Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

anyone walking from st jpdport 16 dec

peaco

hello, i am just thinking about starting from st jean on dec 16 or 17, is it a bad time to start, or has anyone experience of this time of year. i have walked in April and August, will there be any prob getting a bed ? on the route. regards, patrick

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The refuge Esprit du Chemin in St Jean will be closed but there are other places to stay. Many of the albergues will be closed but you could stay in small hostales/hotels.
I have a post on my blog on walking in winter with a few diary comments on walking in December.

Buen suerte!

uluruslo

Hi Patrick. Did you decide to start camino on 16 or 17th? Am thinking the same if everyrthing goes well. Let me know if your on the way to SJPP or you've decided for some other time.

peaco

Hello Ularussia, after having read the blogs, i have decided not to go in December.that owing to the prospect of severe snow, and covered up signposts, diversions , and what if the diversions got covered or waylaid, if you have done this walk already you will know that it is a wise choice. i now hope to start at St Jean , mid April. as i have done previously, it sure is one long trek, and its your feet and mind that will get you there.

Javier Martin

Veteran Member
Hi, peaco,

Good decision, it's not the best moment to begin in St. Jean, the whole Spain is under a general bad weather with cold and snow.

The best would be to begin in Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
No a bad idea Annie! The Association Via Francigena had this advice for us when we were planning to walk the VF from Lac Leman:
The pass of the Great St-Bernard is closed to the traffic until the 15th of June. The AVF has arranged to rent (free for the Friends-AMIS AVF mercii!) in case of snow of SNOW SHOES at CRYSTAL Sport in Orsières CH to give back at the Casa Ospitaliera St-Oyen-Italy (grazie!!). Follow advices for the climbing, we don't assume any responsabiity!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads