A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Anyone use Hoka One One shoes?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I am considering possibly using Hoka One One trail runner type shoes for my June Camino on the Le Puy. Has anyone out there used these, and if so, how did they hold up? I hear they are great for plantar faciatis, which I do not have. Do the squishy, thick soles hold up well? Thanks for any input.

Advertisment

I purchased the Tor Summit hiking shoes. Waterproof with Vimram soles.
Experience tells me never to buy shoes without Vibram soles.
I also bought, for training, the Hoka Speed Goats. Very well ventilated, also with Vibram soles. A much more lightly constructed shoe. They held up well and imo would be suitable for late spring/summer/early autumn Caminos.
Regards
Gerard

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)
I bought a pair as I'd heard they were great for dealing with Portuguese cobblestones. Initially a bit hesitant as they're not always the most aesthetically pleasing (those colours), but now I'm a total convert. They literally give you a spring in your step! I was worried the 'squishy-ness' would affect stability, but the soles are wide so they feel stable once on. They're also very light weight. I've never been obsessed with gear, but these really have changed my walking experience. Have had them for about 8 months and they seem to be holding up well.

Last edited:
YES!! I finished my first Camino Frances in November and wore my Clifton HOKAS all the way. I never got a blister and still am wearing the shoes. They were a major factor in my being able to finish the Camino in good shape at age 74! At the end of each long day, I would literally thank my HOKAS for being there!

Advertisment

I purchased the Tor Summit hiking shoes. Waterproof with Vimram soles.
Experience tells me never to buy shoes without Vibram soles.
I also bought, for training, the Hoka Speed Goats. Very well ventilated, also with Vibram soles. A much more lightly constructed shoe. They held up well and imo would be suitable for late spring/summer/early autumn Caminos.
Regards
Gerard
I love HOKAS and would like to try the hiking boots. How are you liking them as compared to the regular shoes. I have Clifton’s and Bondis

Finnie

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2015 Camino Portugese (April 2016)
I am considering possibly using Hoka One One trail runner type shoes for my June Camino on the Le Puy. Has anyone out there used these, and if so, how did they hold up? I hear they are great for plantar faciatis, which I do not have. Do the squishy, thick soles hold up well? Thanks for any input.
I walked the Portugues last year in Hokas and they were incredibly comfortable on the cobbles and asphalt. I had just recovered from a long bout of PF so I was a bit paranoid about protecting my feet. I highly recommend Hokas unless you have very narrow feet, I think they tend to be on the wide side.
Hope this helps

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I walked the Portugues last year in Hokas and they were incredibly comfortable on the cobbles and asphalt. I had just recovered from a long bout of PF so I was a bit paranoid about protecting my feet. I highly recommend Hokas unless you have very narrow feet, I think they tend to be on the wide side.
Hope this helps
Do you think they would be good on slippery rocks in rain? The soles are kind of different, not vibram, but interesting.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
Love, love, loved them. After Keens on the Frances I used them on the Portuguese, and they were great on the cobblestones. Yes, they have thick soles, but if you look inside the shoe you will see that the foot bed sits low in the shoe, providing lots of stability (my balance is not the best). The support is good too. I have super feet but left them at home. Didn't need them.

Camino(s) past & future
All these positive comments are making me feel more confident about these shoes. Thank you!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances from SJPP on 2015, 2016, 2018
Way of St. Francis, Italy April 2017
Portuguese (2018)
I love HOKAS and would like to try the hiking boots. How are you liking them as compared to the regular shoes. I have Clifton’s and Bondis
I wore the Hoka tor summit mid on 3 Caminos and loved them. Unfortunately, they have discontinued this boot and I don't feel the same about the replacement. It is not nearly as cushy. I still see that they have the Hoka tor summit low which I have and like also. I bought every pair of the boots in my size that I could find and am good for a few years. ;)

Finnie

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2015 Camino Portugese (April 2016)
Much as I love the Hokas ( challengers) for Camino hiking I find the fabric on the uppers goes into holes fairly easily. Probably they were developed for running rather than hiking on rugged terrain like the Norte.

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
I wore Hoka on two Caminos, same shoe that I run in.

The waterproof Hoka Tor Summit shoe and boot models are sturdier, therefore slightly heavier. I was anticipating using them in rain/mud and my feet don't like getting wet. Another reason for selecting them was my intention to travel in Europe, attending family gatherings, going out in the evening. They are more acceptable as evening wear. I'd feel like I was wearing a Xmas tree on each foot with the other colourful models.
Regards, I'm on my way, (transiting in Singapore airport typing this)
Gerard

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Future (God-willing): Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo (2018)
Regards, I'm on my way, (transiting in Singapore airport typing this)
Gerard
Stop typing on your phone @gerardcarey Look up, look around you - I’m sure there’s a atory happening somewhere nearby!
Eagerly anticipating your next installment.

Stop typing on your phone @gerardcarey Look up, look around you - I’m sure there’s a atory happening somewhere nearby!
Eagerly anticipating your next installment.
You telling me off again? Us kiwi blokes need a little direction now and then right? I'm off up the Acropolis tomorrow morn. Even St Paul preached up there. He was on a pilgrim's way also eh?
Regards
Gerard

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
You telling me off again? Us kiwi blokes need a little direction now and then right? I'm off up the Acropolis tomorrow morn. Even St Paul preached up there. He was on a pilgrim's way also eh?
Regards
Gerard
Coming soon to a pilgrim forum near you.... @gerardcarey ‘s first sermon!

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2013
Francés (2015)
My husband and i both have worn them on two Caminos, and we loved them! Planning to walk again in October and will be wearing them (new ones) again. My first pair showed hardly any wear after finishing the Francés. They dried easily in the rain and feel like floating on clouds. Buen Camino!!

Camino(s) past & future
Planning April/May 2018
I have Speedgoats; I’m taking them on my first Camino in 3 weeks, starting from SJPDP on 20th April. They’re a fantastic shoe, I just hope they hold up to the elements, taking into consideration the rain & cold on the Frances at the moment.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
We were in a sports store the other day supposedly buying raincoats for the kids.....I remembered this thread.....I tried on all their Hokas.....both in my normal size and bigger.....they do feel floaty....but they also pinch my toes so I won’t be joining this club!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-2015
Hokas are the best---wore them on frances and Podiensis

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Torpedo 7, K Rd - look online too

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
@Keith H they’ve got a few on special at the moment - some just over $100, but limited sizes.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances October 2018
I walked in Hoka Challenger trail running shoes. I did get one very small blister on the outer side of my heel, but I think that was more the result of my sock. Very, very comfortable and held up well! I love them.
Great to hear. I'll be walking the Frances in october in the same shoes. I've walked about 500km in them so far (will get a new pair for the Camino) and I love them! Thanks for sharing your feedback!

I have another thread going on Altras, because that is what my guy in REI recommended. Lots of positive comments for them as well.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/question-about-altras.53802/

So keeping with my tradition of obsessing about shoes, I thought I would see if I could figure out the difference between these two. Seems that they are very similar in what they do, with the main differences being the no-drop in the Altras and the toe box being more foot-shaped in the Altras. I found a video that compares them. It is too long, but has left me with the sense that the Altras are right for me, not because of any flaw in the Hokas but because what I have been told I need is a wide toe box. And that is definitely wider in the Altras. If that is not something you need, looks like the Hokas would be the better shoe.

Buen camino, Laurie

Chaya

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SdC Ap-May14
Navx-Muxia Mar-Ap17
SJPP-SdC May17
SJPP-Fterre Feb-Mar18
Cahors-Fterre (Sep-Oct18)
I have just finished my first winter Camino in Hoka tor summit. This was my 4th Camino and my 3rd wearing Hoka's. I had deep snow, rain, mud and trails that had become creek crossings. In 34 days of walking, only 2 days did my Hoka's get a slight bit of moisture inside. And they were dry by morning (newspaper!) Most likely from walking through deeper water. I also wore gaiters, which was great for the cold and mud as well as snow.
These shoes are like walking with pillows tied to my feet.
Just make sure that you replace the innersole with something comfortable and sturdy. The sales guy told us that the innersoles supplied were not meant for long term use.
Buen Camino!

CatherineAnn

CF summer 2016
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012)
Camino Frances (2016)
I used the trail Hokas and loved them. They held up. I used Merrill Moab ventilators the first time with great results but developed plantar faciatis while training for my second and the Hokas were the only shoe I could wear without pain walking or not.

Camino(s) past & future
CF St Jean - Santiago (2015)
St Jean - Ronsenvalles (2016)
St Jean - Santiago (aug 2018)
Wondering about the sizing with Hoka Tor Summit mids - Did those who’ve worn them on the camino comfortably buy them one size up to get the toe clearance? I used Merrill Moab’s first time and ended up in a lot of pain.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances from SJPP on 2015, 2016, 2018
Way of St. Francis, Italy April 2017
Portuguese (2018)
Wondering about the sizing with Hoka Tor Summit mids - Did those who’ve worn them on the camino comfortably buy them one size up to get the toe clearance? I used Merrill Moab’s first time and ended up in a lot of pain.
They do not make the Hoka Tor Summit mids anymore. I've walked 3 times in these boots and loved them and was so disappointed in their replacement the Tor Tech Mids. They aren't nearly as cushy as the Tor Summit.

Camino(s) past & future
August (2018)
I have been training for the Camino in Hokas, on the recommendation of my sports podiatrist, for the past few months. I have both the low cut Tor Summit and Mafate Speed 2. Both have Vibrum soles and I have waterproofed the Mafate shoes. Just love them both. In the past and on other long distance treks, I have always worn boots ( Scarpa, Salamon, Grisport) and I absolutely love my Grisport boots. So I'm torn - do I go for ankle support but firmer under foot - or no ankle support and softer underfoot on the Camino ? Thanks!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2020)
I have been training for the Camino in Hokas, on the recommendation of my sports podiatrist, for the past few months. I have both the low cut Tor Summit and Mafate Speed 2. Both have Vibrum soles and I have waterproofed the Mafate shoes. Just love them both. In the past and on other long distance treks, I have always worn boots ( Scarpa, Salamon, Grisport) and I absolutely love my Grisport boots. So I'm torn - do I go for ankle support but firmer under foot - or no ankle support and softer underfoot on the Camino ? Thanks!
My 2 centavos. Again, caveat here: I havent walked the Camino yet. But I have hiked a lot in some pretty rough spots and trail runners have been great. The research on the benefits of ankle support for most boots indicates it is of little actual value because the boots don’t go high enough to be of use. You need to get up toward ‘punk rocker in Doc Marten’s’ sort of level. Comfort is waaaay more important in the successful completion of a walk imo.

Waterproofing is another thing many discuss. It only helps if water gets on the shoe, it’s actually a hinderance if water gets ‘in’ the shoe. If water gets inside then it can take ages for them to dry out.

Camino(s) past & future
Update- I wore Hoka One One trail runners on my recent Camino on the Le Puy route. They performed fabulously! Others have commented that they are like "walking on pillows" and that was my experience, too. The thick soles are very soft and pliable. They grip well, even on wet rocks. I never slipped nor lost my footing and the soles extend slightly beyond the shoe itself, so twisting an ankle is nearly impossible due to this extra support. My friend, wearing her new Salomons, had a few issues on wet rocks as the hard, deep treads slipped quite easily as they had very little grip on the hard wet surfaces. Thumbs up on the Hoka's!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%