• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone walking French camino in late Dec. 2014 or early 2015?

Jill O'Connor

I have some time off work then and was hoping to fly from Melbourne Australia to SJPP and walk the section from there to Burgos but don't fancy walking on my own - well I don't mind walking during the day on my own but would prefer to share a meal and conversation at the end of the day. Even if for the first few days... did this last year (from Burgos to Leon) and it worked out well. Any others planning to walk at this time?
Thanks and cheers,
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have some time off work then and was hoping to fly from Melbourne Australia to SJPP and walk the section from there to Burgos but don't fancy walking on my own - well I don't mind walking during the day on my own but would prefer to share a meal and conversation at the end of the day. Even if for the first few days... did this last year (from Burgos to Leon) and it worked out well. Any others planning to walk at this time?
Thanks and cheers,
Jill

I am looking at March or April, but in early planning stage. Starting at SJPdP .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks and cheers,
Jill
Me and a friend are going to start the walk early January from StJean?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Oh really :) Do you have an actual date? I had almost decided to either forget the whole idea or start from Leon and see if anyone could begin with me from there. The thing is I have to make up my mind soon so that I can buy an air fare. Cheers Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had almost decided to either forget the whole idea or start from Leon and see if anyone could begin with me from there.
Don't forget the whole idea. Do start from Leon. (somewhere in the do's and don'ts of the Camino.)

Everyone has some trepidation about walking. Don't let yours keep you from going. You do not NEED a walking companion. One usually is just a Dumbo's feather!;) Life is a solo venture (if you think about it), so spending it waiting for others can be very restricting. That said, January is a VERY quiet time. Buen camino.

Jill, go for it. You said it worked out fine last year, walking from Burgos to a Leon, so no reason this would be any different. I don't think it matters whether you start in France and walk to Burgos, or take up where you left off last year, in Leon. Just be sure to read the winter Camino advice by @mspath - particularly her suggestions for alternative routes when it snows.

Jill,

Walking in winter can be a great pleasure, but you must be PREPARED!

Be sure to check out what others and I have written in these earlier Forum threads re winter camino expense and walking in winter. Both threads are filled with practical advice and helpful tips from veteran walkers.

Sillydoll/Amawalker who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. Winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this hazardous situation

Other difficult stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebreiro. In bad weather I have always walked on the verges of parallel roads.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Whatever you choose enjoy your journey,

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We (my wife and I) plan to start from SJPdP on 16/Dec. We will walk at a relativelly slow pace, planning to take 40 days to reach Santiago. We plan to do SJPdP - Roncesvalles in two stages, stopping at Valcarlos. We plan to do O Cebreiro stages in two days too. Also, we will stop an extra days to rest in the important cities (Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, León). There is a other stage that we will split in two too, but can't remember which one righ now.
Would be a pleasure meeting you in the camino :)

Of course, this is the plan made at home. We don't plan on following it rigorously. We will follow our feelings (physically and mentally) and will walk at the pace we can.

Warm regards,
Adrian

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back