• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone using a Drone?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I have been thinking of taking a drone on my next walk and would like to hear actual user experiences. There are a million drones, but the cheapest ones have limited battery life (eg 15 min or less) and are not much good in a breeze (according to some users). The better ones see Best drones have better battery life, controllability etc but are expensive and heavy/bulky to carry in a pack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A pilgrim who posted a wonderful blog 'My day in a minute' used a drone; and
I am thinking of taking one on my next walk. But I know zip (or even less) about which ones are both good and practical.

The Best drones are bulky, heavy and expensive. The small, 'pocket size' drones have limited battery life, and some users say they are 'useless' in a breeze - but they would be ideal to carry in a pack for occasional fun use.

Then there is the controller and user app. Tablets are out for me - too bulky to lug around, so I need a drone to work well using a phone for navigation etc - but remember I know zip.

Over to you, guys.

Bob M

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We took one on ours, but did not use it much. Once you start walking you regret stoping to unpack the drone set it up. By the time you have set it up your new friends have walked on and you are also so tired you can’t be bothered. We sent it up sometimes when we were in town. Some towns it’s ok but be weary of restrictions. My next walk I will stick to my go pro only. There are lots of drone footage on YouTube of the Camino, but the footage at eye level seem to enspire me the most.

You can check out Efren's Camino drone videos here.

He talks about the Mavic Pro Drone he uses at about the 3:25 minute mark on this video.

Mavic drones can be found here

I have been thinking of taking one my next Camino on the VdlP.
I use one for my business YouTube channels.
The Mavic 2 zoom, similar to the one Efren uses.
A great drone.
But......... way too heavy for me to carry.
So I'm researching much smaller ones.
Of course you sacrifice flight time and camera quality............
At this stage I would pick the Mavic Spark I think.
But hopefully something lighter will come along.

Whilst I love Efren's videos, just a word of caution.
I'm not sure what the drone laws are like in Spain, but flying over towns and streets like that would be illegal here in Australia. (safety rules) Unless you are a certified drone pilot.

And of course don't be a nuisance to others!

I really only fly video drones in remote areas away from people.

Found this. Similar to many countries:

Last edited:
A pilgrim who posted a wonderful blog 'My day in a minute' used a drone; and
I am thinking of taking one on my next walk. But I know zip (or even less) about which ones are both good and practical.

The Best drones are bulky, heavy and expensive. The small, 'pocket size' drones have limited battery life, and some users say they are 'useless' in a breeze - but they would be ideal to carry in a pack for occasional fun use.

Then there is the controller and user app. Tablets are out for me - too bulky to lug around, so I need a drone to work well using a phone for navigation etc - but remember I know zip.

Over to you, guys.

Bob M

You are right. Good drones are expensive and heavy.
But the video quality is great.

In my research I'm finding the using the controller over a phone app has advantages.
Specifically longer range (controller aerials) and easy to fly (joy sticks)

On my Mavic 2 Zoom I use the controller, with my phone as the screen. Works great.
Video quality is outstanding.
But as mentioned, I would not want to carry that extra weight.......

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My interest would be using a drone in remoter places, maybe to watch me clambering up a steep trail, or to fly over an interesting section while taking a break. The thing is to figure out innovative and imaginative uses for the technology - other than just an eye in the sky for its wow! factor. That's the hard (but worthwhile) part - being different.

FYI, I did another search for Cheap drones.

Bob M

Very helpful responses, everyone.

Setup time and packup time would rule out me using a drone while on the road. I like to keep on the move. That would limit a drone (for me) to end of day (or start of day) uses.

Robo's comments about legalities is another thing to consider.

Weight and more junk to cart around is not a happy thought either.

I will look at a few YouTube videos to see if there is anything really creative and innovative to make the hassle worthwhile.
Maybe I could fly my drone up and down the dormitory in dawn's early light to capture all those slumbering bodies. Good idea?

Bob M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe I could fly my drone up and down the dormitory in dawn's early light to capture all those slumbering bodies. Good idea?
Bob M

Why not? It could help the sleepy heads by drowning out the sound of alarms and rustling backpacks. :)

Sorry guys. Uploaded in error and I can't see how to delete this message. See my other post on the same topic.

Bob M
Go back into your posting, tap the 3 dots & arrow next to 'report' bottom LH corner & one of the options is 'delete'; you just have to give a reason, ie. error 🙂

Yes! Efren is the man. See his VF stuff at: https://www.efrengonzalez.com/via-francigena .Efren's blogs and posts are really special IMO. His work really grabs me.

Bob M
Efren's vlogs are outstanding...I'm amazed by what he did while on the trail. Of course he is/was a professional TV cameraman so knows his stuff (incl editing, etc) plus he was prepared to pull a cart to lug all his gear around. Why not reach out to him directly? Worth a try I reckon! 😊
👣 🌏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Bob M

It might... especially if you wished to have the drone parked in a lower part of your anatomy (if I am in the albergue)...

But maybe you are just stirring...?

I have been thinking of taking a drone on my next walk and would like to hear actual user experiences. There are a million drones, but the cheapest ones have limited battery life (eg 15 min or less) and are not much good in a breeze (according to some users). The better ones see Best drones have better battery life, controllability etc but are expensive and heavy/bulky to carry in a pack.

I suggest that drones be used with the utmost discretion, if the reaction of fellow pilgrims is of any relevance to you.

While the visual technology is great, the propulsion system is often very noisy and intrusive, and there are privacy issues associated with the use of drones in public spaces - not sure about statutory constraints but respect for the privacy and peace of fellow pilgrims should be a consideration.

Do not expect every fellow pilgrim (me included) to welcome a drone in their vicinity.

Last edited:
I admit I am often mesmerised by the beautiful images captured by drones . What isn't so nice is the shattered peace of a reflective moment as one hovers over the very landscape you have walked to for hours to admire .
It takes discretion and empathy to pilot one without becoming intrusive .
There is a town in the US that issues licences allowing you to fire upon drones flying directly over your own property :eek:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go back into your posting, tap the 3 dots & arrow next to 'report' bottom LH corner & one of the options is 'delete'; you just have to give a reason, ie. error 🙂
Thank you for the solution 😇 (I could not find an emoji for genius). There is some good advice here from you, Marie_Pri and LesR that I would not want to have disappear, so I will leave the thread here - unless anyone knows if it is possible to 'merge' two threads.

Bob M

It might... especially if you wished to have the drone parked in a lower part of your anatomy (if I am in the albergue)...

But maybe you are just stirring...?

Stirring? Never let it be said. The more I think about it the more the idea appeals. What better way to improve my flying/evasion skills than by having my drone dodge thrown boots, poles etc? Of course, I would have to watch my own body as well to fend off indirect attacks.

BobM

Why not? It could help the sleepy heads by drowning out the sound of alarms and rustling backpacks. :)

Yes! This is such a great idea.

BobM

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
. . . It takes discretion and empathy to pilot one without becoming intrusive . There is a town in the US that issues licences allowing you to fire upon drones flying directly over your own property :eek:

Discretion and empathy are the keys to flying drones around other people and their property. If a drone flew over my backyard I would adopt a two-phase approach: (1) Make drone crash, (2) Strangle operator.

Bob M

Stirring? Never let it be said. The more I think about it the more the idea appeals. What better way to improve my flying/evasion skills than by having my drone dodge thrown boots, poles etc? Of course, I would have to watch my own body as well to fend off indirect attacks.

BobM
Discretion and empathy are the keys to flying drones around other people and their property. If a drone flew over my backyard I would adopt a two-phase approach: (1) Make drone crash, (2) Strangle operator.

Bob M
And therein lies a problem I've encountered.
At a coastal scenic spot in NSW, a drone not only buzzed me, it was actually lowered to my head level. I took a swing at it (which I'm sure gave the operator endless amusement & probably ended up on Facebook or YouTube.. 😠) but it was quickly steered away. I couldn't even see where the flyer was...they remained well hidden & the drone disappeared in the distance so there was no accountability.
This very point was illustrated late last year when Gatwick Airport was shut down due to drone activity in the airspace & the authorities could not trace it detaining that totally innocent couple instead.
Also here in Tassie, a sign at the iconic viewing point of Cradle Mountain used to say 'Fishing prohibited'. Now it says 'Use of drones prohibited'...in 4 different languages.
Hopefully legislation can keep up with usage...as long as operators keep up with the legislation.
👣🌏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
FORBIDDEN BY LAW. Don't even dream about it.
He's just trolling his own thread. It's unusual, but perhaps the OP wasn't really interested in drones after all or perhaps he has received all the advice he wants and he's decided to hang around just to wind people up. I guess he feels that it's his thread to take down a trollish rat-hole.

He's just trolling his own thread. It's unusual, but perhaps the OP wasn't really interested in drones after all or perhaps he has received all the advice he wants and he's decided to hang around just to wind people up. I guess he feels that it's his thread to take down a trollish rat-hole.

Trolling by drone is forbidden too!

animated-smileys-taunting-14.gif

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I use a drone Anafi Parrot drone because it is rather silent. It is light : the drone (190 g) + the battery (130 g) is 320 g and it is easy to put into action with a range of 22 to 25 minutes per battery. The quality of the images is good or better. I respect the rules, I am not intrusive and I respect privacy (this for people who come evil everywhere). I chose to use a drone in addition to a camera and not to replace it. The shots on the ground and at altitude are complementary.
Regards
Henri

I was on the CF this last month and a bit and as you climb up the Pyrenees, past Orisson, and you come to the statue of the Virgin Mary some idiots were using a drone. The French man even shouted at me when I walked within 2 metres of it when it was on the ground. On reflection I deeply regret not stamping on it. Absolutely ruined that peaceful and amazing location.

Is it legal? In Denmark we have very strict rules for using a drone 🤔🤔

Please if you take a drone can you use it only when there aren’t other pilgrims around trying to have quiet contemplative time? I don’t know about others, but the site of a buzzing object overhead makes me nervous 😥

I would worry about lugging cameras and drones on my vacation. I know people do it, but they are heavy and expensive and a potential target for theft. My husband is very much into RC airplanes and drones and we are always having to wait around because the batteries need to be charged :rolleyes: which gets quite annoying at times!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The television coverage of the Pamplona San Fermin festival now includes drone coverage. RTVE seems to be the leader on its website.

On the highway of Camino Francès, no drone with me : too many people!
My drone is very quiet, that's one of the reasons I chose it: a few meters from the ground, it is inaudible.
As the Caminos de Santiago are not limited to the Camino Francès, I do not think I will embarrass many pilgrims on the Camino del Levante.
On another Camino, last year, I saw my first pilgrim after more than 700 km of walking as I hiked from Sagrès to Santiago.
Regards

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes! Efren is the man. See his VF stuff at: https://www.efrengonzalez.com/via-francigena .Efren's blogs and posts are really special IMO. His work really grabs me.

Bob M

I really enjoyed seeing his footage of storks nesting on the cathedral spires from above on his original CF series.The views of the towns and villages from on high and afar are really quite fabulous also.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are videos inside the cathedral in Santiago and Familia Sagrada in Barcelona. In the days of buggy whips, the motorcar was considered intrusive. We sometimes have to learn to live with technological change. Now we can wax poetic on why the Camino should be reserved for the pastoral...;)

Even better, "why your camino is impinging on my camino.";);)

