• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone starting Via Francigena in April

Hurry Krishna

Indian on the Way
Time of past OR future Camino
2009 (from Sarria), 2014 from St Jean Pied de Port, 2016 from Porto, 2018 from Le Puy to Santiago.
we are setting out from Canterbury on easter Monday. And wondered if anyone in this group might be on the same path around that time? And of course all advice from those who have gone before is welcome🙏🏽😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walked the route last June/July to Martigny (from Canterbury).
Had to watch for thunderstorms several days between Calais and Chalons-en-Champagne, and the weather can be cool at nights in the Jura and foothills of the Alps.
Also, was warned by locals to watch for wild boars on some of the forest paths from Bar-sur-Aube to Orbe (mostly in the foothills and forests of the Jura Mountains). A staff or walking stick is advised for some of the descents in the Jura.
Otherwise, a wonderful hike, however, only met 12 (!) other pilgrims in 41 days on the trail. Fine by me, but some folks don't like the intense solitude.
Bon Courage et Bon Chemin!

II haven't completed my hike yet - but I would just check to see if there are any holiday closures of restaurants/supermarkets. Sundays and/or Mondays in France there are already a lot of restaurants and smaller supermarkets closed (and some big supermarkets). Being close to the holiday MIGHT add to that concern.

Otherwise - enjoy your hike!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wild bo
Walked the route last June/July to Martigny (from Canterbury).
Had to watch for thunderstorms several days between Calais and Chalons-en-Champagne, and the weather can be cool at nights in the Jura and foothills of the Alps.
Also, was warned by locals to watch for wild boars on some of the forest paths from Bar-sur-Aube to Orbe (mostly in the foothills and forests of the Jura Mountains). A staff or walking stick is advised for some of the descents in the Jura.
Otherwise, a wonderful hike, however, only met 12 (!) other pilgrims in 41 days on the trail. Fine by me, but some folks don't like the intense solitude.
Bon Courage et Bon Chemin!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All the b
If all goes well, starting the 24th of April from Canterbury, ferry booked for the 25th, then on to Rome hopefully. Trying to raise money for a children's hospice at the same time.
Best wishes 😊

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If all goes well, starting the 24th of April from Canterbury, ferry booked for the 25th, then on to Rome hopefully. Trying to raise money for a children's hospice at the same time.
If anyone is interested, I left Canterbury on April 24th, arrived in Rome on the 18th of June , 56 days, approximately 1325 miles, nearly 3 million steps, a few blisters ... Walked the entire route, no bus, no taxi just the endless trudge of one foot in front of the other. It had it's moments but I'd do it again tomorrow...

If anyone is interested, I left Canterbury on April 24th, arrived in Rome on the 18th of June , 56 days, approximately 1325 miles, nearly 3 million steps, a few blisters ... Walked the entire route, no bus, no taxi just the endless trudge of one foot in front of the other. It had it's moments but I'd do it again tomorrow...
That's awesome going. Congratulations 🎉 How did you get on at Grand St Bernard Pass? Was the Pass open for walkers?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's an impressive speed. I took 66 days and a lot of people found that quite hard to believe! When did you cross the GSB? Was the road still closed by snow? Did you need snowshoes for the final part to the pass?

That's awesome going. Congratulations 🎉 How did you get on at Grand St Bernard Pass? Was the Pass open for walkers?
Arrived at the pass on the 23rd of May, phoned the hospice at GSB for advice as the Napoleon Bivouac hotel didn't really know the conditions, The hospice told me to walk up the road as it had been cleared but was not open for traffic as some of the snow galleries created by clearing the road would still collapse back onto the road (caution required) . Do not use the path as snow condition we're not good. Thankful to be able to walk over as I really didn't want to take the bus through the tunnel, walking over the pass and staying at the hospice is perhaps the high point of the journey in more ways than one.

That's an impressive speed. I took 66 days and a lot of people found that quite hard to believe! When did you cross the GSB? Was the road still closed by snow? Did you need snowshoes for the final part to the pass?
Hi, replied to kiwi couple who asked the same question more or less. 66 days is a good time, I had to put in some ridiculous days to make up for time lost for bad weather, monotonous in places but a good challenge. Some people have questioned my time but with the wonders of modern technology I have gps verification of the whole route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hallo Martin
Congratulations on your achievement. I am VERY impressed. I was also supposed to go on the trip in April this year. But only to SBP. Maybe next year. I like to walk far, but I have only walked for two weeks, walking approx. 40 km per day. I would like to know if you have a plan of your daily stages? It would also be nice if you have a list of the places where you stayed overnight. Finally, I would like to know if you had a tent with you. And if that is the case, do you think you can do without the tent. Thanks in advance, Birgitte

Hallo Martin
Congratulations on your achievement. I am VERY impressed. I was also supposed to go on the trip in April this year. But only to SBP. Maybe next year. I like to walk far, but I have only walked for two weeks, walking approx. 40 km per day. I would like to know if you have a plan of your daily stages? It would also be nice if you have a list of the places where you stayed overnight. Finally, I would like to know if you had a tent with you. And if that is the case, do you think you can do without the tent. Thanks in advance, Birgitte
Hi Birgitte

I averaged 38 km per day over 56 days, Some days I did over 60km, other days less due to weather or terrain.
I did have a tent which I used on a few occasions, a couple of campsites and a bit of wild camping which isn't quite as easy as you think, I planned to camp more but due to the unusually poor weather (thunder storms, heavy rain etc) I used hostels and hotels more than I'd planned to, yes you can do without a tent if your budget allows you to find hotels etc.
As to the route I used mostly the 3 books of the cicerone guides by Sandy Brown, I occasionally split days, did double days or went a little off route to find suitable accommodation but these guides form a fairly good basis. I will add that I tried where possible to follow the historic route when the option existed.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone follows my itinerary but listened to their own body as to how far they go each day, we all have off days, each day when I started walking I didn't have a fixed destination in my mind, I just walked until fatigue, weather or even my mind told me to look for a place to stay. Some days you will feel like a short day but you must be prepared for the long days.

If you really need to know I can go over my records when I have a few minutes and make a list of the towns and villages I stayed in but as I've said it would be unwise to follow my itinerary to the letter.

There were times I couldn't wait to finish, there's a fair amount of tedium to deal with ( especially in France ) but I'd do it again tomorrow! In fact there are plans being made as we speak. Time will tell.

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin
Thanks for your reply. And sorry for my late reply. I think I'll leave my tent at home. Not too happy about having to go wild camp.
I think I have the same approach to hiking as you. I loosely plan the trip. I hate a plan that is too planned. Likes best to see how the day's form and mood are. I will use the Via francigena app and Maps.cz. Maybe I'll look in Sandy Brown's book. He's pretty good.
I was hoping that you might have posted your routes on Wikiloc or something similar. It's my odd hobby to look at people's routes, especially when they go far. And that is not often the case. If you don't mind and want to spend time on it, I will be very happy to see your notes. No bad felings if you don't want to.
Regards, Birgitte

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back