• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone Tenting?

CowboyJoe

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving Tuesday for CF and debating whether to take my ultra-lightweight tent (2.2 lbs.), but it pushes my pack weight to 18 lbs., and that's 13% of my body weight. I know that free camping is not allowed in Spain, but also know that some have done it in a respectful manner. I have some concern with reports about the large numbers of pilgrims on the CF this year and thought a tent might give me peace-of-mind back-up. Anyone have recent experience tenting? Pros and cons? Thank you everyone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You don't need a tent. All you need is a ground sheet, sleeping pad, and a sleeping bag. If you want to bring anything else ... bring a vapor barrier for your bag.

And oh yeah, be careful where you set up. The best places to camp along the Camino are also the best places for a squat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Leaving Tuesday for CF and debating whether to take my ultra-lightweight tent (2.2 lbs.), but it pushes my pack weight to 18 lbs., and that's 13% of my body weight. I know that free camping is not allowed in Spain, but also know that some have done it in a respectful manner. I have some concern with reports about the large numbers of pilgrims on the CF this year and thought a tent might give me peace-of-mind back-up. Anyone have recent experience tenting? Pros and cons? Thank you everyone!

Honestly...
I don't see the point.
You'll regret the extra weight.

I thought about it before my first Camino. A tarp as a lightweight shelter for emergencies. But didn't take one.

As you will discover....it's not the backwoods and there are always options...

My next Camino (third) I will travel even lighter...

Last edited:
Hi CowboyJoe
I'm with Robo. But to add more- it's not scoffing at anyone bringing a tent - it's just that the more caminos one does, the more one is aware of keeping weight down. You will see once you have started out , that it is sound advice to leave a tent at home when it comes to the Frances route. There is so much choice , regardless of stories and hype about bed race. So many people end up with too much weight and having to dump it or pay to send ahead or home.
If you take the tent with your eyes open - then great. Most of us look longingly at the people we see on the path with those light backpacks.

Buen Camino.
Annie

If you're OK with the weight, I would suggest that you'll actually get far greater benefit from taking a third set of clothes (roughly same weight as your tent). Then, you can skip laundry every other day and have more time to enjoy the towns along the way.

EDIT: After further thought, and given that wild camping is widely prohibited, I would recommend against bringing a tent. The suggestions about tarps or vapor barriers make sense as a precautionary measure against extraordinary circumstance. But, to plan as an ordinary circumstance to camp in disregard of the law and the widely available albergues/lodging options runs contrary to being a good guest, IMO. <Having said that, let the firing squads line up.>

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe a compromise. Instead of a tent, bring just a ground pad. They really are made so lightweight these days, the weight won't be an issue. That way if it is a concern you get a bit of piece of mind knowing you can stretch out for the night on the ground if you have to. Be it outside or inside, or somewhere in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think of two pilgrim friends in particular who have done the Camino Francés more than once with tents (I've met many other people along the way with a tent, but these ones stand out most to me). One is from Hungary and camped in September/October the first time he went (frosty mornings by the time we got to Galicia!), and the other is from Northern Ireland. He's walked it in autumn and in freezing cold spring, and last year he and his girlfriend cycled the Camino with a tent (and they leave home next week to do the same again!)

They're respectful and careful each time they wild camp, and they find a different place if they're asked to move on.

Yes, their gear weighed a lot, more than I've ever thought I could hope to, or would want to carry. But they've managed, and maybe that has a lot to do with the fact that they wanted to make it work. They're two of the most resourceful, determined people I've ever met.

It's certainly not necessary to take a tent. I've personally, in four Caminos, only arrived at a full albergue once, and that was at 7:30pm (Ferreiros, a small municipal albergue in Galicia; my friend and I walked on to Portomarin and that was another great Camino adventure :)). But if you want to, it's doable. Maybe you can leave home something else from your pack to balance the extra weight gain?