I worked in daily news for many years, including some time with a live TV camera crew. Sticking cameras or mics in peoples' faces and personal spaces is NOT journalism, or art, or gee-whiz high-tech entertainment. It's a violation of another person. There are dozens of better ways to get a story or image or thrill, or whatever, without violating and disturbing and dishonoring other people, and places, and wildlife.
Leave your toys at home. Walk your pilgrimage. Leave other pilgrims in peace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Bob M
The Worldtowning family (two parents and a daughter and son - 14 and 10 at the time of their camino) made some very nice vlogs from their camino that are worth watching (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYF95BXc3mT_AxzDuMe4Mw6uR-LY3NRjP). They are currently travelling by RV with a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. On their Camino they were using a DJI Phantom 4 (Version UE).

I hope most people will leave those danged things at home.
There's nothing worse, when you're enjoying a beautiful QUIET day on the Camino, than having some annoying drone buzz you and invade your privacy. Leave them home - walk the Camino in peace and leave others to their peace. Please.

Drone? Gopro? Don't bother, in fact don't even bother taking pictures with your cell phone, just walk and enjoy the country side. You will remember it all when you get home without the need of a million photographs. Everyone on here says "it is your own camino" Nobody else will be interested in your pictures / drone shots, they will only be for you. Recalling events and images from your mind keep it strong. I listened to the same place list day after day and now 4 months later when ever I hear a song on this list I can picture, word for word, what I was doing when I heard that song. I have not looked at any pictures I took because the music brings back vivid memories.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We took one on ours, but did not use it much. Once you start walking you regret stoping to unpack the drone set it up. By the time you have set it up your new friends have walked on and you are also so tired you can’t be bothered. We sent it up sometimes when we were in town. Some towns it’s ok but be weary of restrictions. My next walk I will stick to my go pro only. There are lots of drone footage on YouTube of the Camino, but the footage at eye level seem to enspire me the most.
Marie couldn’t agree more I tend to walk the less peopled Caminos and the last thing I want to hear is buzzing over my head. Keep your memories on your phone or go pro.

I think less is probably more when it comes to gadgets on pilgrimage walks. I realise that some people are on an artistic quest, but a bit of discretion would be good. I remember feeling it was quite invasive when people walked by with loud boom boxes on the trail. Happy trails.

Last edited:
I suggest that drones be used with the utmost discretion, if the reaction of fellow pilgrims is of any relevance to you.

While the visual technology is great, the propulsion system is often very noisy and intrusive, and there are privacy issues associated with the use of drones in public spaces - not sure about statutory constraints but respect for the privacy and peace of fellow pilgrims should be a consideration.

Do not expect every fellow pilgrim (me included) to welcome a drone in their vicinity.
Completely agree.! Not a fan of drones, noisy, intrusive...

Anyone using a drone for personal use should be arrested and the drone destroyed, these things are a bane, you are walking along enjoying the scenery and birdsong then you get the high pitched noise of one of those things. Have you considered the invasion of peoples privacy? They are fine for police, military or use by search and rescue organisations but never by the general public. I have had so many trips spoilt by these things appearing above remote mountain tops, tropical beaches, I'm glad to see many National Parks are now banning these things and if one overflies my property I will shoot it down.

If you really must take aerial photos, take a kite and attach your go pro camera, a lightweight solution easy to carry and less intrusive on other people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Drone footage is mesmerizing when done right and “First”. It fades as more people post the same shots over and over. Efren did a great job capturing the Francis, Porto, Norte and Francegina. Few people will be able to capture the footage in a story with his ability. If you need drone shots for actual footage or b-roll you can buy his at Shutterstock. It beats carrying around the extra weight and you can support his outstanding work.

You can check out Efren's Camino drone videos here.

He talks about the Mavic Pro Drone he uses at about the 3:25 minute mark on this video.

Mavic drones can be found here
Efren's use of drones has evolved over time. He no longer uses the Mavic Pro, but a smaller, lighter model. Hoping the link DaveBugg has provided has linked you up to Efren's work. He is now posting more detailed versions of his, "Day in a Minute" offerings from last year's walking of the Via Francigena.

