• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone walking la Voie de Vézelay yet?

Peter Lockwood

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, planning April (2018)
Hi. I started walking at Sainte Foy la Grande a few days ago after a retreat at Village des Pruniers. Haven't met any other pilgrims yet. Stayed at le Moulin de Piis (what a wonderful place!) near La Réole 2 nights ago and was the first this season. In Bazas tonight.
So I'm wondering if there's anyone else in the vicinity heading for St Jean? Happy to share tips, experiences with travellers ahead or behind me.
Its been muddy and green so far with so many spring flowers. And the walking is like meditation for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Peter you missed me... I live near the Vezeley path but I'm 2 days from you. I've walked from home to Sainte Foy but not beyond... I keep telling myself one day I'll walk from home to Fisterra :)

Have a wonderful walk!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi. I started walking at Sainte Foy la Grande a few days ago after a retreat at Village des Pruniers. Haven't met any other pilgrims yet. Stayed at le Moulin de Piis (what a wonderful place!) near La Réole 2 nights ago and was the first this season. In Bazas tonight.
So I'm wondering if there's anyone else in the vicinity heading for St Jean? Happy to share tips, experiences with travellers ahead or behind me.
Its been muddy and green so far with so many spring flowers. And the walking is like meditation for me.

Buen Camino...I plan to start in Vezelay last week of September...how are you finding places to stay? Cost? Signage?

Excellent that you stayed in Moulin de Piis, I loved that place! For your upcoming stays I can recommend the refuge Hôtel de la Lune in Orthez. Up top in a building from the 13th or 14th century, it has an nice stone spiral staircase to climb. Lots of history attached. Key at the Office de Tourisme.
And I was pleasantly surprised in and around Sauveterre de Béarn, after Orthez. I didn't sleep there, but took my time looking around. Very scenic.
Bon chemin!

Agree with Purky.Hôtel de La Lune is a very comfortable gîte in a magnificent historic building.I stayed there in June last year and also in 2012.I thought Sauveterre de Béarn
was beautiful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, by the way: for the inner pilgrim a huge and delicious pizza (and a nice cold beer) at Auberge du Foirail in Saint-Palais!

Buen Camino...I plan to start in Vezelay last week of September...how are you finding places to stay? Cost? Signage?
Sorry about my slow response. Too much walking eating and sleeping! Will give a better response shortly.

Agree with Purky.Hôtel de La Lune is a very comfortable gîte in a magnificent historic building.I stayed there in June last year and also in 2012.I thought Sauveterre de Béarn
was beautiful.
Thank you. Walking to Orthez today!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Finally finding time to reply to your questions. I'm now in Estella, five days into Spain.

Signage through the part of the Vezelay that I walked was really excellent. Initially I followed the kmz route that I had downloaded from the Dutch Pilgrims Association and imported into maps.me. Worked fine until the day between Captieux and Roquefort where it tried to take me along non existent roads through a pine forest. I'm guessing that the gps logging in the kmz file is old and new pine plantings have changed the roads. So beware! After that I followed the signs primarily and only used the kmz as confirmation. No further problems.

Accommodation has been fine. All the hostels I stayed in were well set up. Much smaller than those in Spain and sometimes I was the only occupant.

At Bazas stayed at a lovely Airbnb hosted by Ela who English.

If you stay at the Moulin de Piis, you might want to allow a bit of time to explore La Réole before crossing the river and walking the few extra km. I didn’t and wish I had.

At Hagetmau the hostel is at:
43.657929, -0.599104
across town from where you register and pay which is the Sports Centre (City Vert) at:
43.651294, -0.590966.
They give you a map which is not very accurate so using a gps might help. Also a bit of unexpected extra walking on top of a long day for me as I had come from Mont de Marsan.

Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back