• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone walking now???

tillyjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
Life is shaping up that my next opportunity to Camino will be next year Dec/Jan.

I would love to hear first hand from someone doing it, what it is actually like on the Way over the Christmas season. (I know there's many posts about it but would love some real time commentary)

If you're out, where are you and how are you finding food and accommodation? And perhaps a comment on the weather. And/or are you posting anywhere that I can follow along?

TIA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They are a number of us out her at the moment, some day we see a dozen people sometimes 5 or 6. A bit of drizzle here and there and some days are a bit windy but generally the weather is beautiful and sunny, I am getting tan lines on my hands and side of my face! Kids are walkibg in t shirts some days. Cold in the shade or when you slow down. Temps usually in the minus when we get up. Cafes are a bit of hit and miss, some days we get our coffee fix some days we don't. No problems so far with food. It's important to contact the next day's albergue to make sure they are open and food is available (either bars or supermarkets). We carry a stash of pasta, instant soup and biscuits for 'just in case.' Of course, weather will probably be very different for you. Who knows. So far albergue have been toasty warm. We are about a third of the way in. Would be happy to recommend some great alburgues to date. Burn camino

They are a number of us out her at the moment, some day we see a dozen people sometimes 5 or 6. A bit of drizzle here and there and some days are a bit windy but generally the weather is beautiful and sunny, I am getting tan lines on my hands and side of my face! Kids are walkibg in t shirts some days. Cold in the shade or when you slow down. Temps usually in the minus when we get up. Cafes are a bit of hit and miss, some days we get our coffee fix some days we don't. No problems so far with food. It's important to contact the next day's albergue to make sure they are open and food is available (either bars or supermarkets). We carry a stash of pasta, instant soup and biscuits for 'just in case.' Of course, weather will probably be very different for you. Who knows. So far albergue have been toasty warm. We are about a third of the way in. Would be happy to recommend some great alburgues to date. Burn camino
Thanks! What route are you on? You've not had trouble getting accommodations then?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
None so far. We are using aprinca.com for accom. On the Camino Frances.

Have a look at winter walk in posts by empath. She is a legend with her information on winter walking

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started on the Via Serrana in Gibraltar the 16th of December and connected with the Via de la Plata in Seville the day after Christmas. I was told there would be a lot of rain (which perhaps is typical), but apart from 3 consecutive days of rain early on I would say the weather down in the south has been ideal for hiking. It IS chilly early in the morning, but by noon the sun is warm (60's F.) and I'm usually plodding along in my t-shirt. Today was the first day I saw frost in the early morning, and I'm sure it will get colder as I move further north.

Accomodation was sparse/unavailable/expensive on certain segments of the Via Serrana (not all of it), but has been INexpensive and plentiful on VdlP so far, which is about what I expected. One of the municipal albergues was closed, but there were cheap alternatives.

I was surprised to find myself with about six other pilgrims a couple of nights ago in Castilblanco de los Arroyos. That might have something to do with people having time off for the holidays, I'm not really sure... I had thought for sure I'd be nearly alone until much further north.

Via de la Plata has so far been very enjoyable in December, I'll have to see how things go throughout January.

I started on the Via Serrana in Gibraltar the 16th of December and connected with the Via de la Plata in Seville the day after Christmas. I was told there would be a lot of rain (which perhaps is typical), but apart from 3 consecutive days of rain early on I would say the weather down in the south has been ideal for hiking. It IS chilly early in the morning, but by noon the sun is warm (60's F.) and I'm usually plodding along in my t-shirt. Today was the first day I saw frost in the early morning, and I'm sure it will get colder as I move further north.

Accomodation was sparse/unavailable/expensive on certain segments of the Via Serrana (not all of it), but has been INexpensive and plentiful on VdlP so far, which is about what I expected. One of the municipal albergues was closed, but there were cheap alternatives.

I was surprised to find myself with about six other pilgrims a couple of nights ago in Castilblanco de los Arroyos. That might have something to do with people having time off for the holidays, I'm not really sure... I had thought for sure I'd be nearly alone until much further north.

Via de la Plata has so far been very enjoyable in December, I'll have to see how things go throughout January.
Thank you. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another amazing and beautiful day walking from Castilblanco to Almadén de la Plata. A razor blue sky and a forest nature park as companions.
Three kings celebrations this evening and the town is buzzing with very happy children.
Let me know if I am boring you.

Eugene, thanks for posting. Was your first stop from Seville Guillena or Castilblanco de Arroyo’s? I am planning to begin on the 9th of February and wondering about whether things are closed up in certain towns for Winter. Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Heather, you will not have a problem finding good places to sleep and eat on the VdlP.
For what it’s worth... I arrived in Seville late morning on 2nd January. I took a local bus to Santiponce(M170) as I didn’t want to walk through the industrial estates. From there it’s about 12km to Guillena and the excellent Albergue La Luz run by Pilar.
Next day to Castilblanco and the Casa Salvadore.
Following day to Almadén de la Plata where I slept in the Albergue Municipal.
This evening I am in Real de la Jara staying in the Alojimento del Peregrino
I have never had any problems getting a decent (usually excellent) food.
Off course I have no idea about your walking plans which could be very different from mine.
Heather, No doubt you will have a great Camino.

Hi Eugene,

I’m considering walking the VdlP in March and am curious to learn how you go on yours. Would you consider keeping us updated, perhaps on a new thread that can be filed under the VdlP Forum?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Alipilgrim, off course I am very happy to share events on the VdlP. However... I will probably get to Merida or Caceres on this Camino. Then back home for my beautiful granddaughter’s first birthday, my ugly brother’s 75th birthday and the horse races at Cheltenham.
I plan to continue the VdlP at the end of April with friends/pilgrims from Korea.
You will be especially privileged should you walk in March as the Spring season moves north with you as you walk each day. I can’t think of anything that equals that experience in nature.
If there’s something specific you need to know about the Via de la Plata please let me know and I will try to give you an answer.

Heather, you will not have a problem finding good places to sleep and eat on the VdlP.
For what it’s worth... I arrived in Seville late morning on 2nd January. I took a local bus to Santiponce(M170) as I didn’t want to walk through the industrial estates. From there it’s about 12km to Guillena and the excellent Albergue La Luz run by Pilar.
Next day to Castilblanco and the Casa Salvadore.
Following day to Almadén de la Plata where I slept in the Albergue Municipal.
This evening I am in Real de la Jara staying in the Alojimento del Peregrino
I have never had any problems getting a decent (usually excellent) food.
Off course I have no idea about your walking plans which could be very different from mine.
Heather, No doubt you will have a great Camino.
Thanks for the response, Eugene. Your entries area great help to me. I have a 2020 guide book (Gerald Kelly) and reading through it. It provides a lot of detail, but the format is so jammed with detail, have a hard time ke it all straight. Elevation charts in the front, mileages throughout, then a large scale maps, a few city maps. I wish there was a simple folded weather proof map of the entire Via de Plata available. Are you using a book or an app to navigate?

Hi there Heather, reporting to you from the Via de la Plata. Well, call me old fashioned, Basically, I follow the route markers on the Camino track. I use Mundicamino’s website for distance and basic info on accommodation. Gronze is good for details on Albergues although it’s in Spanish. I ask locally for good places to eat and use the Turismo office when they are open.
Tonight I am staying in Fuente de Cantos. Last night in Monisterio. No problems with accommodation and had a fantastic meal experience in Monisterio. The weather remains perfect for walking.
I often overthink the housekeeping of Camino when I should be concentrating on my Pilgrimage (however you define that)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back