What may be most interesting in the use of drones is his seven videos, one for each Province during his walk of the Camino Frances in 2017.

Here is a link to his first Drone footage Vlog Series;

Mindblowing! Drones on the camino!
Not only would I be very annoyed by such an intrusion, I'd be scared... and would probably report it to the policia.

But then, I'm still using paper maps...

€149,-
What is the law in Spain about drone use? I know in Australia it is illegal to use them within 30 metres of people.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Drone? Gopro? Don't bother, in fact don't even bother taking pictures with your cell phone, just walk and enjoy the country side. You will remember it all when you get home without the need of a million photographs. Everyone on here says "it is your own camino" Nobody else will be interested in your pictures / drone shots, they will only be for you. Recalling events and images from your mind keep it strong. I listened to the same place list day after day and now 4 months later when ever I hear a song on this list I can picture, word for word, what I was doing when I heard that song. I have not looked at any pictures I took because the music brings back vivid memories.
Well, some people are more visual. Like for me personally music has no impact at all, just as well it could stop existing, most likely I wouldn't really notice. But my 2000 photos are a treasure both for me and I can even sell some.

If you can hear a drone that means the operator is very rude and flying it illegally close to you. It's definitely forbidden to fly over people who are not a part of their art project.

What is the law in Spain about drone use? I know in Australia it is illegal to use them within 30 metres of people.

General Spain Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Spain, but there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws when flying in Spain,
  • Do not fly your drone over people or large crowds
  • Do not fly your drone higher than 120 meters (400 feet)
  • Do not fly your drone within 50 meters of buildings, people, or vehicles not associated with the operation of the drone
  • You must fly your drone within visual line of sight at all times
  • Respect others privacy when flying your drone
  • Do not fly your drone within 8km (5 miles) of airports or in areas where aircraft are operating. For flights that are approved to be operated beyond visual line of sight you must stay 15km (9.4 miles) away from airports
  • You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions
  • Do not fly your drone in sensitive areas including government or military facilities. Use of drones or camera drones in these areas are prohibited
  • Do not fly your drone over national parks without a permit allowing you to do so
  • You must be at least 18 years old to fly a drone in Spain
  • The new law requires, both professional pilots and amateurs who use their drone as a hobby, that the aircraft and the remote control be clearly identified By a fireproof identification plate with the name of the owner and the necessary data to be able to contact it

Oh, for goodness sake man, forget the drone, the I pad , and anything else that is keeping you in the teck world, just walk ! clear your head and your heart , and dont annoy us other pilgrims, really ! you dont need it, free yourself !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For me all the snoring in the alburgues are more annoying than a drone flying 50 ft. above (the legal limit). 99 percent of all drone users don’t fly to infringe on anyone’s rights. If a pilgrim wants to lug a drone and fly it without bothering anyone that is their creative right. The drone rules in Spain are very close to the FAA rules in the USA. I would not impose my drone on your privacy nor would I even want you in my shots. People who threaten others because of they merely are flying a drone out in open spaces, not intending to be intrusive to anyone have forgotten the beauty of the Camino which is accepting others for who they are and being open to all cultures, religions and in this case dronies. I’m just an old guy that loves technology and I believe in live and let live. I have learned many things about the Camino on YouTube from post of those that fly their drones and for this I’m thankful. I love the Camino and the pilgrims I have met along the Way. A more tolerant place I do not know of! I will be on the Norte next month (my fourth Camino) and I will do my best not to bother anyone! FYI drones batteries last at best 15-20 mins. but snoring in an albergues last all night...

