• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone stayed in Gite "Kayola" before Orisson?

agnesczaj

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP - SdC - Finisterre (Fall 2012)

Future:
Via de la Plata
Primitivo
Mozarabe
I was just about to make a reservation for Orisson but noticed on their website July news about new accommodation. It says Gite "Kayola" is open and costs $15 Euro per night. It's located 800m before Orisson. It's half of the cost but wanted to get your opinions!
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am somewhat confused by this....
I walked by Orisson in May again and I can't think of ANYTHING 800 meters before Orisson. It seems you round the curve and there is Orisson ... and nothing else.

I just realized they were talking about a km before Orisson. Still don't remember it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just read the link. The Gite Kayola has an equipped kitchen, but it sounds like they don't provide meals there. At Orisson the price generally is for demi-pension, and you can eat your evening meal and breakfast there included in the price you pay.
Margaret

Gite Kayola is owned by the same people as Orisson.
I think it would be a nice place for groups and they say that groups with cars are welcome.

From L'Esprit du Chemin
if you decide to spend the night and follow the high route, you have three options: Ferme Ithurburia (Hounto), after circa 1,5 hours of walking, Refuge auberge Orisson after approx. 2,5 hours of walking, and the Gîte Kayola (possibility to cook yourself) -by the same owner- 1 km before Orisson. Make your reservations well in advance. After Orisson there are only two, very simple, shelters and one source (the "fontaine de Roland"), and nothing else! (please note: when it has been hot for a long period of time, this source may have run dry).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all. Since the post was on their website, I thought it may be another accommodation option provided by the same ownership but wasn't sure. 30 euro is a bit high especially that it doesn't include meals (at least that's what it stays on their website). I read so many posts that it's worth staying there but if Kayola is half price, I may just as well go for it.
Do you know if the views are as magnificent as in Refuge Orisson? Thx :oops:

agnesczaj said:
30 euro is a bit high especially that it doesn't include meals (at least that's what it stays on their website).

€32 includes the evening meal, doesn't it? (Still not cheap by camino standards, I agree)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
agnesczaj said:
30 euro is a bit high especially that it doesn't include meals (at least that's what it stays on their website).
Do you know if the views are as magnificent as in Refuge Orisson?

The 32 Euro cost quoted for Orisson is for demi-pension, which does include both an evening meal and breakfast. That may sound high compared to Spanish prices, but for a French gite on the Le Puy route that is a fairly standard charge.

The views at Orisson are spectacular if you get a clear day. The evening I was there, there was a rainbow across the mountains that you could see, and it remains one of my most special memories from my 2008 Camino.
Margaret

I already spent quite a bit on transportation and equipment (only what's needed) :? so would like to save on the accommodation. :wink:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Kayola looked like a descent enough place when I visited in June for the app fact-checking mission. I didn't see it either, and I was on the lookout for new places. The sign on the house is hanging from one nail, and apart from the name Kayola there is nothing indicating that it is an albergue.

But it is there, and as far as I could tell it was the only albergue on that stretch that offered a self service kitchen. It had a nice yard, decent common areas, and didn't have too many beds. Orisson up the hill will bring down meals if that is your preference. You will still need to call for a reservation though, as there is no full time hospitalero there.

If you are interested in photos, I posted a few here:
http://wisepilgrim.com/albergue/kayola

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
wisepilgrim said:
Kayola looked like a descent enough place when I visited in June for the app fact-checking mission. I didn't see it either, and I was on the lookout for new places. The sign on the house is hanging from one nail, and apart from the name Kayola there is nothing indicating that it is an albergue.

But it is there, and as far as I could tell it was the only albergue on that stretch that offered a self service kitchen. It had a nice yard, decent common areas, and didn't have too many beds. Orisson up the hill will bring down meals if that is your preference. You will still need to call for a reservation though, as there is no full time hospitalero there.

