• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone use a ScotteVest?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My guess is that Annie is pairing the ScotteVest with her Macabi. Sounds like a great idea! I paired my ScotteVest with hiking/cargo pants. I had lots of pockets for stashing all the necessaries, and the vest is fabulous for air travel too. On the Camino it provided the extra layer I needed at times, and I am inclined to think that, zipped all the way up, it thwarted a would-be pick pocket in Barcelona on my way home. Down side to the ScotteVest? Beside the expense, I would find it uncomfortably hot on a summer Camino; plus it's a bit heavy. Still, I love it.

Thanks. I was just wondering because the macabi pockets hold so much. While we were in Paris I dragged my friends off to the Sainte Chapelle and you have to go through the security for the Palais de Justice to get in there, so everything out of the pockets. I hauled out my poncho, hat, guidebook, water, notebook, pen, two wallets, kleenex,glasses, camera, ipod, phone, etc--enough to over fill one of the little tubs, and they couldn't stop laughing, said I was like a clown car.
But yeah, I can see that with a vest like that you could probably get away with just a fanny pack for your extra shoes, because everything else would fit in your pockets.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wouldn't all the stuff get in the way of the backpack's shoulder and waist straps? I have safari vst that I did consider using because of all the pockets but it's cotton and once filled with all sorts get really bulky. BTW, Macabis are on sale. Time to order if you are interested in the new model.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie, which Scott e vest are you getting?

I'll be curious as to how you like it, Annie. Please report back. I have to say that the girl in the video (who is pretty slim) looks like she's wearing a pumpkin and I don't think there's anything in those pockets yet. At least with the macabi nobody guesses you've got all that stuff with you (unless you clunk while you walk).

EDITED to add link to video on youtube:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'll be curious as to how you like it, Annie. Please report back. I have to say that the girl in the video (who is pretty slim) looks like she's wearing a pumpkin /QUOTE]

Hahaha!
Well, that's why I'm asking.
I ordered it and will try it out and let you know.
There are SO many pockets that when you are walking the Camino, you wouldn't have to fill those top ones.

I took mine, the lightweight, synthetic, mesh lined, short sleeved travel model. I intended to use it on a daily basis on an early Autumn Frances. In St Jean I realised that it was always going to be an extra layer as I didn't feel comfortable wearing it as a shirt/single outer layer. I posted it on with other gear to Ivar.
Where it was really handy was in being able to carry all my electronic gear and documentation into aircraft cabins and around European cities.
Not being subject to weight scrutiny the enormous pocket across the back enabled me to smuggle on board extra clothing, and other odds and sods. I would just front up at security, peel off the jacket and place it on the conveyor for xray purposes, so very good for keeping all your valuables together and safe.
I have also used it in this fashion when also taking a pack as cabin baggage.

In conclusion, a handy smart little piece of clothing, but in my view not suitable for wearing as hiking clothing on an summer/autumn Camino.
I met a couple who wore very lightweight cotton vests with lots of pockets, photographic ones? They appeared very happy with their choice.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In St Jean I realised that it was always going to be an extra layer as I didn't feel comfortable wearing it as a shirt/single outer layer.

Yes, I wondered about that. For my walk in Sept I used a Columbia Tamiami shirt as my outer layer. It has hidden pockets, too, but not so many or so large. But it was perfect for walking the second half of Sept-- sleeves rolled down in the mornings when it was chilly, then fastened up when it warmed up. The only thing I disliked about it was the stupid rod holder loop. Annie, if the Scottevest turns out to be too much, you might want to check out some of the Columbia shirts:

http://www.columbia.com/womens-pfg-...-tops&dwvar_FL7278_variationColor=100#start=2

But they definitely don't hold nearly as much as the vests do.

Last edited:
Wouldn't all the stuff get in the way of the backpack's shoulder and waist straps?
No, the straps didn't get in the way of anything. Here's a pic of me wearing the women's lightweight summer 'travel' vest which I bought in 2012; the link which @pudgypilgrim provided above shows a slightly different design so the style has changed since 2012. In the pic below it's hard to see the vest with all my paraphernalia (and I'm holding some of the photographer's gear) but the pack's hip straps cinch up under the vest. And I had easy access to all the pockets. Yes, there is a pocket there that can hold a water bottle, but I never used it for that, as I didn't like the look. And it helps if one is methodical about what one stores in what pocket or the other; I wasn't, and I spent a lot of time searching for things.
Camino 075.1.jpg

Hi Annie
I have a couple of ScotteVests and used one - RFID Travel Vest (18 pockets) - on my Camino. I didn't walk in it but used it in the evening with the pockets loaded with phone (earphones plumbed through the collar), euros, credit cards etc. Worked really well. As I have an Aarn pack, the front pockets double as a purse or holdall while walking.

I have walked in the Travel Vest on trips but mainly long day walks. No issue with accessing pockets.

I also have the SeV QUEST Vest (42 pockets!) that I always travel in. It's probably a bit too heavy duty for the Camino but fabulous for transiting airports etc. It also has a hood to disappear in when you need to sleep on a long haul. My neck pillow fits in the huge pocket across the back and acts as a back support when stowed.

Agree with your take on the water bottle pocket and being methodical about the pockets. I always told my hubby to make sure that he searched through all the pockets if I had an accident.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I wondered about that. For my walk in Sept I used a Columbia Tamiami shirt as my outer layer. It has hidden pockets, too, but not so many or so large. But it was perfect for walking the second half of Sept-- sleeves rolled down in the mornings when it was chilly, then fastened up when it warmed up. The only thing I disliked about it was the stupid rod holder loop. Annie, if the Scottevest turns out to be too much, you might want to check out some of the Columbia shirts:

http://www.columbia.com/womens-pfg-...-tops&dwvar_FL7278_variationColor=100#start=2

But they definitely don't hold nearly as much as the vests do.
Great minds think alike!
I also wear the Tamiami 11 long sleeve, after picking off all the 'Columbia' signage. Sleeves down chilly mornings, sleeves rolled up during the day, buttons down front open as required in the heat. Yet to find a use for the rod holder loop! Maybe for holding a banana? Small one.
Regds
Gerard

An interesting thread. I am planning on taking mine.

I have a sleeveless (gilet?) ScotteVest which I wear here in the UK during the English summer (what that?) months.
It is useful and does have numerous pockets and hideaways - possibly too many.

But as Gerard gerardcarey and Wokabaut_Meri have pointed out it is very useful for "loading" yourself up for airplane flights and avoiding breaching the weight limits and consequent extra fees.
However in hot weather, with stuff - even only a little - in the pockets it can become a hot encumbrance.

Better as Gerard and pudgypilgrim suggested a loose, light, ventilated long-sleeve shirt over a t-shirt will fit the bill.

Like Wokabaut_Meri I have an Aarn pack (mine - 30 litre) with which I will train at its projected camino-weight in advance of my repeatedly being postponed (illness) camino!

As they say "don't procrastinate, do it tomorrow".

I wish!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And for those like me that wonder what a ScotteVest is, here the link http://www.scottevest.com/
SY
Thanks SY - I also had no idea what it was/is so had already consulted Dr Google!!
Whilst I can see its benefits I think it might be too tempting to pack those "just in case" items. I have a packsafe should bag that will take my iPad and a few extras anything else that is too big stays in larger pack (securely looked). Cheers

This year, I've bought a ScotteVest to use on the Camino. Anyone here have one? Feedback?
I've had one for years. I bought it super cheap through www.Magellans.com. I've used it a couple of times on flights and as far as going through TSA, that part is great. However, it is weighty on its own (at least the one I have is) and I find it too warm for me as I'm just too hot blooded (I've actually been thinking about selling it). As I recall you're easily chilled; so if the weight isn't a problem for you, you might do well with it. ;)

The advantage of this thing is that it has lots of pockets? Great if you're methodical and organised. If not, a recipe for public humiliation as you empty them all trying to find something. 2 pockets are plenty.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A girl just can't have enough pockets :rolleyes:

Fortunately they also have little logos so you can locate lost items plus a handy pocket map for when you get home to ensure that you empty all the pockets :confused:

They are very popular with journalists who travel a lot as iPads, batteries, iPhones, glasses, pens, passports, money, cards etc all fit into the one jacket or coat. They really come into their own when going through security at airports - you just take it off, lay it flat and then pick it up, put it on and you're off again. Plus as @bystander noted, it's a real aid to getting around carry-on limits.

I ordered a vest and it will arrive tomorrow.
I'll try it and see what I think. I do tend to get cold more than hot so it may work for me.
I'll report back.

Right now I'm trying to see if there is a good substitute for the ALTUS.
So far I haven't found one, even for my newer (and not as good) ALTUS.

Does anyone know what year those changed?
If anyone has an older one for sale, I might be interested in buying it.

This year, I've bought a ScotteVest to use on the Camino.

Anyone here have one?
Feedback?
I bought one the Portuguese camino. Too hot when walking the caminos and too bulky with a pack. Its good for a packless day hikes, city walks, and plane travel, which is how I used it mine.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The advantage of this thing is that it has lots of pockets? Great if you're methodical and organised. If not, a recipe for public humiliation as you empty them all trying to find something. 2 pockets are plenty.
I have this very problem with it, LOL.

Apropos getting around carry on limits, I had a dear friend who went on a trip to the US with her daughter. Naturally, they did a bit of clothes shopping. After stuffing all their bags to the gills, there was still more to pack. So they hit on the bright idea of wearing 5 outfits each on the trip home. Stern, humourless airport officials made them remove the outer 4 and pay excess baggage. I wonder if you could pack clothes in this Scotte thing...