I think the problem with drones is that operators don't realize that the technology, while not intentionally intrusive, is just that...Buzzzzz, Buzzzzzz, Buzzzzz...click, click, click. And, try as technology users may not to be unintrusive, they intrude. It's similar to people posting my face on their Facebook page. Very innocent, but unintentionally intrusive. I don't want my whereabouts or even me on Facebook or any other platform, without my permission. Or, like my neighbor riding on my internet wifi, which I didn't even know he could do, but the provider added a "community wifi" side to my box which he used, until I shut it down. Seriously?!?
What is important is that we recognize each other. See me not as an object, but for the person I am. Talk to me. Sit down with me over coffee. This is the Spirit of the Camino. This is such a very, very unique opportunity be human together, not objects to be photographed from afar. The Camino is about relationships. Again, I advise leaving it home and watch someone else's video on YouTube. There are tons of them...unfortunately. Come down to earth and revel in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to connect with the mystical experience we call the Camino.

This is seriously the most aggressive thread in a long while. Technology to medievalists is like a red flag to a bull. Acceptance only for their way. Tolerance if you are the same. Actually already in the middle ages it was established that anybody was allowed to walk the Camino and there were no additional conditions to that.

To each their own. Others will say "Don't have a play list that you listen to. Listen to the birdsong and the sounds of the Camino. When you walk with earbuds in, you close yourself off from interactions." You enjoyed your music and it brings you back to the moment when you hear it now. Similarly, others may enjoy framing a photo and find that the photos and videos they took bring them back to moments they treasure.

When I was a bit younger, I could be confident in my ability to remember it all. My memory isn't what it used to be and I appreciate anything, including photos and videos - my own and others' - that can prompt it.

Last edited:
A good slingshot might find its place on my packing list.
That's how annoying and impolite I find drones that buzz over me while enjoying a quiet walk through nature.

Food for thought.... I don’t about Spain, but in the USA the FAA controls the airspace and that means even over our property. The FAA considers shooting any projectile at aircraft very bad (Felony). A drone is a UAS= Unmanned Aircraft System. It would not be a good idea to take down a drone with a slingshot, bullet, cannon...wow this thread is a hot topic!

The FAA considers shooting any projectile at aircraft very bad (Felony). A drone is a UAS= Unmanned Aircraft System.
Shooting at someone's toy is hardly the same as shooting at an aircraft with human lives at stake.
And these are toys. Expensive ones, but still toys. And annoying ones for those who seek quiet.
Please. Feel free to play with them at home...and then leave them there.

Spain Drone Laws

General Spain Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Spain, but there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws when flying in Spain,
  • Do not fly your drone over people or large crowds
  • Do not fly your drone higher than 120 meters (400 feet)
  • Do not fly your drone within 50 meters of buildings, people, or vehicles not associated with the operation of the drone
  • You must fly your drone within visual line of sight at all times
  • Respect others privacy when flying your drone
  • Do not fly your drone within 8km (5 miles) of airports or in areas where aircraft are operating. For flights that are approved to be operated beyond visual line of sight you must stay 15km (9.4 miles) away from airports
  • You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions
  • Do not fly your drone in sensitive areas including government or military facilities. Use of drones or camera drones in these areas are prohibited
  • Do not fly your drone over national parks without a permit allowing you to do so
  • You must be at least 18 years old to fly a drone in Spain
  • The new law requires, both professional pilots and amateurs who use their drone as a hobby, that the aircraft and the remote control be clearly identified By a fireproof identification plate with the name of the owner and the necessary data to be able to contact it
Note #1
Yup, just like in the USA except for that fireproof identifier...thanks I learned something.

