• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone walking the camino in mid September?

IngeA

I am planning walking the camino in mid September. It's my first and the reasons are many. Would like to know if there's anyone else going, who wouldn't mind a 'tag-along'? Or, a small group who would allow me to follow?
I am a 67 yr 'old' woman coming from Colorado, U.S.A . --- Any response'helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will find dozens of other pilgrims when you start, so you will have a group if you want one. Get your hot tips here in the Forum, but get your new friends on the actual pilgrimage. Have fun!

Hello IngeA,
Are you walking the Camino Frances Route?
Where are you planning to start from?
Buen Camino
Col

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry. I didn't see the replies until just now. Not quite 'tech' enough. :) I am planning on starting at SJPP. Meanwhile, practising at our 'Black Canyon' to try out endurance and terrain.
Also, trying to figure out where best to fly onto? -Thanks for replies.

My preference is to fly into Pamplona and start there. From Pamplona you can take a bus to Roncesvalles and a taxi to SJPdP, if you really want to start there. Iberia Airline has multiple-route flights so you can fly to Pamplona and return from Santiago de Compostela for as little as $1,621 from Denver. Routing through England or France is likely to be more expensive.

Wow. Thank you very much Falcon 269. :) That's worthy and much needed advice. Now, I'm hiking with me (new) back pack to estimate what I really won't need. Thanks again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
what I really won't need
It will include everything that you think you "might" need! If you "might" need it, leave it at home. You can buy almost everything on the Camino, so do not carry it on the possibility that you "might" need it. If you don't visualize needing it every day, it is optional. Visualize rain every day, and take the poncho. Visualize a spare bar of soap, and the first three to four weeks you won't need it, and leave it.

Etc.

I'm traveling early September as well and was able to book a flight on Air France in Biarritz, without requiring an airport transfer. Boston to Degaulle; Lyon FR then Biarritz. I'm spending two days in the Bayonne/Biarritz area then heading to St Jean on an early train. When booking flights, I noticed many of the European discount carriers, required a change in the airport for a connection in London and Paris; which I didn't want to deal with. Flight was around 1200; but it is an open jaw ticket; as I'm returning to Boston through a different departure city.

I got RT from PDX to MAD for $750 for mid-October. I will be serving in Santo Domingo de la Calzada as a hospitalera so it made sense to just fly into Spain.

However, I also recommend looking at flying into Paris and taking the train (or a plane) to Bayonne then to SJPdP. It might take a little longer to get there, but you will have time to adjust to time change and get to see some beautiful parts of France on the train!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look forward to meeting you in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Renegade
Hmmm....maybe I will have walked on, as I am leaving September SJPP on the 8th.
I am in no rush, so see what unfolds. This albergue sounds wonderful. Thanks for your service in advance!

Hi IngeA,

I'll be starting from SJPP on 15th Sept, coming by train from Paris, when are you starting? Will probably see you along the way! =)

hi there gypsy 9, i am leaving from sjpdp on 6th september. i am a slow walker so we may well meet.
it's getting close now, not many more sleeps!
i am in the process of waterproofing my gear as a full on down pour in sydney reminded me of the need.
regards juju

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
gypsy9 said:
Look forward to meeting you in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Renegade
Hmmm....maybe I will have walked on, as I am leaving September SJPP on the 8th.
I am in no rush, so see what unfolds. This albergue sounds wonderful. Thanks for your service in advance!

Oh you will be long past Santo Domingo by the time I get there! I was just mentioning the airfare and my thoughts on where you should fly in....buen camino! Oh, and the municipal albergue is wonderful! They completely remodeled it and it is beautiful! Looking forward to serving there.

Sounds like I will be in the middle of the pack - I should be leaving SJPP either the 7th or 8th. I expect we wilol all intersect at some point along the way.

Adriaan and I will be leaving Roncevalles on 7th Sept and have to be in Santiago by 11th October. Look out for badges on our packs on which are embroidered the words Costa Rica Pura Vida plus 2 dolphins! Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Will be leaving SJPDP on Sept 10th. Hope to see you on the way.

I will be leaving SJPDP on September 9. Looking forward to meet some of you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is great. To have so many nice people offer to accompany me. -- Sorry I did not reply sooner but had lung surgery and was out of the house awhile. (Also have been training at our Black Canyon.)
My son has decided to come with me and I' m soo glad as he also speaks some Spanish, as well as my 15 yr old niece. We have booked and will arrive in Bilbao on Sept 17th. Perhaps we will meet and see some of you.
Buen Camino and great weather for walking.
Thanks again. Inge

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I plan on leaving from SJPP 15 Sep and to celebrate my 65th birthday in SDC end of Oct. Am constantly lurking/perusing the forum for advice. I am so looking forward to this adventure.

Carla
Florida USA

Buen Camino Carla.
It will indeed be an adventure!
Pack very lightly and try to get in as much walking with your pack (now light :wink: ) as you can before you go.
Then....don't plan much past the first night and just let it happen. You will find lots of company and other pilgrims just like you. No worries.

Carla:

Good for you. Sounds like a great way to celebrate. If you are not an experienced hiker I would consider staying in Orisson the first night.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fellow Pilgrims!

I'll start walking from SJPP the morning of 9/14. Stopping in Orisson that night. No rush to get to SDC- I have plenty of time.