If you are interested in photos, I posted a few here:
http://wisepilgrim.com/albergue/kayola

Thank you for the information! I ended up booking Orisson since the price includes two meals. :D

Personally I think Orisson offers a fantastic experience for the start of one's Camino, regardless of the price. The facilities are quite nice, and the community meal is a great way to kick of your pilgrimage. Each time I've stayed and eaten there I've met my Camino 'group', the people I've shared the entire journey with all the way to Santiago.

If budget is your primary concern, you can request a spot in one of the tents out back. This will save you a few euros, and give you a unique experience as well. The tents are surprisingly comfortable, and there are plenty of blankets to keep you warm. I had only a silk sleep-sack, not a sleeping bag, and I was quite comfortable.

Orisson: yes!

Nancy

I just received a response from the owner that Orisson is fully booked on the night that I plan to stay and he suggested Kayola. My question is if I'm going to cook my own food in the kitchen, where do I buy the ingredients? Does that mean I need to bring them all the way from SJPdP?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
lea_r said:
I just received a response from the owner that Orisson is fully booked on the night that I plan to stay and he suggested Kayola. My question is if I'm going to cook my own food in the kitchen, where do I buy the ingredients? Does that mean I need to bring them all the way from SJPdP?

Yes, that's right. You will need to shop for food in SJPdP. There are a few grocery stores on the rue de La Citadelle continuing west from the Pilgrim office as the camino route goes out of town. Perhaps the Pilgrim office volunteers can suggest their favorite spot.

Bon Chemin and Buen Caminol,

Margaret Meredith

I would walk to Kayola (its about 7km) and then walk back again to do the shopping but get a taxi to take me back up the hill!

I've stayed twice with Madam Ourtiague at Ferme Ithurburia at Honto and had demi-pension - she's not cheap but you get your own room and the food! She is absolutely the most brilliant cook. The other guests are always French. I agree Orrisson is a great meeting place but it is often full and Honto at least gets you part-way to Roncesvalles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at Kayola last May 8. We went up to Orisson for dinner and at the same time made reservations for breakfast the next morning.

I think too little is made of the fact that Orisson is a really great place for first-time pilgrims to spend their first night. Apart from splitting the SJPDP to Roncesvalles leg, into two shorter more easily attainable legs, the communual meals is really enjoyable, and you get the first opportunity to meet and greet other pilgrims on "The Way" .
Just remember to keep a smile on your dial when you say hello and you'll do just fine.
And what a place to spend an hour or so in the afternoon when the weather is reasonably fine.
But, and it's a big but, Reserve Early! Three or four months in advance is not too early!

I remember some folks walking up from Kayola for dinner then back after. They said going back wasn't too bad with good company, and a tummy full of good tucker and vino tinto. (Remember to book dinner, if you want it, and are staying at Kayola)

Buen (book early) Camino
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I am booked at Kayola on Sept 10th due to Orisson(sp) being full. I booked dinner and breakfast also at Orisson. Is my back pack fine back at Kayola during dinner? Or should I carry it with me?
Thanks.

H
I was just about to make a reservation for Orisson but noticed on their website July news about new accommodation. It says Gite "Kayola" is open and costs $15 Euro per night. It's located 800m before Orisson. It's half of the cost but wanted to get your opinions!
Hallo Agness,we stayed at Kayola last year in Sept and walked the 1 kilometer to Orisson and back - it is safe to leave your backpack there - it is also a short walk from SJdPP to Kayola,about 8 km - the gite was clean - if you are early you either have to wait for the people from Orisson to come and open the gite,normaly by 5'o clock or walk the easy 1 kilometer with backpack to Orisson.Enjoy your walk - buen camino - Johann Pretorius from South Africa

Hi there,

Here is a short summary of types of accommodation on the camino as you requested.

Regular tourist hotels and b and b's exist. B and b's in Spain are called casas rurales. Less expensive hotels are often referred to as hostals. Some people also rent just rooms or habitacions. Anyone can stay in all of these. These are generally private rooms with private bathrooms.