Shooting at someone's toy is hardly the same as shooting at an aircraft with human lives at stake.
And these are toys. Expensive ones, but still toys. And annoying ones for those who seek quiet.
Please. Feel free to play with them at home...and then leave them there.
My last point on this subject because I really do enjoy this forum and don’t want to aggravate anyone stating a simple fact. However, shooting at any moving object in the sky is probably not a safe idea. I would think lives could be at stake when shooting into the sky, be it a toy, UAS (drone), or whatever label you want to call it. Hence the felony offense in the USA. Like I said above you just might be able to shoot at a “toy” in the sky in Spain, I’m not sure (probably not ,because their laws are the same governing drone usage).Seeing anyone anywhere shooting into the sky, be my neighborhood or the Camino would disturb me far more than anyone flying a drone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What an appalling idea! Drones are one of the menaces of modern life, a destroyer of the peace and solitude of nature, like the annoying buzz of an alarm clock that drags you from a beautiful dream. I am rather shocked that people walking on the Camino would think of inflicting such a curse on their fellow pilgrims and the local people.

Unfortunately there is no limit to the possible uses and applications for drones,
this clip speaks for itself ;
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of those who would desecrate the Holy Camino with anything akin to this :eek:.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unfortunately there is no limit to the possible uses and applications for drones,
this clip speaks for itself ;
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of those who would desecrate the Holy Camino with anything akin to this :eek:.

Hey x I want one of those.. be ideal to deal with any drones on my next Camino!

Sep 14th.I was lying on my bed, not fully dressed, on the first floor of the lovely parochial albergue in Belorado. There was a very small window at my head. At first I thought the sound was a swarm of wasps. I could'nt believe it, a very sleek white drone was buzzing the bedroom windows. As silly as the pilgrim face-timing a friend from a top bunk, and panning around to include pilgrims standing like storks getting in or out of their clothes. Yep, you can tell it's been a while since I have been on the Camino🤣 And there are plenty of beds in Alfaro tonight where I am hospitaleria for the next 2 weeks. I promise you will not be Instagrammed🙏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One drone gets its just deserts...

View attachment 62147
I have given up on the drone idea. The eagle did it for me, even though the pic is only photoshopped. I already stress about turtles eating plastic bags in the ocean. Not creatures in the sky as well. :eek:

BTW, a bit of nerdiness re comments above re shooting into the sky: Remember the ballistics equations you may have learned about in high school physics? The velocity of a spent round at impact equals the velocity of projection (ignoring air resistance)

Bob M

Last edited:
Sep 14th.I was lying on my bed, not fully dressed, on the first floor of the lovely parochial albergue in Belorado. There was a very small window at my head. At first I thought the sound was a swarm of wasps. I could'nt believe it, a very sleek white drone was buzzing the bedroom windows. As silly as the pilgrim face-timing a friend from a top bunk, and panning around to include pilgrims standing like storks getting in or out of their clothes. Yep, you can tell it's been a while since I have been on the Camino🤣 And there are plenty of beds in Alfaro tonight where I am hospitaleria for the next 2 weeks. I promise you will not be Instagrammed🙏

Nice writing, lizwalking. Great imagery.

One thing puzzles me: What's 'Instagrammed'? Is it something like a 'telegram'? A telegram is a bit like 'twitter' I believe: very terse.

Bob M

Last edited:

€149,-
Nice writing, lizwalking. Great imagery.

One thing puzzles me: What's 'Instagrammed'? Is it something like a 'telegram'? A telegram is a bit like 'twitter' I believe: very terse.

Bob M
It means that I won't post your photo to my instagram account(unlikely as I'm not on Instagram anyway😁)

It means that I won't post your photo to my instagram account(unlikely as I'm not on Instagram anyway😁)

Thanks for clearing that up. 'Facebook' is something else I have heard of as well that you might be able to help me with. Is 'Facebook' something like a photo album?😕

BTW, well done re being a hospitalera. I hope you keep all those storks under control.

Bob M

Im watching at the moment a family who has done the camino in 2018 and they include lots of drone footage on their youtube channel.

I have to say, the videos wouldnt be the same without this footage and i think its very good to have drone footage, if you want to document your camino and are a filmmaker.

€60,-
Im watching at the moment a family who has done the camino in 2018 and they include lots of drone footage on their youtube channel.

