until 11:00, but by the time I had my first pilgrim's meal in Roncesvalles, all was well and I was not alone for the rest of the trip unless in was of my own accord.

Bon Camino!

Here's a link to my blog if you wish: http://www.gyeephotography.com/buen-camino/

Alone in July???
With around 1600 pilgrims arriving every day in August (more than one per minute, day and night)!
Hope you are joking, because your problem will not be to avoid the loneliness, but much more to be unable to get it....

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back