Pilgrim accommodations are in pilgrim albergues. Some are municipal; others private. Generally you can reserve spaces only in the private albergues. In these albergues you sleep in a common dorm and use shared toilet/shower facilities. To stay in any pilgrim accommodation you need a Pilgrim Passport or Credential.

In Saint-Jean the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I am booked at Kayola on Sept 10th due to Orisson(sp) being full. I booked dinner and breakfast also at Orisson. Is my back pack fine back at Kayola during dinner? Or should I carry it with me?
Thanks.
Contact Orisson a day before you get there to see if there are any last minute cancellations, one of the people I traveled with had reservations at Kayola and was told to come up to Orisson instead, and some people who have reservations there just pass it once they get there at 0930AM and decide to walk on to Roncevalles instead.
Your backpack will be fine at Kayola while out to dinner.

In October 2011, I stayed at Orrison and enjoyed the meal together with other pilgrims, but didn't connect with anyone from there further along the way.

In April 2012, I volunteered for 2+ weeks at L'Esprit du Chemin and connected with others who stayed there on my last night (and, in fact, I just said goodbye yesterday to one of my young German walking mates who was visiting here for two weeks!). We had to walk the Valcarlos route because of snow on the Napoleon route and I walked through to Roncesvalles and didn't stay at the Valcarlos albergue.

This year on September 22, I am staying at Beilari, the former L'Esprit du Chemin, and look forward to the evening meal with other pilgrims and possibly meeting walking-mates. I will stay at Orrison on the next night because many L'Esprit guests also stay there and I don't think I can comfortably walk from St.Jean to Roncesvalles. In 2011, I found that arriving before noon at Orrison made for a very long day with little to do and only the road to explore, so my plan this year is to spend more time in St. Jean the next moring to walk about the town and surrounding area instead of hitting the road at 8am, and to arrive at Orrison by afternoon beertime. It always depends on the weather, of course, and the Valcarlos Route is Plan B (but with no refund from Orrison!).

I stayed at Kayola last April because Orisson was full. As many suggested I think the owner who owns Orisson owns Kayola. Although Kayola has a kitchen, I recommend everyone join the dinner (and breakfast) at Orisson because the dinner was very good albeit it is a bit expensive. Being the first night and not having anything to compare with, I did not realize it was expensive but, hey, it is in France and when you have monopoly, things are more expensive. But meal was very good, (unlimited?) house wine, and dessert. After the meal everybody introduced him/herself? Surprised to learn how many people are experienced pilgrims. Being the first night, I thought it was great. I still remember well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Marylynn- seems we are on the same schedule-- Beilari on the 22nd and Refuge Orisson on the 23rd-- see you there!

Joe

Stayed last year went to Orisson for tea met some nice people to start my Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hallo Agnes,greetings from South Africa - 4 of us slept at Kyola in Sept 2012 - was clean.It belongs to the same people who owns Orisson.We walked to Orisson,telling we have arrived-made a booking before- we enjoyed a beer,bought a bottle of wine in the pub in Orisson,walked the 800 plus meters back and enjoyed a lovely evening,We bought food in SJdP,We left about between 9-10 and was at Kyola at about 2-3 o'clock the afternoon.It is worth to do it that way - cheaper and smaller.If you wish you can eat at Orisson and walk back.We left the next morning just after 7 and was in Roncesvalley before 4 o'clock.Hope it helps - Johann Pretorius.You can email me at kogga@webmail.co.za

I've stayed twice with Madam Ourtiague at Ferme Ithurburia at Honto and had demi-pension - she's not cheap but you get your own room and the food! She is absolutely the most brilliant cook. The other guests are always French. I agree Orrisson is a great meeting place but it is often full and Honto at least gets you part-way to Roncesvalles.
Hi
Would you be kind enough to send post the link for more information on this option?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back