• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone up for helping puzzle a few Caminos together

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I'm in the beginning stages of reading up on the Portuguese (thanks Magwood, enjoying your blog).
We are booked to start in Lisbon, I am leaning towards hanging out on the coastal routes described in some threads.
We will have an open ended ticket. I'm trying to figure out a way to
Do Lisbon to Santiago
Do the Faros route (and if I do this getting to Santiago isn't as important to me)
Working our way around back to Ribideo and then finishing up on the Primitivo.

Wondering how long this would take (we are strong walkers) and if there is a formal route (via hiking) to pull this off.
I will be with two of my children, my youngest two, my daughters ages 10,12.
They are strong hikers having done Le Puy-Finesterre this past fall.
We have the time and passion and dreaming of doing this if possible.
Thanks in advance,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Love Faro and the Portuguese will be my next (if any) camino so will be following this post with interest.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bear in mind the rules on the pilgrim office website - you are supposed to start in a place and head to Santiago:

"It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James"

If you don't do that, and your sellos tell the story of tourism, your right to use the public, parish and donativo albergues comes into question. If you stay in private accommodation, you can of course do what you want.

Bear in mind the rules on the pilgrim office website - you are supposed to start in a place and head to Santiago:

"It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James"

If you don't do that, and your sellos tell the story of tourism, your right to use the public, parish and donativo albergues comes into question. If you stay in private accommodation, you can of course do what you want.

Great advice for those seeking the Compostela, we've been there and done that so not as important to us, but glad that you have reminded us of this. In the end arriving to Santiago via the Primitivo appears to be what would happen. Mind you I understand that is not the way the vintage pilgrim would have searched out Santiago (going all around it to then arrive at it).
We typically sleep outside so taking up good pilgrim beds I hope will not be an issue, but something to think about as I had not thought of that.
Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back