Buen Camino, whatever you decide! It's freeing, I think, to know there's no wrong answer. :)

Rachel

All I carry in the winter to save weight is a rain fly (From tent) I just roll up in it. Works fine. The padding part look at the Big Agnes insulated pads very light. I don't use that in the winter either but with forests come tree boughs. But the pad in the summer is great!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
On my first camino I brought an ultra lightweight tent and dumped it three days later in Pamplona. (Sending it forward was too expensive)
Now I always just bring along my Exped Synmat Hyperlyte for peace of mind.
Used it a couple of times when everything was full and I had to sleep on the kitchen floors etc.

If lots of pilgrims are stranded the powers that be make deals with local hotels to charge pilgrim prices or open up a school for sleeping, but don't count on it.
Sure enough I will bring my inflatable pad along next time, that's 350gram that's worth it for me.
(Also handy to escape snore infested hot humid dorm rooms with 300 years old beds; in some places the kitchen floor is not the worst place to sleep :) )

Maybe a compromise. Instead of a tent, bring just a ground pad. They really are made so lightweight these days, the weight won't be an issue. That way if it is a concern you get a bit of piece of mind knowing you can stretch out for the night on the ground of you have to. Be it outside or inside, or somewhere in between.
Good idea! Am doing it! Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the answer to this question really differs depending on what approach you wanna take for your trip.

although keeping the weight down is a MUST for this sort of activities, many people can accept this trade off ratio Weight vs Outdoor Camping.

The lighter you are, less likely you will have injuries. But this is not always true. Some people can go on and on with heavy loads just for the fun of being able to sleep where they want, to stay in the outdoors, to sleep under the stars, to cook their own meal, so on so forth.

During climbing expeditions I have trekked carrying backpacks with up to 100lbs... Thats before getting to the base and start the real effort...

My point is: It all depends... If you are fit, you know you can do it, you know you are ready, and you LOVE to have this kind of freedom, then a tent is a pretty good deal to take with you in this sort of adventure.

I have wrote about this experience a couple of times so I wont repeat myself with details but once; have walked from Le Puy to Finisterra: I was in the Camino for almost 80 days and most of them I slept in my tent... Or just bivouacking when I could find a good place to do so. I had a small stove with me, a small pan, etc. And I just loved to stop wherever I wanted, brew my fresh coffee, prepare my food, etc as integrated with the outdoors as I could.

Was it heavy? Hell yeah... I could have easily chopped off at least 3 or 4 kgs have I decided to walk in a "normal way"... But then again: What is normal anyways? Don`t we all have to do it our own way?

The bottom line is that I had one of the greatest times of my life during this particular journey...

Is it better to camp in the Camino? Is it worst? There is no right answer to that. It all depends on what you feel like doing and if you are sure you can cope with the extra weight.

Whatever your choice, one thing is indeed a must (although a bit off topic but always nice to remind people about this): Carry your own litter,trash,waste,etc with you! Doesnt matter if you are camping or sleeping in a "5 start" pensione along the way, no one should leave not even one little small piece of their crap behind...

Ultreia et suseia!

Last edited:
In 2013 walked the camino del norte and primitivo. At some point I decided to sleep outside- when there was a garden next to the albergue, to avoid the snorrers :). Slept on a mat and had my sleeping bag- and this was great (would still pay of course for the Albergue). In this way there was also no need to rush for a place to stay. I am thinking of bringing a light weight tent during my next camino- just for the sense of freedom and I dont mind carrying some more weight- guess that is a personal choice. Buen camino in any case!
Leaving Tuesday for CF and debating whether to take my ultra-lightweight tent (2.2 lbs.), but it pushes my pack weight to 18 lbs., and that's 13% of my body weight. I know that free camping is not allowed in Spain, but also know that some have done it in a respectful manner. I have some concern with reports about the large numbers of pilgrims on the CF this year and thought a tent might give me peace-of-mind back-up. Anyone have recent experience tenting? Pros and cons? Thank you everyone![/QUOT

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't bother we ....my hubby carried ours and we used it once only because we found a site....your never away from a motorway or villages with taxi or accommodation so don't let the "bed thing bother you " the albergue are not as restful as one might think .... They always have a phone book and taxi for going on to another part if necessary..

Had a lightweight tent, no problem carrying, but it wasn't really necessary.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back