Annie
I have both of the Scottie vests,and have used them on several trips overseas. I took the heavy weight model to India and found it was too hot for me. They are very durable and have a lot of pockets. So many that sometimes I can't remember where I put things. I look like a third base coach giving signals while trying to find my sunglasses or various documents, duh! The light weight model is better for warmer conditions, but does not have the breast pockets,which I like for camera and note pad. They are a little uncomfortable while carrying a pack. They are also cut a bit longer than a normal vest , which is a plus for comfort, and not looking like a misplaced fly fisherman on the trail. I use mine on all of my plane trips for convenience to carry documents and cell phone etc. they do distribute the carrying weight quite well, and can be very heavy before you realize just how much stuff you can put in all of those pockets. I used mine instead of a pack on my last trip to South America and it worked out pretty good. Now if I can only find that half eaten candy bar that is in one of those pockets , before I throw it in the washer. I have had my vests for almost ten yrs. and they are still holding up with no signs of old age. All in all , a good choice for travel . Also they don't seem to show what is in your pockets from the outside,which is good for security purposes, and with it zipped up,would be a real deterrent to those pesky pick pockets. Hope this is helpful, just my opinion .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It arrived today.
I'm in love with it.
I'm going to take it and leave my jacket at home.
I'll take a fleece to wear under it.
HOORAY!

Can you do us a favour and post a review how it worked out on a walk with a backpack on your shoulders? I am on the fence, but as I can only order it online and not try it out before I would like to hear of the experience of others. Buen Camino, SY

Can you do us a favour and post a review how it worked out on a walk with a backpack on your shoulders? I am on the fence, but as I can only order it online and not try it out before I would like to hear of the experience of others. Buen Camino, SY

Yes, of course.
I think even if I didn't wear it to Spain, I'd be in love with it.
I'm just not a purse person and this is a grab and go vest that you can keep everything you need in for shopping, traveling, whatever.

But yes, I'm curious as to how it will work with a pack. I may try that out here in the desert before I go.

And for those like me that wonder what a ScotteVest is, here the link http://www.scottevest.com/
SY

If you go to their website and click on the Outlet link, they have something called a Kelly Jacket.
If I had it to do over again, I'd order that instead of the vest I got.
I paid for overnight shipping so it would be too expensive to send back and exchange, but I wish I'd looked closer.

Take a look and watch the video.
And it is half price!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This year, I've bought a ScotteVest to use on the Camino.

Anyone here have one?
Feedback?
Yes, it is the best thing I bought for the Camino, after of course backpack and boots! I still use it a lot for traveling - it holds my mini iPad, the iPhone etc.etc. Only trouble is that there are so many pockets that you tend to lose things from time to time around your person! It is expensive, but I LOVE it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lol! I thought you might...
(Very tempted myself but they don't have it in my size. Phew!)

I loved the red travel vest today.
I left it unzipped and snapped the waist belt under the vest, which is short.
The temperature here was around 75 degrees F and I didn't feel hot. In fact, on the way back, I was walking into a breeze and it caught the breeze nicely and cooled me off.
It did fine under the pack, however, I did not fill the top pockets.
Also, what they say about carrying a water bottle is baloney unless you carry one the size of a small baby bottle.
My 8 oz bottle would not fit into the pocket, but that doesn't seem like it would be comfortable anyway.
And I do carry my water bottle in my Macabi skirt pocket.
For these reasons, and because of the magnetic removable arms, I've ordered the Kelli Jacket which is on sale for half price right now.
It has fewer pockets, placed lower, and I'm in love with the removable arms. It will mean I can leave my jacket at home.

I'll let you know how the Kelli Jacket does.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wouldn't all the stuff get in the way of the backpack's shoulder and waist straps? I have safari vst that I did consider using because of all the pockets but it's cotton and once filled with all sorts get really bulky. BTW, Macabis are on sale. Time to order if you are interested in the new model.

On the topic of Macabis - has anyone tried the new Slim fit model? I wish they'd post some pics of the skirt showing the waist uncovered by a top!! Will the pockets hold as much? Will filled pockets look bulky in the Slim skirt given there is less material to hide under ?

On the topic of Macabis - has anyone tried the new Slim fit model? I wish they'd post some pics of the skirt showing the waist uncovered by a top!! Will the pockets hold as much? Will filled pockets look bulky in the Slim skirt given there is less material to hide under ?
I bought one today. I'll post when I get it. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very envious! I ordered one but for some reason the postage was exhorbitant - as much as the skirt practically - so I refrained :(
Do tell us what it's like :)

Postage - OUCH! :eek: $US44 to post to Australia plus $US61 for the skirt = about $AU145!! Eeek! I'll wait to hear the reviews of the Slim fit. If any Camino members are travelling from USA to OZ and are willing to carry some Macabi skirts, do let us know:rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.