I have to say, the videos wouldnt be the same without this footage and i think its very good to have drone footage, if you want to document your camino and are a filmmaker.
I am interested in getting a drone. I think aerial footage does give a perspective and tells the story a bit differently. I’m interested in your thought, what else you create as a videographer, and what drone you use.

I am interested in getting a drone. I think aerial footage does give a perspective and tells the story a bit differently. I’m interested in your thought, what else you create as a videographer, and what drone you use.
I have Mavic Platinum, it's hobby class under 900 g. Now they make even lighter ones (250 g) that are even a class lower which means less restrictions when flying. In Europe every country has their own drone rules - how you can fly, how high (those maps look like colourful patchworks), where, what you need for flying (like registration of the drone and/or operator, online test for operator, insurance, hi-vis vests etc). I only check the country I plan to visit, no need to try remember each and every detail at once. There's plenty of sites that have drone rules per country with links to official sources. Also apps for the phone to fly and to plan. Having the drone comfortably and safe in a special suitcase, all the accessories, batteries make quite a big heap of carry stuff. While you probably can pack a piece in each family members backpack a car would make things much easier. Also you can't fly just any day, the weather matters very much. If you want to film some point of interest you may have to wait for the weather many days.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I will look in to the Mavic line. I think my camino this year will not happen, but I can still invest in a drone and try it out in my neighborhood. Thanks again.

€46,-
You may want to consider whether pilgrims, and others, want a drone buzzing over their heads while on a reflective, spiritual, religious pilgrimage. Just a suggestion.

You may want to consider whether pilgrims, and others, want a drone buzzing over their heads while on a reflective, spiritual, religious pilgrimage. Just a suggestion.
Absolutely! I would try to be as discrete as possible in capturing an aerial view.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I will look in to the Mavic line. I think my camino this year will not happen, but I can still invest in a drone and try it out in my neighborhood. Thanks again.
Yes, definitely try it out first, learn the controls, that may take a while mostly because of the weather. You need no or minimal wind, no gusts, no rain, no clouds that obscure your vision, magnetic field within limits. And you need to figure out how you will transfer your footage or photos from the micro memory card (btw get a bigger one than what comes in the set) to your devices. I got a special transfer stick and app to use it. Learn to edit your footage. Maybe you know already, then I would like to hear your preferences as I'm just starting too. I use Streamclip from Squared5, it's free and approved by stock sites so good enough for me.

If you can hear a drone buzzing over your head please do call police, this is both illegal and dangerous for you and others and people doing this should be stopped. Flying within legal limits you will never even notice the drone is there if you are not specifically looking for the speck in the blue. In Spain and EU countries it's not allowed to fly over people, animals, property, bigger roads, bridges, railroads, in those laws where it's specified more in detail it even says 100m horizontal distance. You can't hear a quality hobby size drone already at 10 m from you, closer it's slight swooshing sound. Bumble bee is louder. Or if it's a makeshift drone again may be dangerous. That's only about the technical aspect but there's also privacy laws that are taken seriously too.

'Facebook' is something else I have heard of as well that you might be able to help me with. Is 'Facebook' something like a photo album?😕
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and others are social media sites where you can keep in touch with your friends and family or show off to random strangers anywhere in the world if you want so.
In Twitter you write a short text message, a few words describing how you feel, what you think of something in the news, or what are you doing.
Instagram is like a photo album, you can post photos and videos there.
Facebook gives you a Timeline where you can post text, photos, videos, stories, mark where you are at a given moment (which you really better don't for safety reasons as it alerts your home is empty), join groups of like minded people (they also have Camino groups), see the timelines of your friends and family and write on those timelines for everybody to see or send a personal message only for that person, the site reminds you their birthdays, interesting events nearby, there's online marketplace sell/buy used stuff.
On all those sites you can choose your privacy settings - only select people or public. They are fun as long as you don't reveal too much personal information, i.e. share the posts of cute kittens but not of your kids.
Hope this helped.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.