After much dreaming and scheming, I am so excited for this pilgrimage ... and already grateful for the people I will meet along the way. I'll be looking for you!

Buen "OMG-this-is-real" Camino,
angela

milvoon2 said:
Hi IngeA,

I'll be starting from SJPP on 15th Sept, coming by train from Paris, when are you starting? Will probably see you along the way! =)

Hi, milvoon2
Where are you coming from? We'll be flying in to Bilbao on Sept. 17th. MY son's friend, who lives there is kind enough to start us out on the camino. It would be very nice to meet you and other kind people. :) Getting excited and re-packing back pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope to start in Roncesvalles on 9/12 or 9/13. I'll be saying goodby to the Colorado mountains on 9/11. Hope to see some of you there! Judy

I'm looking forward to meeting many of on the way. There's always room for new friends! I'll be in SJPP on the 8th of September and plan to start out the next day. It's all so exciting, isn't it? Carmel

Hi! I am starting from Sarria on Sept 19th. Walking to Santiago and then onward. I have two weeks to walk. Hope to meet you on the trail. K

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino to all of you!
Wish I was there. Look out for ripe blackberries in the hill up to Alto de Perdon after Pamplona.
Randi

The Camino Calendar is a useful tool to mark your starting date and point. Click "Camino Calendar" on the bottom center of any page (below the Pilgrim Forum Badge - arrow). It's easy to use and allows other pilgrims to see at which dates they might meet a co-traveler!

Hi Inge,
Please rest assured that you will have no problem meeting people that you can share parts of the journey with. The coming together of fellow pilgrims is special because immediately we find ourselves communicating and sharing on a deeper level than if we just meet someone in normal life. We share an unspoken truth that no matter what our reasons for doing the pilgrimage underneath it all is we are all looking for a happier more fulfilling life so share the same goals. This connects us, it's this that you will find people will come to you without you looking.
Enjoy the journey.

I had torn ligaments and tendinitis in both feet so had to leave the Camino in Burgos. After 7 weeks of treatment I now this weekend return so who knows our paths may cross as I will be going at a snails pace. My name is Jayne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi to all,

I will be starting my camino on the 15th of Sep (or at least arriving for one night at SJPP on that day). I am landing in Madrid on the 13th and although I know the question has been asked and answered many many times before, I am still unclear as to how to arrive to SJPP in the best possible way. I am planning to take a train from Madrid to Pamplona and from there to take the 14:00 bus to SJPP- does anyone knows how long it takes? Should I try a different route? Do I need to reserve a ticket for the bus?
In addition, does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel/hostel in Madrid?

I have to admit that I have a lot of fears going into this, especially since this has been a dream of mine for a long time. This forum has done a lot in easing some of my fears and for that I wish to thank all of you.
Hope to see a lot of you on the way,
Daphna

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
IngeA said:
I am planning walking the camino in mid September. It's my first and the reasons are many. Would like to know if there's anyone else going, who wouldn't mind a 'tag-along'? Or, a small group who would allow me to follow?
I am a 67 yr 'old' woman coming from Colorado, U.S.A . --- Any response'helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Inge! I'm from California. I walked the Camino in May 2010. You will have a wonderful journey and meet many pilgrims along the way. I only met a total of three US citizens on my way. This made my journey that much richer!! You will find your rhythm walking and naturally find the same folks walking along the path each day. I wish I was going again. Perhaps next year. Buen Camino!!
Joni

daphna said:
Hi to all,

I will be starting my camino on the 15th of Sep (or at least arriving for one night at SJPP on that day). I am landing in Madrid on the 13th and although I know the question has been asked and answered many many times before, I am still unclear as to how to arrive to SJPP in the best possible way. I am planning to take a train from Madrid to Pamplona and from there to take the 14:00 bus to SJPP- does anyone knows how long it takes? Should I try a different route? Do I need to reserve a ticket for the bus?
In addition, does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel/hostel in Madrid?

I have to admit that I have a lot of fears going into this, especially since this has been a dream of mine for a long time. This forum has done a lot in easing some of my fears and for that I wish to thank all of you.
Hope to see a lot of you on the way,
Daphna

Daphna,
I flew into Madrid and took the train the same day to Pamplona, then a shuttle to St. Jean. It was a long day, but worth it. I arrived in St. Jean in early afternoon, and stayed an extra day in St. Jean to rest up. It is so very beautiful. I began refreshed and ready for my Camino.
Buen Camino!!
Joni

Well I wish you all the best of luck, we are in our 60's and planning to do it next year,so when you have done it, please lets us know how you got on?-------------- Good Luck. :D

€46,-
My sister and I are starting out from Astorga on Monday 19th september-only a few more days. Looking forward to getting started after months of planning and really looking forward to meeting some of you out there.
Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'll start September 24 from Sarria. This is my first camino.
Back in March I started thinking to do the camino, I found this forum and read everyday all comments, by May, I decided to do it and prepared physically for 4 months, and I can tell you that "the camino" already changed me. (I LOST 84 POUNDS -38 KILOS) I feel a winner already. I weighted 308 lbs in March and today 224 lbs. I can say VIVA EL CAMINO!

You clearly have the determination to do the Camino. Have fun! Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My friend and I will also be doing El Camino in mid September. He is 67 and I will celebrate my 67th on the camino. Have you bought your ticket? I am in Florida.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back