• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone training for the Camino in Melbourne?

jazzy33

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows of any training/walking groups that meet for walks in Melbourne to train up for the Camino or if anyone can recommend any good walks in and around melbourne they did to train up on the weekends?

many thanks,

:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mt dandenong is a good place to prepare if you plan to start at SJPP. There is a Melbourne group but I don't believe they have training runs. If you want to train with someone the best option is to join a walking club.

Frank

Hi Jazz

Have you tried any long distance walking before? I mean like waking 15 - 20 km daily with small breaks?

To start your training off you might want to leave the car at home and walk down to the corner shop on the weekends or to the train / bus station. That way you can break in the shoes that you will be wearing and also walk around with a small daypack just to get used to the weight. Nothing specific is really required to walk the camino just general fitness.

As Frank said the Dandenongs are a good place to start. I have walked the CF twice once over the Pyrenees and once on the road due to weather conditions. So preparation is the key.

So my advice is start off small and work your way up. When are you going to walk?

Buen Camino and have fun planning

Sharon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a good circuit walk in the Werribee Gorge state park (entry just past Bacchus Marsh on the Western Highway) It's about 10 to 12 k's but has all sorts of terrain and surfaces. Plus it's far more picturesque than most people imagine. We have seen koalas, wallabies and a lot of bird life.
As far as daily training I walk an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening (usually along the port melbourne, stkilda esplanade but about 5k's each session) without carrying a pack but do carry a pack on weekend walks of about 10+ k's. Not necessarily carrying our full camino weight.
I think it's more about k's in the legs because no amount training will fully prepare you for the camino. In the end you build up your final capacity in the first few weeks of the actual walk.
We walked the CF in April / May 2009 and plan to go again about April 20, next year.
Cheers
Ian

I am at Cape Woolamai on Phillip Island doing a few training walks. From Cleeland Bight beach up around the Cape, down to the Colonnades and back along the Street is a great 3 hr 30min walk. The Bass Coastal Walk from Punchbowl Rd to Kilcunda, 15km return, (stopping at Kilcunda Genral store for a cafe con leche) has lots of hills and is very beautiful. Circuits of Churchill Island. Also plan to take a bus to Wonthaggi and walk back to Anderson or Phillip Island - 17km or 23km.
all nicer walks than my usual treks around Melbourne's streets!

Watch out for snakes on that Kilcunda walk. It's great but lots of long grass I recall. Especially this time of year.

Have a great time on the island.

Ian

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm from Melbourne , and normally do the coast walks on the bay, currently I am in Townsville and I am walking along the Ross river great walking tracks with lots of wildlife, no snakes yet but the was a crocodile at the waters edge. It is very warm an humid and after two hours of waking your tshirt is soaking wet. They hav a fantastic swimming pool complex on the riverside fantastic to wind down in after a hot walk. I'm looking forward to getting back to Melbourne where the morning walks are much cooler,

I agree that you really can't prepare/ train fully for the Camino unless you do the same amount of walking with a pack as you would on the Camino. I have completed 3 full caminos and barely trained for any of them, if you plan to start in SJPP I strongly suggest some big hills.

I live on the Mornington Peninsula am over 70 and plan to do the walk. Anyone on the peninsula or eastern suburbs of Melbourne interested in walking or sharing info? My friends think I am insane to want to do the walk. They would rather cruise. Oh dear .....

Ok pilgrims

Seems there is some interest in a get together walk so I am suggesting for those that want to meet, a short (about 15 k) walk this coming Sunday.
Meeting point is the cafe on the esplanade opposite the end of Pickles street Port Melbourne at 9 am.
I suggest we take a slow walk, east along the walking and cycle trail following the coast for perhaps 8 or 9 k's and return. The route is flat and lots of stops for coffee and drinks (like the camino). Packs optional if your serious regarding training (don't think I will be taking mine). Just get some more k's in the legs with like minded people.
Sunday weather looks reasonable but sun block, hats and water important.
Please let me know if you would like to come along. We are in practise for the CF in April.

Ian and Cath.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jazzy 33,

Without a pack , walk 2 hrs , just strolling, anywhere on any terrain....................6---7 km.
But you must sooner or later do the same with a pack on ........don't do any more , no need.

** As long as you start off slow on the Camino , 15-20km a day for 2 or 3 days , the rest will be enjoyable.
Pain , yes , but something that will change /stay with you forever.
You will get fit on the way, just allow 43 days to Muxia [ a must ] and enjoy.
Best wishes,
David

Hi,

The training is very informal so I suggest that you plan a walk then post the details here and see if you get any takers. A group of 9 of us walked from Lysterfield Park to Churchill Park the Sunday before last. 14.5km, some had packs, coffee in Belgrave and shared transport. A great time together and it was all organised by one person who spread the word by email.

A book I find useful in planning walks is Day Walks Victoria by John & Monica Chapman and John Siseman. It is self published, try John Chapman, GPO Box 598D, Melbourne 3001.

I support all the previous comments about training. Don't ruin your Camino experience on day 1 by not having prepared yourself and your kit.

Rob

Hi Everyone

I'm about to start my training for the Camino. I'm flying out on 25 August but don't arrive at SJDP until the 31st and start walking on 1 September. Shoes have just been bought and waiting for my orthotics and then the backpack. The aim is that before I leave I've done a few days with a full back pack and walking up to 30 kilometres.

I love reading all the information on the forum and peoples discussions. It is so exciting and yet a little daunting at the same time.

Cheers all.

Naomi

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Everyone,

I am also on training for my first camino - April 22 from SJPP to Finsterre. I walk Port Melbourne/South Melbourne/Albert Park on weekends with my pack on (8kgs) and do shorter 5kms walk during the week. Someone posted about training in Werribee Gorge, I will go check it out in the next couple of weeks.

If there are future "walking" meetups, please keep me posted.

thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back