Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Anyone use a Montbell backpack?

trecile

Camino Addict
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I'm not looking for a new backpack (really!), but I get marketing emails from Montbell because I have purchased a few things from them in the past, and I like their quality. I decided to check out their backpacks, and they have a couple of very lightweight ones that look like they would be good for the Camino.
Both are the Versalite series - the Versalite 30 and 40.

The Versalite 30 only weighs 605 grams/21.3 ounces!
And the Versalite 40 weighs 710 grams/25 ounces.

Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Anhalter

2019 CF
They are missing at least one thing i like (daisy chain), and are a bit to heavy for my taste. On the other hand, they are way cheaper than the typical UL backpacks and don't seem to have any obvious flaws. So i see no reason they should not be considered an option (if they are a comfortable fit for the specific user of course!)

Albert_Hadacek

Young Pilgrim
Portugues - 2015
Norte - 2016, 2020
Frances - 2018
It is a shame they don't have the "separate back" layer like Osprey backpacks. It helps with the smell a lot :D

Paul McAmino

Blue Ridge
Hi Trecile,

Thanks for posting this. I like the idea of light and small packing.

Except for a torso measurement it’s not clear from the info on their site whether these are suitably sized for women or are intended to fit anyone. I’ve sent them a message to ask about this and will let you know what I find out.

All the best,
Paul

Paul McAmino

Blue Ridge
For those who might be interested, I asked the people at Montbell this question:

Is the Versalite 30 backpack suitable for women/unisex?

Here is their response:

We believe so, but please keep in mind the waist belt and shoulder straps are fixed and cannot be adjusted up or down the length of the pack. The item fits a torso length of approx. 30 inches.
—-
This response seems a little odd to me, since their description of the backpack (Versalite 30) gives this information:

Torso length: 20.9 in / 53 cm

Not sure what to think, but I guess we’re back to the original question of @trecile.
Has anyone tried this pack out?

All the best,

Paul

E

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances