• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone used the eCamino app

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
hello,
In my attempt to travel lightweight, I've decided to take the Brierley map book and back it up with a phone app. Currently I have one called, rather prosaically, the Camino Guide App which seems pretty good. But I notice that there is also one called eCamino which seems to be connected with Mr Brierley somehow. The reviews in the Google store are less than glowing; it also requires payment for any of the properly useful stuff. Has anyone here used it, and if so is it as rubbish as the naysayers think?

TIA

Ian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You don't need an app, or a book for that matter.
You can follow the yellow arrows and the hundreds of pilgrims that will be within sight in front of you.
Buen Camino!

I like having a guidebook to understand where I am, learn about the places, know how many more km I have to still walk today. Assuming you are taking a smartphone with you, take pictures of the pages of the guide book: no extra weight and all the info you want.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Has anyone here used it

Hi, yes, I downloaded it. However, I had to uninstall it because it kept beeping during the night. I keep my smartphone under my pillow, and it kept waking me up. I tried every which way to turn off the beep, but failed miserably. I wasn’t using the app anyway . . . . I much prefer printed guides.
Jill

I too liked to understand what's to come, so wanted to carry information. I didn't carry a book, though, only my tablet. I had a photocopy of the Brierley book, plus used these apps: Camino Pilgrim, Camino de Santiago, and Wise Pilgrim. They each offered something different. I didn't use all of them all the time, just when additional information was helpful. Features I particularly liked: 1. the Wise Pilgrim elevation profile with distances. Because it covers the whole route, it was easier to think through my realistic distances each day. 2. the Camino Pilgrim scheduling feature allowed me to roughly plan stops, and easy to adjust to my actual stops. I needed to be in Santiago by a certain date, and this helped make sure I made it. 3. The Camino de Santiago app is completely offline (the other two have both offline and online only features), and the descriptions of the albergues was helpful.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.